2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

9 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Nope. It's not a contingency for the MLB position. It's a contingency plan for the primacy communicator on the defensive side of the ball. None of the three players being trained on defense play the same position. If the primary communicator went down, it's not going to be their backup who calls the defense. It's going to be one of the other two players mentioned.

How is this so hard for some of y'all to wrap your heads around?

Regardless, we're not even at the point at which we know who it will be. I'd assume they want it to be Hill though.

What happens when Brent V says their head sets aren’t working to make both teams use signals so he can try to Stalions the RRSO?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

What happens when Brent V says their head sets aren’t working to make both teams use signals so he can try to Stalions the RRSO?

I have dollars on what game the linebacker just loses it on the field and goes crazy because of Venables smacking and licking his lips in the mic.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Give him a bag of dicks and tell him to stfu and sit down.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Sydir must gas out in two snaps because he looks really good in some of the clips I’ve seen. He’s quick, explosive, and huge. He has to be better than those Arizona guys. If he had any kind of fire, he wouldn’t be running anything less than 2nd team. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Sydir must gas out in two snaps because he looks really good in some of the clips I’ve seen. He’s quick, explosive, and huge. He has to be better than those Arizona guys. If he had any kind of fire, he wouldn’t be running anything less than 2nd team. 

Should surly go see how big he is. Let's get him out on the scale sponsored by surly? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bogeywon said:

Any of you guys gonna travel to Ann Arbor for the michigan game? I’m sorry if this is the wrong thread but being a M fan and living 1 hour away it’d be cool to meet up

Yeah there's a whole thread about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Any of you guys gonna travel to Ann Arbor for the michigan game? I’m sorry if this is the wrong thread but being a M fan and living 1 hour away it’d be cool to meet up

I wish. It’s part of my territory but that would require me working on Saturday which seems sub-optimal.

3 hours ago, someguy said:

that's not true - he's 360ish

Curious, were you there when he weighed in? It has been well documented for some time that he is too heavy and out of shape. I personally have no clue of his weight and guess you don't either.

• Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)

Texas football practice report: Can't-miss observations from the Longhorns' first two days of fall camp

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — The Longhorns hit Denius Fields for their second day of fall camp on Thursday, and even though the media's viewing window lasted only 11 minutes, your Horns247 staff was able to see enough over the first two days of camp (thanks to an hour-long viewing window on Wednesday) to give you some early observations in a few key areas.

So, without further adieu, here are those observations from Horns247's Eric Henry, Chip Brown and Jeff Howe.

ERIC HENRY: GUNNERS ON SPECIAL TEAMS

During the media's 11-minute viewing window for the Longhorns' second fall practice, special teams were the point of emphasis.

Steve Sarkisian repeatedly referred to Kitan Crawford and Keilan Robinson as the "best gunners in the nation" last season. With Crawford following former Texas co-defensive coordinator Jeff Choate to Nevada and Robinson now with the Jacksonville Jaguars, several players have seen reps as gunners for special teams coordinator Jeff Banks' unit.

Robinson and Crawford combined to record eight special teams tackles last season, per Pro Football Focus. Wide receivers DeAndre Moore Jr., Aaron Butler and running back Tre Wisner saw reps at the spot during the portion of practice available to the media.

During Texas' coordinator availability on Tuesday, Banks referred to Butler and Moore as possible candidates, noting that both players would have to get accustomed to the responsibilities of the role.

"Aaron Butler is a guy who could be there and DeAndre Moore," Banks said. "Now, getting used to tackling will obviously be a factor."

Last season, Wisner was a special teams ace, ranking third on the team with six special teams tackles.

Banks often sees special teams talent in a player before the player does. Banks identified Xavier Worthy as a punt returner and threw Worthy into the mix, even though Worthy had always been "scared" to return punts growing up.

"Banks just told me to do it," Worthy said. "So, I did it."

FALL CAMP SPECIAL: 60% off an annual membership to Horns247 and get all of the team and recruiting scoop as the Longhorns enter their first season in the SEC with title hopes!

CHIP BROWN: PUNTER

I know the punter isn't sexy, and you probably only pay attention to him if he's screwed something up. But for the Longhorns this season, the punter may be one of the biggest question marks on the team. So, let's get into the limited practice time we've gotten with scholarship freshman Michael Kern (6-3, 195) of St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.), sophomore walk-on Ian Ratliff (5-11, 185) of Humble Atascocita and junior walk-on Charlie Feris (6-2, 205) of Cypress Ranch.

Those are the three players in the mix to replace Stanford graduate transfer Ryan Sanborn and Sanborn's 45.7 yards-per-punt average in 2023.

If Texas is going to once again field one of college football's top special teams units in 2024, Michael Kern has to come through in a big way as a true freshman punter.

On Wednesday, Kern went first in drills and showed good hang time but didn't have the hang time and distance.

Kern was followed by Ratliff, who hit a line drive on his first attempt — the kind of line drive that allows returners plenty of time to catch the ball and scan the field for their best route before a gunner can show up.  Ratliff's second attempt had a little more air under it, but not much.

Feris went third and hit two nice, long punts with good hang time.

On Thursday, Feris was first in line for drills, followed by Kern and Ratliff. Obviously, this is a tiny sample size within the limited window the media was allowed to watch the first two fall camp practices. They have all of camp ahead of them.

But the first punts by a freshman are notable if only because Michael Dickson, the Ray Guy Award winner at Texas and perennial Pro Bowler in the NFL, while punting to the north in his first fall camp practice as a freshman, shanked a ball off the side of his foot that flew out of Denius Fields, across Red River and into the LBJ parking lot. Kern looked like gold compared to that, but, of course, Dickson turned out OK.

The Texas offensive line is expected to be one of the top groups in the SEC. Kyle Flood has recruited and developed at a high level and his first full-cycle line haul is eligible for the next NFL draft.

JEFF HOWE: THE OFFENSIVE LINE

If you've seen offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Kyle Flood put his position group through the paces at football practice once, you've seen them all. Flood has a method of getting his group lathered up early in practice that hasn't changed much at all since Flood arrived on the Forty Acres from Alabama with Steve Sarkisian in 2021.

With the No. 1 offensive line in Thursday's practice remaining the same as it was when camp opened on Wednesday (left tackle Kelvin Banks Jr., left guard Hayden Conner, center Jake Majors, right guard DJ Campbell and right tackle Cam Williams), Flood put his group through work on the Crowther sled before working on the staples of the Longhorn running game.

But Flood isn't just having his guys fire off the ball and run through plays.

Whether it was working on inside or outside zone, Flood is checking for the right footwork, hat (helmet) placement, hand/shoulder placement and finish while the linemen are working against teammates holding blocking pads.

Flood is so meticulous in making sure the nuances of how he, Sarkisian and Tashard Choice want the running game blocked that he'll go through whatever the staple concepts are on a given day and make sure each player gets plenty of reps at a rapid-fire pace.

He breaks the group down between left tackles (Banks, Trevor Goosby and Malik Agbo) and right tackles (Williams, Andre Cojoe and Brandon Baker), and they go get their reps. Then the left guards (Conner, Cole Hutson and Connor Stroh) and right guards (Campbell, Neto Umeozulu and Jaydon Chatman) will go to work, followed by the centers (Majors, Connor Robertson and Daniel Cruz).

As he's done in other practices I've watched, Flood paired up both the left and right guards with the centers to work on staple running game concepts on Thursday. The left guards and left tackles worked together going through plays, as did the right guards and right tackles.

It's a way of going through individual that I haven't seen a Texas offensive line put into motion before Flood got to campus. Inside and outside zone run calls in a game are things that veterans like the starting five should be able to block the way Flood coaches in their sleep, but the monotony gets broken when he'll move the defenders holding blocking pads around to different shades to keep his guys sharp since they need to know if a guy in on them inside, head up or outside because it could change their path on how a play is blocked or their responsibilities on a combo block.

I've watched Flood go through his practice system at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention and it works. If the Longhorns finish the season with one of the best offensive lines in the SEC, remember that days like today helped solidify the foundation.

I really wish Hutson or Neto could usurp Conner at LG. Either one would be an athletic upgrade. I'm tired of Conner getting beat to spots.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Texas football practice report: Can't-miss observations from the Longhorns' first two days of fall camp

Hide contents

AUSTIN, Texas — The Longhorns hit Denius Fields for their second day of fall camp on Thursday, and even though the media's viewing window lasted only 11 minutes, your Horns247 staff was able to see enough over the first two days of camp (thanks to an hour-long viewing window on Wednesday) to give you some early observations in a few key areas.

So, without further adieu, here are those observations from Horns247's Eric Henry, Chip Brown and Jeff Howe.

ERIC HENRY: GUNNERS ON SPECIAL TEAMS

During the media's 11-minute viewing window for the Longhorns' second fall practice, special teams were the point of emphasis.

Steve Sarkisian repeatedly referred to Kitan Crawford and Keilan Robinson as the "best gunners in the nation" last season. With Crawford following former Texas co-defensive coordinator Jeff Choate to Nevada and Robinson now with the Jacksonville Jaguars, several players have seen reps as gunners for special teams coordinator Jeff Banks' unit.

Robinson and Crawford combined to record eight special teams tackles last season, per Pro Football Focus. Wide receivers DeAndre Moore Jr., Aaron Butler and running back Tre Wisner saw reps at the spot during the portion of practice available to the media.

During Texas' coordinator availability on Tuesday, Banks referred to Butler and Moore as possible candidates, noting that both players would have to get accustomed to the responsibilities of the role.

"Aaron Butler is a guy who could be there and DeAndre Moore," Banks said. "Now, getting used to tackling will obviously be a factor."

Last season, Wisner was a special teams ace, ranking third on the team with six special teams tackles.

Banks often sees special teams talent in a player before the player does. Banks identified Xavier Worthy as a punt returner and threw Worthy into the mix, even though Worthy had always been "scared" to return punts growing up.

"Banks just told me to do it," Worthy said. "So, I did it."

FALL CAMP SPECIAL: 60% off an annual membership to Horns247 and get all of the team and recruiting scoop as the Longhorns enter their first season in the SEC with title hopes!

CHIP BROWN: PUNTER

I know the punter isn't sexy, and you probably only pay attention to him if he's screwed something up. But for the Longhorns this season, the punter may be one of the biggest question marks on the team. So, let's get into the limited practice time we've gotten with scholarship freshman Michael Kern (6-3, 195) of St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.), sophomore walk-on Ian Ratliff (5-11, 185) of Humble Atascocita and junior walk-on Charlie Feris (6-2, 205) of Cypress Ranch.

Those are the three players in the mix to replace Stanford graduate transfer Ryan Sanborn and Sanborn's 45.7 yards-per-punt average in 2023.

If Texas is going to once again field one of college football's top special teams units in 2024, Michael Kern has to come through in a big way as a true freshman punter.

On Wednesday, Kern went first in drills and showed good hang time but didn't have the hang time and distance.

Kern was followed by Ratliff, who hit a line drive on his first attempt — the kind of line drive that allows returners plenty of time to catch the ball and scan the field for their best route before a gunner can show up.  Ratliff's second attempt had a little more air under it, but not much.

Feris went third and hit two nice, long punts with good hang time.

On Thursday, Feris was first in line for drills, followed by Kern and Ratliff. Obviously, this is a tiny sample size within the limited window the media was allowed to watch the first two fall camp practices. They have all of camp ahead of them.

But the first punts by a freshman are notable if only because Michael Dickson, the Ray Guy Award winner at Texas and perennial Pro Bowler in the NFL, while punting to the north in his first fall camp practice as a freshman, shanked a ball off the side of his foot that flew out of Denius Fields, across Red River and into the LBJ parking lot. Kern looked like gold compared to that, but, of course, Dickson turned out OK.

The Texas offensive line is expected to be one of the top groups in the SEC. Kyle Flood has recruited and developed at a high level and his first full-cycle line haul is eligible for the next NFL draft.

JEFF HOWE: THE OFFENSIVE LINE

If you've seen offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Kyle Flood put his position group through the paces at football practice once, you've seen them all. Flood has a method of getting his group lathered up early in practice that hasn't changed much at all since Flood arrived on the Forty Acres from Alabama with Steve Sarkisian in 2021.

With the No. 1 offensive line in Thursday's practice remaining the same as it was when camp opened on Wednesday (left tackle Kelvin Banks Jr., left guard Hayden Conner, center Jake Majors, right guard DJ Campbell and right tackle Cam Williams), Flood put his group through work on the Crowther sled before working on the staples of the Longhorn running game.

But Flood isn't just having his guys fire off the ball and run through plays.

Whether it was working on inside or outside zone, Flood is checking for the right footwork, hat (helmet) placement, hand/shoulder placement and finish while the linemen are working against teammates holding blocking pads.

Flood is so meticulous in making sure the nuances of how he, Sarkisian and Tashard Choice want the running game blocked that he'll go through whatever the staple concepts are on a given day and make sure each player gets plenty of reps at a rapid-fire pace.

He breaks the group down between left tackles (Banks, Trevor Goosby and Malik Agbo) and right tackles (Williams, Andre Cojoe and Brandon Baker), and they go get their reps. Then the left guards (Conner, Cole Hutson and Connor Stroh) and right guards (Campbell, Neto Umeozulu and Jaydon Chatman) will go to work, followed by the centers (Majors, Connor Robertson and Daniel Cruz).

As he's done in other practices I've watched, Flood paired up both the left and right guards with the centers to work on staple running game concepts on Thursday. The left guards and left tackles worked together going through plays, as did the right guards and right tackles.

It's a way of going through individual that I haven't seen a Texas offensive line put into motion before Flood got to campus. Inside and outside zone run calls in a game are things that veterans like the starting five should be able to block the way Flood coaches in their sleep, but the monotony gets broken when he'll move the defenders holding blocking pads around to different shades to keep his guys sharp since they need to know if a guy in on them inside, head up or outside because it could change their path on how a play is blocked or their responsibilities on a combo block.

I've watched Flood go through his practice system at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention and it works. If the Longhorns finish the season with one of the best offensive lines in the SEC, remember that days like today helped solidify the foundation.

I really wish Hutson or Neto could usurp Conner at LG. Either one would be an athletic upgrade. I'm tired of Conner getting beat to spots.

Texas should use Neto’s nastiness and strength. One of the biggest areas of improvement needed for the OL is moving people (see 2023 redzone). Conner just seems to lack the strong base for that. He good in pass pro and is a solid screener on outside zone, but he isn’t going to move people 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

Texas should use Neto’s nastiness and strength. One of the biggest areas of improvement needed for the OL is moving people (see 2023 redzone). Conner just seems to lack the strong base for that. He good in pass pro and is a solid screener on outside zone, but he isn’t going to move people 

He at times doesn’t even touch people and looks into our backfield to watch our RBs get hit behind the LOS. 

4 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Curious, were you there when he weighed in? It has been well documented for some time that he is too heavy and out of shape. I personally have no clue of his weight and guess you don't either.

suit yourself

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

2027 - the year of two aggy. Even though I don’t consider NMSU and Las Cruces aggy.

Hook’em!!!

Las Cruces is an unholy shithole just like BCS, so they’re not that dissimilar….

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Baylor brought the bear outside of a cage to games? What in the actual fuck?!

Back in the day (early 80s) when my sister went to school at Baylor they would let the bear chug a 2-liter Dr Pepper between the 3rd and 4th quarter in the end zone. Dude would slug that shit down in like 4 seconds…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Wayne said:

From Bobby:

Will have more tomorrow.

- Practice was under the lights inside DKR.

- They pumped some music in and got the place loud.

- Not full pads. Helmets and shoulder pads only.

- A couple of turnovers, one pick thrown by Trey Owens in the flat and one by Arch Manning over the middle.

- Silas Bolden and Ryan Wingo continue to receive rave reviews. A twisting catch by Wingo down the sideline was one of the night’s highlights.

- Colin Simmons looked particularly good in some one on one pas rush work against Cam Williams.

- Quinn Ewers and Manning both looked good overall.

- I should have more for folks in the morning. 

266 and >

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

The sydir thing seems strange to me. If he’s 6’5” and 360lb and explosive then he sounds like tvondre 2.0. That also doesn’t sound like he’s in terrible shape assuming his squat and clean numbers are commiserate.

If he wasn’t fat and out of shape he would be in the two deep already. But, here we are. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wayne said:

From Bobby:

Will have more tomorrow.

- Practice was under the lights inside DKR.

- They pumped some music in and got the place loud.

- Not full pads. Helmets and shoulder pads only.

- A couple of turnovers, one pick thrown by Trey Owens in the flat and one by Arch Manning over the middle.

- Silas Bolden and Ryan Wingo continue to receive rave reviews. A twisting catch by Wingo down the sideline was one of the night’s highlights.

- Colin Simmons looked particularly good in some one on one pas rush work against Cam Williams.

- Quinn Ewers and Manning both looked good overall.

- I should have more for folks in the morning. 

That a mismatch and exactly the guy I want Cam Williams working against. I have 0 worries about his run blocking or him dealing with bull rushers. Make him get used to the speed Simmons can bring off the edge. 

• Hook 'Em 4