2024 Fall Camp Thread - Bubble Wrap ALL THE RB

texifornia

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I had a great view of that hit and you could actually hear Kelson’s helmet spear Klatt in the head. It was glorious and wildly illegal by today’s standards. 

It was wildly illegal by 2005 standards. I was diagonally opposite from that hit, so I didn’t hear it, but that was more of a steamroller a game in all phases than any I’ve been to. Texas could’ve scored 100 in a conference championship game if Brown had wanted to. Crazy town. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Was at a wedding a couple weeks ago and met a guy that played for CU under Barnett.  He started talking a little shit, so I asked him if he remembered the 2005 game, unlike Klatt.  He changed the subject rather quickly.

Tldr - fuck CU.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Back in the day, they had a great basketball program for their size.

Edit: I forgot how great: 10 state championships, including 7 straight from 1978-1984.

They didn't just win titles in their classification which was B and then 1A they would go to 4A tournaments and kick ass and they were never very tall, just fucking good.  I believe there was an article about them in Sports Illustrated back then. When they came out of the locker room before games they would run around the court with a rhythmic clapping and just intimidate the hell  out of the other team. Memories, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I need a dr to tell me this is really good news

Haha. I guess it could qualifiy by virtue of changing previously bad news in a way that subtracts some old bad (PCL, apparently good chance of complete PLC) that seems to outweigh new bad (I don't remember previous mention of ACL).

Burton

Spoiler

Last night I was on a panel with three former Longhorn players - Tony Hills, Alex Okafor and Fozzy Whittaker - at the Dallas Texas Exes season kick-off event.

Not only was it a great event, but as I was sitting up there, I started thinking about how uplifting it was to see all three of those men up there, years after playing for Texas, succeeding in life and talking positively about their experiences as Longhorns.

That was just great to witness. Hats off to the Dallas Texas-Exes, and Doug Rice in particular, for putting it all together.

One thing Fozzy said last night that caught my ear. Fozzy said he was talking to Tashard Choice last week. And Choice told him that Jerrick Gibson is the best pass protector of the bunch.

From Fozzy's mouth to God's ear.

Hope that proves to be the case this year because Quinn Ewers needs a big back to step up in that role.

Tomorrow will be what amounts to a simulated game-day experience for the Longhorns.

From soup to nuts. That means certain pre-game rituals as well as walk-throughs on the field.

Yes, there will also be some actual football work going on, too.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Haha. I guess it could qualifiy by virtue of changing previously bad news in a way that subtracts some old bad (PCL, apparently good chance of complete PLC) that seems to outweigh new bad (I don't remember previous mention of ACL).

can you just say he'll be 100% by fall camp next year?  jeez.

Q&A stuff from IT that I don't think has been posted yet.

Inside Texas took a number of questions from the board and posed them to our trusted sources. I’m glad we did, because had our wires crossed on a pretty important piece of information. We’ll start with that.

Who is the player that we aren’t discussing right now that we will be discussing in December? – @shanew21

Answer: DeAndre Moore.

It appears, according to this source, the likely starting three will be DeAndre Moore in the slot and Isaiah Bond and Matthew Golden outside. I think the similarities in Golden and Silas Bolden‘s names threw us off, at least in the last week or so.

What does this mean for other receivers? “Silas Bolden will get ‘starter’ reps no matter what. Johntay Cook is competing with Golden outside.”

Pretty interesting. He didn’t say it but that means Ryan Wingo is behind Bond which we already suspected.

Sounds like “best three” will start situation and then they just made the pieces fit. IT will continue to follow up on this.

Is there anyone who will start the season as a 2nd or 3rd string, but will be starting by OU? – @joemalcom

“With the receivers being interchangeable that’s really hard to predict but one of those second-team guys could easily emerge. Ethan Burke is another candidate because if he plays really well he could overtake either Edge position. That’s not a prediction but Burke is talented enough to start.” 

How would you rank the WRs as run blockers? – @Brisketsammich

“It depends on what you’re looking for. Silas Bolden has the most want-to, he’s just small; best blocker is probably Moore. Golden has ability but has to be more consistent. Wingo needs better technique but he’s a good blocker. Cook puts up a fight.”

Will Jahdae Barron be a better corner than Ryan Watts? How would you describe the differences between their styles of play? – @Brisketsammich

“Barron is a gamer with great feel for the position. He might play something wrong on purpose and then go make a play. Barron’s better when the ball is in the air. Watts better in man and carrying a vertical route. Overall, Barron moved better in pads, changing directions.”

At the end of the year, who will be our most valuable player on defense? Anthony Hill? Trey Moore? If Moore is as good as advertised, he could win some games for us late in games with pressure/sacks/forced fumbles. – @Zombie_slayer

“Alfred Collins. It’s the SEC, you have to have somebody up front. Moore, if he can get to the quarterback, he’ll get all the acclaim.”

This source has zero concerns over Moore’s size. “He and Cameron Williams trade reps.”

How’s Malik Agbo developing? Still a jumbo TE this his year or do you see him working his way into the OL depth chart? – @btown1110

“If they went back to that Andrej Karic package they would still use him but he’s an offensive lineman now. They have him at tackle.” 

What is a “Superpower” this Texas team may have that not enough are discussing? What is a “Kryptonite” that may surprisingly hamper us (EG redzone conversion struggles last year)?

What “went wrong” if Texas doesn’t end up being a factor nationally? To be clear, I don’t give a **** about the 80-team playoff, I mean being discussed as potentially the best team in the country toward the end of the season, regardless of ultimate ranking. – @GoHornsGo90

Superpower: “Really good QB, team depth.”

I posed a follow up, can Quinn Ewers lead this team to a National Championship. “Oh yeah, there have been some plays the last 10 days where you could have had the best DB in the NFL on the receiver and nobody is making a play because of how good the ball was thrown.”

Kryptonite: “They can’t read their own headlines, especially when things are going well. They’re the only ones that can stop them from making a deep playoff run. Make sure egos are kept in check and everyone plays for the common goal. The better you are, the more nervous you can be due to expectations. You have to play loose but still keep your focus week to week.”

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Excited about the season but fuck that orange smoke choking everybody in the stands.

fuck everybody in the stands....If the smoke gets our guys fired up....well....fuck everybody in the stands....

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/23/2024 at 9:38 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Sorry, Joel, we would beat the fuck out of Will Howard… again.

Will Howard fucking torched Texas last year lol. Texas was fortunate that Collin Klien was determined to not have him do so for nearly a full half of football.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Will Howard fucking torched Texas last year lol. Texas was fortunate that Collin Klien was determined to not have him do so for nearly a full half of football.

Our backup literally helped win that game, aside from Byron Murphy and Sweat going full Aaron Donald and fucking that dude up. 

We're gonna have an amazing season, and we'll have 3-4 guys drafted in the first round. Banks, Ewers, possibly Bond and Cam Williams. If that doesn't help recruiting after winning the wrong things, I don't know what to say. 

I do hope we can set in on the Chris Henry Jr sweepstakes. He's been in contact with the staff and wants to get down to a game, so it's progress. 

My favorite time of the year. I started the game week thread and we move on from this cock tease of a thread to the normal rhythms of college football. Let us go ahead and go 16-0 and win the first SEC title and first real and legitimate (structurally) college football title ever. 16-1 guarantees a  title (only way we would play 17 would be to lose the sec title but win the national title), and 15-1 if we lose a regular season game won’t displease me either as both guarantee a title. What a time to be alive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Torched isn't how i would describe that performance. He was getting dominated until Maalik starting giving them the ball with a short field. We also saw poor blocking and Terrence Brooks doing Terrence Brooks things.