2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

“The SEC is undefeated against first year conference members who lost more than one running back to injury during practice leading up to the start of the season. Thinkin’ about that SEC grind scares ya to death.” - FUPM

Thank goodness Sark is running things to handle shit like this without getting shook. 

13 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

What I hate the most about these RB injuries is that it will only further encourage Sark to be pass first. 

We lost the Washington game because he wouldn’t stick with the run. We need to be a run-first offense.

And maybe y’all all have the confidence in Ewers to run a pass-first offense. I don’t. Too much inconsistency, too many poor decisions, and stretches of looking like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. 

I think this is a bit over-stated. 18 carries for RB that averaged 6.8 yards is definitely a little light, but some of that was dictated by the circumstances. Those 2 fumbles by the RBs turned a 21-21 game into a 34-21 game 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What the F are you blathering about?

We lost to Washington because our DBs, specifically the safeties, were lost in coverage and took bad angles when trying to make tackles.  

Hence the exodus, and transfer portal replacement, of those players in the off season.

Sark's offense was not the problem.

Seriously.  When you lose 37-31 and give up over 500 yards, it wasn't the offense's fault.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This might be the dumbest recap of a game I've ever seen on here, which is really quite the fete on the Football Board.  Sark didn't choose to go away from the run.  He was forced to because our RBs, you know the guys you say should have the ball more, fumbled twice in the second half. Sark was dead even on run and pass in the first half, and he even kept it equal after Baxter fumbled in the third quarter and we started to get behind. By the end of the third quarter, Sark ran it 21 times and passed 21 times, despite being behind almost the entire third quarter. 

It wasn't until Blue fumbled in the 4th quarter and we were down 13 with 12 minutes to go that Sark was forced to throw a ton. He ended up throwing 23 times and only running 7 in the 4th quarter because we were down double digits and running out of time.  If our RBs don't fumble twice in the second half, Sark is never forced to pass almost exclusively and we stay balanced the whole game and probably win, but none of that was Sark choosing to go away from the run. 

I had different numbers. Just curious, are you counting scrambles and sacks in you rushing attempts? (I forgot how much damage Ewers did with his legs in that game)

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

What the F are you blathering about?

We lost to Washington because our DBs, specifically the safeties, were lost in coverage and took bad angles when trying to make tackles.  

Hence the exodus, and transfer portal replacement, of those players in the off season.

Sark's offense was not the problem.

Yep and the two fumbles. Those were killers. 

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MrBig said:

Look how ripped he is, it looks like AI. And he’s our 3rd string RB. We may be down but Sark has fostered a culture where the next man up is just as good as the previous guy. The future is bright here.

Hard to tell from that picture.  Any better forearm angles?   Really need them to be NFL caliber. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This might be the dumbest recap of a game I've ever seen on here, which is really quite the fete on the Football Board.  Sark didn't choose to go away from the run.  He was forced to because our RBs, you know the guys you say should have the ball more, fumbled twice in the second half. Sark was dead even on run and pass in the first half, and he even kept it equal after Baxter fumbled in the third quarter and we started to get behind. By the end of the third quarter, Sark ran it 21 times and passed 21 times, despite being behind almost the entire third quarter. 

It wasn't until Blue fumbled in the 4th quarter and we were down 13 with 12 minutes to go that Sark was forced to throw a ton. He ended up throwing 23 times and only running 7 in the 4th quarter because we were down double digits and running out of time.  If our RBs don't fumble twice in the second half, Sark is never forced to pass almost exclusively and we stay balanced the whole game and probably win, but none of that was Sark choosing to go away from the run. 

Awkward Kid GIF

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Fade route is a low % play. Should have gone with a quick slant or whip route to Worthy is healthy enough.

Texas was just sloppy. So many penalties. Think 6 first half penalties and 10 overall. Had multiple 3rd down conversions called back for penalties. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

VF3CHISPXURK23E32NJVMSZLBM.jpg?auth=0537

What a dumbass. Still, I remain pissed because there was NO indisputable video evidence showing him touch the ball. Just a debate about whether the ball might or might not have moved slightly when it was near his hand. Fucking bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas was just sloppy. So many penalties. Think 6 first half penalties and 10 overall. Had multiple 3rd down conversions called back for penalties. 

I'm a bit suprised this isn't mentioned more.  Contrast to the Bama game, we had 0 pre snap penalties and only 4 total, with 1 being an intentional delay of game.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

And UW scouted Ewers low arm angle and batted down a bunch of passes

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

And UW scouted Ewers low arm angle and batted down a bunch of passes

good scouting. They were really prepared. One thing that kept Texas in the game in the 1st half (outside the muffed punt) was Ewers legs. He had 42 yards on 4 scrambles in the 1st half alone (36 if you net out the sack). 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

*feat

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

good scouting. They were really prepared.  

Seems like there was a rumor that Patterson had offered advice to help stop Penix, but was rebuffed. The fact that Az State, Ore State, and Wazzu all held the Huskies well under what we did still rankles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Tex Long said:

Despite fumbleitis and shit coverage, we had the win for the taking at the end. PI was the nail, but there's that lingering Sark vs The Red Zone stuff.

Did Bama have any of that with OC Sark?

Red Zone wasnt really an issue. Even including the last series, which wasnt traditional redzone (15 seconds from the 12 is not easy), Texas was 4-6 in the redone vs Washington

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have no idea what to do with this post. There are no references to cheeses, cats, chicken fried steak, or surly poster’s heights and weights. 

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Fade route is a low % play. Should have gone with a quick slant or whip route to Worthy is healthy enough.

A back shoulder fade right there would've had us playing for the national championship after the 2nd most epic comeback in a high leverage moment in Longhorn history. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Seems like there was a rumor that Patterson had offered advice to help stop Penix, but was rebuffed. The fact that Az State, Ore State, and Wazzu all held the Huskies well under what we did still rankles. 

Having watched the majority of those games, his accuracy against us was turned up a notch. Still frustrating though

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have no idea what to do with this post. There are no references to cheeses, cats, chicken fried steak, or surly poster’s heights and weights. 

I woke up this morning with a hunger in my soul,
Craving something tasty, something that'll make me whole.
Cheese is melting nicely, and the cats are feeling fine,
Got that chicken fried steak, it’s gonna be divine!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

Red Zone wasnt really an issue. Even including the last series, which wasnt traditional redzone (15 seconds from the 12 is not easy), Texas was 4-6 in the redone vs Washington

Damn, a new goalpost: traditional redzone. 

So, taking tradition into account (does that smell like aggy?) we were actually 4-5 in redone or  redzone or Red Zone?

Never mind that, the fact is the last two trips to La Zona Roja we had 7 passes and no runs. Two passes were completed, for 6 and -1. At least Bert hit the FG, or there wouldn't even have been another trip. But, settling for a FG with a minute left and 8 points behind doesn't seem like anything other than reading a page out of the Binder of Conventional Wisdom.

Call it what you like, but I see it as Red Zone Issue.