2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do we have a post game spots thread? Posse, Crown, and Matt’s immediately come to mind. I’d probably be unfamiliar with any of the newer places. 

The surly horns tailgate 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

On my phone so I can't crop this correctly but:

Screenshot_20240814_195201_Instagram.jpg

3 hours ago, immamac said:

This isn't the thread for any of that shit. It's not that dead. 

2 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

All I want to know is when does Houston turn into Dallas on a Texas map and vice versa. Any takers 

image.gif.5be946841a3312f631fcb70c6d6897f9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Those lists are always....interesting. I am shocked at how many guys I have never heard of. haha. I guarantee if this list is redone at the end of the year it will have Ryan Wingo and Jaydon Blue on it. They are gonna be monsters this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

lol espns list of the top 100 is full of lol’s. Bond being in the 80’s. Ewers at 23 haha. There are plenty more laughs-enjoy https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40683565/college-football-preseason-player-rank-top-100-travis-hunter-james-pearce

I wouldn’t say either of those are totally out of line. I’m not sure what to expect from Bond. I’d probably have Ewers a little higher.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I wouldn’t say either of those are totally out of line. I’m not sure what to expect from Bond. I’d probably have Ewers a little higher.

Bond, agreed. Looks good on paper/vid, but Agiye looked decent, too. Ewers, looks good as well. If he quits side-arming shit five feet off the ground and goes a whole season  without getting squashed or trying to run over linebackers, he'll show higher.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CJ Vogel

We are creeping up to the beginning of the football season and everyone should be excited for that! 

It feels like this week has flown by as well, as here we are at Thursday again. So for your Friday appetizer, here are a few team notes combined with some notable visitors expected in for the Texas-Georgia game October 19. 

Team Notes

– I reported earlier in the week TE Juan Davis received some looks at the RB spot this week to help provide an option for the Texas coaching staff due to multiple season-long injuries sustained already through camp.

That remains the case, however it was Davis who initiated the move. I was told Davis voluntarily offered his services in the backfield and staff obliged. The selfless veteran on the roster is doing whatever he can to make an impact and contribute for this year's squad.

On the topic of running backs, I do not believe LB Derion Gullette to be a full-time swap to the offensive side of the ball. In fact, Gullette should be considered the more emergency back in the conversation given Niblett and Davis received run in the position, as has walk-on Colin Page.

---

Juan Davis, Longhorn Legend

Interesting.  Not a lot of 6'4" RBs out there anymore.

33 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

"I get that Sark wants to have the most explosive offense in college football," the coach said. "But there were so many times a guy like Jordan Whittington was open underneath, but the ball went to Worthy downfield in a contested situation and fell incomplete.

This wasn't a Sark thing. This was a Ewers thing. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

This wasn't a Sark thing. This was a Ewers thing. 

Yeah, being overly reliant on Worthy seemed to be a huge flaw of Quinn’s. I really hope he doesn’t do that again this year, especially with someone like Bond when we have so many legit WRs and TEs. That would go extremely poorly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

lol espns list of the top 100 is full of lol’s. Bond being in the 80’s. Ewers at 23 haha. There are plenty more laughs-enjoy https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40683565/college-football-preseason-player-rank-top-100-travis-hunter-james-pearce

Rising is still fucking playing lol dude is like 38 years old

the fascination with Travis hunter boggles the mind 

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Rising is still fucking playing lol dude is like 38 years old

the fascination with Travis hunter boggles the mind 

Hunter is an elite DB, but he gets the Champ Bailey/Charles Woodson bump for being a two way threat. Still an easy top 10 pick imo. 

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Hunter is an elite DB, but he gets the Champ Bailey/Charles Woodson bump for being a two way threat. Still an easy top 10 pick imo. 

Is he?  I know that was the line of thinking, but I wasn't sure if his DB film backed that up.  I know the Colorado defense in general was pretty bad last year.  He doesn't look anything special at WR, not that he's bad, but he certainly isn't a top 10 pick at WR.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CJ Vogel

On the topic of running backs, I do not believe LB Derion Gullette to be a full-time swap to the offensive side of the ball. In fact, Gullette should be considered the more emergency back in the conversation given Niblett and Davis received run in the position, as has walk-on Colin Page.

---

I’m optimistically taking this to mean that Guillette is developing nicely at LB and they don’t want to stunt that development unless they truly have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT: Seven Texas true freshmen pups that are already biting in August camp

Spoiler

You likely know the Darrell Royal quote that’s some variation of, “if he’ll bite you as a dog, he’ll bite you as a pup.” The meaning is fairly self-explanatory, like Paul Wadlington’s lisp, if you have “it” early, you’ll likely have “it” later. We’ve seen this with young freshmen in the past. Names like Kenny Vaccaro, Malcom Brown, Xavier Worthy, Byron Murphy, Kelvin Banks, and Anthony Hill come to mind. Even Tre Wisner on special teams was biting as a pup.

There are a handful of freshmen from the 2024 class who are already biting in August camp. 

We’ll start with the most obvious, Ryan Wingo:

WR Ryan Wingo
Wingo’s been a stud since the second he arrived on campus. Even before spring ball he excelled during winter offseason. Once spring began, he played up to his heightened expectations and that continues in August. Specifically, he and Arch Manning seem to have quite the connection in camp with reports consistently mentioning the duo.

Outside of the quarterbacks, Wingo’s NFL Draft upside is as high as anyone else’s in the program.

Edge Colin Simmons
Simmons hasn’t made as much noise as Wingo, or Anthony Hill the year before, but from a size, athleticism, and physicality standpoint, he clearly belongs. One thing standing in his way, currently, is Trey Moore but there’s a belief in the program he’ll play early and then more and more as the season progresses. So, he’s like Hill in that regard.

CB Kobe Black
Black has continually improved in his short time in Austin. Some assumed he was struggling due to giving up a very public long ball to Ryan Wingo in the spring game but file that one under [stuff] happens. Black’s size has caught bystanders by surprise and some still wonder if he’ll eventually move to safety if he gets bigger, but for now he’s getting better and better at boundary corner and the belief is he could play this year. Opportunity will certainly knock if Jahdae Barron plays both corner and Star and the staff wants to leave Malik Muhammad at field corner.

Given that size, some wondered how he’d fare against college receivers but August is showing he has what it takes to play corner. 

RB Jerrick Gibson
Even before CJ Baxter‘s injury we were hearing Gibson would likely play this year even if it was on special teams. The fact he could play special teams as a freshman tells you that he can move, the coaches find him reliable, and he has the proper temperament. Now, with fellow freshman Christian Clark also injured, Gibson will be forced into action but there’s a good amount of confidence from the staff in his ability to be ready for the challenge. 

We have been hearing good things about Gibson going back to the spring. Some of that was just about his maturity and readiness to contribute in some form or fashion. Now he’s going to have the chance to play a major role. 

TE Jordan Washington
Tight end is in good shape with Gunnar Helm, a surging Juan Davis, and Alabama transfer Amari Niblack, but Jordan Washington has the most upside at the position. He’s been making plays as a receiver, including a 30-yard seam route recently. He also has the mindset to block. His route to playing time isn’t easy but he’ll earn snaps ahead of a Year 2 breakout. 

LB Tyanthony Smith 
Smith, the late Aggie flip, is the freshman defender I’ve heard the most about this August. He could always move and find the ball carrier but now he’s carrying “college” weight at 220 pounds while retaining his speed. With Morice Blackwell dinged up, he’s already played second team Will quite well. Expect him to be a fixture on coverage units before starting in 2025 alongside Anthony Hill (in his final year). Based on what we’re hearing about Smith, that will be a fantastic duo. Another offseason is going to do him wonders.

OL Nate Kibble
Kibble has a body type like DJ Campbell and the mindset and maturity of Kelvin Banks. He’s not the raw, powerful athlete that Campbell is but he possesses the wide base and feet at guard that makes it very hard for defensive tackles to go around or through him. While he doesn’t have a quick path to the field he has the look of a future starter. That’s truly impressive considering he was a late enrollee.

A player not making this list doesn’t mean anything for their future. Some have more competitive depth charts, longer developmental curves, etc. An example, is, both Wardell Mack and Santana Wilson look good but both need more physical development and they have a lot of experienced players in front of them. That doesn’t mean they can’t be great players, they just require more projection. The players above don’t require a lot of projection.

• Hook 'Em 8