2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

18 hours ago, Viper said:

In the scrimmage report video yesterday Gerry said they still can't rely on him to be able run on and off the field. 

So maybe he played well like OB reported but it doesn't mean much when you cause a penalty because you can't get off the field in time

I thought it was pretty funny that right after Gerry said that Sydir couldn't get on and off the field in time, you could hear BB mutter "Good heavens" in obvious disgust. 

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sydir Mitchell, and I swear I find this hard to believe and assume it is being passed around for humor and not an actual truth, struggles to get through team warm-ups and then group warm-up follows before they start actually running drills or plays. It’s like pulling some of you off the couch in your pajamas and forcing you into hard calisthenics in 95 degree weather while wearing a helmet. Same outcome. 

image.gif.0f1027da9845f24e0b9b21e8cf65fc8f.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

AP poll over that way -->

Meanwhile - I didn't really notice Mitchell not being able to run on or off. I know this is Surly, but I assume anyway that the problem is at least slightly real. Somebody plese post  a clip of him struggling to run on or off?

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

AP poll over that way -->

Meanwhile - I didn't really notice Mitchell not being able to run on or off. I know this is Surly, but I assume anyway that the problem is at least slightly real. Somebody plese post  a clip of him struggling to run on or off?

What Texas reporter is going to post that kind of clip while he's still on the team?

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

What Texas reporter is going to post that kind of clip while he's still on the team?

Dunno. Maybe Kurt? He still reads Surly, right?

I don't care if it's a reporter or not. I wouldn't expect a reporter to do so, good or bad. There are plenty of folks here who post clips all the time, so maybe one of them?

58 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Meanwhile - I didn't really notice Mitchell not being able to run off…..Somebody plese post  a clip of him struggling to run on or off?

Here you go.

IMG_6346.gif

Edited by Daichee Bell
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Okay, apparently I'm having a Bad Day.

I should have specified that I would like to see Mitchell struggling to run on or off at any time previous to Fall Camp. I was thinking maybe the spring game or any of last season's fourteen games - assuming he played at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

Many a promising offseason read on a position group has been rendered moot by the zero-sum nature of fall camp. I contend that for the most part those days are behind us in large part thanks to the complete roster overhaul, player development, and coaching. 

We simply don’t need to speculate as much about this team as we once did.

When we hear the secondary is playing much better it’s easy to believe because we know the wide receiver group, quarterback, and overall passing game are at least above average. Those aspects of offense are likely well above average which further increases confidence in the secondary.

Likewise, when we hear a wide receiver who stood out you can bet he was forced to work hard for his plays. Personally, I like reading about a different wide receiver after every practice. If it was the same player in every report that would point to a clear weak spot in the secondary. 

The recent scrimmage reports were somewhat illuminating, especially the part about the pressure on the quarterback coming from up the gut. We know, at minimum, the interior O-line is average, so when Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton are making plays we can rest easy that defensive tackle won’t be the sore spot many have predicted.

Sometimes things are a little convoluted due to the ones repping against the twos, but then we still heard the O-line had its moments as did the second team interior defensive line of Bill Norton and Jermayne Lole. Those are not hard to project even if they’re new to Texas.

Similarly, with the addition of Trey Moore, we know Edge play is better than it has been in a very long time. We also know it’s a very deep position. Hearing pressure is often coming up the middle, thanks in part to a linebacker blitzing, allows us to deduce the offensive tackles are holding up against quality players. This is most important for projecting Cameron Williams‘ first year as starter. The massive right tackle has previously had concerns about how well he handles quickness but he fared decently well in the spring and is now reportedly faring even better after a couple of months of conditioning. 

My confidence in what zero-sum is telling me extends to the entire defensive unit. My main concern entering this season was the defense playing as one. I wasn’t concerned about individual players or even units but I did wonder if they would play as one well-coordinated unit. Again, at minimum, the offense is good, so if the defense is getting the better of the offense as it has repeatedly done throughout the first two weeks of practice, we can have confidence the defense is better than it was a year ago.

What we’ve specifically heard is the D-line has confidence in the linebackers and support safety being where they’re supposed to be. The D-linemen are not trying to do too much and taking themselves out of position. With the D-line minding the proper gaps, the linebackers have had predictable run lanes to defend. The safeties are in run support much more than a year ago so their rapport with the linebackers and Edges is very important. Michael Taaffe and Andrew Mukuba‘s experience is certainly helping them play downhill but it was also encouraging to hear all four safeties had a good scrimmage. Taaffe’s a good tackler and Mukuba is solid but Derek Williams and Jelani McDonald carry more lumber downhill in a support role. 

Zero-sum is often hard to navigate because the actors aren’t always known qualities but given last season’s 12-2 season and so much returning talent and experience I think it’s a lot easier to get a good read on this team. Some good, if not predictable coaching tweaks, have also helped.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, TotallyLegit said:

I'm curious if this is a schematic change or if the safeties just happen to be playing differently.

Probably a combo.  But I doubt it's a coincidence that Sark "recommended" so many of them, including 2023 starters, hit the portal in January.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Many a promising offseason read on a position group has been rendered moot by the zero-sum nature of fall camp. I contend that for the most part those days are behind us in large part thanks to the complete roster overhaul, player development, and coaching. 

We simply don’t need to speculate as much about this team as we once did.

When we hear the secondary is playing much better it’s easy to believe because we know the wide receiver group, quarterback, and overall passing game are at least above average. Those aspects of offense are likely well above average which further increases confidence in the secondary.

Likewise, when we hear a wide receiver who stood out you can bet he was forced to work hard for his plays. Personally, I like reading about a different wide receiver after every practice. If it was the same player in every report that would point to a clear weak spot in the secondary. 

The recent scrimmage reports were somewhat illuminating, especially the part about the pressure on the quarterback coming from up the gut. We know, at minimum, the interior O-line is average, so when Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton are making plays we can rest easy that defensive tackle won’t be the sore spot many have predicted.

Sometimes things are a little convoluted due to the ones repping against the twos, but then we still heard the O-line had its moments as did the second team interior defensive line of Bill Norton and Jermayne Lole. Those are not hard to project even if they’re new to Texas.

Similarly, with the addition of Trey Moore, we know Edge play is better than it has been in a very long time. We also know it’s a very deep position. Hearing pressure is often coming up the middle, thanks in part to a linebacker blitzing, allows us to deduce the offensive tackles are holding up against quality players. This is most important for projecting Cameron Williams‘ first year as starter. The massive right tackle has previously had concerns about how well he handles quickness but he fared decently well in the spring and is now reportedly faring even better after a couple of months of conditioning. 

My confidence in what zero-sum is telling me extends to the entire defensive unit. My main concern entering this season was the defense playing as one. I wasn’t concerned about individual players or even units but I did wonder if they would play as one well-coordinated unit. Again, at minimum, the offense is good, so if the defense is getting the better of the offense as it has repeatedly done throughout the first two weeks of practice, we can have confidence the defense is better than it was a year ago.

What we’ve specifically heard is the D-line has confidence in the linebackers and support safety being where they’re supposed to be. The D-linemen are not trying to do too much and taking themselves out of position. With the D-line minding the proper gaps, the linebackers have had predictable run lanes to defend. The safeties are in run support much more than a year ago so their rapport with the linebackers and Edges is very important. Michael Taaffe and Andrew Mukuba‘s experience is certainly helping them play downhill but it was also encouraging to hear all four safeties had a good scrimmage. Taaffe’s a good tackler and Mukuba is solid but Derek Williams and Jelani McDonald carry more lumber downhill in a support role. 

Zero-sum is often hard to navigate because the actors aren’t always known qualities but given last season’s 12-2 season and so much returning talent and experience I think it’s a lot easier to get a good read on this team. Some good, if not predictable coaching tweaks, have also helped.

This is peak, 9.95 hot garbage. Overly wordy mixed with nothing of substance yet somehow marinating in Koolaid. One day (hopefully) AI can replace this kind of content. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2