2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Brugler has Trey Moore as the #6 and Ethan Burke as the #12 draft-eligible underclass edge prospect, and Sorrell as his #11 senior 

Hoping Burke takes a big step this year. Need big pasty to be an absolute animal in the backfield this season.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Am I the only one that remembers Barron trying to cover receivers last season? It was not his strong suit. I sincerely doubt he will be playing corner regularly. 

That being said, he was amazing at covering screens and picking off bad throws to the flats. He's one of our best DBs against the run as well. At this point, he's probably our best over-all DB period (although Manny and Williams have higher upside). 

It seems more likely that they're working him at CB as part of an effort to put our best 11 on the field at a give time. If down and distance suggest that he's not going to have to cover a real route, then why not move him to corner and bring in the next best guy at star?

reports were he was banged up all year, but I agree. He is such an instinctive player and that is a huge part of playing Nickel. Feel like you lose that moving him to corner. That is not something you can always see in practice. The only real weakness on paper in the secondary is the corer spot opposite of Muhammad, perhaps they are just experimenting to see if they can build some depth. I tend to think this is more about figuring out rotations in the secondary and which players work well together. There were reports that Taffee and McDonald came out with the 1st team in one of the practices

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

reports were he was banged up all year, but I agree. He is such an instinctive player and that is a huge part of playing Nickel. Feel like you lose that moving him to corner. That is not something you can always see in practice. The only real weakness on paper in the secondary is the corer spot opposite of Muhammad, perhaps they are just experimenting to see if they can build some depth. I tend to think this is more about figuring out rotations in the secondary and which players work well together. There were reports that Taffee and McDonald came out with the 1st team in one of the practices

or Gideon/Joseph be like:

image.gif.1e5ca3cbe9e0eb7c454ca49a4f24a3a4.gif

Barron doesn't need reps at nickel.  I imagine they are getting Guilbeau as many reps as he will likely rotate in heavily.  If Barron can play all 3 positions on the back end, I imagine they will sub in Guilbeau a lot if Barron is rotating around the back end if they are subbing out any of the CBs or safeties.  They also had Jelani McDonald working with the 1st team... so yeah... not taking the depth chart too seriously right now.  I imagine it is very likely going to be:

Nickel:  Barron/Guilbeau
CB:  Muhammad, Holmes
S:  Mukuba, Williams
You forget Taffee/ducks
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:41 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby Burton

Administrators

Posted 3 hours ago

I'm headed over to the University this morning for the media window that begins as 9am.

Here's a quick what-we-learned from week one:

- Silas Bolden will have a significant role in 2024. Expect Bolden to win the punt returners job and expect him to find a way into the rotation as a receiver. "Fearless" has been the way some have described the diminutive transfer receiver from Oregon State.

- Ryan Wingo is better than advertised. He has continued his ascent and did not hit the freshman wall over the summer.

- Trey Moore is making lots of plays. But he doesn't look like he should. He is clearly the smallest of the Texas edge players.

- Texas is trying to manage the secondary to get their best 11 on the field. That means Jaylan Guilbeau has seen the majority of starting action at nickel with Jahdae Barron potentially filling a role opposite Manny Muhammad at one cornerback spot.

- This has the makings of a really good transfer class. If I'm guessing who would be drafted first among the transfers, I'd maybe pick Amari Niblack at this point over Isaiah Bond. Niblack has looked like a major weapon early in camp.

- The Texas WR room has the most depth I've ever witnessed during my time covering or following the Longhorns.

- The Texas QB room is ridiculously talented. Go back ~10 years and my guess is Trey Owens would be pushing to start for Texas just like David Ash did. Yet now he's comfortably third string and can bide his time.

- Gavin Holmes is not going to give up the starting corner spot to Jay'Vion Cole willingly. Holmes put in some real work this off-season and it shows.

- Anthony Hill appears to be taking the next step as a leader and true middle linebacker. Multiple coaches are high on him and think he has not only the physical skills but the mental aptitude to pull off leading a defense.

- Derrick Williams is poised for a big season. In fact, the entire Texas sophomore class looks like it could be one for the ages. They are that talented across the board.

More after today's practice.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Pressure bust pipes but it also makes diamonds! 

What its all about

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

If Derrick Williams is poised for a breakout year than why is taafe getting first team reps? Don’t get it. 

Taafe and Williams were on the field together a lot last year. And early camp always has a lot of rotation. (And the coaches like him more than we do for better or worse).

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

If Derrick Williams is poised for a breakout year than why is taafe getting first team reps? Don’t get it. 

You guys sure put way too much stock into one practive early in fall camp. I bet we see Williams, Barron, and Mukuba walk out onto the field on August 31st for the 1st defensive series and every 1st series of the season after that barring injury.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

Haha! My first thought after seeing this is “how long have you been waiting to post this one”?

16 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I thought he posted it every year.....nothing wrong with that, given the attention span of the average Surly poster....

This is a brand, new version of the old post. I'm too lazy to scroll down through my old memes, so I recreated it, as it's one of my faves. Collect 'em all!

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Tbf it’s OB so 80% chance it’s bullshit

OTF confirmed

CJ Vogel update

Update 7:09 p.m

As others have reported the name, OnTexasFootball can confirm the player in question in regards to the possible injury situation is RB CJ Baxter.

Baxter was spotted on crutches after practice and has been taken for an MRI this evening.

I urge readers to not jump to conclusion until the facts of the matter are confirmed.