2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

247 scrimmage notes

Spoiler

AUSTIN, Texas — It was a strong showing by the Texas defense in the Longhorns' first scrimmage of fall camp on Saturday.

The scrimmage was closed to the public and media, but Horns247 tracked down the scoop on the two-hour-long session Saturday morning, which included the first-team offense against the second-team defense and the second-team offense against the first-team defense.

"The first half of the scrimmage, they were live and tackling, and the defensive line had a really good day, got pressure and made it hard to run," a source said.

Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton were the first-team defensive tackles, and sophomore Aaron Bryant and freshman Alex January were the second-team DTs to start the scrimmage. Arizona transfer D-linemen Bill Norton and Tia Savea "seemed to rotate in together," according to a source.

Louisville sixth-year senior transfer Jermayne Lole got praise for holding the point of attack.

"You can tell Lole has played a lot of football and knows where to fit against the run," a source said.

Sources said Collins got good pressure up the middle.

During the second half of the scrimmage, the team stopped tackling and went to "thud," when players wrap up but don't tackle to the ground.

Justice Finkley had a sack, and UTSA transfer Trey Moore had a couple pressures against the second-team offense.

Clemson transfer safety Andrew Mukuba intercepted Quinn Ewers in the red zone.

"Mukuba knew exactly where to be and made the play," a source said. "You can tell that guy's played a lot of football."

Sophomore safety Jelani McDonald had an interception against Arch Manning.

"The safety position was on point," a source said. "They look a lot more connected - no matter who is on the field."

Jahdae Barron, playing cornerback, made perhaps the play of the day, by making a tackle, one-on-one in space in the red zone and forcing a fumble by a walk-on running back, who caught the ball in the flat.

At linebacker, the standout was Liona Lefau, who made a play in coverage, breaking up a pass, and also did a nice job filling against the run, sources said.

There were plays made by the offense, including a touchdown by senior tight end Juan Davis on a seam route. Senior tight end Gunnar Helm also caught a deep crossing route.

There were some drops by receivers, but notable catches during the scrimmage were made by Isaiah Bond, Johntay Cook, Silas Bolden and Ryan Wingo.

"Wingo made an incredible sideline catch," a source said.

At running back, both Jaydon Blue and Tre Wisner "squeezed out a couple nice runs and made a couple catches in the passing game," a source said. "Tre [Wisner] had a nice catch and run on a screen. But there wasn't a lot of success in the run game. The D-line did a good job of clogging up lanes."

Linebacker Derion Gullette got reps on both sides of the ball - also getting some reps at running back.

• Hook 'Em 8

12 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

The disconnect between Orangebloods and all the other Texas sites regarding Sydir Mitchell is just weird. 

Anwar or whomever probably got canary trapped with the most obvious bit of false information imaginable 

• Hook 'Em 1

Anwar or whomever probably got canary trapped with the most obvious bit of false information imaginable 

I’m still not convinced it’s real. Like if I read “Max Merrill may have cemented a starting spot at left tackle.”

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Athleticism is oozing on the defense. I’ve seen teams like this before but not from a Texas team in a long while.” He would go on to mention the athleticism of some of the great Nebraska teams.

So, Nahlin’s “source” is a hundred years old.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

One thing I'm curious about, then I will treat you to some IT notes. The scrimmage was roughly 100 plays... and evidently every QB threw at least one INT, and Gibson and Clark fumbled three times combined. That seems like a shitload of turnovers, if accurate. 

IT:

Spoiler

This morning we’ll focus on notes IT has received on the offensive side of the ball from Texas’ first scrimmage of fall camp. A source reiterated that he felt the offense would make a big jump from the first scrimmage to the second. That’s often the case — per the usual, the defense is clearly ahead of the offense at this point. 

Defense won the day but there were still plenty of flashes from the offense. 

A source mentioned Quinn Ewers got off to a bit of a slow start even against the second team defense. One early series was even re-started per the source. Arch Manning didn’t exactly come in and light it up either. This was in the first half.

During two-minute and end-of-half scenarios, the quarterbacks got in a much better rhythm and started moving the ball. Some of this may had to do with the defense playing more zone coverage rather than man. 

Said a source, “QB’s did well in two-minute before the half. Ewers was taking advantage of zone coverage and taking what the defense gave him. A lot of dig routes. He was good at taking what was available. He showed good maturity and recognition of what was available to him.” 

“Ewers stepped up in the pocket and took off a few times.”

“Manning had some strikes, threw a strike by splitting a corner and safety (I think Wingo). Wingo’s going to be a player this year.” Another source claimed Manning and Wingo connected at least five times. 

Ewers and Trey Owens threw picks. On Owens, “He’s a gamer. He plays his best when it’s live.” That was also a reference to the spring game. 

“(Isaiah) Bond didn’t have any drops that I saw.” Only one true drop on the day per this source.

“Matthew Golden is a more athletic Whittington. He was consistent.”

Before two-minute the first team O went against the first team D from the 25-yard line and in. Sark showed varied formations, including empty. Gunnar Helm was always split out. Christian Clark got reps but had some struggles with a tackle on the 1-yard line by Jahdae Barron and fumble. Sark is known for his condensed formations but goal line might not be the time for that. I liked hearing about ’empty’.

Tangential to Clark, “No. 6 (Clark) put the ball on the carpet a couple times but he’s not afraid to run between the tackles. Tre Wisner got a lot of snaps and kept the ball away from the freshmen.” Another source mentioned Wisner in pass protection. “Tre did good in pass pro, I didn’t see who it was but he put an Edge on his ass.” 

“Both offenses looked better in the second half. QE more relaxed in the second half. First half was mostly short passing. They opened up offense in the second half and offense played better.” The source said they worked on stretching the field more and that loosened the defense up.

The O-line had its moments. We heard their work on gap schemes is improving. “Cam Williams and DJ Campbell look so good. They’ve both slimmed down. Cam looks quicker. I didn’t see him give up any pressure. I think most of the pressure came from up the middle. The D-line was stunting and they were bringing a backer.” 

“The pace of offense was pretty quick. Signaling is still going to occur. Even when Ewers was off the field with his helmet off he was listening to the call coming in.” 

“Auburn picked up right where he left off.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Sydir Mitchell, and I swear I find this hard to believe and assume it is being passed around for humor and not an actual truth, struggles to get through team warm-ups and then group warm-up follows before they start actually running drills or plays. It’s like pulling some of you off the couch in your pajamas and forcing you into hard calisthenics in 95 degree weather while wearing a helmet. Same outcome. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sydir Mitchell, and I swear I find this hard to believe and assume it is being passed around for humor and not an actual truth, struggles to get through team warm-ups and then group warm-up follows before they start actually running drills or plays. It’s like pulling some of you off the couch in your pajamas and forcing you into hard calisthenics in 95 degree weather while wearing a helmet. Same outcome. 

In the scrimmage report video yesterday Gerry said they still can't rely on him to be able run on and off the field. 

So maybe he played well like OB reported but it doesn't mean much when you cause a penalty because you can't get off the field in time

Edited by Viper

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How is this even possible? How do his teammates not just run him off the team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, immamac said:

44 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This question answers itself 

so much depends

upon

a burnt orange

wheelbarrow

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s pretty hard to believe that he could be in that shape if he’s going through all the things on a daily basis and just not doing his diet right. 

If he’s skipping practice/training tables/etc. then I could see it. Pretty crazy, if not a joke. 

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

It’s pretty hard to believe that he could be in that shape if he’s going through all the things on a daily basis and just not doing his diet right. 

If he’s skipping practice/training tables/etc. then I could see it. Pretty crazy, if not a joke. 

I thinks it’s pretty obvious at this point he will be in the portal in January. The only reason he wasn’t kicked to the curb already was we desperately need people at the position for the future. He’s a bust. It happens. 

• Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, futureman said:

the siva tau is not the haka.  the haka is maori.  just accept it and move on and refrain from posting youtube clips.

https://www.livingheritage.org.nz/Schools-Stories/History-of-the-Manu-Samoa/The-Siva-Tau#:~:text=The Siva Tau is the,Manu Siva Tau was written.

"The Siva Tau is the haka or traditional war dance done before battle in ancient times."

46 minutes ago, futureman said:

the siva tau is not the haka.  the haka is maori.  just accept it and move on and refrain from posting youtube clips.

Maui did the Haka in Moana, your argument is invalid.

• Haha 6