2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

On 8/16/2024 at 1:08 PM, Tex Long said:

About half of the P4 punters are Aussies, and most of those are from ProKick Australia. I reckon there are teaching materials available, and I'd be surprised if there aren't some "consultants" available. I've not seen a lot of Aussie place-kickers, and I think that's because ProKick is Aussie Rules Football guys, who do shitloads of punting with emphasis on accuracy in direction and distance but little on kicking the ball off the ground. Place kicking is moderately important in Rugby, and the recent Rugby in the Olympics saw a couple of games lost because of missed conversions after trys. Most were missed from bad angles, and the angle is determined by the touchdown location of a try - the ball is placed perpendicular to where the ball is touched down. If the touchdown (no try if ball isn't touched down) is scored out by the corner, you've got a very bad angle for the conversion kick. 

Interesting Rugby factoids: the successful try is 5 points, and the conversion is 2 points. The term "try" came because you don't get points until you touch the ball down on the ground, then it's a "touchdown". We should probably change American Football's "touchdown" to "plane break". The reason the "point after" is called a "conversion" is that the old rules gave no points for a try/touchdown, and you
"converted" the try by kicking the ball through the goal posts.

image.gif.630289499073ea593c8e070476f93e13.gif

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Golden and bolden and bond aren’t unproven. They’ve done it successfully other places with much shittier QB’s. 
Ewers is going into year 3. He’s gotten better every year. Reports are that he’s better again this year. He’s going to be a first round pick. 

Are you so certain about Bond? We know he's fast, but there have been mixed reports on his knowledge of the playbook and being on the same page as Ewers. I guess my concern is will he be consistent.

As for Ewers, he still has to prove it live this season. Sure, we expect he should be better, but by the same token, he had some issues last season that Bobby and Gerry brought up today on youtube. Namely, his pocket presence and coming into the game ready to play, instead of settling in late in the game. Both issues were apparent last season. I like that we've heard he's getting further into his progressions, but let's hope that's still the case when Ewers knows the opposing defense isn't holding back.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic, but we are in Kool-Aid season right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Are you so certain about Bond? We know he's fast, but there have been mixed reports on his knowledge of the playbook and being on the same page as Ewers. I guess my concern is will he be consistent.

As for Ewers, he still has to prove it live this season. Sure, we expect he should be better, but by the same token, he had some issues last season that Bobby and Gerry brought up today on youtube. Namely, his pocket presence and coming into the game ready to play, instead of settling in late in the game. Both issues were apparent last season. I like that we've heard he's getting further into his progressions, but let's hope that's still the case when Ewers knows the opposing defense isn't holding back.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic, but we are in Kool-Aid season right now.

I was  one to give the report on Bond being a dumb dumb. That doesn’t mean he’s some greenhorn who has never done it before. He’s draft eligible not inexperienced. 

57 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Golden and bolden and bond aren’t unproven. They’ve done it successfully other places with much shittier QB’s. 
Ewers is going into year 3. He’s gotten better every year. Reports are that he’s better again this year. He’s going to be a first round pick. 
Sark is at worst the 3rd or 5th offensive mind in college football. He’s never had anything other than a very good offense at worst when he hasn’t had dogshit at QB1. 
maybe we underwhelm and have like the 12th best offense in college football. I think that’s unlikely and we are a top 3 offense, but under no circumstances will we be worse than above average. If our defense is taking it to our offense that’s good news. 

Ewers has his work cut out for him with his big four targets getting replaced. That’s not a small thing. Sark is a great offensive mind, but he gets in his own way too often. Elite teams blow out weaker teams and don’t play with their food. I just want to see us take that next step consistently (we saw it a little last year), but I’m not confident we’ll get there.

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Second Scrimmage News | Jake Majors in Precautionary Boot | Golden Mosses Defender

Hayden Conner and Connor Robertson both got snaps at center with the ones. Likewise, Hutson and Neto both got snaps at LG with the ones per CJ.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Sal said:

Ewers has his work cut out for him with his big four targets getting replaced. That’s not a small thing. Sark is a great offensive mind, but he gets in his own way too often. Elite teams blow out weaker teams and don’t play with their food. I just want to see us take that next step consistently (we saw it a little last year), but I’m not confident we’ll get there.

there was a big improvement from year 1 to last year.. I'd expect a bigger jump this season as long as he can stay healthy.  He needs to play an entire season for him to reach his ceiling with us.. He's never going to get real consistency if he continues to miss games then return cautiously in games trying to prevent a hit on his shoulder/ribs

I think he's going to really shine this season. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Sal said:

Fuck your own face.  We drinkin koolaid here 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

One thing Ewers needs to work on is his starts. He had excellent 2h and 4Q numbers overall last season. 198 4Q rating. 146 1H rating vs 178 in 2H 

The last half and Q4 were not excellent. We got two Q3 possessions and made a grand total of eight or nine yards, with a fumble and a penalty, and a whole 2+ minutes of control, whilte UW kept the ball for 21 minutes and scored 10. Q4 was a little bit better, but we did our too-often red-zone fade and settled for a FG, got the ball back because UW was trying to run out the clock out, and the last drive was 9 passes with 3 complete (one of them for a loss), and the last 3 hit the ground.

Be fair, it was a better finish than we had hoped for at the sta of the season, but the end was not pleasant.

All that said, I expect as good or better outcome this season. So should all of us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Sal said:

Reasons why we could underwhelm:

-Ewers is inconsistent between and sometimes within games

-The team/Sark play down to opponents
-The WRs are totally unproven

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sark is at worst the 3rd or 5th offensive mind in college football. He’s never had anything other than a very good offense at worst when he hasn’t had dogshit at QB1. 
maybe we underwhelm and have like the 12th best offense in college football. I think that’s unlikely and we are a top 3 offense, but under no circumstances will we be worse than above average. If our defense is taking it to our offense that’s good news. 

Yeah if Texas underwhelms on the season and it's not because the team turns into a MASH unit, it's because the defense doesn't come together. Texas could take a rando head scratcher of a loss because the offense has one of those games that can happen to any team anywhere because that's football; but if we're talking derail the season, cause multiple losses type systemic issue it's going to be the defense. Too much proof of concept with the offense already.

I expect them to be 9-3 or better and squarely in the CFP mix, potentially for an SEC championship, but that's how it would happen.

• Hook 'Em 4

Hutson or Robertson if Majors is sidelined?
Seems like it will be Robertson and he will be under intense scrutiny here
I wouldn't mind seeing Danny Cruz get some snaps if we manage to pile up points on CSU early on.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We need a grammar thread asap. It can have all grammar smack and post corrections. Maybe y'all can actually teach English in that thread  and stay out of great thread discussion. 

My wife is an English/Language Arts teacher and previous court reporter. She “proof reads” all my important correspondence prior to hitting send/submit/print.

Hook’em!!!
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

Juan Davis is our Swiss Army knife or switchblade, whichever mode of utilization you choose. He can run, catch, and block if desired. Just saying. Coaches used him more yesterday.

Hook’em!!!

Could we go so far as to call him our “Letherman” or our “utility infielder”?

• Hook 'Em 1

Could we go so far as to call him our “Letherman” or our “utility infielder”?

I like Leatherman utility knife, as I have one that is 25+ years old in my truck. Still in the original belt holder/sheath. The knife is older than my son, who’s two years out of college. Kind of like my Cowboys not even reaching a NFC championship game since ‘95.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2024 at 1:08 PM, Tex Long said:

About half of the P4 punters are Aussies, and most of those are from ProKick Australia. I reckon there are teaching materials available, and I'd be surprised if there aren't some "consultants" available. I've not seen a lot of Aussie place-kickers, and I think that's because ProKick is Aussie Rules Football guys, who do shitloads of punting with emphasis on accuracy in direction and distance but little on kicking the ball off the ground. Place kicking is moderately important in Rugby, and the recent Rugby in the Olympics saw a couple of games lost because of missed conversions after trys. Most were missed from bad angles, and the angle is determined by the touchdown location of a try - the ball is placed perpendicular to where the ball is touched down. If the touchdown (no try if ball isn't touched down) is scored out by the corner, you've got a very bad angle for the conversion kick. 

Interesting Rugby factoids: the successful try is 5 points, and the conversion is 2 points. The term "try" came because you don't get points until you touch the ball down on the ground, then it's a "touchdown". We should probably change American Football's "touchdown" to "plane break". The reason the "point after" is called a "conversion" is that the old rules gave no points for a try/touchdown, and you
"converted" the try by kicking the ball through the goal posts.

No Cliff, those rugby factoids are not interesting 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

No Cliff, those rugby factoids are not interesting 

And yet you feel the need to respond.

My work here is well done, and good, solely on that basis. Thank you for  allowing the InterNet to collect another factoid about you.

16 hours ago, Tex Long said:

The last half and Q4 were not excellent. We got two Q3 possessions and made a grand total of eight or nine yards, with a fumble and a penalty, and a whole 2+ minutes of control, whilte UW kept the ball for 21 minutes and scored 10. Q4 was a little bit better, but we did our too-often red-zone fade and settled for a FG, got the ball back because UW was trying to run out the clock out, and the last drive was 9 passes with 3 complete (one of them for a loss), and the last 3 hit the ground.

Be fair, it was a better finish than we had hoped for at the sta of the season, but the end was not pleasant.

All that said, I expect as good or better outcome this season. So should all of us.

I tried to stop posts like this by saying overall, but I knew someone would bring up a singular game. 

I can’t imagine the thought process that thinks Blue and Baxter’s fumbles in the 3Q are on Ewers (he was the subject of my post), but maybe you just felt the need to bitch about Washington game 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I tried to stop posts like this by saying overall, but I knew someone would bring up a singular game. 

I can’t imagine the thought process that thinks Blue and Baxter’s fumbles in the 3Q are on Ewers (he was the subject of my post), but maybe you just felt the need to bitch about Washington game 

Not merely a singular game. The last game we played, and the most important game of the year. In which we - and our QB1 - did NOT have an excellent game. We didn't just get shut out in Q3, we got trampled. That's on the D and on the O.

Blue fumbled in Q4, not Q3. Baxter's not playing this season. I'm pretty sure I didn't blame the fumbles on Ewers. 

Neither QB1 nor the whole team would grade that last game as "excellent", although - as I said - the season was indeed excellent, and we expect that to be repeated.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Not merely a singular game. The last game we played, and the most important game of the year. In which we - and our QB1 - did NOT have an excellent game. We didn't just get shut out in Q3, we got trampled. That's on the D and on the O.

Blue fumbled in Q4, not Q3. Baxter's not playing this season. I'm pretty sure I didn't blame the fumbles on Ewers. 

Neither QB1 nor the whole team would grade that last game as "excellent", although - as I said - the season was indeed excellent, and we expect that to be repeated.

I gave you the splits in passer rating, if you want to go into a tangent about a singular game feel free. You can check, but Quinn was way better in the 2nd half vs Washington. He struggled in the 1Q, but was one of the better offensive players in that game 

1q- 154.4 rating 6TDs and 3 Ints (8.8 yards per)

2q- 139 rating 5TDs and 3 Ints (7.8)

3q- 161.6 rating 5TDs and 0 ints (8.8 per)

4q- 197.8 rating 6TDs and 0 ints (11.2 per)

If you want to look at those numbers and say he struggles in 2Hs of games, I am not sure what to say. I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I gave you the splits in passer rating, if you want to go into a tangent about a singular game feel free. You can check, but Quinn was way better in the 2nd half vs Washington. He struggled in the 1Q, but was one of the better offensive players in that game 

1q- 154.4 rating 6TDs and 3 Ints (8.8 yards per)

2q- 139 rating 5TDs and 3 Ints (7.8)

3q- 161.6 rating 5TDs and 0 ints (8.8 per)

4q- 197.8 rating 6TDs and 0 ints (11.2 per)

If you want to look at those numbers and say he struggles in 2Hs of games, I am not sure what to say. I guess you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink 

What are you on about? You said "overall", my reply was just pointing out that the last game did not fall within that realm.

It's unfortunate that you don't get it, and/or that you feel the need to believe that "overall" is magically proof that one game didn't matter... but it did.

If it makes you feel better, post more statistics. Or maybe you can blame Sark for poor play calling or for not riding PK hard enough for having a less than excellent pass D.

Buck up, trooper - things look good for the upcoming season. Well... as long as we don't have all our RBs injured.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I really thought Neto would have locked down that LG job by this point. Even when Conner gets moved, Hutson is with the 1's. Weird deal there.

if only the coaches read the message boards they would understand how good neto really is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I really thought Neto would have locked down that LG job by this point. Even when Conner gets moved, Hutson is with the 1's. Weird deal there.

Neto also got snaps with the ones per CJ Vogel in the OTF video posted earlier. Draw your own conclusions, but Flood knows best.

I have zero feel for what this team will do. They lost of a ton of nfl talent, but they still have strong talent in key spots, with a QB who’s much more experienced. They have a new defensive coach who might help the defense overall.  But the schedule is tough. I could see anywhere from 8-4 to 11-1.  Will be an interesting year. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Same thing with utilizing Juan Davis!

Hook’em!!!

Davis looks like the kind of guy you could play at that HB/WingBack/BlockingBack spot, where everyone is sure his only real job is pass pro, although your shift might put him at RB, or... he can brush the rusher and slip behind him and be totally unaccounted for by the D. Hit that a couple of times early, and the D is compromised. It could happen.

Just now, Tex Long said:

Davis looks like the kind of guy you could play at that HB/WingBack/BlockingBack spot, where everyone is sure his only real job is pass pro, although your shift might put him at RB, or... he can brush the rusher and slip behind him and be totally unaccounted for by the D. Hit that a couple of times early, and the D is compromised. It could happen.

Juan "The Predator" Davis has a nice ring to it. 

Haha his nickname growing up was dook, dunno why and neither did he.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

What are you on about? You said "overall", my reply was just pointing out that the last game did not fall within that realm.

It's unfortunate that you don't get it, and/or that you feel the need to believe that "overall" is magically proof that one game didn't matter... but it did.

If it makes you feel better, post more statistics. Or maybe you can blame Sark for poor play calling or for not riding PK hard enough for having a less than excellent pass D.

Buck up, trooper - things look good for the upcoming season. Well... as long as we don't have all our RBs injured.

I was talking about Quinn needing to step up in 1st halves of games. I am not sure how that is hard to comprehend. Your response was a singular game and one where Quinn started very slow and ended the highest rated player on the team according to PFF.

• Hook 'Em 1