2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

10 hours ago, Nope said:

He looks like what I convinced myself Armanti Foreman was going to be when he committed 

He’s saying Owens is also going to be NFL good?

Texas believes that Owens has an NFL ready arm and is very bright. He's also not a complete statue and has a huge frame. He was basically ignored by the recruiting world, apparently because one of the best QB developers in the sport got on him early. He's eventually going to cost Texas some money to keep him, but they picked him up for fire sale pricing.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I think this is a bit over-stated. The OL was pretty good last year overall, but I will concede this is the last step in the reclamation project that was the OL Flood inherited. They had their issues in short yardage last year. They were not an OL that could just come out and just smash competent defenses, but not many OLs can. Another year of physical development and RB development should help that. 

What the fuck is this? You're not supposed to be optimistic about the OL ahead of a season. Has you handle been hacked?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

Quick question what's with all the yarn gifs lately? They don't work because yarn is messing with the embeds. 

Also quick update. Sark has allowed media in for the first 3 days of practice with summaries allowed. There is a bonus night practice on Saturday but that one is gagged so don't expect any scoop from it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Quick question what's with all the yarn gifs lately? They don't work because yarn is messing with the embeds. 

Also quick update. Sark has allowed media in for the first 3 days of practice with summaries allowed. There is a bonus night practice on Saturday but that one is gagged so don't expect any scoop from it. 

Are you going to the Saturday practice? I don't know who gets invited and who doesn't. I got the invite, but I've been traveling a bunch and decided to punt. I think @RGBIII is going, and if you are as well, hopefully y'all can at least offer up your views on what you saw.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Are you going to the Saturday practice? I don't know who gets invited and who doesn't. I got the invite, but I've been traveling a bunch and decided to punt. I think @RGBIII is going, and if you are as well, hopefully y'all can at least offer up your views on what you saw.

Kinda strict on the gag explicitly calling out summaries or message board posts so don't wanna get TOF in hot water over it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He’s saying Owens is also going to be NFL good?
Just going by the spring game it isn't too wild of a prediction. Kid was really good in HS, remains to be seen if that continues against a real enemy defense, but I wouldn't doubt it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I really enjoy listening to Sark's press conferences. He keeps the coach-speak to a minimum and really answers questions. And you can just tell by his responses how prepared he is and how much in control of this program he has become.
We finally have our man.
5a598428-1759-42ed-9778-296772894c4e_text.gif
I think you're probably right and there's no doubt he has the team trending the right way. That said I need to see a post season win this season before he's anointed supreme leader of Longhorn football.

4 hours ago, immamac said:

I really do not like how they changed YouTube channels without announcing it. The algorithm doesn't know the new channel and doesn't show up in anything including search. They also use stupid ass fucking titles that don't show up or rank in search when you use "sarkisian press conference" /endrant

I'm pretty sure that's just a fan channel, while it looks like Texas has moved their videos from youtube to their new website for LHN: https://watch.longhornnetwork.com/home

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

Kinda strict on the gag explicitly calling out summaries or message board posts so don't wanna get TOF in hot water over it. 

That seems fair.  Let's squirrel things away for another day then.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas believes that Owens has an NFL ready arm and is very bright. He's also not a complete statue and has a huge frame. He was basically ignored by the recruiting world, apparently because one of the best QB developers in the sport got on him early. He's eventually going to cost Texas some money to keep him, but they picked him up for fire sale pricing.

What the fuck is this? You're not supposed to be optimistic about the OL ahead of a season. Has you handle been hacked?

I’ll be optimistic about the OL if I see Conner actually move people in short yardage situation while not looking into our backfield after whiffing and not getting stonewalled when he pulls 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Bobby

Quarterback - Small, nuanced changes with Quinn Ewers. He's only built upon last year's conditioning improvements. Arch Manning and Trey Owens both have very strong arms and will be more than capable when their time comes.

Running Back - The inclusion of Tre Wisner by Sark in yesterday's post-practice media availability was clearly deliberate. Wisner may not be no. 1 or 2 on the depth chart, but he has worked himself into a situation where Sark thinks he's going to contribute significantly to this team from the backfield. Freshman Christian Clark and Jerrick Gibson both look good. Clark has some really quick feet.

Wide Receivers - I think there's a top six, moreso than a top 3 or 4. They are (in no particular order): Johntay Cook, DeAndre Moore, Isaiah Bond, Matthew Golden, Silas Bolden, and Ryan Wingo. Beyond that, I liked what I saw yesterday from Ryan Niblett (he has put on some good muscle this off-season) and Parker Livingstone.

Tight Ends - Gunnar Helm and Amari Niblack are clearly going to play and play a lot. But Juan Davis is going to make things interesting at the position. Perhaps he is a guy who does a lot of the dirty work Jordan Whittington did a year ago, albeit from a different position. Very similar team-first demeanors, that's for sure.

Offensive Line - This group has grown up. They were good a year ago. This year, they have a chance to take another step. Any questions about Cam Williams and his readiness physically can be put away. DJ Campbell looked really good to my eyes. I was probably most surprised by Malik Agbo, who is working at third-team left tackle. He looked quick out there.

Edge - This is a terrific looking group. Colin Simmons and Zina Umeozulu are the best-looking pair of edges Texas has signed in a single class since I've been covering the Horns. Colton Vasek continues to improve, and that's on top of known commodities Barryn Sorrell, Ethan Burke and Justice Finkley. Trey Moore is the newcomer, who does not have ideal length or size, but his key has been production.

Defensive Tackle - Could not see much other than body types on Wednesday. Nothing unexpected here IMO.

Linebacker - Anthony Hill looks like a million bucks and moves so fluidly. David Gbenda is a tone-setter for the room.

Secondary - Jaylan Guilbeau is a serious player at nickel/star. Wardell Mack worked at that spot behind Guilbeau and Jahdae Barron. Gavin Holmes looks much better than a year ago. First glimpses of Santana Wilson and Javion Cole were encouraging. Derek Williams, Michael Taffe and Andrew Mukuba are clearly the first three at safety ahead of Jelani McDonald and the true freshmen.

Punter - Michael Kern clearly has the strongest leg of the group. But will he be more consistent? Coaches want consistency from that position as much or more than anything.

• Hook 'Em 8

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ll be optimistic about the OL if I see Conner actually move people in short yardage situation while not looking into our backfield after whiffing and not getting stonewalled when he pulls 

*I'll be optimstic when I see Connor on the bench. 

FIFY. And don't make me do your work for you. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm a simple man. I don't need the play-by-play. All I need is someone to tell me how excited to get about the season. 

43 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I'm a simple man. I don't need the play-by-play. All I need is someone to tell me how excited to get about the season. 

Texas is a top two team in the country. If Ohio State or Oregon had better QBs, they'd probably have an edge... but they don't, they have fucking Dillon Gabriel and Will Howard. Does anyone think those guys can win 3 or 4 games in a row in the playoffs? 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, immamac said:

But just on the actual practice, right?

Can you still update on how the facility is, hospitality, and such?

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

the assumption here is that these are the players with helmet communication devices 

I guess they'll be rotating this during fall practice, in order to get x number of people accustomed to it? Otherwise I'm not sure why Guilbeau would be one of those three. Unless they're REALLY serious about playing Barron at corner.

Just now, Red Five said:

I guess they'll be rotating this during fall practice, in order to get x number of people accustomed to it? Otherwise I'm not sure why Guilbeau would be one of those three. Unless they're REALLY serious about playing Barron at corner.

I could see Barron splitting time at corner and safety. Is he currently healthy?

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There's getting comfortable, and there's also strategery.

If I'm playing an up-tempo, pass first team, I want one of my DBs to have the comm. The call gets to him first, and he sends it to the back end as quickly as possible. If I'm playing a power team, a LB should have it. Obviously getting the correct call to the DL and LB groups is paramount then.

Likely, they'll change it up within the game depending on the situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our roster this year is making me call bullshit on the saying, "if you have two QBs, then you don't have one."

It might not roll off the tongue, but "if you've got two QBs, and one has NFL hall of fame pedigree from a wealthy family with wise parents that understand that adolescent males' prefrontal cortex is not developed enough to enter the adult world, then you have two."

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

If I'm playing an up-tempo, pass first team, I want one of my DBs to have the comm. The call gets to him first, and he sends it to the back end as quickly as possible. If I'm playing a power team, a LB should have it. Obviously getting the correct call to the DL and LB groups is paramount then.

You’re way over complicating this

So the DB running go routes, you want to call D? Knowing that he subs out and needs a break... makes no sense.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

the assumption here is that these are the players with helmet communication devices 

Another factor is that in addition to making the call, players with the helmet can receive some last minute reminders on their assignment, key things to look for, etc.

On offense it is obvious that the QB should get the helmet. On defense I like that they are giving it to younger players.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I am going to guess that won’t happen. PK said LB or Safety in his interview. Ant Hill is probably the betting favorite 

58 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can you expand on this?  Losing Sanders was my biggest concern on offense (in a year of almost zero concerns on offense, which is quite nice). 

I've just spent 14+ hours talking and bullshitting with him. He's such a good dude. 

He's significantly faster than JT was and can jump higher etc. I think he will be a pleasant surprise for people this year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, immamac said:

I've just spent 14+ hours talking and bullshitting with him. He's such a good dude. 

He's significantly faster than JT was and can jump higher etc. I think he will be a pleasant surprise for people this year. 

Can't wait to see if we throw some 13 personnel (or 6 OL + 2 TE) at some folks when we're up late.

Edited by TotallyLegit