2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If I ever get in trouble, I just go 5 Wide, All Go/Verticals and throw it deep to Bond, and then Wingo, and then a 5 star that I recruited with 99 speed. It feels like cheating. 

Are you me after the CPU torches my D for a 3 play 80 yard drive in 15 seconds, and I need to score again before the half to make things right in the universe? 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

These are the stats from our RB’s in 1969.  Steve Worster 4.8 YPC, Jim Bertelsen 7.1 YPC, Ted Koy 5.3 YPC, Bobby Callison 4.7 YPC, Billy Dale 5.4 YPC, Terry Collins 5.6 YPC, Paul Robichau 6.3 YPC.  These are the stats from our RB’s in 1996.  Shon Mitchell 5.4 YPC, Ricky Williams 6.2 YPC, Priest Holmes 5.5 YPC, Chris Butcher 4.7 YPC, Ricky Browm 4.1 YPC.  We had more depth at RB in  1969 than we did in 1996.

image.gif.ba1395941156425c3ce27d979e48c2c6.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Slacks said:

You bring up a good point... there is gold in them hills... I would be fine with seeing us roll out 6 WRs that can go off...  But I don't think the folklore is folklore. I don't recall him rolling out a bunch of WRs anywhere... and maybe he never could.

I guess it all depends upon one’s perspective. The guy used 4 wrs at Bama two years in a row. He also threw regularly to two different TEs during the same period, or at least 2020. He used 5 wide receivers in his rotation for at least one year at UW. 

So if the notion is that he’s never used more than 3 in the rotation, that’s just flatly wrong. If it’s that he’s never used 6, okay. The idea that the rotation will wind up being limited to 3 this season, unless due to injury, is incorrect. Is it fully 6? That shouldn’t surprise anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That’s not actually correct and has become something akin to folklore. In addition, he’s clearly stated repeatedly this offseason that he’s going with a larger rotation because he can. 

Also, Texas has committed mid-6 figures to a minimum of 6 WRs at Sarkisian’s pleading. If boosters spend $400k on Golden to just see him returning kicks, that’s going to be a problem in the future.  Y’all may not like that, but it’s part of the game now. 

Makes sense to me….just look at it business like the NFL. 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess it all depends upon one’s perspective. The guy used 4 wrs at Bama two years in a row. He also threw regularly to two different TEs during the same period, or at least 2020. He used 5 wide receivers in his rotation for at least one year at UW. 

I think part of the folklore you speak to came about when he was first hired and said that too many numbers were allocated to the WR room. I think people then just assumed he wanted to keep the numbers low (7-9 players) and have a set of starters, soon to be starters, and rookies/ depth/ insurance. 

3 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I think part of the folklore you speak to came about when he was first hired and said that too many numbers were allocated to the WR room. I think people then just assumed he wanted to keep the numbers low (7-9 players) and have a set of starters, soon to be starters, and rookies/ depth/ insurance. 

And we haven’t had this many good WRs on a team in his tenure here. We had one his first two years and 2.5 last year 

3 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

These are the stats from our RB’s in 1969.  Steve Worster 4.8 YPC, Jim Bertelsen 7.1 YPC, Ted Koy 5.3 YPC, Bobby Callison 4.7 YPC, Billy Dale 5.4 YPC, Terry Collins 5.6 YPC, Paul Robichau 6.3 YPC.  These are the stats from our RB’s in 1996.  Shon Mitchell 5.4 YPC, Ricky Williams 6.2 YPC, Priest Holmes 5.5 YPC, Chris Butcher 4.7 YPC, Ricky Browm 4.1 YPC.  We had more depth at RB in  1969 than we did in 1996.

congratulations on 1) not knowing how offensive trends work and 2) not understanding your own argument.  truly amazing.

IMG_3365.gif

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

You know 3 got drafted right. So the guy drafted last was just 1/2 good huh?

I wouldn't consider Whitt a great college receiver. He may likely have a better pro career than college, if healthy. But regardless of opinions on Whitt the point still remains...after them there was basically not much last year.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wouldn't consider Whitt a great college receiver. He may likely have a better pro career than college, if healthy. But regardless of opinions on Whitt the point still remains...after them there was basically not much last year.

I'll accept that but just pointing out that you said "good receivers" not great. Whit was a reliable option in the passing game, good at breaking tackles, not really a deep threat but a great and willing blocker. I would juxtapose that if he was here still, he would still be a starter as he was a very good slot reciever. But then again I am a "Bafoon" of a poster so don't listen to me.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So if the notion is that he’s never used more than 3 in the rotation, that’s just flatly wrong. If it’s that he’s never used 6, okay. The idea that the rotation will wind up being limited to 3 this season, unless due to injury, is incorrect. Is it fully 6? That shouldn’t surprise anyone. 

I dont think anyone is stating Sark will only use 3 WRs. Only real 4 man rotation Sark has run the last 5 years was that insane Bama group of DeVonte Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Waddle in 2019. That was 4 first round WRs, so he will open it up for talent. 2020 Waddle only played 6 games and it was Smith, Metchie, and Bolden basically running the show after. Bolden didnt have a catch for the 1st 4 games that year. Granted at Texas, he just hasnt had a lot of talent to open it up, so it may not be the best data point. We will see how it plays out, but it seems unlikely to he uses a true 6 man rotation based on his history. Sounds like the discussion is around a 4-5 man rotation. The biggest factor will be if any or how many of the current group break out and become All-Conference type players. Personally, I hope it is a pretty tight rotation. If it is 4 man rotation, that probably means 2 of the group have become All-SEC type WRs. If it is 6 man rotation, that means nobody has elevated themselves. 

Edited by Codaxx

I can see Bolden lining up in the backfield some or running the orbit route ala Davantae Smith. With reports of his quickness and suddenness, that little route Bijan would run out in the flat  is going to be deadly. 

Being able to keep guys fresh despite running deep routes and having long catch and runs is a major benefit. 
I remember seeing Worthy get so gassed or nicked up at times during games and there wouldn’t be anyone able fill in for him. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Being able to keep guys fresh despite running deep routes and having long catch and runs is a major benefit. 
I remember seeing Worthy get so gassed or nicked up at times during games and there wouldn’t be anyone able fill in for him. 

That does remind me of watching Worthy limp off the field like he was just shot, only to come back and fly by a CB the next series. He made my heart skip a few times last season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Note on Barron from IT.

Per a source, Barron starting at boundary corner and Malik Muhammad starting at field corner is a very real possibility. This is made possible due to a few key factors:

1. Jaylon Guilbeau’s growth at Star. Guilbeau continues to build on his great offseason and continues to earn his snaps 

2. Barron’s athleticism to play corner. Barron and Guilbeau are both fast and athletic enough to play corner

3. Muhammad’s versatility at corner. Not all corners can play both boundary and field corner but Muhammad certainly can

Texas will play the best five defensive backs and right now both Guilbeau and Barron are two of the best five. The possibility of Barron at corner becomes more real by the day.

• Hook 'Em 9

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Note on Barron from IT.

Per a source, Barron starting at boundary corner and Malik Muhammad starting at field corner is a very real possibility. This is made possible due to a few key factors:

1. Jaylon Guilbeau’s growth at Star. Guilbeau continues to build on his great offseason and continues to earn his snaps 

2. Barron’s athleticism to play corner. Barron and Guilbeau are both fast and athletic enough to play corner

3. Muhammad’s versatility at corner. Not all corners can play both boundary and field corner but Muhammad certainly can

Texas will play the best five defensive backs and right now both Guilbeau and Barron are two of the best five. The possibility of Barron at corner becomes more real by the day.

That sounds bad for Gavin Holmes and Jay'Vion Cole - I guess they haven't developed as hoped.

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Note on Barron from IT.

Your long national nightmare is over! 

Realistically I think this gives us two physical corners that can press and still run.

Just now, Bevo said:

That sounds bad for Gavin Holmes and Jay'Vion Cole - I guess they haven't developed as hoped.

I think it's more about what we want to do at the LOS with our corners this year vs years past.

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Note on Barron from IT.

That’s great and all except for the part where Barron needs to actually get snaps at CB in practice. Those guys are grasping at the same straws as we are and trying to apply whatever handy logic is nearby. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s great and all except for the part where Barron needs to actually get snaps at CB in practice. Those guys are grasping at the same straws as we are and trying to apply whatever handy logic is nearby. 

Barron was one of three players Sark took to SEC media days. I'd say he's one of our best 2-3 players on defense. I certainly don't buy the "We know what we have in him, so we're just going to play him on the second team the entire first week of practice" explanation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Jesus Christ this is the most doomer take on a puff piece I've ever seen

Unrelated:

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Barron was one of three players Sark took to SEC media days. I'd say he's one of our best 2-3 players on defense. I certainly don't buy the "We know what we have in him, so we're just going to play him on the second team the entire first week of practice" explanation. 

I’ve confirmed that the guy isn’t getting many looks at CB. 

Also, that’s a good thing. He’s not a fucking corner. 

Now why he’s not in heavy first team rotations irrespective of what they’re doing with Guilbeau, I don’t know. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

How do you discern this from that update? If the goal is to get the best five DBs on the field, playing Barron at CB does that.

However, as CTJ said, maybe the 9.95ers have no idea what they're talking about here.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Like 1

People that many of us non-idiots trust on this kind of thing would say that they’re just playing around with combinations and finding out who fits where situationally before they start doing CSU and Michigan installs. 

I’m not going to worry about the embarrassment of riches they’re dealing with right now. If Barron is actually playing CB for meaningful snaps in the final scrimmage or against CSU, then I’ll start to wonder what in the utter fuck is going on over there. Maybe he needs to have his faced ripped off in coverage against the Texas WRs a few times to realize that the CB fantasy is as valid as LSU’s 2007 title. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I keep forgetting about Jay'Vion Cole. I would hope he can pass Holmes at some point. 

I'm sure we will see hockey line shifts week 1 in the secondary as they throw guys in the fire. It should be a decent test as the only thing Colorado State can do competently is throw the ball.

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jesus Christ this is the most doomer take on a puff piece I've ever seen

Not really - Barron is not a corner so if he is starting at corner then it means that Cole and Holmes aren't where they need to be. With that said, I agree with CTJ's sentiments that Barron to corner is BS and just IT talking nonsense.

Has everyone forgotten about the backups playing about as much as the starters in the secondary? Unless there's a philosophical change with Nansen coming in, I don't' see why that would change, so why fret about who's technically the starters? 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Has everyone forgotten about the backups playing about as much as the starters in the secondary? Unless there's a philosophical change with Nansen coming in, I don't' see why that would change, so why fret about who's technically the starters? 

I haven't forgotten about our terrible substitution packages :) 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Good point, but our secondary wasn't a strength last year and needs to improve. Well, mainly safety but still...

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Note on Barron from IT.

So last year's offense and a top 10 secondary and we gon' run it.

Barron doesn't need reps at nickel.  I imagine they are getting Guilbeau as many reps as he will likely rotate in heavily.  If Barron can play all 3 positions on the back end, I imagine they will sub in Guilbeau a lot if Barron is rotating around the back end if they are subbing out any of the CBs or safeties.  They also had Jelani McDonald working with the 1st team... so yeah... not taking the depth chart too seriously right now.  I imagine it is very likely going to be:

Nickel:  Barron/Guilbeau

CB:  Muhammad, Holmes

S:  Mukuba, Williams

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Barron doesn't need reps at nickel.  I imagine they are getting Guilbeau as many reps as he will likely rotate in heavily. 

Kelvin Banks probably doesn't need reps at LT. If he spent the entire first week working with the second team, with Goosby getting all the first team reps, people would probably be curious as to why that was happening. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one that remembers Barron trying to cover receivers last season? It was not his strong suit. I sincerely doubt he will be playing corner regularly. 

That being said, he was amazing at covering screens and picking off bad throws to the flats. He's one of our best DBs against the run as well. At this point, he's probably our best over-all DB period (although Manny and Williams have higher upside). 

It seems more likely that they're working him at CB as part of an effort to put our best 11 on the field at a give time. If down and distance suggest that he's not going to have to cover a real route, then why not move him to corner and bring in the next best guy at star?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Kelvin Banks probably doesn't need reps at LT. If he spent the entire first week working with the second team, with Goosby getting all the first team reps, people would probably be curious as to why that was happening. 

Yeah, just because we get snippets of what's happening in a 20 minute media window doesn't give us an accurate picture of what they are doing during the closed practices.  They had Derek Williams Jr working with the 2nd team as well.  Also, not sure how they split up 1st and 2nd team but it could be something as simple as the 2nd team defense is going against the 1st team offense and maybe they want a look at Barron getting reps against the #1 WRs.  Also your analogy is apples to oranges.  Banks plays just LT.  Sark has said Barron is going to be moving around the back end.  While they try him in multiple spots, it would make sense to let his back up get 1st team reps.  I'm guessing Barron is going to be starting at nickel when they walk out there for the 1st play of the season and all this discussion is going to be forgotten.

• Hook 'Em 1