2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You never know when you’re going to be needed, from my view. Needed for a sprint, a sprint relay, for WR depth, maybe as a running back or offensive defensive coordinator. It’s why I’ve always got a pair of cleats in the trunk of my car and in my suitcase. 

FIFY 

image.jpeg.50d05f69e4589eec1307d39d04c91689.jpeg

OTF Live stream pumping alot of Kool aid out.

QuInn throwing darts...real ones
Bond, golden, Bolden had good days
Arch had a great day
Ant hill was that'd man
Juan Davis TD catch on a 30yd wheel route etc.
D. Moore caught a TD
Wingo is a beast

Updates

Butler and.debose were held out of scrimmage
Mo. Blackwell had what seemed to be a shoulder stinger.
CS, A. Hill, and Trey Moore on the field is lethal speed. Called a nascar package
Makibuta had a pick
Arch and Wingo have a connection
Quinn and Golden have best chemistry in 2 min drill.
Ball security issues with the running backs

• Hook 'Em 9

OB scrimmage notes (always funny the differences between OTF and OB)

Spoiler

Texas held its first scrimmage on Saturday inside the stadium. Here are a few notes I gathered from the practice. 

--- One of the most interesting developments was Sydir Mitchell started at defensive tackle instead of Vernon Broughton. I was told Mitchell had a huge presence in the middle and took up a lot of space. Right now, I am unsure if Mitchell has solidified himself as a starter. However, Mitchell is fighting to be in the two-deep. 

--- In addition, Alex January received first-team reps during the scrimmage on Saturday. One person said January has a bright future ahead at Texas. 

--- Texas defensive back Jahdae Barron delivered a hit on Jerrick Gibson when the offense was on the goal line. Gibson fumbled and the Longhorn defense recovered the ball. 

--- Overall, it was not a good day for the running backs. In addition to Gibson’s fumble, Christian Clark fumbled, too. After the practice, Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice made Gibson and Clark run 100-yard sprints and fall on a loose ball. Choice ran the sprints with each player. 

--- After Gibson and Clark fumbled, they were benched and Choice had Colin Page run with the second-string offense. I had multiple people tell me that Page turned heads and everyone was asking “Who the hell is No. 27?” I was told after Jaydon Blue, Page was actually the second-best running back on Saturday. 

--- Texas linebacker Liona Lefau had a spectacular day. I was told he tipped two pass attempts from Quinn Ewers. 

--- Ewers did not light up the scoreboard on Saturday. I was told De’Andre Moore dropped what would have been a 40-yard touchdown reception. 

--- I was told Arch Manning started strong and was “slinging the rock” during the scrimmage. Manning was turning heads because of his arm strength and accuracy. However, he eventually threw two interceptions. 

--- Texas offensive lineman DJ Campbell jumped offsides twice and Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian was ticked. 

--- Overall, I was told the defense played better than the offense on Saturday, which is often the case during the first scrimmage. 

--- One of the most impressive receivers during the scrimmage was Silas Bolden. I was told “he can go” and Bolden’s speed was impressive. 

--- Texas backup tight end Jordan Washington caught an impressive 15-yard pass from Trey Owens. Parker Livingstone caught a 13-yard pass from Trey Owens on a pump-and-go. Owens capped off that drive with a 2-yard touchdown run. 

--- Malik Agbo received reps as the third-string left tackle. Brandon Baker worked as the third-string right tackle and had one false start.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

I'm familiar with over 6,000 forms of communication, and this isn’t English.  

Maybe they’re keeping him dehydrated so he can’t get hurt in practice?

This was my favorite: “Texas offensive lineman DJ Campbell jumped offsides twice and Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian was ticked.” As opposed to “random guy on the sideline Steve Sarkisian”?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

20 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

OB caveat and all, but I love this. I think things like this cement trust between a player and their position coach.

My position coach used to do that to us. Beating all of us and yelling the whole time. “I’m an old man! Y’all supposed to be some young bucks. Fuck is wrong with you!”

Damn coach, you played in the NFL and I’m skinny white kid destined for grad school. Got the point across though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OB scrimmage notes (always funny the differences between OTF and OB)

Hide contents

--- Texas offensive lineman DJ Campbell jumped offsides twice and Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian was ticked. 

Wording like this make me think this was written by AI

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pretty sure that Sydir Mitchell note from OB is garbage now that more reports are coming out. OTF and 247 had Broughton and Collins with the 1’s. Gerry again mentioned Mitchell’s conditioning being an issue.

The second you read “Mitchell was with the one’s” you knew a chat bot wrote that shit. Ketch is probably too lazy to even write his own bull shit practice report. 

From CJ Vogel

A few notes I’ve been able to pick up on:

The defense was the better looking side of the ball based off of what I was able to pick up on.

There was some miscommunications with newcomers at the WR spots at times in the first practice. Several times Longhorn WRs lined up incorrectly or ran a route not to the standard of Sarkisian or Ewers. Little things that need to be cleaned up prior to week one. 

AJ Milwee was the play caller for the scrimmage today. 
Sounds like Derion Gullette really impressed at the RB spot. A source said Sarkisian was a positive about his reps with the ball in his hands. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:

OTF Live stream pumping alot of Kool aid out.

QuInn throwing darts...real ones
Bond, golden, Bolden had good days
Arch had a great day
Ant hill was that'd man
Juan Davis TD catch on a 30yd wheel route etc.
D. Moore caught a TD
Wingo is a beast

Updates

Butler and.debose were held out of scrimmage
Mo. Blackwell had what seemed to be a shoulder stinger.
CS, A. Hill, and Trey Moore on the field is lethal speed. Called a nascar package
Makibuta had a pick
Arch and Wingo have a connection
Quinn and Golden have best chemistry in 2 min drill.
Ball security issues with the running backs

Throwing real darts sounds dangerous and stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Apparently in one practice Jackson told Bond (paraphrasing) “Did you practice this sh*itty at Alabama or did you just decide to do this at Texas?” 

I guess  it was a pretty awkward moment on the field. 

I hate to see these conversations get out. I believe some things need to stay with the team. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 8/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, Machinator said:

The baseball catcher who is walking on at football should be getting snaps at RB before we consider switching players from the defensive two-deep

Gullette got reps so you are correct, 3rd stringer got a chance to get some carries 

3 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

I think our front 7 is gonna be nasty and immensely underrated.

But aggy says we aren’t ready for big boy SEC ball!???!!!!

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I was told Mitchell had a huge presence in the middle and took up a lot of space. Right now, I am unsure if Mitchell has solidified himself as a starter.

This is a real quote from OB?

• Haha 3

More notes from IT

Spoiler

After talking to a couple of sources who viewed this morning’s scrimmage we have a lot more detail to share after Justin’s immediate intel post. 

One thing seems clear, the defense carried the day, though the offense did have its moments. 

In this installment we’ll focus on the defense, just as one of IT’s sources did. I talked to this source the other day and he said “I think we know what to expect on offense, I’ll pay more attention to the defense, especially the defensive line.”

First, the structure is important. There were about 100 total snaps, perhaps a few more. At times it was ones vs twos, at others, during the red zone, it was ones vs ones. Sark emptied the bench and played everyone.

This guy’s first takeaway was, “I don’t think we need to worry about the defense.” 

(I can’t say who I got this information from but he has seen a lot of football up close throughout the decades.)

If you’re pressed for time a solid summary would be: The offense didn’t break a lot of runs. The safeties played well, all four of them. The linebackers know their fits matched to coverages behind them and the D-line is staying in their gap and trusting the players behind them will do their job. In other words, team defense appears improved. 

For more, keep following.

“I like the way they (defense) played.” They played mostly Cover 1. At times they’d have Michael Taaffe back and then he would move up and Mukuba would roll back to cover the middle. 

Defense held its own in the first half and the second half.

“Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton looked good. Trey Moore looked good, probably would have had a strip if it was reviewed. He’s a smart, aware play. Jahdae Barron looked good at corner. Andrew Mukuba picked Quinn Ewers.”

“AC and VB started with Barryn Sorrell and Ethan Burke. They got pressure on the QB, collapsed the pocket mostly from the interior. Colton Vasek had an offsides. One critique of the defense was they did have too many stupid penalties.”

“Gavin Holmes had 2-3 PBU’s and Jelani McDonald would have probably had an interception if there was review. He thought he picked it anyway.” 

“The D-end group is impressive, though I didn’t see a ton from Colin Simmons. I thought Sydir Mitchell looked in better shape than in the spring. Looks like he’s moving a lot better which you have said. I think he’s going to make some plays this year.”

“Only injury was what looked like a stinger to Morice Blackwell.” 

“Bill Norton and Jermayne Lole got some pressure on second team, they were getting a push inside.” 

“First team defense wasn’t the only one getting pressure, second team defense did too. But, I must say the second team O-line looks like the real deal.”

“They were stunting up front and bringing a linebacker behind them.” 

“Athleticism is oozing on the defense. I’ve seen teams like this before but not from a Texas team in a long while.” He would go on to mention the athleticism of some of the great Nebraska teams.

Negatives beyond the penalties included the offense getting the better of the defense in two-minute and end of half situations. But, they did hold the offense to field goals and the quarterbacks and receivers were playing well in that setting. 

Another negative was the punting. As excited as the source was for the defense he was that concerned about punting. He said he didn’t see a single good punt, but he did see a good punt return or two. DeAndre Moore was named there.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

More notes from IT

Reveal hidden contents

After talking to a couple of sources who viewed this morning’s scrimmage we have a lot more detail to share after Justin’s immediate intel post. 

One thing seems clear, the defense carried the day, though the offense did have its moments. 

In this installment we’ll focus on the defense, just as one of IT’s sources did. I talked to this source the other day and he said “I think we know what to expect on offense, I’ll pay more attention to the defense, especially the defensive line.”

First, the structure is important. There were about 100 total snaps, perhaps a few more. At times it was ones vs twos, at others, during the red zone, it was ones vs ones. Sark emptied the bench and played everyone.

This guy’s first takeaway was, “I don’t think we need to worry about the defense.” 

(I can’t say who I got this information from but he has seen a lot of football up close throughout the decades.)

If you’re pressed for time a solid summary would be: The offense didn’t break a lot of runs. The safeties played well, all four of them. The linebackers know their fits matched to coverages behind them and the D-line is staying in their gap and trusting the players behind them will do their job. In other words, team defense appears improved. 

For more, keep following.

“I like the way they (defense) played.” They played mostly Cover 1. At times they’d have Michael Taaffe back and then he would move up and Mukuba would roll back to cover the middle. 

Defense held its own in the first half and the second half.

“Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton looked good. Trey Moore looked good, probably would have had a strip if it was reviewed. He’s a smart, aware play. Jahdae Barron looked good at corner. Andrew Mukuba picked Quinn Ewers.”

“AC and VB started with Barryn Sorrell and Ethan Burke. They got pressure on the QB, collapsed the pocket mostly from the interior. Colton Vasek had an offsides. One critique of the defense was they did have too many stupid penalties.”

“Gavin Holmes had 2-3 PBU’s and Jelani McDonald would have probably had an interception if there was review. He thought he picked it anyway.” 

“The D-end group is impressive, though I didn’t see a ton from Colin Simmons. I thought Sydir Mitchell looked in better shape than in the spring. Looks like he’s moving a lot better which you have said. I think he’s going to make some plays this year.”

“Only injury was what looked like a stinger to Morice Blackwell.” 

“Bill Norton and Jermayne Lole got some pressure on second team, they were getting a push inside.” 

“First team defense wasn’t the only one getting pressure, second team defense did too. But, I must say the second team O-line looks like the real deal.”

“They were stunting up front and bringing a linebacker behind them.” 

“Athleticism is oozing on the defense. I’ve seen teams like this before but not from a Texas team in a long while.” He would go on to mention the athleticism of some of the great Nebraska teams.

Negatives beyond the penalties included the offense getting the better of the defense in two-minute and end of half situations. But, they did hold the offense to field goals and the quarterbacks and receivers were playing well in that setting. 

Another negative was the punting. As excited as the source was for the defense he was that concerned about punting. He said he didn’t see a single good punt, but he did see a good punt return or two. DeAndre Moore was named there.

What I gather from that is the interior O-line is still meh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Is this a really good sign for our defense or is Sark getting predictable ? 

Sark wasn’t even the playcaller today according to OTF. Milwee was calling the offense. So a fire Milwee thread after the first scrimmage is probably warranted.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1