2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

15 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I tore my PCL and LCL about 13 years ago, and it was not a fun recovery. They did put in a cadaver achilles tendon in there, so theoretically the tendon was stronger than before, but range of motion was never the same. Of course I was far from an elite athlete in my 20s. I fell off an ATV in Costa Rica, over the side of a cliff, and the ATV rolled down and over me as I tumbled to what I suspected might be my death, so yeah, it's a rare injury. 

Fucking gringos dude. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)

The Insider: How Texas football moves on after CJ Baxter's injury and more

Summary:

• Baxter loss is big, but there are plenty of options. Blue wants to be NFL bound after this year. There are a lot of high expectations for Wisner
  • Gibson is ahead of Clark at this point. "I think Jerrick is going to be like a Roschon Johnson, maybe a little more explosive. I think Christian Clark has some of the similar traits to Bijan Robinson." - Choice
  • Offense looks really good in camp thus far
  • Sorrell's NFL stock is rising
  • Trey Moore is going to be an issue for opposing offenses in obvious passing situations
Spoiler

In this week's edition of The Insider, we go behind the scenes to see how Texas football will move on after the season-ending knee injury to running back CJ Baxter and much more.

Chip Brown

— You don't know what kind of leadership you have until you encounter adversity. 

For Texas football, that adversity seemed likely to wait until the season started — possibly during a Sept. 7 road trip to defending national champion Michigan — until sophomore running back CJ Baxter went down with what turned out to be a season-ending knee injury in Tuesday's first fully-padded practice of fall camp.

Baxter missed last season's game against Wyoming with a foot injury, but he finished 2023 with a 4.8 yards-per-carry and five touchdowns while catching 24 passes for 156 yards. Not bad for a freshman whose high school team employed a gap run scheme (in which the back runs through a specific gap, often with a lead blocker) and was still getting comfortable with Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian's zone runs (in which the back follows the flow of the offensive line and looks for a crease to run through).

More importantly, Baxter was becoming proficient in pass protection, a critical requirement in keeping third-year starting quarterback Quinn Ewers healthy after Texas gave up 28 sacks last season (second-most in the Big 12 to Baylor's 34).

"I feel like ever since I've been here — from January 2023 until now — I've only gotten better at it [pass protection]," Baxter said last week. 

Yes, the Longhorns still have junior running back Jaydon Blue, a 6-foot, 200-pound rocket who proved to be one of the fastest players on the roster while averaging 6.1 yards per carry and 9.64 yards per catch last season. 

Blue is entirely capable of keeping Sarkisian's string of 1,000-yard rushers alive while catching 30 or more passes, increasing the odds of a Longhorn becoming the top running back selected in the NFL Draft for a third straight year (all of which are projections I've been making for Blue since the end of last season).

Blue was asked in the spring if he's looking at the 2024 season as a "contract year."

Jaydon Blue oozes confidence and the Longhorns need it to translate into production on the field. With CJ Baxter out, Blue has the most experience of the four healthy scholarship running backs.

"Yeah," he said. "The plan is to be gone after this year. However the year [goes], we'll see. But hopefully, I'll be gone after this year."

If this year's Longhorns ever encounter a crisis in confidence, they can borrow some from Blue's endless supply.

"He brings the energy to practice," Baxter said. "I told him, like, whenever you have juice, the whole team has juice, so just keep bringing it." 

But it was the combination of Baxter and Blue that gave Texas one of the top running back rooms in the nation.

Now, the Longhorns have one of the best backs in the country in Blue, and it'll be up to sophomore Tre Wisner and freshmen Jerrick Gibson and Christian Clark to determine if Texas will continue to have a top running back room.

Former Texas running back Fozzy Whittaker told Horns247 he sees Wisner as the most likely to move up the depth chart in Baxter's absence. at least right now.

"Tre is patient and has that never-give-up attitude on a play that allows him to find hidden yardage and then rip off the chunk play/home run," Whittaker said.

At 6 feet and 200 pounds, Wisner is a near clone of Blue physically and had an identical 6.1 yards per carry last season (on 12 attempts for 73 yards) with one touchdown. But their running styles have some distinct flavors.

Tre Wisner made an impact on special teams as a true freshman. He has a chance to make a splash with the ball in his hands due to CJ Baxter's injury. (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Wisner runs with good contact balance and no fear between the tackles. Blue's speed makes him a nightmare in space, capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

"The thing about Tre is he's right there at the top of hardest workers on our team," Sarkisian said in the spring. "That guy goes for it every day, every rep, and it's paying dividends for him."

Whittaker said in Baxter's absence, he expects Wisner to get 10 to 12 carries per game initially.

"I think he could be the goal-line and short yardage back, too," Whittaker said.

Texas fifth-year senior center Jake Majors said last week Blue has been "a great leader."

"He's vocal," Majors said. "He'll let you know when he beats you. That's just Blue's personality. On a team, you need guys like that. He's done a great job just developing as a player. I can't wait to see how he plays this season."

— According to team sources, when taking stock of where the two true freshmen stand, Gibson is ahead of Clark at this point in fall camp.

Running backs coach Tashard Choice told me at Sugar Bowl Media Day at the end of last season Gibson reminds him of Roschon Johnson.

"I think they're animals," Choice told Horns247 of Gibson and Clark. "I think Jerrick is going to be like a Roschon Johnson, maybe a little more explosive. I think Christian Clark has some of the similar traits to Bijan Robinson."

— I talked to a former Big 12 coach knowledgeable of the Longhorns' personnel who said Texas should still have a solid 1-2 punch at running back "if Tre Wisner is as good as I think he is."

"Wisner at DeSoto was a natural at finding daylight, making people miss, staying on his feet after contact and playing angry with a nice stiff arm," the coach said. "Wisner runs a lot like Jonathon Brooks, honestly. That guy turned out pretty well."

The coach said Baxter's best days are definitely still ahead of him.

Tashard Choice has four options to turn to with CJ Baxter out for the 2024 season. After Jaydon Blue and Tre Wisner, Choice's room includes two true freshmen who he believes have special qualities as players.

"I like CJ Baxter, but he was definitely a work in progress," the coach said. "Jaydon Blue is more explosive. I wonder if Blue had ball security issues in practice in the past as the reason they were more reluctant to go with Blue over Baxter.

"Blue did have a couple of fumbles last year, including a huge one in the Sugar Bowl in the fourth quarter after he caught a pass and took it 21 yards before losing the ball near Washington's 20," the coach added. "Fumbles happen. But they can't keep happening."

The coach said Blue's speed and ability to catch the football will allow Sarkisian to do "more things in the passing game with Blue than he could do with Baxter."

"You can be in 11 personnel, give the defense a three-wide look and then flex into a five-wide look with Blue lined up as a receiver," the coach said. "He's fast enough to line up outside. You can do more with Blue than just flares and wheels. You saw that in the spring game. With his speed, you can run deeper routes, like a post. You couldn't do that with Baxter."

The coach said Wisner could end up being the team's surprise player on offense.

"That's saying a lot, considering [receivers] Silas Bolden, Matthew Golden, Isaiah Bond and Ryan Wingo are all likely to be impact newcomers this season," the coach said. "But you combine Tre Wisner with Tashard Choice's coaching, and I see big things for Wisner this year."

Fall camp observations from team sources

Quinn Ewers and the offense reportedly won the 11-on-11 portions of the team's first practice in full pads on Tuesday. Even without Baxter, Texas has one of the most potent offenses in the country with a bevy of talented weapons at Ewers' disposal.

— The same day Baxter was injured in practice [on Tuesday], I'm told the offense won the first day in full pads in 11-on-11 with big-play passes completed by Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning to Matthew Golden, Silas Bolden, Johntay Cook, Ryan Wingo and DeAndre Moore Jr.

— Michael Taaffe continues to rotate with Clemson transfer Andrew Mukuba at the field safety position, while sophomore Derek Williams Jr. is rotating with sophomore Jelani McDonald at boundary safety. The third rotation at safety was freshmen Xavier Filsaime and Santana Wilson.

— Don't be surprised if freshman five-star offensive tackle Brandon Baker ends up as the backup at either left or right tackle at some point this season. Sources said the only thing holding Baker back was his need to get stronger, and Baker went from 297 pounds in the spring to 315 pounds heading into fall camp.

— Barryn Sorrell said this week that when UTSA transfer EDGE Trey Moore rotates into a game, "he comes in on the other side," implying Moore replaces Ethan Burke. Burke will be valuable on first and second down as the team's highest-rated returning run defender (80.4), according to Pro Football Focus. Moore is the highest-rated returning pass rusher on the Texas roster (83.4), according to PFF, but was rated as a poor run defender (57.9) last season. You can bet there will be some hot-hand decisions at EDGE. If Burke, UT's sack leader (5.5) last season, has the hot hand, you could see Moore sub in for Sorrell.

— Liona Lefau is expected to be a core special teamer for Texas in 2024. That being said, he's said to be coming along as a linebacker and could be on the field a lot more on defense than he was as a true freshman.

— Texas needs sophomore Liona Lefau to emerge as a reliable rotational player at middle linebacker. Team sources say Lefau is putting it together and just needs opportunities to gain the confidence that comes with making a play on defense. Sophomore linebacker Anthony Hill Jr. called Lefau "one of the smartest players I've ever played with."

Barryn Sorrell's NFL stock on the rise

Barryn Sorrell has 9.5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss over the last two seasons. He's gone from an afterthought as a three-star recruit to a legitimate NFL prospect entering his final season with the Longhorns.

Barryn Sorrell making his way onto Bruce Feldman's college football Freaks List is a sign of how far he's come during his Texas career. The 6-foot-4-inch, 260-pound EDGE arrived on the Forty Acres as one of the lowest-rated members of the 2021 recruiting class — a three-star recruit ranked as the No. 111 defensive line prospect in the 2021 cycle by 247Sports — only to emerge as an NFL prospect as he heads into his senior season with the Longhorns.

When it comes to evaluating Sorrell for the next level, Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy got a good look at Sorrell last season. T'Vondre Sweat made his way to Mobile, Ala. for the prospect showcase and Byron Murphy was going to join him until it was clear he was going to be a first-round pick, but Nagy and Co. also evaluated Sorrell for a possible invitation to the Senior Bowl if he had made himself eligible for the draft.

"We did a lot of work on Barryn because he was a guy that we heard through the agent community was thinking about coming out," Nagy told Horns247 recently. "When we hear those kinds of things, we've got to put in the work."

Sorrell's teammates talked him up at SEC Media Days last month with Kelvin Banks Jr. and Jahdae Barron going out of their way to mention Sorrell as a player who could surprise people in 2024. The transfer portal addition of Trey Moore has raised the sense of urgency in the EDGE room and if the internal competition leads to Sorrell's best season, Nagy feels good about Sorrell's NFL stock going up.

"I'm glad to hear that he's taking the next step because he would have been on the fringe of getting an invite last year," Nagy said. "If he's put in the work and he's gotten better then he should be in a good spot.  JEFF HOWE

Trey Moore could be 'a problem' for Texas opponents

The only time the media has seen the Texas defense line up in practice with 11 defenders on the field together, Trey Moore was with the No. 1 group. His presence makes the Longhorns deeper at EDGE.

UTSA transfer EDGE Trey Moore has made a strong impression since coming to Texas after spending two seasons at the Group of Five level. Moore's 22 sacks and 35.5 tackles for loss in two seasons with the Roadrunners included 14 sacks and 18 tackles for loss last season en route to being named American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year.

I spoke with the G5 offensive line coach to get a better feel for how Moore, who has been working with the first-team defense in fall camp with the Longhorns, might hold up in the SEC. The outlook is good considering the coach said he's "not surprised [Moore is] already climbing the depth chart at Texas."

"We game-planned for him when we faced UTSA and quite frankly, we had no answer," the coach said. "What made him a cut above the rest were his pass-rush skills. It's one thing if a player is just faster or more athletic. He's more skilled in a way that as a coach, you just try to help out your guy as best you can,  but honestly, nothing during the week we schemed up was worth [anything] against him. If he has the type of coaching that he'll likely get at Texas, he's going to be a problem." — ERIC HENRY

Longhorns aim for strong finish to 2025 offensive line recruiting

Texas could be done with offensive line recruiting in 2025 if the decisions of Michael Fasusi and Nick Brooks are in favor of the Longhorns.

Texas will try and wrap up its 2025 offensive line class this month with a pair of decisions upcoming from five-star offensive tackle Michael Fasusi and four-star offensive tackle Nick Brooks.

Fasusi will go first on Aug. 21, deciding between Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Texas A&M. Our Crystal Ball predictions have remained on the Longhorns, but as we've reported, this is a back-forth battle with Oklahoma. It's hard to gauge exactly how this will end.

As for Brooks, Horns247 reported on Monday night that he was down to Texas, Georgia, and USC and will announce either Aug. 23 or Aug. 30 — he hasn't decided yet. Now back in the Peach State for his senior season, you could make arguments for all three schools, but talking to sources near Texas and elsewhere, the Longhorns keep getting brought up as the trendy pick.

Now, this isn't an either/or situation for Texas. If both Fasusi and Brooks want to come to Austin, both are more than welcome to and Texas would gladly accept their commitments.

As things stand now, I'm staying put on Texas with Fasusi. It's a long time until Aug. 21 and he has a lot of love for the Longhorns. I think Oklahoma is just as much in this thing, though.

If I had a Crystal Ball for Brooks, it would be on Texas.

We'll see how the next few weeks unfold here. — HANK SOUTH

What Kaliq Lockett's commitment means for Texas

Kaliq Lockett is the highest-rated member of the 2025 recruiting class for the Longhorns and the first five-star prospect to commit to Texas in the current cycle.

Although Texas suffered a pair of blows on Wednesday with the news of CJ Baxter's season-ending injury and Bellville four-star defensive lineman DJ Sanders moving up his commitment a day early to choose Texas A&M, there's other news from Wednesday that's tremendously positive for the Longhorns.

Garland Sachse five-star wide receiver Kaliq Lockett joined the 2025 recruiting class and now headlines Texas' haul as it heads deeper into a crucial month of recruiting. Not only is Lockett the highest-ranked wide receiver to commit to the Longhorns during the Steve Sarkisian era, but he's also the sixth highest-ranked wideout to commit to Texas in the modern era, falling only behind B.J. Johnson (2000), Bru McCoy (2019), Mike Davis (2010), Roy Williams (2000) and Marquis Johnson (2002) according to the 247Sports Composite.

Lockett's news should come as a positive any way you look at it. There hasn't been a staff that's developed talent better at Texas over the last 10 years than the current staff and after producing three NFL Draft picks at the position in April, Texas is now set to welcome the nation's No. 12 overall prospect and No. 2 wide receiver recruit in January.

The Longhorns still have their sights set on Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin five-star Jaime Ffrench.

There are plenty of different ways to look at the special moves Texas has made at the wide receiver position over the last two years. Few, however, will top Lockett's addition as a 6-foot-2-inch, 175-pounder with a 6-foot-7-inch wingspan and out-of-this-world ball skills.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, Fud said:

1) If Blue struggles in pass pro, they could do the 2019 LSU thing and just send out five receiving targets on obvious passing downs (LSU would motion CEH out to the field next to the sideline and either a LB would follow him or a CB would be sacrificed on him). Quinn would need to be better managing pressure for this to work though 

2) Texas is so loaded at WR and probably TE that 11 and 12 should be more than enough to get you to an elite offense 

3) Blue ideally is running outside zone types of plays (he's excellent there), but there's a chance he's still more than fine on IZ/Duo/Counter. He wasn't particularly good as an inside runner as a prospect, but watching the video posted earlier in this thread of his carries throughout the season, he got better at it as the season went on, especially as he got more reps with the first team. He's also a threat to hit a home run on an inside run if a LB misses his gap/gets blocked or bouncing it outside

New-England.jpg

Obligatory 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Tear of the LCL and PCL implies significant chance there was (unreported in lay updates) injury to more of the PLC (posterolateral corner). This is a bad injury, and I would be surprised to see him really participate in spring ball. Maybe a coin-flip (depending on details not available to me) on whether the CJ of 2025 looks like the CJ of early summer 2024. Don't shoot the messenger.

Can we neg a post but not the poster?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Always subtract at least  1 1/2-2" in height, and if they're fat add 20 lbs, if they're skinny, subtract 10lbs. 

Lol. Damn this is on the money. 

Sincerely, 6'1" / 200.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, and Sydir is 350

I learned a long time ago to never trust the media guide 

Your first clue that the players  weights  are made up is that they all end in 0 or 5. Every single one of them .

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Your first clue that the players  weights  are made up is that they all end in 0 or 5. Every single one of them .

Binary scale. One is Five. No math, just symbology.

20 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Someone already forgot the cheap shots by Bama and the fake cramps by LSU. Get ready for worse shit by more talented athletes.

I didn't forget them. We'll see if it holds up to the 50+ years of that cheapshot/take-him-out BS I saw from old SWC and Least12 foes.

Posted (edited)

We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Justice Haynes from Bama. He's gonna be a dude.  Very impressive. 

Wonder which RB gets to 1k this year? My best is on Blue. Plus add in his receiving and he just bumped himself into 1st-2nd round money. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Couple of bigger transfers need to get their shit together and act like they know the playbook and want to fucking  win. 

Sydir Mitchell wouldn’t make a 7 deep at this point. Maybe mix in a salad and some grilled food for like, maybe, the next half decade. 

Collin Simmons will be a double digit a year sack guy starting next year and should be disruptive early and often this season. 

Daniel Cruz is apparently a mean motherfucker on the field. 

Texas has a shot to have the overall best special teams in the country if the punter is even just average. It’s a complete wild card that remains an open question until one or two of them are facing live fire. Let’s hope someone has some cajones in Ann Arbor. I’m guessing Texas has to punt a bit in that game. 

Im guessing when you say “bigger” we are talking about the bigger profile transfers versus the actual bigger sized transfers?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Im guessing when you say “bigger” we are talking about the bigger profile transfers versus the actual bigger sized transfers?

This is second hand from a friend but I was told it looked like Bolden had been there all Spring and Bond looked like it’s his first day on the job. 

• Rage+1 4

Posted (edited)

Bolden knows that he's a dude and goes about it in a professional manner and bet on himself,  whereas I Bond expects to be the #1 guy because "stars". Same can be said with Try Moore (professional work, carries himself like one, and bet on himself). Niblack seems to have a good head on his shoulders and knows he has to work for it. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

45 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is second hand from a friend but I was told it looked like Bolden had been there all Spring and Bond looked like it’s his first day on the job. 

Righty-Ooo on one of them. I don’t give a fuck how fast someone is - if the QB can’t accurately believe you’re going to be where you’re supposed to be, good luck fitting into the rotation for long with that as a problem. 

51 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Ha. I think you know fully what I meant. Correct. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Bolden knows that he's a dude and goes about it in a professional manner and bet on himself,  whereas I Bond expects to be the #1 guy because "stars". Same can be said with Try Moore (professional work, carries himself like one, and bet on himself). Niblack seems to have a good head on his shoulders and knows he has to work for it. 

Bond expects what in where we are in August? Where are you seeing this? I hope he didn’t say this.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Couple of bigger transfers need to get their shit together and act like they know the playbook and want to fucking  win. 

Sydir Mitchell wouldn’t make a 7 deep at this point. Maybe mix in a salad and some grilled food for like, maybe, the next half decade. 

Collin Simmons will be a double digit a year sack guy starting next year and should be disruptive early and often this season. 

Texas has a shot to have the overall best special teams in the country if the punter is even just average. It’s a complete wild card that remains an open question until one or two of them are facing live fire. Let’s hope someone has some cajones in Ann Arbor. I’m guessing Texas has to punt a bit in that game. 

12 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, I'm going with Golden and Bond. I guess Niblack could be one, but I definitely don't think it's a defensive player. 

• Like 1

Expand a bit on special teams. Why do you think it will so great next year? ST has to be a tough group to gauge top 10 or even 50 in August.

47 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Bond expects what in where we are in August? Where are you seeing this? I hope he didn’t say this.

No, what I mean is Bolden has come in with a different attitude (not that Bond has a bad one) of doing things differently, like even if he's tackled/touched down he still will run the ball to the endzone. He approaches every rep as hard as possible. All I heard from other people talking is Bond just doesn't have that same kind of elite mental trait, so to speak. 

I'm just assuming that Bond may have come in expecting to get the job, and didn't put in the absolute work like Bolden does. He also has some baffling drops, which concerns me. Nothing against the kid, I just don't think he will lead the team in receptions, especially if he doesn't get a grip on those drops. 

Cook has put in a ton of work, has a season of understanding the system. Same with DeAndre Moore. I don't look at Bond as a savior and believe we have as good or not better options. They're all in the same position of being new. Plus seeing how Wingo is coming on, I just don't know, man. 

Cook, Moore, Wingo, and Bolden all approach this like they're professional athletes. All of those 4 are the first to show up 20+ minutes early, and are the last to leave. I want Bond to do the same, bur he may just be a different cat. 

My apologies for the long-winded answer. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Bert Auburn turning into an asset for this team is something I never expected to see when two years ago there were reports of field goals being shanked left and right during camp.

The value Jeff Banks brings to so many different aspects of the program is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Expand a bit on special teams. Why do you think it will so great next year? ST has to be a tough group to gauge top 10 or even 50 in August.

Texas has elite returners, an elite coverage game, and a top notch kicker. They’ve been in the top 10 under Sarkisian by most groups that measure ST overall. Thinking too 3 and maybe number 1 isn’t some sort of stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 7:36 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Not great at comparing, but I would think College Trent Richardson would be an apt comparison.  From memory Richardson was a bit heavier 20lbs maybe ,  but about the same height and body type.  The video on Gibson is not great b/c he was playing at IMG and tough to know what the competition was but seems like a similar build to Trent Richardson from his Bama days 

I hope not, as Richardson was obvious clinically blind.

Edited by lilMAC25

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He can be as clinically blind in the pros as he wants but Trent Richardson in college was a dang good RB

image.png.a84bb6ca4a84da77b12788471c8f0369.png

If our OL is that good, then the RB will be as well. Here’s hoping.

6 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

My DLine guy on the team likes the new DTs. Thinks there are going to help. A lot. Swears the DLine will be better this year as a whole this year. I want to believe him but sometimes players have blind spots. He also thinks Broughton is breaking out this year. 

The most interesting thing he has said is it’s some players that really want to start Barron and Williams at safety. That’s where my transfer questions start. Says those two with JG at nickel would be the best lineup but doesn’t think the coaches will do it. 

I think most have thought that is where Barron's ultimate upside and NFL spot maybe. I do wonder if Barron is ready to accept that at this time. I remember some talk of getting him more time at CB for NFL purposes, when he decided to come back. Wondering if you have any insight on his willingness to spin down to Safety. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

I didn't forget them. We'll see if it holds up to the 50+ years of that cheapshot/take-him-out BS I saw from old SWC and Least12 foes.

50+ years is your criteria? I guess us old guys are not going to be around to see if the SEC lived up to the SWC and BIG XII antics.  My guess rules and technology probably won't allow the antics to match in the long term but in the short term SEC may surpass those two conferences.

Edited by DanTheHorn
CTJ pointed out my original English sucked!