Running Through Walz to Fix America - Democratic VP Nominee

Biff Tannen

Just now, DaysOff said:

Not that I care, but is there anything to the "stolen valor" bullshit. 24 years is enough and he owes nobody an apology.

No, the national guard has already resolved the matter. He retired as master sergeant because hd didn't take a class to retire as his served rank or some stupid shit I don't pretend to know about the military but it was pretty plain that he achieved and served at the rank and retired at a lower one cuz of paperwork shit. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Damn, the governor of Massachusetts was wearing out those football analogies.

6 hours ago, immamac said:

No, the national guard has already resolved the matter. He retired as master sergeant because hd didn't take a class to retire as his served rank or some stupid shit I don't pretend to know about the military but it was pretty plain that he achieved and served at the rank and retired at a lower one cuz of paperwork shit. 

After I got out of the Marines I was on inactive reserve and required to show up once a year at a nearby armory for a kind of headcount/check-in.

You had to fill out some paperwork and at the end of it "swear, under penalty of perjury" your status was accurate.  Welp, one of those years I got an actual certificate in the mail saying I had been promoted from 1st Lt. to Captain.  It seemed weird, but hey, captain sounds nice.

So when we got to that part of the day when we had to raise our right hand a couple of hands shot up.  The major or lt. col doing the swearing kind of laughed and muttered something about "you know, it's funny how this always happens when you say the word "perjury" . . ."

Those of us with issues explained them and I can't even remember if I left the building as a 1st Lt or captain.  Not that it ever mattered.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Not that I care, but is there anything to the "stolen valor" bullshit. 24 years is enough and he owes nobody an apology.

It doesn't matter.  MAGA will run with it, but ignore the fact that while Walz served in the military for 24 years, Lieutenant Bonespurs never served one second and has trashed POW's and other vets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

#TimWalz gets phone calls from Chuck Norris for pointers on what fork goes on the outside & where to put that funny [knife / not a knife].

Tim Walz just called to ask for my vote and to make sure my contractor is installing Owens Corning Pink because “fiberglass insulation is not something you want to cheap out on.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

On 8/6/2024 at 9:33 AM, Js1 said:

Even growing up in the early-to-mid 2000s in suburban Texas, that is how it felt. 

And then it all changed.

That’s how I recalled what it was like too when I moved away from Tx in early 2000s. Like someone upthread described. Perry was just a goofball. Corrupt. But your typical pro business goofball. Who knew we would miss that?!?!

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

That is amazing this message needs to be blasted from coast to coast

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A literal man of the people.

Also, Harris mostly all in mutual funds.  Pretty standard portfolio, actually.

Meanwhile.....

This will be spun as him clearly having hidden slush funds and being beholden to foreign interests. Evidence will never be found, but that will be the story. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

No, the national guard has already resolved the matter. He retired as master sergeant because hd didn't take a class to retire as his served rank or some stupid shit I don't pretend to know about the military but it was pretty plain that he achieved and served at the rank and retired at a lower one cuz of paperwork shit

Which is extremely fucking relatable to pretty much anyone. Only someone like JD Vance who has had his entire life paid for by billionaires wouldn't get it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Slept on it and am even more convinced Walz was the right pick.

I think Shapiro still has a bright future but 1) much like "cop" Kamala in 2020, this isn't the right time for him given the current political climate and 2) I think when he goes national, it will be at the top of the ticket, not in a supporting role... I think his style in a VP role would run a big risk of upstaging the Presidential candidate. 

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I'll admit, yesterday I had a hopefully last-minute wish of having a ticket of Shapiro/Kelly, but I'm putting that shit to bed.  Ready to take me seat on the back of this bus and ride it out. 

The fact that a lot of the MAGA appear to be upset that it wasn’t Shapiro speaks volumes, as if they should have a say.

A whole lot of “Why didn’t you pick Shapiro?” And “Do you not like Jewish people?” bullshit which tells me they thought they would have an easier time of dividing Democrats.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

A whole lot of “Why didn’t you pick Shapiro?” And “Do you not like Jewish people?” bullshit which tells me they thought they would have an easier time of dividing Democrats.

I listen to the Commentary podcast because I enjoy pain.

The entire episode yesterday was them wining about how the Dems are the anti-Semitic party.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Again, someone should ask Vance why he hasn't stepped down so Trump can pick a Jew. 

Oh right, he has no options, because almost every Jew that is in Congress is a Democrat.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

It's TIm vs Pleased To Meet Me.....the real ones know

This election has a Sorry ma, I forgot to take out the trash vibe to me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I had something similar to @Bullneck when I was getting out except I was an enlisted peon - I had been put up for promotion to sergeant (E-5) with a few months to go in my enlistment (I think they were hoping I would stay in), and I met all of the requirements except I had to take a leadership development course that was close to 5-6 weeks.  I could never get a clear answer as to whether I would have to extend my enlistment if I was promoted (it was a weird time in the 90s when they were reducing the Army) so I didn’t schedule the course. My DD214 shows I left as an E-4, but I was listed as an E-5 at some point later on because after 9/11, the DOD contacted a lot of people asking if they’d like to come back in and they had me as an E-5. E-4 mafia for life.

Anyways, I think this stuff is about claims that Walz bailed on his NG unit before they left for Iraq, but that made no sense - you don’t get to just up and bail out of the military especially if a unit is deploying overseas (regardless of whether it’s NG or active duty).

It’s a literal fucking contract - when you are separating from the service either because your enlistment term is up or you are retiring, that stuff is planned out months in advance, and multiple people above you have signed off on everything, and there is a date for your retirement/separation.

However, during wartime (even if no formal declaration), if you are in but you are due to separate from the military, they can keep you in if they need you, aka stop-loss, and I had plenty of friends affected by that.  The courts have always sided with the military when it comes to the military extending past your original date if they want to,

Walz was allowed to retire and go run his Congressional campaign. If his chain-of-command had wanted him in Iraq, he would have had to go and skip his Congressional run.

Edit: you also don’t get put up for Command Sergeant Major unless a whole lot of people above you are impressed by you and you have your shit squared away. CSM is not like a lieutenant colonel where you keep your nose clean and put in your 20 years. Walz was the real deal.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He gave out full-size candy bars?  

He better run for President in ‘28 or ‘32

Whereas Trump and Vance turn their lights off on Halloween or hand out little bibles instead of candy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Whereas Trump and Vance turn their lights off on Halloween or hand out little bibles instead of candy. 

We all know that if Trump ever encountered a trick-or-treater, he would stick his hand in their bag and steal their candy. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Trump literally told kids there was no Santa.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The fact that a lot of the MAGA appear to be upset that it wasn’t Shapiro speaks volumes, as if they should have a say.

Same thing they did when Biden stepped aside

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I mean, not even mutual funds?  That just seems like not great financial planning. To each their own I guess. But public officials should be barred from owning and trading individual stocks for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, not even mutual funds?  That just seems like not great financial planning. To each their own I guess. But public officials should be barred from owning and trading individual stocks for sure. 

Shit, if he's like my grandmother from southwestern Minnesota, he's got plenty stored in coffee cans throughout the house, and ain't no bank failures gonna take that savings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

He's been a teacher, a Congresscritter, a governor, and 2+ decades in the guard. He's got solid pensions.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, locodos said:

A PAGAN !11!1

honestly I wish someone running for office, when asked what their religion is, answer: "I believe in separation of church and state, so my religion is a personal matter and does not factor into my ability to govern."

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

It’s what we should aspire to for career long public servants. If you choose a career of public service at wages less than you could make in private industry, your retirement should be secure and protected.

That's what I'm literally banking on.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They need to put this "stolen valor" shit to bed. Vance won't shut up about it and MAGA is having a field day with it even though it's been thoroughly debunked.

It already is. How do you propose they make morons stop saying stupid things that aren't true? If you're going to be bothered that much by those people repeating lies then it's going to be a very long 3 months for you. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It already is. How do you propose they make morons stop saying stupid things that aren't true? If you're going to be bothered that much by those people repeating lies then it's going to be a very long 3 months for you. 

Just seems to have more legs than I would like. I'm not that bothered just annoyed.

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Just seems to have more legs than I would like. I'm not that bothered just annoyed.

It has legs because you're intentionally consuming MAGA sources. As you note, it has already been debunked and it will be handled just fine by Walz.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It has zero legs, it’s a maga lie, that only resonates with maga. Walz will probably address it, call Vance a pussy and a liar, and people who aren’t entirely brainwashed will know.

• Hook 'Em 2