2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

He's not playing safety. It's either corner or nickel.

On the headset in the helmet thing, since only 1 can be on the field at a time, we need to have multiple options in case a dude goes down or has to exit due to a targeting penalty. My guess is Guilbeau is insurance if we have to play without Hill for some reason.

20 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

On the headset in the helmet thing, since only 1 can be on the field at a time, we need to have multiple options in case a dude goes down or has to exit due to a targeting penalty. My guess is Guilbeau is insurance if we have to play without Hill for some reason.

What? How does that make sense? 

6 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

There's getting comfortable, and there's also strategery.

If I'm playing an up-tempo, pass first team, I want one of my DBs to have the comm. The call gets to him first, and he sends it to the back end as quickly as possible. If I'm playing a power team, a LB should have it. Obviously getting the correct call to the DL and LB groups is paramount then.

Likely, they'll change it up within the game depending on the situation.

After tonight's debut of the NFL kickoff rules, i think we have no idea how this is all going to play out.

The systems turn off with 15 seconds left on the snap clock.

Can you run out all 3 defensive players with the green dot helmets on dead ball downs?   Of course 2 would have to leave the field.   But the opportunity for shenanigans abounds.

Against a team that's behind and has to go fast and can't wait until the clock hits :15, do you put a green dot at sam for the sole purpose of optimizing his blitz?

Add in the addition of the 2-minute warning, and thermensa's binders just doubled in size.

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What do you mean? It’s called redundancy. I’ll assume Hill will be primary and the other two second or 3rd options which means they’ll likely have two helmets on the sideline 

If this was some sort of contingency play, Hill’s backup would be wearing it. 

in the league the 3 players on each side of the ball with radios have 2 helmets, 1 with, 1 without

i can't find anything that says that's true for college

it should be, but i want to see it in writing before speculating further

also, in the league, when a radio helmet checks in he has to notify the umpire

in college, with the "equal chance to sub stand over the ball" thing, does that mean a green dot change can be used to burn a few extra seconds every down/snap?

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ. At least name he and CB4 to the Doak Walker watch list. There's a reason we're #1 for that trophy. I guess they didn't get the memo we put one in the first round, and a no-brainer before injury and 1st RB off the board last year? 

Question in the above video about coaches saying he's a great football player, but a terrible linebacker.

"I knew I wasn't doing it right, but I knew I was gonna do it fast"

-Ant Hill

Imagine this year when he knows what he's doing...

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@someguy mentioned on OTF that Scotty Cochran was on campus to give a speech to the team. Any shot that Sarkisian and him are talking about something more with the program? The guy was an integral part of the Bama program for a decade. 

Saban gave Sark a rehab stint to help him back, could be Sark doing the same to Cochran maybe?  Would be solid add if he's got his mental/drug use issues in check.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Nope. It's not a contingency for the MLB position. It's a contingency plan for the primacy communicator on the defensive side of the ball. None of the three players being trained on defense play the same position. If the primary communicator went down, it's not going to be their backup who calls the defense. It's going to be one of the other two players mentioned.

How is this so hard for some of y'all to wrap your heads around?

Regardless, we're not even at the point at which we know who it will be. I'd assume they want it to be Hill though.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@someguy mentioned on OTF that Scotty Cochran was on campus to give a speech to the team. Any shot that Sarkisian and him are talking about something more with the program? The guy was an integral part of the Bama program for a decade. 

Apparently he's also in recovery from drug addiction.  May be related 

*Monkey beat me to it

Edited by Post Oak

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Saban gave Sark a rehab stint to help him back, could be Sark doing the same to Cochran maybe?  Would be solid add if he's got his mental/drug use issues in check.

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Apparently he's also in recovery from drug addiction.  May be related 

*Monkey beat me to it

Probably doing him a solid.

1. Speak some sense into the team about avoiding drugs and why.

2. Paid speaking gig. Money + résumé builder on that front. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Probably doing him a solid.

1. Speak some sense into the team about avoiding drugs and why.

2. Paid speaking gig. Money + résumé builder on that front. 

And getting a chance to spend time with him and assess if he could be a part of the staff in the future.

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Question in the above video about coaches saying he's a great football player, but a terrible linebacker.

"I knew I wasn't doing it right, but I knew I was gonna do it fast"

-Ant Hill

Imagine this year when he knows what he's doing...

My coach used to tell us "If you're gonna fuck up, do it at full speed and hit someone." 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There's a lot of this going on as usual, but it's funny to read/hear OTF talking about how huge Sorrell has gotten, and then read IT say that Sorrell has really slimmed down.

He looked like a solid specimen in that short blocking drill clip from the first practice. But I couldn't tell you how he compares to previous seasons. He's not been a highlighted player. Hope he can get on the field and make some plays though.

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is it a good idea to drop Ethan Burke in coverage?   Uhhhm

Yes, by all means, it is a terrible idea to drop a 6'7'' dude into passing lanes to take away quick slants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Is it a good idea to drop Ethan Burke in coverage?   Uhhhm

It is not like Sorrell or Burke have proven to be elite pass rushers. It one thing to say never drop LT or Von Miller, its another to say never drop Sorrell or Burke. My memory maybe off, but I thought PFF gave Sorrell a higher pass rushing grade than Burke last year. Hoping both make a jump this year

13 hours ago, Da Fino said:

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are you stupid? 

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Nope. It's not a contingency for the MLB position. It's a contingency plan for the primacy communicator on the defensive side of the ball. None of the three players being trained on defense play the same position. If the primary communicator went down, it's not going to be their backup who calls the defense. It's going to be one of the other two players mentioned.

How is this so hard for some of y'all to wrap your heads around?

Regardless, we're not even at the point at which we know who it will be. I'd assume they want it to be Hill though.

I think I see where the original question comes from. Hill gets dinged on a play and comes hobbling off as the offense lines up, do you expect Williams (or anyone else) to run to the sideline, change helmets, hear the call, communicate the call, get lined up, & recognize his responsibility in a matter of seconds? In that moment, whomever is replacing Hill would be the ideal candidate to have the speaker in his helmet because the call can be made as he's running on the field. Obviously not getting hurt would be option A & Hill remembering to lay on the turf & not come running off the field at any point would be option B, but I'm sure there will be some instances throughout the NCAA where timeouts get burned or the defense doesn't know what to do at the snap - especially early in the season. They could still signal in something in an emergency until another player gets the helmet with the speaker in it, but against HUNH offenses that's going to be difficult to maintain for an entire drive.

I think I see where the original question comes from. Hill gets dinged on a play and comes hobbling off as the offense lines up, do you expect Williams (or anyone else) to run to the sideline, change helmets, hear the call, communicate the call, get lined up, & recognize his responsibility in a matter of seconds? In that moment, whomever is replacing Hill would be the ideal candidate to have the speaker in his helmet because the call can be made as he's running on the field. Obviously not getting hurt would be option A & Hill remembering to lay on the turf & not come running off the field at any point would be option B, but I'm sure there will be some instances throughout the NCAA where timeouts get burned or the defense doesn't know what to do at the snap - especially early in the season. They could still signal in something in an emergency until another player gets the helmet with the speaker in it, but against HUNH offenses that's going to be difficult to maintain for an entire drive.

An injury timeout is more than enough time to get Williams or Guilbeau into their headset helmet. It's not hard to coach one player to lay down on the ground if he's hurt.

Anyway, every team in the country will be facing the same issue.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

An injury timeout is more than enough time to get Williams or Guilbeau into their headset helmet. It's not hard to coach one player to lay down on the ground if he's hurt.

Anyway, every team in the country will be facing the same issue.

Also, the coaches will plan for this sort of situation. It's not complicated to premortem this type of scenario.

This may be duh, but the OTF guys were saying Barron isn't wearing a headset because he's going to potentially be playing every position in the secondary. And they're not gonna want a corner wearing it. Hence Guilbeau. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is that for college as well? I know NFL had it. Like someone else said there isn’t much literature on the specific rules for NCAA 

I'm sure they will have something similar. They will have to be identifiable so that everyone is adhering to the rules. There is probably a list given to someone before each game who may be wearing them.