2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

29 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Odd response. DL was salty last year. Wonder what he means by this

So when you think of DB and their perspective of DL play do you think they care more about run or pass? 

If the pass rush has improved the DB has a lot easier time in coverage. Less time to throw = less scrambling and time for War to run routes. 

• Like 2

Just now, immamac said:

So when you think of DB and their perspective of DL play do you think they care more about run or pass? 

If the pass rush has improved the DB has a lot easier time in coverage. Less time to throw = less scrambling and time for War to run routes. 

Why Don't We Have Both.Tiny Little Girl in Old El Paso Advertisement.Blogspot.Gif

CJ Vogel on the RB room and a possible addition

Spoiler

Texas is back on the practice field early Tuesday morning as preparations for Colorado State have begun. Just 11 days away from the start of the 2024 season, Texas has already experienced some adversity before ever lining up against someone in a different jersey.

Having lost both CJ Baxter and Christian Clark for the season due to injuries, the Texas staff has been forced to scramble a little bit to ensure the necessary depth and talent is available for the long run this fall.

That even includes the possibility of Texas going out to add another body out of the grad transfer ranks should the right piece present itself.

Here is what we know + how I am expecting their usage to look.

RB Jaydon Blue

One of college football's fastest players, Blue now has to shoulder a larger role in the Texas offense in 2024. We know how dynamic Blue can be in space and where the Longhorns would prefer to utilize him to get his speed out on the edge. Fortunately, Texas knows Blue can find success in between the tackles as we saw against Texas Tech when Blue ripped off a 67-yard touchdown. The play that best suits the skillset Blue provides was actually an outside stretch zone against BYU where he slithered through the line, got to the edge at the second level and beat everyone with his speed to the edge for a lengthy touchdown. Still, I expect 20% of his touches to come via the air to change it up and reduce the beating of 300-pound SEC iDL.

Expectation: 17-23 touches per game

RB Tre Wisner

Wisner only saw 11 rush attempts in 2023, but has been a mainstay with the first offense as a second back in certain formations and looks since the spring. His role was expected to increased regardless this fall, but now it is much more out of necessity. I still view Wisner as more of a slasher back. Though one that can provide instant hiccups for defenses who are not up to speed with a two-back look Texas will ultimately throw at them. Wisner will need to make a jump to running between the tackles against the ones of other programs, but so far in camp I have not heard that to be an issue.

Expectation: 5-9 touches per game

RB Jerrick Gibson

Much like Wisner, Gibson's importance to the 2024 football team greatly increases due to the Baxter injury. There had been murmurs passed onto OTF this fall that Gibson had been running a bit ahead of Christian Clark, but that is no longer of any significance given the injury situation. Gibson has a reputation, given his frame, for being a bruiser between the tackles. He will need to be just that considering the other skillsets in the RB Room at the moment. I have him running a bit more than Wisner in my prediction count right now, 1. because I think there is more versatility for a Wisner in motion in the Texas offense to create different window dressing than a Gibson, and 2. because of his running style between the tackles.

Expectation: 6-10 touches per game

TE Juan Davis

I reported last week that tight end Juan Davis had voluntarily offered his services at the running back position given the injuries mentioned atop of the article. Since then, Davis has continued to see some snaps at running back, but the move has not been a full time swap. I have received word that if Davis takes handoffs or rushes the football at all, it would be in short yardage/goal line situations that could even include him being the one to receive the snap/

Expectation: Situational short yardage (1-3 looks per game)

WR Ryan Niblett

Niblett was another position changer that saw time in the backfield late last week in practice. Though like Davis, I am uncertain just how often you will see a guy like Niblett in the backfield. Of course, Sarkisian praised Niblett as a guy who had been coming along recently in practice, mentioning he was one of seven wide receivers to have trust from the staff currently. Niblett would be used similarly to a Wisner in the offense due to his frame and style of play, but is more being looked at as an emergency option based off of what I am told.

Expectation: Situational 2nd back on the field

Possible Addition

Steve Sarkisian spoke with the media on Monday and was asked about the possibility of Texas going out into the portal or the grad transfer ranks to find a capable body ahead of the season kicking off. 

Texas has a roster spot available said Sarkisian and the staff is turning over all the necessary stones to ensure they are not passing up on a possible fit to the running back room and the roster.

"We definitely have a spot that we can utilize," Sarkisian said. "Again, a lot of times this late in the game, it's probably not a traditional transfer, maybe more of a graduate transfer, something of the sort. So we're kind of looking at all of our options.

We just don't want to take a body, to take a body. If it's someone that can help us in some capacity, maybe limited role, bigger role, whatever that is, we are we are looking at all options."

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

Dont remember the exact stats, but I do believe Texas was top 5 in pressures. Sacks and pressures are very important, but so is the ability of a defense to make a team 1 dimensional. That is something the defense did consistently last year and should have been very beneficial to the secondary. OF course it is really easy on secondary if Texas defense became the 85 Bears and stuffed the run and sacked the QB, but that is a big ask. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Matuka said:

Wouldn’t the planned date of the wedding been known to the then bride to be as a likely Spring game date?

"Honey that might be the spring game date."

"Is that a real game?"

"No it's a fancy practice that kids and weird diehards attend."

"Yeah, I'm not moving it."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Honey that might be the spring game date."

"Is that a real game?"

"No it's a fancy practice that kids and weird diehards attend."

"Honey, is it a big deal if you miss it?"

"Yeah, it might affect playing time for me in the fall and any prayer I need answered for getting a whiff of the NFL."

"Is that all?"

"Also, the coaches will 100% mention my dedication to the craft if I do actually have a good season and some NFL guys ask around about me as they consider the late rounds and undrafted free agents. It basically cements the reality that I'll never make a dime off the this sport outside of what I minimally get this fall."

The spring game filled much of the lower bowl and his absence pissed off the coaches. Broughton and his now wife are idiots.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"Honey, is it a big deal if you miss it?"

"Yeah, it might affect playing time for me in the fall and any prayer I need answered for getting a whiff of the NFL."

"Is that all?"

"Also, the coaches will 100% mention my dedication to the craft if I do actually have a good season and some NFL guys ask around about me as they consider the late rounds and undrafted free agents. It basically cements the reality that I'll never make a dime off the this sport outside of what I minimally get this fall."

The spring game filled much of the lower bowl and his absence pissed off the coaches. Broughton and his now wife are idiots.

Trying to use logic about a wedding, pregnancy, or new born with a woman is D.O.A. No use even attempting such a foolhardy mission. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Spring game has been mad-late April for several year running. It really just takes a couple Saturdays off the table in terms of available dates even if booking well in advance. Don't want to make more of it than it is but it really should not have been a conflict in the first place.

• Hook 'Em 3

While we are hand ringing about the wedding date no one is asking the real question 

what dumb mother fucker still in college on the eve of a potential nfl draft next spring goes and gets fucking married.  

dumb dumb dumb aggy level dumb 

34 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

While we are hand ringing about the wedding date no one is asking the real question 

what dumb mother fucker still in college on the eve of a potential nfl draft next spring goes and gets fucking married.  

*wringing

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Steve Sarkisian spoke with the media on Monday and was asked about the possibility of Texas going out into the portal or the grad transfer ranks to find a capable body ahead of the season kicking off. 

I'll be interested to see what type of transfer player is available in late August. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Pussy is undefeated….you know that.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

CJ Vogel on the RB room and a possible addition

Hide contents

Texas is back on the practice field early Tuesday morning as preparations for Colorado State have begun. Just 11 days away from the start of the 2024 season, Texas has already experienced some adversity before ever lining up against someone in a different jersey.

Having lost both CJ Baxter and Christian Clark for the season due to injuries, the Texas staff has been forced to scramble a little bit to ensure the necessary depth and talent is available for the long run this fall.

That even includes the possibility of Texas going out to add another body out of the grad transfer ranks should the right piece present itself.

Here is what we know + how I am expecting their usage to look.

RB Jaydon Blue

One of college football's fastest players, Blue now has to shoulder a larger role in the Texas offense in 2024. We know how dynamic Blue can be in space and where the Longhorns would prefer to utilize him to get his speed out on the edge. Fortunately, Texas knows Blue can find success in between the tackles as we saw against Texas Tech when Blue ripped off a 67-yard touchdown. The play that best suits the skillset Blue provides was actually an outside stretch zone against BYU where he slithered through the line, got to the edge at the second level and beat everyone with his speed to the edge for a lengthy touchdown. Still, I expect 20% of his touches to come via the air to change it up and reduce the beating of 300-pound SEC iDL.

Expectation: 17-23 touches per game

RB Tre Wisner

Wisner only saw 11 rush attempts in 2023, but has been a mainstay with the first offense as a second back in certain formations and looks since the spring. His role was expected to increased regardless this fall, but now it is much more out of necessity. I still view Wisner as more of a slasher back. Though one that can provide instant hiccups for defenses who are not up to speed with a two-back look Texas will ultimately throw at them. Wisner will need to make a jump to running between the tackles against the ones of other programs, but so far in camp I have not heard that to be an issue.

Expectation: 5-9 touches per game

RB Jerrick Gibson

Much like Wisner, Gibson's importance to the 2024 football team greatly increases due to the Baxter injury. There had been murmurs passed onto OTF this fall that Gibson had been running a bit ahead of Christian Clark, but that is no longer of any significance given the injury situation. Gibson has a reputation, given his frame, for being a bruiser between the tackles. He will need to be just that considering the other skillsets in the RB Room at the moment. I have him running a bit more than Wisner in my prediction count right now, 1. because I think there is more versatility for a Wisner in motion in the Texas offense to create different window dressing than a Gibson, and 2. because of his running style between the tackles.

Expectation: 6-10 touches per game

TE Juan Davis

I reported last week that tight end Juan Davis had voluntarily offered his services at the running back position given the injuries mentioned atop of the article. Since then, Davis has continued to see some snaps at running back, but the move has not been a full time swap. I have received word that if Davis takes handoffs or rushes the football at all, it would be in short yardage/goal line situations that could even include him being the one to receive the snap/

Expectation: Situational short yardage (1-3 looks per game)

WR Ryan Niblett

Niblett was another position changer that saw time in the backfield late last week in practice. Though like Davis, I am uncertain just how often you will see a guy like Niblett in the backfield. Of course, Sarkisian praised Niblett as a guy who had been coming along recently in practice, mentioning he was one of seven wide receivers to have trust from the staff currently. Niblett would be used similarly to a Wisner in the offense due to his frame and style of play, but is more being looked at as an emergency option based off of what I am told.

Expectation: Situational 2nd back on the field

Possible Addition

Texas has a roster spot available said Sarkisian and the staff is turning over all the necessary stones to ensure they are not passing up on a possible fit to the running back room and the roster.

"We definitely have a spot that we can utilize," Sarkisian said. "Again, a lot of times this late in the game, it's probably not a traditional transfer, maybe more of a graduate transfer, something of the sort. So we're kind of looking at all of our options.

We just don't want to take a body, to take a body. If it's someone that can help us in some capacity, maybe limited role, bigger role, whatever that is, we are we are looking at all options."

Faison at Utah State can transfer due to a HC change, right?