2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Hey idk about y’all but can we maybe stop recapping one of the most emotionally painful Texas games in my lifetime in a thread about getting stoked for the upcoming season of ass kicking?

Sure, if reading about the RBs being lamed left and right is your idea of stoked.

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This might be the dumbest recap of a game I've ever seen on here, which is really quite the fete on the Football Board.  Sark didn't choose to go away from the run.  He was forced to because our RBs, you know the guys you say should have the ball more, fumbled twice in the second half. Sark was dead even on run and pass in the first half, and he even kept it equal after Baxter fumbled in the third quarter and we started to get behind. By the end of the third quarter, Sark ran it 21 times and passed 21 times, despite being behind almost the entire third quarter. 

It wasn't until Blue fumbled in the 4th quarter and we were down 13 with 12 minutes to go that Sark was forced to throw a ton. He ended up throwing 23 times and only running 7 in the 4th quarter because we were down double digits and running out of time.  If our RBs don't fumble twice in the second half, Sark is never forced to pass almost exclusively and we stay balanced the whole game and probably win, but none of that was Sark choosing to go away from the run. 

This is bit harsh. I took a quick look at this and our numbers are very different. I am guessing that is because you counted the scrambles and the sack as running plays, which is technically true, but misleading for looking at play calling. 

I had 1st Half at 22 called passes for 126 yards (including the scrambles) 5.72 per vs 13 for 80 (6.15).. Through 3Qd 24 passes plays for 131 yards (5.46 per) vs 16 for 109 (6.81 yards). 

I could have missed a play or 2, but I think it is fair to say Sark came out pass heavy vs Washington. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Hey idk about y’all but can we maybe stop recapping one of the most emotionally painful Texas games in my lifetime in a thread about getting stoked for the upcoming season of ass kicking?

You know the Jawja retards will repeat 10-9 all season just to get your dander up!

#FireFred

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Fajitas discussion it is, then!  Lulz.

From the Round-Up in Pharr (McAllen Kid,  they were the bomb) to the Hyatt.  The Fajita Journey: 

Spoiler

Fajitas started to make the leap from the cowboy campfire to commercial success in 1969. Otilia Garza was the owner of the "Round-Up Restaurant" in the city of Pharr, Texas. Pharr is a fairly sizable place on the Rio Grande River, founded in 1910 by Henry Newton Pharr, the former director of the State National Bank of New Iberia, Louisiana, and president of the Louisiana-Rio Grande Sugar Company and the Louisiana-Rio Grande Canal Company. At Garza's restaurant, strips of grilled skirt steak were served on a sizzling platter, with warm flour tortillas and mounds of condiments: pico de gallo (chopped fresh onions, tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro), guacamole, and grated cheese. This is becoming to sound very much like Fajitas!

Garza maintained that she had learned the tradition of grilling skirt steak from her grandmother, also a restaurateur in the much larger city of Reynosa, just across the river in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. Reynosa is a much older and much larger place. It was founded in 1749 and named Villa de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Reynosa, as a tribute to the town of Reinosa in northern Spain, which was the birthplace of the Viceroy of New Spain at the time.

fajita_stand.jpg
Sonny Falcon's fajita stand
Photo from The Austin Chronicle & and the Falcon Family.

But Garza was not the only one serving this dish. In that same year, a meat market manager from Austin named Sonny Falcon began running commercial fajita/taco stands at fairs and festivals in Texas. Sonny was married to Guadalupe Guajardo, the daughter of Eloy and Soledad Guajardo, Mexican immigrants who ran a market called "Guajardo's Cash Grocery" on 809 Lydia Street in east Austin, between East 7th and East 11th Streets. Their store was one of the few grocery stores catering to the Mexican community in Austin at the time. Sonny liked to experiment with recipes for using the tough skirt steak, with the goal of increasing its sales. He figured that he could attract more business to the family store if he could popularize this affordable cut of meat. All he had to do was to find a way for people to taste it. So, in 1969, Sonny set up his first concession stand at a festival in Kyle, Texas, a town south of Austin along Interstate 35 toward San Antonio. He started calling his skirt steak tacos "Fajitas". He began selling his fajita tacos to crowds of appreciative people at rodeos, fairs, and outdoor festivals throughout Texas.

He may not have invented the dish, but he did invent the name. The shape of the raw shirt steak reminded him of a belt; "Faja" means "belt" in Spanish, "fajita" means "little belt", and voilà, the name Fajita has just been created! Sonny became personally identified with the dish by the late 1970s, when an Austin reporter christened him "The Fajita King".

mama_ninfa.jpg
Mama Ninfa.

Meanwhile, in Houston in 1973, Ninfa Rodriguez Laurenzo opened a Tex-Mex restaurant called Ninfa's on 2704 Navigation Boulevard. The restaurant claims that "this is where it all started, where mama Ninfa first stuffed chargrilled sliced beef into a handmade flour tortilla, and launched the national fajita craze". 

ninfas.jpg
Ninfa's Restaurant.

She indeed built a good restaurant founded in a good bar business and simple, tasty foods of her Rio Grande Valley heritage. This included fajitas, which she called tacos al carbon and tacos a la Ninfa. The restaurant is still there today and Tacos Al Carbon are still on the menu!

While Tex-Mex restaurants like Ninfa's were popularizing fajitas in Houston during the 1970s, Sonny Falcon was cooking them for thousands of people at his concession stands at rodeos, outdoor fairs, and festivals all over Texas. The next big fajita breakthrough came, of all places, from Germany! In 1982, The Hyatt Regency Austin hotel opened on Barton Springs Road. The hotel restaurant had a chef de cuisine, a German by the name of George (Georg) Weidmann. He promptly recognized the commercial potential of the popular local Tex-Mex dish. He put "sizzling fajitas" on the menu of the Hyatt's La Vista restaurant, and soon sales of that dish made it the most profitable restaurant in the Hyatt chain. The "SWB Famous Fajitas" are still on the menu at the Southwest Bistro at the Hyatt today ($30 for two).

https://family.kolarsky.com/cookbook/fajitas.htm

27 minutes ago, ousux said:
45 minutes ago, DixonHur said:
uh-no-no.gif

Listen, I'm a white boy who grew up in DFW, not Centex, San Antonio or the valley. And I said "decent", which it is to most people.

if you grew up in DFW you wouldnt know good Tex Mex from Taco Bell....and  GTFO with that idea that Tex Mex is not Mexican food....

• Like 2

if you grew up in DFW you wouldnt know good Tex Mex from Taco Bell....and  GTFO with that idea that Tex Mex is not Mexican food....
We have good TexMex up here, just not as much as some other regions in Texas. I say it isn't Mexican food because you won't find any place in Mexico that specializes in classic TexMex which always includes rice, refried beans and a main such as Enchiladas, tacos (often crunchy which Mexico sort of does but differently) and the like. Maybe some places like that exist in Mexican border towns, but not likely.

Yes, technically TexMex is Mexican since the basics were worked out while Texas was still a Mexican state, but that's picking nits.
  • Like 1

Screenshot_20240814-183939_kindlephoto-7853407.png.928f92d3ff0c94f1d33f09eed99d3614.png

The Longhorns have a grand total of one player on the list – OT Kelvin Banks Jr. is a first-team All-American on the ESPN list. He’s the only Longhorn on the first team. There are zero Longhorns on the second team. 

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/14/does-espn-preseason-all-american-list-disrespect-the-texas-longhorns/

• Rage+1 3

30 minutes ago, ousux said:

We have good TexMex up here, just not as much as some other regions in Texas. I say it isn't Mexican food because you won't find any place in Mexico that specializes in classic TexMex which always includes rice, refried beans and a main such as Enchiladas, tacos (often crunchy which Mexico sort of does but differently) and the like. Maybe some places like that exist in Mexican border towns, but not likely.

Yes, technically TexMex is Mexican since the basics were worked out while Texas was still a Mexican state, but that's picking nits.

On my phone so I can't crop this correctly but:

Screenshot_20240814_195201_Instagram.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Please just shut the fuck up with this uninteresting, tired pedantry. Christ. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

From the Round-Up in Pharr (McAllen Kid,  they were the bomb) to the Hyatt.  The Fajita Journey: 

Hide contents

Fajitas started to make the leap from the cowboy campfire to commercial success in 1969. Otilia Garza was the owner of the "Round-Up Restaurant" in the city of Pharr, Texas. Pharr is a fairly sizable place on the Rio Grande River, founded in 1910 by Henry Newton Pharr, the former director of the State National Bank of New Iberia, Louisiana, and president of the Louisiana-Rio Grande Sugar Company and the Louisiana-Rio Grande Canal Company. At Garza's restaurant, strips of grilled skirt steak were served on a sizzling platter, with warm flour tortillas and mounds of condiments: pico de gallo (chopped fresh onions, tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro), guacamole, and grated cheese. This is becoming to sound very much like Fajitas!

Garza maintained that she had learned the tradition of grilling skirt steak from her grandmother, also a restaurateur in the much larger city of Reynosa, just across the river in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas. Reynosa is a much older and much larger place. It was founded in 1749 and named Villa de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Reynosa, as a tribute to the town of Reinosa in northern Spain, which was the birthplace of the Viceroy of New Spain at the time.

fajita_stand.jpg
Sonny Falcon's fajita stand
Photo from The Austin Chronicle & and the Falcon Family.

But Garza was not the only one serving this dish. In that same year, a meat market manager from Austin named Sonny Falcon began running commercial fajita/taco stands at fairs and festivals in Texas. Sonny was married to Guadalupe Guajardo, the daughter of Eloy and Soledad Guajardo, Mexican immigrants who ran a market called "Guajardo's Cash Grocery" on 809 Lydia Street in east Austin, between East 7th and East 11th Streets. Their store was one of the few grocery stores catering to the Mexican community in Austin at the time. Sonny liked to experiment with recipes for using the tough skirt steak, with the goal of increasing its sales. He figured that he could attract more business to the family store if he could popularize this affordable cut of meat. All he had to do was to find a way for people to taste it. So, in 1969, Sonny set up his first concession stand at a festival in Kyle, Texas, a town south of Austin along Interstate 35 toward San Antonio. He started calling his skirt steak tacos "Fajitas". He began selling his fajita tacos to crowds of appreciative people at rodeos, fairs, and outdoor festivals throughout Texas.

He may not have invented the dish, but he did invent the name. The shape of the raw shirt steak reminded him of a belt; "Faja" means "belt" in Spanish, "fajita" means "little belt", and voilà, the name Fajita has just been created! Sonny became personally identified with the dish by the late 1970s, when an Austin reporter christened him "The Fajita King".

mama_ninfa.jpg
Mama Ninfa.

Meanwhile, in Houston in 1973, Ninfa Rodriguez Laurenzo opened a Tex-Mex restaurant called Ninfa's on 2704 Navigation Boulevard. The restaurant claims that "this is where it all started, where mama Ninfa first stuffed chargrilled sliced beef into a handmade flour tortilla, and launched the national fajita craze". 

ninfas.jpg
Ninfa's Restaurant.

She indeed built a good restaurant founded in a good bar business and simple, tasty foods of her Rio Grande Valley heritage. This included fajitas, which she called tacos al carbon and tacos a la Ninfa. The restaurant is still there today and Tacos Al Carbon are still on the menu!

While Tex-Mex restaurants like Ninfa's were popularizing fajitas in Houston during the 1970s, Sonny Falcon was cooking them for thousands of people at his concession stands at rodeos, outdoor fairs, and festivals all over Texas. The next big fajita breakthrough came, of all places, from Germany! In 1982, The Hyatt Regency Austin hotel opened on Barton Springs Road. The hotel restaurant had a chef de cuisine, a German by the name of George (Georg) Weidmann. He promptly recognized the commercial potential of the popular local Tex-Mex dish. He put "sizzling fajitas" on the menu of the Hyatt's La Vista restaurant, and soon sales of that dish made it the most profitable restaurant in the Hyatt chain. The "SWB Famous Fajitas" are still on the menu at the Southwest Bistro at the Hyatt today ($30 for two).

https://family.kolarsky.com/cookbook/fajitas.htm

Can verify the Round Up. First job after BBA 1978 UT was in the valley for 2 years. Ate there many times and was the best fajita meal I've ever had. Coldest beer in the valley. Moved to Dallas and On The Border started serving them a number of years after but couldn't touch the Round Up.

• Hook 'Em 3

My best friend’s father would go to Matt’s after every home game. He was a season ticket holder for north of 40 years until passing suddenly a few years ago. Had a terrific corner tailgate spot in the LBJ parking lot for many of those years. 

I miss him and talking about the game over margaritas. I’ll always have a sweet spot for Matt’s. 

• Hook 'Em 9

My best friend’s father would go to Matt’s after every home game. He was a season ticket holder for north of 40 years until passing suddenly a few years ago. Had a terrific corner tailgate spot in the LBJ parking lot for many of those years. 

I miss him and talking about the game over margaritas. I’ll always have a sweet spot for Matt’s. 
Good job making your post pedantry chastising proof. Guess I should have added something sentimental in my defense of DFW TexMex.

Do we have a post game spots thread? Posse, Crown, and Matt’s immediately come to mind. I’d probably be unfamiliar with any of the newer places. 

I loved Jaime’s and the Sangria striped margaritas back in the mid 90s. Three blocks South of the Drum, but you had to go outside to pee. (It was an “outhouse” in the front courtyard for you youngsters.) Early in the season, it was still hot outside at 10:00+.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1