2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cook has the drops and its bad

Bond is a total and complete dumb dumb

Ewers loves Moore, Golden and Bolden- but the problem is they all really play the same position

The Cook part was very surprising to me. 

Cook having the drops is surprising, but won't be surprised if he breaks out of that rut.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

Juan Davis is absolutely this year's David Aaron/Courtnee Garcia type who is all set to have all kinds of stats springing to life with his fucking breakout year. It's super exciting and believable to see this!

He will have his Jon Harris Gaskamp monster year and you will be shamed, sir.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Sark is probably relieved he just can have us drop back every play.

Air it out

”Now, listen to this, now. Uh, Arnie, go down, uh, ten steps and cut left behind the black Chevy. Filbert, you run down to my house and wait in the living room.  Cosby, you go down to 3rd Street, catch the J bus. Have him open the doors at 19th Street. I’ll fake it to you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

People who never played WR will see a guy have a bad practice or two catching the ball and assume that that player is a problem. If the player has always dropped passes, sure. If not, it's nothing and ignorable. Nothing crystallizes your position like an enemy on the horizon. Getting into game mode will cut and clarify for someone like Cook. 

Agreed, a couple of bad practices don't always translate to gameday. Some of the other reports are interesting on the receivers. I think we could see some groupings we really didn't think we would see sooner than later, which is the huge benefit of great depth. Maybe we get something like Wingo, Boldin, and Golden sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Ja'Marr Chase couldn't catch the ball in Bengals practices his rookie season

Sometimes players just get into their own heads. Couple drops leads to a shitshow of a week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Here is what I'm hearing (and this is not from @Scipio who yall know I advertise with- I wouldn't burn him for obvious reasons). Was told I could post it as long as it's unsourced...

Cook has the drops and its bad

Bond is a total and complete dumb dumb

Ewers loves Moore, Golden and Bolden- but the problem is they all really play the same position

Wingo is our best receiver and it's not particularly close- but he needs to learn how to play all the positions so he can fit in where the other guys aren't- he can be a difference maker anywhere. 

Niblack is an absolute freak and impossible to guard

The Baxter injury is going to be a real problem for this team (and that was before Christian Clark went down). 

That's it- that's what I got. 

The Cook part was very surprising to me.  I know they like Gunner Helm so maybe we are going to see a lot more 2 TE's, 1 RB and 2 WR action than we originally thought. My guess on that would be Wingo and Golden/Bolden as the WR's we end up going to in that package.  Maybe some more empty as well with the plague of RB's lost for the season. 

Well fuck Tuesday 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

People who never played WR will see a guy have a bad practice or two catching the ball and assume that that player is a problem. If the player has always dropped passes, sure. If not, it's nothing and ignorable. Nothing crystallizes your position like an enemy on the horizon. Getting into game mode will cut and clarify for someone like Cook. 

To be fair, Cook always fought the ball a bit in HS. But his hands are good enough if he’s still winning his routes like he was back then. 

35 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Well fuck Tuesday 

That's not all bad.  More Wingo going to be a super star.  More- TE position is going to be a real position of strength.  Quinn is really comfortable with 4 receivers.  That's not on balance a bad update. 
The guy who gave it to me shades very pessimistic too, so there's that. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Practicing on grass at Denius and then also practicing/playing on turf at DKR has always seemed like the stupidest thing ever. Pick a lane.

Also, fuck turf. We should have never gotten rid of grass in 2008. Just fire the shitty groundskeeper and find someone better, it’s not that hard.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"The Longhorns were No. 5, one spot back of where they were ranked in May. They trailed Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon, and Alabama in that order."

Damn Sark sucks... 3 months with no games and Texas drops a spot in the rankings??

/s 😂

54 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Niblack is much more explosive than JT, but if he’s even close in reliability as a receiver, then he’s a legit Mackey award threat. 
Both were/will be blocking nonfactors. 

JT wasnt good in line but put in work against DBs blocking for short passes 

59 minutes ago, Fud said:

These beta nerds never finished a dungeon in D&D

Yes dorks, having two receivers north of 600 yards heading into their contract years is far more concerning than one guy with 1,000 yards. Blue will be a 1,000 yard back if he is featured in the offense.  

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Blue will be a 1,000 yard back if he is featured in the offense.  

In light of recent events, I'm pretty sure he's going to be featured. Hopefully heavily weighted towards the bigger games. i.e. 10 touches against Louisiana-Monroe, 22 against OU.

Baxter also only had 659 yards last year (138 carries).  I'm actually a little tired of the media saying we lost our "best" running back.  That is debatable, in my opinion, especially with the way Blue finished the year.  I had high hopes that Baxter would live up to his hype, but he didn't last year, and Blue looked damn good to me after Brooks went down.

Whatever, we will find out.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Baxter also only had 659 yards last year (138 carries).  I'm actually a little tired of the media saying we lost our "best" running back.  That is debatable, in my opinion, especially with the way Blue finished the year.  I had high hopes that Baxter would live up to his hype, but he didn't last year, and Blue looked damn good to me after Brooks went down.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Wisner when he's been out there.  Hopefully he can be a good complement to my boy Blue.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Scholz said:

I've been pleasantly surprised with Wisner when he's been out there.  Hopefully he can be a good complement to my boy Blue.

Wisner looked fast and shifty in garbage time vs Tech. Hope he stays healthy as he's going to be called on for 5-10 touches per game

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sucks to lose our #1 RB this year, but I was concerned about Baxter’s durability being the top guy. Last year he seemed to be injured or had something tweaked fairly often. 

I’d like to see what Blue can do after his performance last year. And I feel damn good about Tre Wisner stepping up if Blue needs to sit. Wisner has that RoJo type of fire in him and was pretty good against Tech even if it was in garbage time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Wisner looked fast and shifty in garbage time vs Tech. Hope he stays healthy as he's going to be called on for 5-10 touches per game

WE have 3 scholarship RB's. Hes getting more than 5-10 touches in a bunch of games. 

I can see us using a lot of screens and jet sweeps with Bolden .....gimmicky type runs early in games to open up lanes for our smaller backs to run vs less occupied boxes.  We'll have to run up the gut no doubt at times, but losing our big back (Baxter) and now depth (Clark) will force our hand a bit.  With speed to burn on O, we'll see a lot of designed runs in space and then let Blue take his shots using  tempo.  The 4th and 1 or less than 5 where we go for it will be something to see how Sark handles.  Baxter housed the one vs KSU, running through an arm tackle with a quick cut .  If Gibson (he has the size) can prove to be durable, that will help tremendously.  Loved Baxter, but IIRC he got hurt on his first carry.  Granted he came back vs Bama the following week. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The 4th and 1 or less than 5 where we go for it will be something to see how Sark handles.  

Can Anthony Hill carry the rock? Colin Simmons?  Have a goal line RB tryout.  Put Sorrell in there, Trey Moore...

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Can Anthony Hill carry the rock? Colin Simmons?  Have a goal line RB tryout.  Put Sorrell in there, Trey Moore...

I thought ctj always kept cleats in his car.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1