"Frankly, it's Wichita Falls"

RPM

Wichita County District Attorney John Gillespie has a serious hiring dilemma on his hands.

He told county commissioners on Tuesday a firm he used to search for an assistant DA made 900 contacts and couldn’t find a single candidate who wanted to apply for the position.

“I said is there a salary thing we need to talk about, and they said, frankly, it’s Wichita Falls,” Gillespie told the commissioners. “I love our community. I’m just being blunt with the situation and the legal environment we’re in.”

Wichita County District Attorney John Gillespie told county commissioners he cannot find attorneys who want to work in his office.

His remarks came as he asked the commissioners to raise the salaries of eight of his assistants to $95,000 each to retain them.

“I don’t think this would fix the applications, but I can’t have anyone leaving right now,” Gillespie said. “I’m just trying to triage.”

Gillespie said law schools are turning out fewer lawyers so there’s a greater demand.

“We’ve been down two positions that we essentially get no applicants for. At a minimum, we’ll be down four by the end of the year, and we just don’t get resumes,” he said.

The grant would cover salary increases through the rest of 2024, but commissioners would have to budget $760,000 to carry the raises through 2025.

Gillespie’s first assistant district attorney, Dobie Kosub, faces no opponent in the November general election and is expected to become 89th District Court judge on Jan. 1. Another prosecutor is leaving for the military.

Commissioners passed the request unanimously.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Still - "His remarks came as he asked the commissioners to raise the salaries of eight of his assistants to $95,000 each to retain them". Are we talkin' secretaries or assistant DAs?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Any time I have to go there to see the in-laws, I wonder how it still exists. I guess oil and gas, the military base, and being on the way to Amarillo are about its only qualities to justify still existing. To me, it's the 5th level of Hell. You could offer me a million dollars to live there and I would turn you down. The only benefit would be being just a little bit closer to Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyon. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Any time I have to go there to see the in-laws, I wonder how it still exists. I guess oil and gas, the military base, and being on the way to Amarillo are about its only qualities to justify still existing. To me, it's the 5th level of Hell. You could offer me a million dollars to live there and I would turn you down. The only benefit would be being just a little bit closer to Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyon. 

Midwestern State University plays pretty good soccer.

It's all I got, and only because a family member played for them.

• Hook 'Em 2

What is there not to love?

Wichita Falls is a city in northern Texas. In the center, the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum honors notable wrestlers and displays memorabilia. Nearby, the narrow, 4-story Newby-McMahon Building is nicknamed the “world's littlest skyscraper.” Set along a bend of the Wichita River, Lucy Park has playgrounds, a pool and a man-made waterfall. The River Bend Nature Center has nature trails and exhibits.

Posted (edited)

I live exactly half way between WF and FW. Growing up there were people that went to FW to party and those that went to WF to party. Never understood the latter. There was nothing to fucking do there. Meanwhile FW had Northside, the University District, Downtown and a bunch of neighborhood shit to do. 

4 minutes ago, baboso said:

As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls.

So fucking close. Go stand behind an RV.

edit: My bad, didn't know the album. I was referencing the movie.

54510d022fdef0f61b0a4cc4a9d4056f.jpg

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Drove through it for the first time in a while earlier this year.

Really sad, feels more like the deep south or rust belt than typical small/midsized city in Texas.

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

The bigger issue here is, why can't a guy with the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame in his town not cut a better promo?  

Well...

Wichita County District Attorney John Gillespie told county commissioners he cannot find attorneys who want to work in his office.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

What is there not to love?

Wichita Falls is a city in northern Texas. In the center, the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum honors notable wrestlers and displays memorabilia. Nearby, the narrow, 4-story Newby-McMahon Building is nicknamed the “world's littlest skyscraper.” Set along a bend of the Wichita River, Lucy Park has playgrounds, a pool and a man-made waterfall. The River Bend Nature Center has nature trails and exhibits.

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Screenshot_20240801-093437_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

Quite frankly, I'd move to Houston in a heartbeat over Wichita Falls and it's well documented how much I hate Houston.

That's like choosing between between being constipated or having exploding diarrhea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

still never understood how in 1931 the family crossed from Mexico and said yea let’s just stop here

It kept getting worse. Or the mule died. Maybe both.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Unfortunately this is happening across the country as small towns and larger ones lose population. These towns will be like cicely Alaska and have to recruit debt ridden students. My dentist cousin went into the PHS to rid herself of debt and was in Lawton OK for awhile. Her husband was with Texas pardons and parole and commuted to WF.

• Hook 'Em 2

Man after spending summers on the family watermelon farm in Munday and the lumber yard in Rhineland Wichita Falls felt like New York. Those places suck ass
 still never understood how in 1931 the family crossed from Mexico and said yea let’s just stop here

I’ll one up you. My first ancestor in the US left New York City for Cuero, Texas.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Man after spending summers on the family watermelon farm in Munday and the lumber yard in Rhineland Wichita Falls felt like New York. Those places suck ass

Likewise, someone has to explain to me the Italian migration to Collie Station.  Clearly something took a very wrong direction and we ended up with the Liucci family offspring. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

In high school we used to drive to Wichita Falls to buy Coors.

Do you actually drive or did you and your daddy pay the Bandit to do it?

48 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Unfortunately this is happening across the country as small towns and larger ones lose population. These towns will be like cicely Alaska and have to recruit debt ridden students. My dentist cousin went into the PHS to rid herself of debt and was in Lawton OK for awhile. Her husband was with Texas pardons and parole and commuted to WF.

Lawton is a true shithole.  It's like Wichita Falls, but it's in Oklahoma. 

Terribad.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

Houston has the same problem.  Frankly.

You sure about that? Or just the legal profession? I’ve spent 25 years in the healthcare industry and Houston has been the easiest market for me to recruit to in my career.

Dad grew up there, and played at Old High under Joe Golding. I’ve got fond memories of WF as a kid, dove hunting, learning how to catch ground squirrels. My first ever alcoholic beverage was a red draw at P2, when I was 13 years old. Pretty much all I’ve got. Pops disowned his hometown last year when they did away with Wichita Falls High School.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Midwestern State University plays pretty good soccer.

I had never been there until my kid got a soccer tryout a couple of years ago.  Blew out his ankle 20 minutes in.  Coach was cool, he said he had a spot the following year after he healed up -- uh, thanks, I think we're done with soccer.

Weird campus.  Very recently renovated in a beat up town.

Lawton is a true shithole.  It's like Wichita Falls, but it's in Oklahoma. 
Terribad.

How would you like to commute daily from Lawton to Wichita Falls, deal with shithead methhead parolees all day, then drive back to Lawton, to hear your wife complaining about the bad teeth on the rez and doing nothing but extractions, and the artillery booming at the fort? He often thought about just driving off the bridge into the red river. And do it again the next day and the next …,
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Texzilla588 said:

How would you like to commute daily from Lawton to Wichita Falls, deal with shithead methhead parolees all day, then drive back to Lawton, to hear your wife complaining about the bad teeth on the rez and doing nothing but extractions, and the artillery booming at the fort? He often thought about just driving off the bridge into the red river.

I would not like.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9527audnzfqehkhjqar8t

• Like 1
  • Haha 1