2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is Perry still alive? I saw him box Manute Bol 20 years ago and he could barely raise his arms he was so fat.

The former All-American football player struggled to keep his weight down once he was no longer actively suiting up on game day. Reports claim his weight reached a dangerous 450 pounds. He was soon diagnosed with diabetes and was found to have blood circulatory issues in his legs.

He was then diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome in 2008, a condition in which one's immune system begins attacking its own nerves, sometimes resulting in paralysis.

The condition saw Perry lose a gargantuan amount of weight, all the way down to an unhealthy 190 pounds, scarcely resembling the man he once was.

In 2011, ESPN revealed that Perry was an alcoholic and that during his playing career the Bears had arranged for him to check into a rehab facility.

Now, Perry has lost most of his fortune that he made from playing in the NFL. Per Sports Illustrated, his Super Bowl ring was auctioned for $200,000 of which Perry received absolutely zilch.

His brother, Michael Dean Perry, the one who found a bed-ridden William weighing 190 pounds, has gone on record to say he believes his brother is also suffering from "traces of CTE."

Perry is currently residing in an assisted-living facilitywhere his health can more easily be monitored. Here's to hoping Perry can get the help he needs and restore at least some of his health.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I can see us using a lot of screens and jet sweeps with Bolden .....gimmicky type runs early in games to open up lanes for our smaller backs to run vs less occupied boxes.  We'll have to run up the gut no doubt at times, but losing our big back (Baxter) and now depth (Clark) will force our hand a bit.  With speed to burn on O, we'll see a lot of designed runs in space and then let Blue take his shots using  tempo.  The 4th and 1 or less than 5 where we go for it will be something to see how Sark handles.  Baxter housed the one vs KSU, running through an arm tackle with a quick cut .  If Gibson (he has the size) can prove to be durable, that will help tremendously.  Loved Baxter, but IIRC he got hurt on his first carry.  Granted he came back vs Bama the following week. 

Last year Texas was a pass first team. I don’t see this year being any different. Felt like last year Texas always opened with a pass. We are going to see the same thing this year. Lots of screens and short to intermediate passes early. 

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Last year Texas was a pass first team. I don’t see this year being any different. Felt like last year Texas always opened with a pass. We are going to see the same thing this year. Lots of screens and short to intermediate passes early. 

We’ll be fine. We had Bijan and RoJo in 2021 & 2022 and had more rushing yards in 2023 after they left. Sark knows how to design his offense around strengths and weaknesses. I know our 2024 RBs are a lot younger but our OL is also a lot better too. I would not be surprised if someone has a breakout 1000 yard season like JB last year after never cracking 200 yards in the previous two years. 

2021 - 2392 Rushing Yds

(Bijan 1127, RoJo 569, Keilan 322, JB 143)

2022 - 2446 Rushing Yds

(Bijan 1538, RoJo 554, JB 197, Keilan 86, Blue 33)

2023 - 2638 Rushing Yds

(JB 1139, Baxter 659, Blue 398, Red 131, Keilan 134, Wisner 73)

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

105 scholarships can’t get here soon enough. Especially with the expanded CFP. 

You'll still probably get the 5th string guys like Red hitting the road, unless they're Max Merrill types that just want a degree.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You'll still probably get the 5th string guys like Red hitting the road, unless they're Max Merrill types that just want a degree.

I think a Ky Woods type would have stayed and probably played this season. 

I think Red got enough touches to stay, but was constantly in and out of the doghouse. Best for both parties to part ways.

i think they extra 20 scholarships are going to be stash and develop linemen and high end former PWOs like Taafe and Woods. 

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like Gullette better at LB than Niblett at WR. But if they want a bigger back to replace Baxter, I get it. 

Did Niblett play QB in high school? I could have sworn he had to play other positions because Ike’s program has fallen off the face of the planet. 

He didn’t play QB, per se. But they lined him up everywhere to force feed him the ball. QB, RB, WR, PR, KR. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hopefully Gullette is like Karlos Williams who FSU moved to RB from safety and he was big and fast and scored tuddies

Williams entered his junior season in 2013 as a safety, but was moved to running back after the first game.[4][5] His first career carry was a 65-yard touchdown run against the Nevada Wolf Pack.[6] During the 2014 BCS National Championship Game against Auburn he rushed for 25 yards on five carries, including a seven-yard fake punt conversion on fourth-and-four.[7] He finished the year with 730 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns on 91 carries.

Edited by cmontexas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

We’ll be fine. We had Bijan and RoJo in 2021 & 2022 and had more rushing yards in 2023 after they left. Sark knows how to design his offense around strengths and weaknesses. I know our 2024 RBs are a lot younger but our OL is also a lot better too. I would not be surprised if someone has a breakout 1000 yard season like JB last year after never cracking 200 yards in the previous two years. 

2021 - 2392 Rushing Yds

(Bijan 1127, RoJo 569, Keilan 322, JB 143)

2022 - 2446 Rushing Yds

(Bijan 1538, RoJo 554, JB 197, Keilan 86, Blue 33)

2023 - 2638 Rushing Yds

(JB 1139, Baxter 659, Blue 398, Red 131, Keilan 134, Wisner 73)

Texas was fine last year, so not sure what you are trying to say here. Just pointing out Texas was a pass first team last year and I don’t see that changing this year 

Baxter does things like help out in pass protection that the others have not proven. He's also a good runner in between the tackles in as far as we want to wear down defenses. Huge loss 
I could be wrong, but didn't Baxter get banged up first game last season? If so we haven't seen even a full game with a healthy Baxter, and won't until next year.

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas was fine last year, so not sure what you are trying to say here. Just pointing out Texas was a pass first team last year and I don’t see that changing this year 

I’m just saying that despite losing Bijan and RoJo and going pass first last year, we still managed to increase the number of total running yards for our team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I’m just saying that despite losing Bijan and RoJo and going pass first last year, we still managed to increase the number of total running yards for our team. 

Sark likes to open up throwing the ball and finishing games with the run. He throws to open the run. Everything increased last year, as Quinn and the OL made big strides from 2022.  If the OL and Quinn takes another step, the offensive production will increase in 2024 

Sucks to lose our #1 RB this year, but I was concerned about Baxter’s durability being the top guy. Last year he seemed to be injured or had something tweaked fairly often. 
I’d like to see what Blue can do after his performance last year. And I feel damn good about Tre Wisner stepping up if Blue needs to sit. Wisner has that RoJo type of fire in him and was pretty good against Tech even if it was in garbage time. 

100%. It’s a deep room. Hate he’s gone for a minute and hope he comes back strong next season. I’m sure arch is in the same boat with him returning and helping him out.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

lol yea this is dumb.

Is it? It has been said by people who would know that he is the most talented since Roy Williams. If that is anywhere close to true, he is the most talented receiver on the team. I didn't say he was the best, I said most talented. There is a difference.

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Is it? It has been said by people who would know that he is the most talented since Roy Williams. If that is anywhere close to true, he is the most talented receiver on the team. I didn't say he was the best, I said most talented. There is a difference.

Dude is agreeing with you that moving Wingo to RB is dumb. 

• Like 1

Who is the Ramonce Taylor of this WR corp?  He lined up as a back and played both very well before the backpack incident.  That would be our answer.  Not saying RT ran between tackles much, but if we have a guy like that in the WR depths, we should be fine with Blue, Gibson, TW and then spreading some carries to an athlete or two.