Sonic has fucking smashburgers now?

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Hell yea first high school job was Braums in Denton. Had some fun in that place

I ate there just about every day in high school.  

I miss Braum's.

23 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Sonic has been garbage for years, with about 3,000 mg of salt in a burger. I’m skeptical of these new claims. 

Sonic's drinks have always slammed, food always mediocre.

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I ate there just about every day in high school.  

I miss Braum's.

Sonic's drinks have always slammed, food always mediocre.

This disrespect of the primary fast food joint to sell fresh, crispy tator tots will not stand, man.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This disrespect of the primary fast food joint to sell fresh, crispy tator tots will not stand, man.

This.  Thank you!

Tater Tots Order GIF by Eternal Family

When I was in high school in Austin back in the day, you could get a Sonic Brown Bag special for $4 when they were running the promotion.  That's 2 burgers, 2 fries, and 2 drinks, for $4.  My buddies and I would hit it up at lunchtime every day for the entire duration of those promos, which was usually a month or so per semester, and we would feast.

But then they started sponsoring AISD by providing book covers, along with ButterKrust Bakery, and Big Red soft drink.  But on the Sonic book cover, they'd include a coupon for a burger/fries/drink combo for $2.  On the first day of school, my friends and I raided every single pile of Sonic bookcovers in the school, and cut out that Sonic coupon from each one, and then discarded the mangled and molested book cover carcasses back on the pile.  We had hundreds of those coupons and then we didn't even need the Brown Bag Special.  Twas glorious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Hat Creek is the best drive-through burger place around.  Smash-style, double patties and tots.  Fucks hard.  

Never heard of this place and it's close by. I'll have to try it out after looking at their menu. 

• Drool 1

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But then they started sponsoring AISD by providing book covers, along with ButterKrust Bakery, and Big Red soft drink.

Don't remember the Sonic bookcovers, but I do remember the ButterKrust and Big Red ones. This harkens back to seventh grade. I'd never had a Big Red before, and staring at those bookcovers all day long inspired a serious thirst. By eighth grade, I was a Big Red addict.

And we used to scratch out the "er" in ButterKrust and color the covers accordingly. We were very artistic like that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And we used to scratch out the "er" in ButterKrust and color the covers accordingly. We were very artistic like that.

If you didn't turn "ButterKrust" into "ButtKrust," you're not the kind of person I want to know.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

In n Out bumps. And its like 2 dollars cheaper than everyone else.
But unless you get there and get in line at about 1015, good fucking luck
It bumps? Is that good or bad?

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

In n Out bumps. And its like 2 dollars cheaper than everyone else.

But unless you get there and get in line at about 1015, good fucking luck

And tastes 4 dollars cheaper.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

I thought their fries were packing peanuts.  Actually, packing peanuts would be an upgrade on In-n-Out fries.

During the last school year, my daughter got a coupon for a free Braums combo meal from her teacher that we finally got around to cashing in the other day. Ordered their bacon cheeseburger combo and was blown away by how good it was.  Crisp lettuce and tomato, bacon with a crunch, hot and juicy burger cooked perfectly, cheese that didn't need 10 seconds in the microwave to get melty (cough cough whataburger cough). The crinkle-cut fries were burn your fingers hot and perfectly salted.  All the staff were very friendly and competent.  Oh, and I could walk over and get a double-dip mint chocolate chip in a waffle cone for dessert.  We all left very impressed. A++ all around, Braums.

Back when Braums had the 1/3 lb as the standard versus the 1/4 now, it was easily the best ff burger. They messed with the size and it’s still good, but the ratio is just off a little now. Best bacon on a burger still though.

Edited by Covri
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Hat Creek is the best drive-through burger place around.  Smash-style, double patties and tots.  Fucks hard.  

Hat Creek is good. 

Which ones have drive thrus, though? Always saw it as a counter-serve spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/30/2024 at 9:39 PM, immamac said:

Holy shit, I had one today as I dropped in for half price burger night and was surprised to see it on the menu. 

It was a banger, best fast food burger I've possibly ever had. You should go try it.

Sonic Releases an All-New Two-Patty Smash Burger: the Sonic Smasher (foodandwine.com)

info about it in food and wine.

image.png

Austin Powers Get In My Belly GIF by Chris Cimino

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Texans need to take in-N-out down a peg is never not funny.

I don’t get it, they make good burgers. I think the hype gets overdone sometimes, but that doesn’t make the burgers not good. If it was protectionist for Whataburger, that seems over since it’s not Texas owned anymore and my understanding is that the quality has dropped significantly in Texas and they are what non-Texas Whataburgers have been for decades. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Only on Surly, in Daily Texan no less, is the quality and taste of fast food burger chains along the hotness of Heather Graham debated for 2 pages.

This place chock full of nut bags. Please note I'm not excluding myself in that observation. Further, the number Braums ties to posters was rather surprising given the limited locations in Texas.

Up next, Taco Beuno vs other fast food tacos. Let the vitriol begin!!! 

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Further, the number Braums ties to posters was rather surprising given the limited locations in Texas.

They have 110 locations in North Texas, mainly D/FW area.

58 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Only on Surly, in Daily Texan no less, is the quality and taste of fast food burger chains along the hotness of Heather Graham debated for 2 pages.

This place chock full of nut bags. Please note I'm not excluding myself in that observation. Further, the number Braums ties to posters was rather surprising given the limited locations in Texas.

Up next, Taco Beuno vs other fast food tacos. Let the vitriol begin!!! 

Taco Casa > Taco Bueno

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don’t get it, they make good burgers. I think the hype gets overdone sometimes, but that doesn’t make the burgers not good. If it was protectionist for Whataburger, that seems over since it’s not Texas owned anymore and my understanding is that the quality has dropped significantly in Texas and they are what non-Texas Whataburgers have been for decades. 

Yeah Whataburger is wildly inconsistent now and if I want to sit in my car and wait 20 min for a burger, I’ll go somewhere local/mom and pop 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah Whataburger is wildly inconsistent now and if I want to sit in my car and wait 20 min for a burger, I’ll go somewhere local/mom and pop 

It's been that way outside of Texas for decades. An OSU football player was arrested for DUI a few years ago after passing out in the drive thru line at Whataburger. Pretty much everyone around here understood. "Hell, he probably would have been sober by the time he got to the window."

Edited by 'stache
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Local mom and pops aren't typically open at 2 AM.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Sonics 8 count jalapeno poppers w/ ranch is still a must-order. Really great for a road trip. Otherwise, f that place.

their snacks are much better than their burgers imo.  the frito pie wrap with jalapenos is a guilty pleasure.

• Like 1

Fasted for a blood draw, and afterwards thought I’d splurge and try a Sonic ssmashburger. Was told mine was the first  that particular Sonic had sold. Three patties, melted cheese, jalapeños. It was good, but not Short Stop good, much less Dan’s good.

The issue with In n Out is location. I used to live in California . I can tell you their food tastes different eating it outside near the pacific in Huntingdon beach vs along 635 in Dallas. I’m fine with a double double animal style but their fries suck. I cut literally a million pounds of potatoes at McDonalds in the 70’s and in n out just doesn’t cook them right. They also use the wrong potato. Nothing makes them better.

Those McDonald’s fries were the best. Hand cut in store, double fried like frites, in beef tallow. Long gone. Their Coke is still the best; it was specially formulated by Ray Kroc and Coke to deal with ice melt.

• Drool 1

On 7/31/2024 at 2:20 PM, Dbeasy said:

Sonic has been garbage for years, with about 3,000 mg of salt in a burger. I’m skeptical of these new claims. 

The last time I tried Sonic was about 5 years ago. I dont know if that was just a bad location (burnet/anderson), but it was so disgustingly salty, I threw half of it away and have never set foot in one again. Top Notch was just down the road, but I thought I'd save myself some time. That was a bad call. 

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

the frito pie wrap with jalapenos is a guilty pleasure.

Yeah those things are fucking good. Diced onions is a good add.

3 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I can tell you their food tastes different eating it outside near the pacific in Huntingdon beach vs along 635 in Dallas.

bla-bla-blond.gif.43353f1faadf72a0a9f83b8323def96b.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2