Gymnastics(Men & Women)...

54 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Hard to get upset over the really when Biles landed fully out of bounds on 2 of her 4 passes. I'm certainly no expert, but that seems not ideal.

Yep - it was a gritty performance given her calf issues, but you just can't give up 0.6 off the top like that.  I have no issue with Andrade getting the gold there.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 year-old Romanian girl absolutely got screwed out of the bronze🥉, or maybe even the silver🥈.

A mystery 0.10 deduction on top of an inexplicably low score. You would think that the Cold War was still on. 

image.jpeg.89bb53ea74e67fe5b4e7a6de86e11590.jpeg

Totally got screwed.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

17 year-old Romanian girl absolutely got screwed out of the bronze🥉, or maybe even the silver🥈.

A mystery 0.10 deduction on top of an inexplicably low score. You would think that the Cold War was still on. 

Totally got screwed.

American placed, don't care.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Totally got screwed.

Mostly got screwed, not totally. The .10 was for an element that should have been included in the American's start value and was not. Devastating for the Romanian regardless. 

If judges aren't paying attention enough to notice an element, the complaints about ghost scoring and bias are hard to argue.

On 8/6/2024 at 2:38 AM, Napoleon said:

Totally got screwed.

IMG_8924.thumb.jpeg.4da3c01084c08666a9a3c6ca709d542c.jpeg

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/07/sport/romanian-prime-minister-gymnasts-olympics-spt/index.html

She got fucked.

Posted (edited)

I recognize that the US profited from the judges screwing over Barbosa (?)/ Romanian, as they did screw her/then over, imo. I am glad for Suni and the US but...

I'm always going to lean in favor of fair game over judges/refs fucking someone/a team. I was on the receiving end of Okie State fuckery, and I was a stand in the fans. Still it torqued me and I can't imagine having it done to me in a once every 4 year event to which I had dedicated my life.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Unfortunately it was a bad call, now they are fixing it, so all is good. Feel bad for our girl, but I bet she is very sportsmanlike and takes the high road as she has lots of class.

You do realize they aren’t giving it to the one that had the incorrect out of bounds deduction, right? It is going back to the original 3rd place finisher.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Unfortunately it was a bad call, now they are fixing it, so all is good. Feel bad for our girl, but I bet she is very sportsmanlike and takes the high road as she has lots of class.

Not sure you read it but it actually wasn't a "bad call". The correction was accurate. The ISSUE and why they are taking away a medal is:

CAS ruled Saturday that the on-floor appeal Monday by Cecile Landi to have 0.1 added to Chiles' score came outside the one-minute window allowed by the FIG. The ad hoc committee wrote that Landi's appeal came 1 minute, 4 seconds after the score was posted.

That is absolute shit. I'm all about getting it right as i noted above, but this feels like solution looking for a problem.

This is the take of the competitor:

"I only want for everybody to be fair. We don't want to start picking on other athletes of any nationality," Barbosu told reporters. "We as athletes don't deserve something like that. We only want to perform as best as we can and to be rewarded based on our performance. The problems lie with the judges, with their calculations and decisions."

• Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, scottsins said:

US Gymnastics is appealing, claiming that they have video proof that the inquiry was lodged within 47 seconds, so it should be honored.

And a second at 55 seconds.  FYI, all the gymnasts but the last have three minutes. The last only gets 1 minute.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

This whole ruling and way of doing stuff is wild.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd88cb043967faacbceb201cd7f58a9d.jpeg

How hard is it to just start a challenge clock that starts simultaneously with the announcement of the judges score and counts down? And why don’t they all get the same amount of time? Give them a little flag to throw or something.  It’s insane that it’s this complicated. 

Also, I’m very much in favor of not re-litigating judging and referee errors after the results are in and announced. Doping and cheating should be the only reasons results get changed, not referee or judge error. 

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Give them both bronze. Because at the end of the day, no one outside of a few really care. And it’s not like the medal itself costs any money. Given the chance of ties, they have extra. 

3 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

So, everybody gets a medal?  Not sure that's how the olympics work.  Also, user name fits...

In this case, you should give them both the bronze. Then, you better have a fucking timer next go round.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

In this case, you should give them both the bronze. Then, you better have a fucking timer next go round.

The Romanians recommended all three get bronze (the two Romanians tied on score, with the tiebreaker being degree of difficulty - but of course the judges hosed the second Romanian out of 0.1 when she didn't actually go out of bounds). This seems eminently fair to me, but the IOC said nah, fuck off.

Perhaps the IOC delegation to LA can be shown to their rooms at the Royal Roach in San Bernardino when they arrive in 2028, with a heartfelt apology: "We're so sorry, but your room requests arrived 4 seconds too late."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

US Gymnastics is appealing, claiming that they have video proof that the inquiry was lodged within 47 seconds, so it should be honored.

No doubt the IOC took their action because of general fuckery by these motherfuckers. I hope the video proof is incontrovertible and puts the ioc on the spot. Chiles won the event fair and square; had the judges done their job she would have won a narrow bronze and we’d have moved on.

Just saw the item above so...

The judges made an error, taking a medal away from someone. Then the judges "look at the film" and decided they were in error once again because of a unique time rule different for all other competitors in that specific stage. The country being awarded the medal offers up mediation of medals for both countries to align to the error. Turns out the judges were wrong again and video proves that reality. Judges nope their sorry asses out of the evidence.

Seems reasonable. 

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Just saw the item above so...

The judges made an error, taking a medal away from someone. Then the judges "look at the film" and decided they were in error once again because of a unique time rule different for all other competitors in that specific stage. The country being awarded the medal offers up mediation of medals for both countries to align to the error. Turns out the judges were wrong again and video proves that reality. Judges nope their sorry asses out of the evidence.

Seems reasonable. 

The plain fact is that you can plausibly place any one of them, all three, and likely none of them in third placed you go back and review all the tape of the entire competition and each competitor. You will find mistakes— potentially game or result changing mistakes— in the after event review of any technical sport whether its gymnastics or baseball or football. 

There needs to be a set window to appeal and hand down results and then you just accept that sometimes things don’t break your way.  Stripping medals and changing results should be for cheating or doping or bribery or ineligibility questions. Not “let’s take the referees/judges to court.” 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The plain fact is that you can plausibly place any one of them, all three, and likely none of them in third placed you go back and review all the tape of the entire competition and each competitor. You will find mistakes— potentially game or result changing mistakes— in the after event review of any technical sport whether its gymnastics or baseball or football. 

There needs to be a set window to appeal and hand down results and then you just accept that sometimes things don’t break your way.  Stripping medals and changing results should be for cheating or doping or bribery or ineligibility questions. Not “let’s take the referees/judges to court.” 

Agreed. This is like going back days later after a Superbowl, altering a call on the field/booth review and then giving the championship to the other team. I know it's not exactly the same, but the it's equal to me in the outlandish nature.

• 2 weeks later...