2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

32 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

I love how sports message boards are bringing back classic words lost to the literarily unversed modern reader. CTJ pulling weight here.

image.thumb.png.731025f490ee6e1c156d3e1154bb7b6b.png

image.thumb.png.457adebab25fe049c4ea332b296233b9.png

How tf you not going to give us a chart for "coelenterate"?

1 hour ago, Wayne said:

Bobby with some good RB news:

I am told that Texas has been very happy with the work of Jerrick Gibson at running back. Very happy.

He has stepped up and is being more and more reliable in each practice and is working to understand pass protection at the college level more and more.

At this stage, we expect Gibson to have a role on this team out of the gate.

Now don’t get carried away.

I’m not talking about starting or being the premier back. But his work as a strong, smart inside runner has been on display.

For a team that needed someone to step up following the injury to Cedric Baxter, Gibson has answered the call to this point.

Good news indeed , but whole new ballgame when live ammo starts firing out you.  Its the Mike Tyson saying that everyone has a plan until you get hit in the face.  Id like to think he'll be ready for what CSU is going to bring, but when the lights come on, the curtain opens,  you find out real quick how well you know your lines.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I like Baxter, but he wasn’t exactly Ricky Williams or Cedric Benson as a freshman anyway.

I keep seeing people say this, or similar, but he may well have taken a significant step forward this season. Now we don't get to find out either way. My thoughts last season were he needed another offseason to build up his body and mature so he'd be less vulnerable to strains and dings. His current injury, of course, is a whole different animal that wouldn't prevent. That and learn to lower his pads some when entering traffic. He tended to run upright when contact was imminent. He acknowledged he was working on that over the offseason.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I like Baxter, but he wasn’t exactly Ricky Williams or Cedric Benson as a freshman anyway. I think Gibson will give us a reasonable approximation of Baxter.

And since I have convinced myself that Blue is basically Reggie Bush, we should be OK at RB.

I feel given his limited carries and YPC average you could make the case that he would be about on par with Benson as a true freshmen. Ricky was a whole other level of those two though so it's not fair to lump Ricky down with them.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Can someone explain something I’ve always wondered-who coaches the kickers here? I know banks is the special team coach but have we had one kicker coach this whole time? I’m trying to figure out how we help create the GKOAT and now Bert is on the Lou groza list. Is it because we suck so bad in the red zone the last 15 years? If this is pure chance, great but I’m hoping there’s some Aussie connected coach that just stays in the shadows even through regime changes. 

8 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Can someone explain something I’ve always wondered-who coaches the kickers here? I know banks is the special team coach but have we had one kicker coach this whole time? I’m trying to figure out how we help create the GKOAT and now Bert is on the Lou groza list. Is it because we suck so bad in the red zone the last 15 years? If this is pure chance, great but I’m hoping there’s some Aussie connected coach that just stays in the shadows even through regime changes. 

Kickers and punters kind of just do their own things at practice outside of team stuff...they might have an analyst help.

• Haha 1

IT: What makes the Texas Longhorns SEC ready?

Spoiler

I asked a source for some themes of fall camp. The discussion wasn’t specific to being ready for the first season in the SEC but you get the sense that’s sort of what’s being implored behind the scenes, especially when he said…

Physicality
Physicality is one of the themes of camp, and no, physicality isn’t to blame for the two running back injuries. Sark likes to say the only way to get ready to play football is to play football and the team sessions have been largely football, especially between the hashmarks. In the first scrimmage, Sark didn’t want tackling to the ground when it came to skill players but they were banging pretty good in the tackle box.

Physical players of note are Anthony Hill, Barryn Sorrell, DJ Campbell, David Gbenda, Morice Blackwell, DeAndre Moore, Matthew Golden, Derek Williams, and Jaylon Guilbeau. Of course, that’s all relative to their position.

The goal here is to be ready for the SEC, and one can surmise, Michigan.

Depth
This source mentions depth every time we talk. “It’s always a long season but in the SEC you really need your depth especially later in the year.” This source mentioned wide receiver, defensive back, Edge, quarterback, and the offensive line as being deep. I’d actually feel pretty comfortable throwing defensive tackle and tight end in there as well.

Receiver has six they can count on, defensive back is two deep across the board, Edge is three-deep, quarterback is two-deep but the team wouldn’t crater with Trey Owens out there, and the offensive line has eight it can trust, if not more.

Steve Sarkisian is going to play a lot of players this year. There are a handful of obvious benefits to that.

Mindset
Sark’s “obsession” with winning has taken root within the program. Last year the No. 1 goal was to win the conference. We definitely had sources who felt the playoffs were a possibility but winning the Big 12 in Texas’ last season in the conference was the focal point. Of course everyone would love to win the SEC in Texas’ first year but the program is thinking bigger. The goal is the National Championship. With the expanded playoffs, even if you don’t win the conference you can still be one of the top contenders for the title.

Given the talent and experience in the program, that should be the goal.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I feel given his limited carries and YPC average you could make the case that he would be about on par with Benson as a true freshmen. Ricky was a whole other level of those two though so it's not fair to lump Ricky down with them.

I think people are worried about pass protection more than anything, we are not A&M we are not stupid enough to trot out Rueben Owens and get our QB killed.

50 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

This guy is fucking dialed in. 

• Haha 2

About half of the P4 punters are Aussies, and most of those are from ProKick Australia. I reckon there are teaching materials available, and I'd be surprised if there aren't some "consultants" available. I've not seen a lot of Aussie place-kickers, and I think that's because ProKick is Aussie Rules Football guys, who do shitloads of punting with emphasis on accuracy in direction and distance but little on kicking the ball off the ground. Place kicking is moderately important in Rugby, and the recent Rugby in the Olympics saw a couple of games lost because of missed conversions after trys. Most were missed from bad angles, and the angle is determined by the touchdown location of a try - the ball is placed perpendicular to where the ball is touched down. If the touchdown (no try if ball isn't touched down) is scored out by the corner, you've got a very bad angle for the conversion kick. 

Interesting Rugby factoids: the successful try is 5 points, and the conversion is 2 points. The term "try" came because you don't get points until you touch the ball down on the ground, then it's a "touchdown". We should probably change American Football's "touchdown" to "plane break". The reason the "point after" is called a "conversion" is that the old rules gave no points for a try/touchdown, and you
"converted" the try by kicking the ball through the goal posts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Rumors that Erxleben is on campus doing community service as a volunteer assistant.  When Bert starts kicking straight-on this year, the rumor shall be confirmed.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Rumors that Erxleben is on campus doing community service as a volunteer assistant.  When Bert starts kicking straight-on this year, the rumor shall be confirmed.

Messed up life... convicted multiple times.  Hope Erxleben is out of jail now.

1998...  His company got shut down in September 1998, as the feds found that it was lying about its profits. Even worse, it was covering its losses with a Ponzi scheme, a setup where investors in a firm receive funds from the investments that new investors make instead of getting returns from the existing equity.

Erxleben pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud, mail fraud and money laundering and another count of securities fraud related to misleading statements about the company’s revenue. He was sentenced to 84 months in federal prison, as well as a $28 million bill for restitution and a $1 million fine.

He and his colleagues would lose even more millions of dollars in subsequent lawsuits that were filed against them.

Erxleben served nearly five years of the sentence, and in June 2005, he walked out of the federal prison in Beaumont, Texas where he had served his time. He was now a free man.

Surely, he thought that chapter of his life was firmly behind him.

NOPE...

Screenshot_20240816-135111_kindlephoto-24309130.png.24803a175146e4e13cbedd6eeafdd024.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Id like to think he'll be ready for what CSU is going to bring, but when the lights come on, the curtain opens,  you find out real quick how well you know your lines.

If we need Jerrick Gibson to do anything to beat CSU then it's going to be a long fucking season. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Messed up life... convicted multiple times.  Hope Erxleben is out of jail now.

1998...  His company got shut down in September 1998, as the feds found that it was lying about its profits. Even worse, it was covering its losses with a Ponzi scheme, a setup where investors in a firm receive funds from the investments that new investors make instead of getting returns from the existing equity.

Erxleben pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud, mail fraud and money laundering and another count of securities fraud related to misleading statements about the company’s revenue. He was sentenced to 84 months in federal prison, as well as a $28 million bill for restitution and a $1 million fine.

He and his colleagues would lose even more millions of dollars in subsequent lawsuits that were filed against them.

Erxleben served nearly five years of the sentence, and in June 2005, he walked out of the federal prison in Beaumont, Texas where he had served his time. He was now a free man.

Surely, he thought that chapter of his life was firmly behind him.

NOPE...

Screenshot_20240816-135111_kindlephoto-24309130.png.24803a175146e4e13cbedd6eeafdd024.png

image.png.2c17c33a25070c119d35a16a55032119.png

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

If we need Jerrick Gibson to do anything to beat CSU then it's going to be a long fucking season. 

yeah i agree, it was more of a true freshman playing on big stage for the first time against D1 players (even CSU) and then the following week being on biggest stage of them all.  Lot can happen to any player when its game on.

33 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

yeah i agree, it was more of a true freshman playing on big stage for the first time against D1 players (even CSU) and then the following week being on biggest stage of them all.  Lot can happen to any player when its game on.

Yes I agree with your larger point. Just saying it should be a good game for him to dip his feet in the water. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Is Freddie Dubose mostly just recovering this year? Either way, sort of seems like he's going to be immediately recruited over

Yes, never fully recovered from his injury his Jr year in HS. Rushed back too quick for track and then football last fall.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Gibson just needs to get some reps against CSU and get acclimated to college ball. I think he's going to be good. 

Anyone comparing any other back to Ricky just needs to stop. And Cedric Benson may be the most durable player we've ever had. 49 career games and 1100+ carries after a high school career where the entire stadium knew he was getting the ball for 3 seasons. Oh and he was a 12th round pick of the Dodgers. I've said it before (and I was guilty of it myself) but Ced was the most under-appreciated stud we had because he followed Ricky too closely chronologically. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

As long as Gibson can find the hole and stay healthy, he'll do plenty fine for this offense. If he's actually creating yards out there that aren't blocked for him, then Baxter will have a lot to show to get his job back next year.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Sure, but ideally you'd like to have him out there for a lot of snaps to keep mileage on Blue as low as possible.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Need him to get some experience in college in that game, because it is likely Texas will need him vs Michigan 

Edited by Codaxx

38 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sure, but ideally you'd like to have him out there for a lot of snaps to keep mileage on Blue as low as possible.

I'm just saying we shouldn't need him 5o be super productive.