2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'll give him a follow. Anyone with self depricating humor is my kinda person 

Especially since a lot of it usually involves Texas like the post above 

…and lately about his smokeshow preggo wife if you’re in to that kind of thing

• Like 2

Left KU in Sept 2021...

Gardner spent the past two seasons with SMU, rushing for just 505 combined yards and two scores in a limited role.

Prior to that, he was in Kansas for three years. After playing 10 games as a freshman with the Jayhawks, he played six the following year and then just three in 2021, which marked his final season with the program. 

In his college career, Gardner has rushed for a total of 1,024 yards with six scores, but he could enter a perfect situation in Austin after the recent injury woes. 

22 hours ago, Fud said:

Players Texas will see this year in the regular season on Brugler's top 50 big board

Michigan
1) Will Johnson- CB
4) Mason Graham- DT
21) Colston Loveland- TE
30) Kenneth Grant- DT

Georgia
'8) Carson Beck- QB
9) Malaki Starks- S
14) Mykel Williams- Edge
40) Jalon Walker- LB

A&M
19) Nic Scourton- Edge
24) Conner Weigman- QB

Oklahoma
38) Danny Stutsman- LB
48) Deion Burks- OU

Kentucky
17) Deone Walker- DT
32) Maxwell Hairston- CB

Arkansas
39) Landon Jackson- Edge

Another name to watch.. Nate Tice has CSU WR Tory Horton at #40 on his big board

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Forecast for where? Fort Collins???

There's a pretty dramatic shift in the weather for most of Texas happening today/tomorrow, bringing in cooler temps and much high ongoing likelihood of rain. I wouldn't bet the farm on an 85 degree kickoff, but low 90's is expected to be about as bad as it gets around then. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Another name to watch.. Nate Tice has CSU WR Tory Horton at #40 on his big board

I will be surprised if Texas doesn't blow CSU out, but I also will not be surprised if we get pretty irritated watching Horton and Co. put up some numbers and a few drives working the intermediate passing area and slant lanes. I'm interested in seeing if that shit has been mopped up at all coming into this season. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5715589/2024/08/22/college-football-players-know-playoffs/

Feldman's 10 CFB players (besides the QBs) who may decide the Playoff race article; he has Jaydon Blue in there

Jaydon Blue, RB, Texas
Steve Sarkisian’s team probably has suffered the most key injury losses in camp with star running back CJ Baxter blowing out his knee and then Christian Clark, another back UT is high on, tearing his Achilles a few days later. Texas is down to three scholarship running backs. Quintrevion Wisner has lots of speed but is more of a slasher, while Jerrick Gibson, more of a bowling ball, will also help to pick up some of the slack. But Blue is talented enough to become a breakthrough player. He’s got 4.3 speed and ran for 398 yards in limited action. He’s a solid 200 pounds. Baxter had been the guy being counted on to really run between the tackles. The hope is that if Blue can become a more physical and durable runner to complement what already should be a dynamic offense, the Horns will have a big debut season in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I will be surprised if Texas doesn't blow CSU out, but I also will not be surprised if we get pretty irritated watching Horton and Co. put up some numbers and a few drives working the intermediate passing area and slant lanes. I'm interested in seeing if that shit has been mopped up at all coming into this season. 

I think there's a good chance Texas doesn't cover this one (opened at -35, was bet down recently to -32.5), but I was thinking more along the lines of a backdoor cover with Sark calling off the dogs early and looking ahead to Michigan than CSU hanging around throughout the game, but both are in the realm of likely possibilities

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetojumping said:

The 1st 2 games are going to be a great barometer of who Texas is this season. 

Game 1: CSU will be pass happy, so we will get a decent look at the secondary development

Game 2: We will get to see how the front 7 will look vs a power team. I know Michigan replaces a ton of OL, but pretty confident they will put out a legit OL. The right side of the Texas OL is going to tested. This maybe the best defense Texas plays all year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I think there's a good chance Texas doesn't cover this one (opened at -35, was bet down recently to -32.5), but I was thinking more along the lines of a backdoor cover with Sark calling off the dogs early and looking ahead to Michigan than CSU hanging around throughout the game, but both are in the realm of likely possibilities

I don’t know. I could see going over (barring bad rain) as if Texas up early and Arch comes in, he won’t be doing the typical mop up duty QB “hand the ball off a million times” deal but will be slinging it/working play book. 

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

I don’t know. I could see going over (barring bad rain) as if Texas up early and Arch comes in, he won’t be doing the typical mop up duty QB “hand the ball off a million times” deal but will be slinging it/working play book. 

I think that was priced into the -35 line. I think Sark, a week ahead of Michigan, taking important players out earlier and running clock wasn't

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

I am going to avoid that game. Big spread and the 1st game. I wouldnt be surprised if Texas won comfortably, but enough sloppiness to get the people's panties in a bunch here. 

+1 on most of the first two games.

First game, want to see DBs covering decently and EDGEs eating QB lunch; Ewers and Blue getting us up enough, early enough, that we get to see plenty of backup offense.

Second one... we should see a stout D from the weasels, and that should tell us a lot about our run game. Not sure how much pressure they can put on QB, but expect to see some and our response will also be telling.

We have almost the same situation as last year: scrimmage in game one and a must-win in game two. Meatchicken gots a lot of questions, but so did Bama. Both away games, both in Blueblood Heavens. 

Gonna be a verrrry interesting couple of weeks.

Hook'em

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

+1 on most of the first two games.

First game, want to see DBs covering decently and EDGEs eating QB lunch; Ewers and Blue getting us up enough, early enough, that we get to see plenty of backup offense.

Second one... we should see a stout D from the weasels, and that should tell us a lot about our run game. Not sure how much pressure they can put on QB, but expect to see some and our response will also be telling.

We have almost the same situation as last year: scrimmage in game one and a must-win in game two. Meatchicken gots a lot of questions, but so did Bama. Both away games, both in Blueblood Heavens. 

Gonna be a verrrry interesting couple of weeks.

Hook'em

If you are talking about Michigan defense getting pressure on Quinn, I would expect that. If Texas gets out of that game without giving up a sack, that would be one hell of a good sign for the rest of the season. I would not bet on that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's a pretty dramatic shift in the weather for most of Texas happening today/tomorrow, bringing in cooler temps and much high ongoing likelihood of rain. I wouldn't bet the farm on an 85 degree kickoff, but low 90's is expected to be about as bad as it gets around then. 

I'm not holding my breath. Longer range forecast with dips in the numbers this time of year are notorious for becoming less pronounced as the days approach. I fully expect a 98 degree day.

38 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

That stadium is a hot box. Once they closed it in there's very little air flow

I like my west side upper deck seats for this reason.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

If you are talking about Michigan defense getting pressure on Quinn, I would expect that. If Texas gets out of that game without giving up a sack, that would be one hell of a good sign for the rest of the season. I would not bet on that. 

I am. I expect that as well, just questioning how much and how often. It has looked (and  sounded) like Ewers has gotten better at avoiding sacks and either throwing it away or hitting checkdowns, but we dunno just yet. First question there is whether the OL can keep him clean. If not, can he handle it? If he stumbles, will we see Manning early? 

Gonna be a fun game. Similar outcome to Bama 2023 wouldn't surprise me much.

48 minutes ago, Fud said:

Betting Sark to cover a big spread hasn't gone well at Texas. Sark's teams tend to play down to their competition quite a bit, and Quinn seems to come out flat against weak teams a lot. Sark also gets extremely conservative, pulls his starters, and runs out the clock when he gets up big, and PK also starts to play very conservative and give up pretty easy 7-10 play TD drives. When you add in how bad we will need to protect our RBs, I'd expect to see the transfer and walk-on RBs pretty early against CSU if we get up. 

Last year we were 30+ favorites against Rice and Wyoming, and we didn't get close to covering either of those. We were also 20+ point favorites against UH and won by 7. I would definitely be taking big underdogs to cover against us until Sark and PK show a philosophy shift when they get up big. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Left KU in Sept 2021...

Gardner spent the past two seasons with SMU, rushing for just 505 combined yards and two scores in a limited role.

Prior to that, he was in Kansas for three years. After playing 10 games as a freshman with the Jayhawks, he played six the following year and then just three in 2021, which marked his final season with the program. 

In his college career, Gardner has rushed for a total of 1,024 yards with six scores, but he could enter a perfect situation in Austin after the recent injury woes. 

Yup. Hes beaten Texas (2021), so he’s clearly good enough to play for us…

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yup. Hes beaten Texas (2021), so he’s clearly good enough to play for us…

He’d already left Kansas (after Week 3) in 2021, so he wasn’t on the team that beat us in November. But now I’m just fucking with your joke, and for that, I’m sorry.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Austin….. Goddammit just looked again and now its a high of 95 with it being 91 at kick. Sigh

I'd take that 95 over whatever the fucking high was during Rice and Louisiana openers.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Is there a stream for this press conference?

Earth shattering stuff.

https://cottonholdings.com/news/cotton-holdings-named-title-sponsor-of-the-lone-star-showdown-rivalry-series

COTTON HOLDINGS NAMED TITLE SPONSOR OF THE LONE STAR SHOWDOWN RIVALRY SERIES

Houston, Texas (August 22, 2024) – In an exciting development for college sports fans, Cotton Holdings, Inc. has officially signed on as the title sponsor of the Lone Star Showdown rivalry series, which marks the return of one of the most iconic rivalries in collegiate athletics. This sponsorship agreement, in collaboration with Texas A&M Sports Properties and Longhorn Sports Properties, signifies a new chapter in the fierce competition between the Texas A&M Aggies and the Texas Longhorns.

As both universities are set to reunite in the Southeastern Conference (SEC) this fall, Cotton Holdings will have the honor of title sponsoring all head-to-head contests between the two schools across various sports. The rivalry series will include up to 19 sports, where the results will determine the winner of the annual Lone Star Showdown rivalry series trophy. Even in sports without direct head-to-head matchups, points will be awarded based on the final standings in respective conference championships.

The series kicks off with the first head-to-head event on September 27 in College Station with a volleyball match. However, all eyes are sure to be on the gridiron when the 119th football meeting between these two powerhouses— the first since 2011—takes place at Texas A&M’s Kyle Field on November 30.

Pete Bell, Founder & CEO of Cotton Holdings, expressed his enthusiasm about the sponsorship, stating, "Growing up in Texas, the rivalry between The University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University was legendary. Since founding Cotton, it has been a dream of mine to see our brand represent this series. We are proud to support these two great universities and are extremely honored to serve as the title sponsor for the Lone Star Showdown and the return of their historic rivalry.”

Headquartered in Houston, Cotton Holdings has been a respected member of the Texas business community since 1996. The company is a global leader in infrastructure support services, with subsidiaries specializing in property restoration, recovery, construction, roofing, consulting, temporary housing, and culinary services for both public and private entities worldwide.

As the title sponsor, Cotton Holdings will receive rights to the Lone Star Showdown and associated intellectual property from both Texas A&M and the University of Texas. The sponsorship package includes season-long fan engagement opportunities, exposure through TV and radio broadcasts, in-venue signage, and featured storytelling on social media. Additionally, both universities will benefit from annual contributions to their respective NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) activation funds, courtesy of Cotton Holdings.

Trev Alberts, Texas A&M University’s Director of Athletics, shared his excitement about the partnership, stating, “The 12th Man is ready for the return of the Lone Star Showdown, and Cotton Holdings is the ideal title sponsor of a rivalry series of this stature. Texas A&M Athletics has a long history with Cotton Holdings, and it is a home-grown, Texas-based company with a global impact. We are proud to partner with an organization that shares our values and commitment to excellence.”

Chris Del Conte, UT’s Vice President and Lois and Richard Athletics Director, echoed similar sentiments, emphasizing the importance of the rivalry and Cotton Holdings' role in amplifying it: “Rekindling our historic rivalry with Texas A&M and bringing that back for not only our fans but fans of college sports across our great state, the country, and the world, is so special. And we’re so grateful our friends at Cotton Holdings are on board to help amplify that with the Lone Star Showdown rivalry series. I know our fans are going to follow the standings closely.”

ABOUT COTTON HOLDINGS, INC.

Cotton Holdings, Inc. is a leading infrastructure support services company operating within the $20 billion U.S. commercial restoration market. The company’s subsidiaries, including Cotton Global Disaster Solutions, Cotton Roofing, Cotton Logistics, Cotton Culinary, and others, provide a wide range of services, including property restoration and recovery, construction, roofing, consulting, and temporary workforce housing. With headquarters in Houston and an International Logistics Center, Cotton Holdings serves clients across North America and beyond. For more information, visit CottonHoldings.com.

ABOUT LEARFIELD

Learfield is a diversified media and technology company that powers college athletics through a combination of digital and physical platforms. Learfield partners with over 1,200 collegiate institutions and over 12,000 local and national brands, driving revenue, growth, and fan engagement. The company offers a variety of solutions, including licensed merchandise, game ticketing, donor identification for athletic programs, custom content, marketing initiatives, and NIL solutions, ensuring a 365-day, 24/7 fan experience. Since 2008, Learfield has been the title sponsor of the Learfield Directors’ Cup, supporting athletic departments across all divisions.

This all could have been handled with the above posted news release, rather than dangle some carrot, forcing understaffed and under-budgeted newsrooms to send someone to cover it.  (I get it, Cotton is paying for the dog and pony show, that’s what the money is for TM Don Draper)

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 2