EPL 24-25: Postakloppalypse

Buzzrock

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Nicholas Jackson sucks

Schar red card will always be a red. You can’t come in and lead with your head. 

Just went and saw this - agreed.

Yes, I get the argument they are both going in head first. Schar was responding to a shove so he had to be smarter.

The right call is a straight red to both. But I get why it went the way it did and have no argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cosm is open in Dallas and Los Angeles. Immersive sports experience. Looks incredible. They will both be showing Premier League matches. 

Liverpool v. Manchester United is September 1. Tickets in the dome are available. May need to do a Liverpool meetup for a match. 

https://www.cosm.com/dallas/events/epl_fixture_gs_2024_09_01v3

yeah that was an intense, well played match. villa left the door open by missing a couple of should-be goals, and then that save by david raya 😱. fine margins in that one. villa remains the only team that’s beaten arsenal in 2024, and trossard’s goal snapped a five half scoring drought for arsenal against emi and avfc. villa gonna be really good again this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Yellow card for a clothesline. Fuck Joelington. Trash player for a trash club.

What bottles my mind on this one is that it seems like pretty clear hands to the head/face there. How that's not a red is beyond me.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is depressing. Figured some EPL would sign him.

he was on a ridiculously low salary at Brentford (negotiated while they were in the championship and never improved upon). If anyone needed to go get a big payday it was him. 

57 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

he was on a ridiculously low salary at Brentford (negotiated while they were in the championship and never improved upon). If anyone needed to go get a big payday it was him. 

Pretty certain his attitude turned a lot of clubs off.

1 hour ago, Derka said:

the arsenal/brighton match was not settled by the players on the pitch. absolute farce. so sick of this asinine, indefensible officiating.

You can complain about the consistency, Pedro should have been carded in the first half, but Rice absolutely deserved a yellow there. You can’t kick the ball away from someone taking a free kick. Not sure what he expected to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You can complain about the consistency, Pedro should have been carded in the first half, but Rice absolutely deserved a yellow there. You can’t kick the ball away from someone taking a free kick. Not sure what he expected to happen.

the ball was rolling, there was no free kick to be taken. the officials decided the game. it’s a farce.

5 minutes ago, Derka said:

the ball was rolling, there was no free kick to be taken. the officials decided the game. it’s a farce.

Stop. It’s a textbook yellow by the law. It probably didn’t help that Rice drew attention to it by rolling around trying to get the Brighton player sent off. 

Declan rice decided the game. Be smarter when you’re on a yellow. This really isn’t even controversial. Like a said, criticize the inconsistency, but that call was 100% correct.

• Hook 'Em 2

you can see the official telling the players that he has no choice but to book rice for that “delay”. over and over you can see that he’s saying, “what do you want me to do, that’s a card every time, i have to call that.” yeah except that you declined to call it the previous 10 times it happened today. you also declined to call it when it happened again after the fact! there was like 10 minutes to go, bha fouled arsenal, and a bha player picked up the ball and ran several yards before flicking it behind him back towards the spot, and there was no call.

this is totally indefensible. there is zero case that declan rice deserved a card, because if that’s the case, then that fact is dwarfed by the countless other instances which weren’t called today. the officials decided the match, not the players. the official from manchester/boyhood city fan helped out his club. i’ll say it again: it’s a farce.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Stop. It’s a textbook yellow by the law. It probably didn’t help that Rice drew attention to it by rolling around trying to get the Brighton player sent off. 

Declan rice decided the game. Be smarter when you’re on a yellow. This really isn’t even controversial. Like a said, criticize the inconsistency, but that call was 100% correct.

what do you mean stop? you’re over here making your entire case on “the textbook letter of the law”, when the textbook letter of the law says that you can’t take a free kick on a ball that’s rolling. you can’t have it both ways. you stop.

Posted (edited)

also, stop acting like the context doesn’t matter. don’t tell me you’ve never raged at the officials during a UT basketball game where KU or WVU got away with murder while our players got called for ticky tack fouls left and right. if the refs call the game one way for one team/player and differently for the other team/players then that’s not ok, that’s the definition of the officials deciding the match.

also, no offense to you personally, because i like you, but the “technically by the letter of the law…” argument is always a horseshit argument made by people who want to justify some obvious horseshit which has taken place.

Edited by Derka

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Derka said:

you can see the official telling the players that he has no choice but to book rice for that “delay”. over and over you can see that he’s saying, “what do you want me to do, that’s a card every time, i have to call that.” yeah except that you declined to call it the previous 10 times it happened today. you also declined to call it when it happened again after the fact! there was like 10 minutes to go, bha fouled arsenal, and a bha player picked up the ball and ran several yards before flicking it behind him back towards the spot, and there was no call.

this is totally indefensible. there is zero case that declan rice deserved a card, because if that’s the case, then that fact is dwarfed by the countless other instances which weren’t called today. the officials decided the match, not the players. the official from manchester/boyhood city fan helped out his club. i’ll say it again: it’s a farce.

So you’re argument is that since referees are bad and inconsistent, we should just stop having rules at all?

The rules for a soccer player receiving a yellow card are as follows: IF a player delays-restart OR (dissents-by-word OR dissents-by-action) OR ((enters OR re-enters OR leaves) AND NOT(had-permission)) OR ((corner-kick OR free-kick OR throw-in) AND fails-respect-distance) OR commits-persistence-offences THEN the player should receive a yellow card.

Thats the case for Rice receiving a card. It’s clear cut dude.

Edited by hobbes2702