2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Maybe it’s a sprain or contusion?

I’m pretty sure that Longhorn Lounge account just records them from screen and uploads to their YT

Yeah, that's totally not fair use and idk why CDC hasn't already shut their shit down. 

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well, if there’s a potential bright side….. Blue’s touches increasing to Bijan level isn’t a bad thing.

Baxter and Blue complement each other well. I’m glad Blue showed something after I shit on him after the Wyoming game, but he has still never carried the ball more than 10 times in a college game and is not an ideal between the tackles runner. I sure hope he isn’t touching it at Bijan levels.

IMG_8142.thumb.jpeg.decd81cbd38e13c8208a42f0a7d96c09.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well, if there’s a potential bright side….. Blue’s touches increasing to Bijan level isn’t a bad thing.

Poor Baxter.  If he misses significant time, he could end up getting passed over by Gibson and Clark.

I feel bad for the kid because he's now 2 for 2 in seasons starting with an injury.

Should obviously tap the breaks a bit on the Baxter injury meltdown - false alarms happen every year - but if there is a room that can sustain that, it's the RB room. I have no aprehension about Jaydon Blue spelled by Wisner/Gibson/Clark while Baxter recovers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Agreed. Also, assuming Baxter is out for a few games, we get to possibly see what Gibson and Clark can do. Just a little silver lining. It's always next man up, and Choice recruits like a motherfucker. We have talent. 

Hopefully CB4 is OK and they'll hold him out for a few weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean the RB room is fucking stacked with high 4 and 5 star talent. It's not ideal to lose your #1 guy, but that room can absorb the short term loss. If anything, getting more reps for Wisner, Clark, and Gibson isn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how well Blue and Wisner compliment one another, assuming CB4 is out for awhile. Plus we'll get to see some Gibson and Clark. Choice is a stud coach and gets only those he knows can step up. 

Fingers crossed that Baxter is good, tho. I've been waiting for a whole god damn season to see how a second year Baxter looks with armor. Regardless, we have studs in the backfield, so we good. 

Were Sweat & Murphy seen as NFL guys this time last year? I know Sweat was talked about as a day three pick some towards the middle of the season. Murphys accession to 1st round grades was definitely unexpected. Collins seems like he has much more established pre-season hype compared to that duo. Maybe Broughton will surprise, Kenny Baker did seem to like him in those Mic’d up sessions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Poor Baxter.  If he misses significant time, he could end up getting passed over by Gibson and Clark.

I feel bad for the kid because he's now 2 for 2 in seasons starting with an injury.

The ankle injury was evident all season long last year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

The ankle injury was evident all season long last year.

he also hurt his shoulder on the first run of his career, a nice 20 yarder, went down hard on the sideline and i think may have missed the rest of the game.

Bobby Burton

Injuries happen in football. And they suck.

Sophomore running back Cedric Baxter Jr. went down with a knee injury during yesterday's portion of team drills.

Here's what we know so far:

1. This was not a non-contact knee injury. It occurred during team drills.

2. Baxter is said to have not heard a "pop" during the injury. For those who know, that is possibly good news because significant ACL injuries typically are often accompanied with a loud popping noise.

3. Baxter was given an MRI after practice.

4. We do not know the results of that MRI yet.

Of course, we will report on the outcome as soon as we know it. Baxter was expected to be a key piece of the 2024 Longhorns, providing a tough inside running threat to counteract the speed of Jaydon Blue and Tre Wisner to the outside.

We'll keep our fingers crossed and await what the doctors say.

Texas players Barryn Sorrell, Jaydon Blue, David Gbenda and Gunnar Helm were made available to the media yesterday afternoon.

Three of those players - Sorrell, Gbenda and Helm - are as workman-like as they come and they embody the culture of what Steve Sarkisian has brought to the 40 Acres. That "culture" is one of ongoing development, consistent day-to-day work that eventually pays off.

Blue is different. His elite speed has always been a calling card going to back to his high school days.

And Blue was not always happy on the 40 Acres. Forced to bide his time, he contemplated transferring.

Yet Blue decided to adopt the culture provided by others instead of fight it. And look at him now.

He's expected to be one of the team's true offensive threats. Had he thrown in the towel a year and a half ago, and transferred elsewhere, he likely wouldn't be set up like he is now after working through adversity.

When we talk about "culture" and the value of it, it's not only the players who are on the straight and narrow from the outset, but the ones who benefit from it because they see their peers having success doing things a different way and with a different mindset.

Blue was asked yesterday if anyone had gavin him some advice that he took to heart during his journey at Texas. He recalled something Bijan Robinson told him: "Be patient," Robinson said. Wise words indeed, advice that is paying dividends for the Horns

I've watched multiple practices now and a few younger players are starting to exhibit that their poised to take that all-important next step. Who are couple of them?

Well, I'd point to two that I really like that have yet to get much discussion publicly: Andre Cojoe and Derion Gullette.

Surprisingly, Cojoe is running second team right tackle. He has slimmed down considerably from a year ago, his body is almost completely transformed. Cojoe has always been quick, even when he was out of shape when he enrolled at Texas as just a 17-year old, but he is really starting to come into his own.

I thought going into the season I thought Brandon Baker or Jaydon Chatman would almost assuredly be the second team offensive tackle. But right now, it's Cojoe.

As for Gullette, he is situated differently than Cojoe. Gullette was a blue chip recruit who had a serious knee injury as a high school senior and spent a year rehabbing it. Then he had a phenom in Anthony Hill arrive on campus at the same time as him, as well as a natural and long-term linebacker in Liona Lefau.

Gullette is clearly starting to make strides, positive ones. Every day you watch him in practice, he seems a little more confident and little more comfortable. And he's always had excellent athletic traits.

I don't know if either Gullette or Cojoe will be eventual starters for Texas in a year or two. But I know I wouldn't bet against either of them right now. I think they're turning a corner.

• Hook 'Em 6

33 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Stockholm syndrome?

I mean, it's possible Drew Kelson had him chained up in his dungeon with a metal chain around his neck while taking whippings from a rattan cane while hearing "You fucking love them Longhorns, don't ya, Joel? You better fucking say it! It rubs the lotion on its skin until it loves Texas again!" 

Sure, I can see that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Surprisingly, Cojoe is running second team right tackle. He has slimmed down considerably from a year ago, his body is almost completely transformed. Cojoe has always been quick, even when he was out of shape when he enrolled at Texas as just a 17-year old, but he is really starting to come into his own.

I thought going into the season I thought Brandon Baker or Jaydon Chatman would almost assuredly be the second team offensive tackle. But right now, it's Cojoe.

Reminder that Cojoe was the youngest recruit in that Texas class by five months

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1