2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

IT said something like Baxter will miss enough time that Tre Wisner and the Two freshman players will get a lot of playing time. 

Guessing that's at least 3-4 weeks of the season

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:
  Hide contents

All the indicators IT picking up at running back is it’s going to be next man up after CJ Baxter injured his knee during Tuesday’s practice. At this time IT does not know the exact results of his MRI but we can tell from a couple of interactions that he’s going to miss enough time that people are already talking about Tre Wisner and the two freshman, Jerrick Gibson, and Christian Clark, playing a lot this season.

A note on Baxter, I hate covering injuries and will probably let the school or player handle the exact nature of the injury. I did hear it was a freak, bad luck play. It’s impossible to not feel terrible for him.

I’ll be curious to see how the staff handles Jaydon Blue’s carries the rest of the month. I assume they’ll strike a balance in order to keep the rust off but not expose him too much. 

With Baxter expected to miss extended time, here’s how the back field shapes up after catching up with a source.

Jaydon Blue “is special, looks great running inside and outside. He’s as sharp as ever and the same running back who dominated during the spring.” 

Tre Wisner “will be a really good running back in his career. Has a tough nature, like we saw on special teams. He runs the ball like he runs down on special teams. He doesn’t want to go down, runs very hard. Not the biggest or strongest or fastest but will do anything to get yards and hits the hole hard. He’ll do whatever the coaches ask of him.”

Jerrick Gibson “has all those measurable, looks like Franke Gore, is a stud. He’ll come along, just takes a little time.”

Christian Clark “sees the gap really well, patient, great cutback vision. He had flashes yesterday in team run that reminded of Bijan Robinson.”

Coming out, comparing Clark to Bijan was easy and it had nothing to do with both being from Arizona. We could not have been more vocal about how high the staff was on Clark even though he had a much lower recruiting profile than many others in the class, including a number of runners the staff passed on.

The overall sentiment within the program is there’s a ton of belief in all the runners including the two true freshmen. Now you can expect to see all four this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Clark or Gibson assume Baxter’s role while Wisner remains more as the Keilan Robinson 3rd down back, but, we’ll see how it all plays out.

This does put some concerns on blocking (blitz pick-up) and short yardage running (which was an issue last year). 

Can't believe I'm saying this, but that's a solid report from Nahlin. I appreciate that he's letting the school and player make an announcement (although that probably has less to do professional courtesy and more to do with a lack of info). He's also right that Baxter is a young guy with a few years ahead of him. We've got a full stable. It's a luxury that we don't need him and that he doesn't need to rush his recovery. Hopefully he plays this season but it's not like he's lost his shot. 

I’m reading the situation as it’s not a complete miss the season ACL tear. That would be clear as day on a MRI. The question has to be surgery for tear or rehab it. Rehab gets him back on the field sooner but is that the best option for a young running back

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m reading the situation as it’s not a complete miss the season ACL tear. That would be clear as day on a MRI. The question has to be surgery for tear or rehab it. Rehab gets him back on the field sooner but is that the best option for a young running back

Gerry seemed to intimate that Baxter is looking at his long term health, and not trying to come back early.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

Gerry seemed to intimate that Baxter is looking at his long term health, and not trying to come back early.

As long as Blue stays healthy, I'm on board.

The Red transfer still confuses me. Seems like he was set to get significant playing time and was just an injury away from a heavy workload. Am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Red transfer still confuses me. Seems like he was set to get significant playing time and was just an injury away from a heavy workload. Am I missing something?

No, Red is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Tre Wisner is a better back than Red. And so are the freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I thought I remembered reports on him last year always being a bit hot/cold, like he wasn't always on the same page as the coaches. IIRC. Them trying to get more out of him and whatnot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Former top 10 RB who initially signed with LSU, had injury problems at Utah and is available. 5'11" & 220 and maybe 35 years old by now:

always love the former top 10 stuff. HE got 8 whole carries last year at Utah and 12 the year before. I guess he is top 10 among the Utah RBs. 

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

These concerns are merited for the people that like to worry, with you leading the pack, but Choice is an excellent coach when it comes to TB blocking (and overall) and both freshman can and will run inside and have the bodies for it.

Red wore out his welcome. Choice has told people that he thinks there are 5 TBs on campus who will play in the NFL. That was in the spring with Red on campus and Choice sure to clarify that he wasn't counting Red among them. If there is any single coach on the staff that I trust in regard to reads like of his own group, it's Choice. People pining for Red are like people pining for Bozo the Clown at a kid's birthday party.

Amen.  Red leaving was a positive. He was a JAG. Wisner is much better.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

These concerns are merited for the people that like to worry, with you leading the pack, but Choice is an excellent coach when it comes to TB blocking (and overall) and both freshman can and will run inside and have the bodies for it.

Red wore out his welcome. Choice has told people that he thinks there are 5 TBs on campus who will play in the NFL. That was in the spring with Red on campus and Choice sure to clarify that he wasn't counting Red among them. If there is any single coach on the staff that I trust in regard to reads like of his own group, it's Choice. People pining for Red are like people pining for Bozo the Clown at a kid's birthday party.

You’re hung up on some clown from the 60s man!!!

• Haha 8

I had an isolated LCL tear once. My understanding is that's quite rare. Doc told it usually occurs in conjunction with an ACL tear. I guess good news is the ACL is intact.

I'm sure one of our orthopedists could come in and tell me everything I've just said is wrong and actually the PCL's involvement makes it worse for CB

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The report of a freak deal is spot on if this is actually the case.  I’ve been in the athletic training world for 15 years now and seen 2 PCL tears ever (1 contact and 1 non contact) and never seen an LCL tear.  

Mike Craven is wrong though.  Don’t matter how it heals, it ain’t gonna be a month.  

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

I had an isolated LCL tear once. My understanding is that's quite rare. Doc told it usually occurs in conjunction with an ACL tear. I guess good news is the ACL is intact.

I'm sure one of our orthopedists could come in and tell me everything I've just said is wrong and actually the PCL's involvement makes it worse for CB

LCLs are super rare.  

PCL tears are from extreme hyperextension. Baxter had to have been planted and hit square in the knee to get it. Still having a PCL/LCL combo is weird as hell to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1