Gymnastics(Men & Women)...

Posted (edited)

It's almost like she was just doing it, like just enough, and not really caring...lots of mistakes and still probably enough to blow the other teams out when done.

Just silly.

Edited by Drew

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Drew said:

It's almost like she was just doing it, like just enough, and not really caring...lots of mistakes and still probably enough to blow the other teams out when done.

Just silly.

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not her best but enough. 

And still a 14.666

Edited by Captain Ron

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

And still a 14.666

best ever...that performance and she still got a 147.666.

Imagine if she nails it in the all around

Just now, randomhorn said:

Yay us! I'm surprised to see China so far down. It's not a 1-2-3 you'd expect

I love that Italy got silver and Brazil got bronze. Huge deal for both of those countries. We are just the dream team. Amazing how dominant we are. Good! Fuck ya’ 

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

On top of that, we were literally the best team on each apparatus. 

I think we finished a close 2nd on the Balance Beam today...but i think if they hit all their spots and don't fall, you're right.

Posted (edited)

IMG_7342.thumb.jpeg.52e5016c53c63e73079866d214c41123.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think we finished a close 2nd on the Balance Beam today...but i think if they hit all their spots and don't fall, you're right.

Just edged out Italy for best on beam. Total domination even with a fall. 

Edited by Constant

Just waking up from a 4 year hibernation apparently, but is Russia not fielding a team like at all? Not even the "Neutral" or "ROC" designation? Hard to imagine they don't compete for a medal if they are actually in the games, but maybe they just suck.

Just now, MinerProphet said:

Just waking up from a 4 year hibernation apparently, but is Russia not fielding a team like at all? Not even the "Neutral" or "ROC" designation? Hard to imagine they don't compete for a medal if they are actually in the games, but maybe they just suck.

Not so much not fielding a team - not allowed to come to the party.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 minutes ago, Constant said:

IMG_7342.thumb.jpeg.52e5016c53c63e73079866d214c41123.jpeg

Just edged out Italy for best on beam. Total domination even with a fall. 

Shit guess i looked at numbers before being final...but damn that is.

Honestly, that was just domination start to end by the US Women (rewatching in primetime). 

On the Russia question, athletes from Russia and Belarus (both historically strong in gymnastics) could have competed, but they would have have to do so as AIN (inidividual neutral athlete). Not sure they could field a whole team, but some of them could have tried to qualify in events or the all around.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching Simone kinda reminds me of watching peak Serena Williams. She’s just playing a fundamentally different sport out there than the rest of the competitors. The sport has evolved but there’s only one person at the new level right now. 

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Honestly, that was just domination start to end by the US Women (rewatching in primetime). 

On the Russia question, athletes from Russia and Belarus (both historically strong in gymnastics) could have competed, but they would have have to do so as AIN (inidividual neutral athlete). Not sure they could field a whole team, but some of them could have tried to qualify in events or the all around.

It was a complete beat down. We never trailed and the lead just got wider and wider as the rotations went on. It doesn't make for great TV, but it made for fun watching to see the US just crush everyone else into a fine powder.

Frankly I thought the men were more interesting because the margin for error was so thin. Any mistake could have cost them the podium.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The 2024 US Women's gymnastics team name is Fuck Around and Find Out. 

were they the underdog or were the other teams trash talking them? I get that favorites need to seek out bulletin board material but I thought they were the overwhelming favorite.

I don't love the way that NBC (or the Olympic feed) shows the scoreboard for gymnastics. It's pretty meaningless to show the total scores in real time because some people haven't finished their rotation yet. My kids were confused last night when scrub ass countries like Romania kept jumping "in front" of the USA. They should show average score instead.

I watched some of the first rotation. I don't see us medaling in this. Richard fell on the pommel horse during his routine. And now you mention Juda. You can't have large errors and expect to medal, it just doesn't happen.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don't love the way that NBC (or the Olympic feed) shows the scoreboard for gymnastics. It's pretty meaningless to show the total scores in real time because some people haven't finished their rotation yet. My kids were confused last night when scrub ass countries like Romania kept jumping "in front" of the USA. They should show average score instead.

it's how the IOC and FIG present the scores.

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/results/artistic-gymnastics/men-s-all-around/fnl-000001--

Average has it's own flaws, including not really showing how many events you have completed. 

Edited by Captain Ron