"Frankly, it's Wichita Falls"

RPM

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Man after spending summers on the family watermelon farm in Munday and the lumber yard in Rhineland Wichita Falls felt like New York. Those places suck ass

still never understood how in 1931 the family crossed from Mexico and said yea let’s just stop here

My Grandmother was born in Munday and a bunch of her family settled in Haskell, Rule and Rochester.  

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

How would you like to commute daily from Lawton to Wichita Falls, deal with shithead methhead parolees all day, then drive back to Lawton, to hear your wife complaining about the bad teeth on the rez and doing nothing but extractions, and the artillery booming at the fort? He often thought about just driving off the bridge into the red river. And do it again the next day and the next …,

Wife musta been hotter than Salma Hayek and Linda Carter combined.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

You sure about that? Or just the legal profession? I’ve spent 25 years in the healthcare industry and Houston has been the easiest market for me to recruit to in my career.

I am speaking specifically about the DA's office hiring new grads (under Ogg).

57 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Wichita Falls is the Laredo of North Texas

And fuck the cops in Holliday and Henrietta. 

Sounds like you haven’t been to Laredo in a long time. Northeast side has all the nice neighborhoods and chain restaurants of any typical US suburb, coupled with really really good Mexican food. It’s a cool little city.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Man after spending summers on the family watermelon farm in Munday and the lumber yard in Rhineland Wichita Falls felt like New York. Those places suck ass

still never understood how in 1931 the family crossed from Mexico and said yea let’s just stop here

Got some of that "WTF, why did you move there?" in my ancestry.  Two grandparents born/lived/died in Munday, the other two born/lived/died in Rhineland. 

Growing up, Dad worked on the watermelon and potato farms in the area.  Would have been the mid-60s as he was born in '48 (happy 76th today, Dad.  RIP). Mom's crew was cousins of the Zeissels, unfortunately no ownership in their fertilizer business. But Mom and dem all got out, educated, and did pretty good for themselves.  

Mom and Dad married at St Joseph's in Rhineland, I was baptized there just a few months later, heh.  Then on to bigger and better things in The Big WF, where I spent the next 20ish years. Fowler, McNiel, Rider, 2 years at MSU, and finally enough balls to gtfo and down to The Forty.

We may not know each other, but we definitely had relatives who knew each other. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

John is a HS classmate of mine.  Only recently did I see he was the DA there.  Seems like he has been doing a lot of good up there, but without the Air Force base that place might die.  

Midwestern is mostly full of non-trads from the surrounding communities.  

I'm always shocked that there is another Burk grad on here besides my brother.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

My Grandmother was born in Munday and a bunch of her family settled in Haskell, Rule and Rochester.  

My Dad's from out there.  Mattson.  Doesn't exist as a community any longer.  My grandmother settled in Weinert after Mattson dried up.  She's buried at Haskell.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Man, my aunt and uncle lived all around there (wildcatter), Vernon, Electra, then they hit it pretty big and settled in WF, where my cousin grew up.

I used to go visit them every summer and my aunt after she was widowed.  This was before the extended oil bust of the 80s wreaked its havoc.

Granted, it was the view of a 7th grader, at the latest, but I used to enjoy Wichita Falls and have fond memories of it.

31 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Got some of that "WTF, why did you move there?" in my ancestry.  Two grandparents born/lived/died in Munday, the other two born/lived/died in Rhineland. 

Growing up, Dad worked on the watermelon and potato farms in the area.  Would have been the mid-60s as he was born in '48 (happy 76th today, Dad.  RIP). Mom's crew was cousins of the Zeissels, unfortunately no ownership in their fertilizer business. But Mom and dem all got out, educated, and did pretty good for themselves.  

Mom and Dad married at St Joseph's in Rhineland, I was baptized there just a few months later, heh.  Then on to bigger and better things in The Big WF, where I spent the next 20ish years. Fowler, McNiel, Rider, 2 years at MSU, and finally enough balls to gtfo and down to The Forty.

We may not know each other, but we definitely had relatives who knew each other. 

Username and whatnot 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

That's like choosing between being constipated or having exploding diarrhea

Burkburnett

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

My Dad's from out there.  Mattson.  Doesn't exist as a community any longer.  My grandmother settled in Weinert after Mattson dried up.  She's buried at Haskell.  

I still go out to Rule every year for dove season.  Big extended family party weekend for us.   Always good times.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sounds like you haven’t been to Laredo in a long time. Northeast side has all the nice neighborhoods and chain restaurants of any typical US suburb, coupled with really really good Mexican food. It’s a cool little city.

I am more of a downtown Laredo type guy. Stay in that old office-building hotel near the bus station, and stroll over to On The Rocks Tavern to hear some punk bands. The downtown stores are bustling, unlike most of Texas US.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Boy, I bet I could live like a king in Wichita Falls.

Reminds me of a friend who got an accountant job in Haleyville, up in Winston County aka The Free State of Winston as I was first told by a girl with North Alabama Box Face. My friend said if you wore a tie (which he did,) you got treated like the President of France. Anything was possible. Also it took about 11 cents a week to live well there.

But then he had a mental breakdown, semi-recovered, then got destroyed by alcohol and died.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

25 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Reminds me of a friend who got an accountant job in Haleyville, up in Winston County aka The Free State of Winston as I was first told by a girl with North Alabama Box Face. My friend said if you wore a tie (which he did,) you got treated like the President of France. Anything was possible. Also it took about 11 cents a week to live well there.

But then he had a mental breakdown, semi-recovered, then got destroyed by alcohol and died.

The last sentence probably should be Haleyville's Wikipedia page, full stop.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

Wichita Falls is the Laredo of North Texas
And fuck the cops in Holliday and Henrietta. 

Fuck the ticket mill known as Claude TX between Amarillo and WF. Defines shithole. Tickets are the only rev source. They line em up on 287. Their speed guns go out 5 digits so if you’re driving 35.00017 you’ll get a bigass ticket. All assholes. The whole town. Fuck you Claude.
  • Hook 'Em 2

My dad and his siblings were born in Munday, they moved to Handley in 34 (now East FTW.). My grandfather’s family farmed out there. I guess the well water out there had tons of calcium in it and hence their teeth were like steel.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Fuck the ticket mill known as Claude TX between Amarillo and WF.

Estelline says "Hold my beer. Hey, that's an open container!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Premise of OP is spot on.  I work in medical malpractice insurance and have a client in WF that is in a real bind.  They need to add a provider to their roster, and there is only 1 available in the whole region (w/ that specialty), but he's almost uninsurable.  They're going to end up paying through the nose for a guy who will work maybe 25 days a year for them.  100 miles from anywhere anyone really wants to live, especially anyone w/ real earning power.

30 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Premise of OP is spot on.  I work in medical malpractice insurance and have a client in WF that is in a real bind.  They need to add a provider to their roster, and there is only 1 available in the whole region (w/ that specialty), but he's almost uninsurable.  They're going to end up paying through the nose for a guy who will work maybe 25 days a year for them.  100 miles from anywhere anyone really wants to live, especially anyone w/ real earning power.

It's easy to poke fun of a place that is going thru a bad time, but the truth is this is a big problem, and it appears it's only going to get worse for places like WF.  As we continue to urbanize, places like this just going to keep getting left behind.  Rural America is largely devoid of professional services, and now mid size America is getting left in the dust.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2024 at 11:01 AM, Zepol87 said:

Some damn good hunting around Munday/Weinert/Rule.  Some of the best waterfowl hunting I've ever done.  Good for dove and Sandhill Crane also.  And surprisingly good deer country.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BamaATL said:

It's easy to poke fun of a place that is going thru a bad time, but the truth is this is a big problem, and it appears it's only going to get worse for places like WF.  As we continue to urbanize, places like this just going to keep getting left behind.  Rural America is largely devoid of professional services, and now mid size America is getting left in the dust.  

Which will sow further discord between rural and urban America. We need to be making investments in rural infrastructure (digital, education, healthcare, etc) to make sure those folks have access to services and ability to earn a living in professional services not just as a corrections officer at the local for profit prison or as a cashier at the Wal-Mart.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Which will sow further discord between rural and urban America. We need to be making investments in rural infrastructure (digital, education, healthcare, etc) to make sure those folks have access to services and ability to earn a living in professional services not just as a corrections officer at the local for profit prison or as a cashier at the Wal-Mart.

I don't disagree....but....to what end?  "Healthcare?"  When our model is for-profit, it's next to impossible to run a for-profit healthcare provider in a community that is too small and too poor to support it.  Education?  We've decided that schools are bullshit, and especially rural schools.  While those remain the anchor and often largest employer in rural areas, we're doing everything we can to yank the rug out from under those.  And, it's a death spiral - as people move away, the schools become more fragmented and fragile and undersupported....which causes more people to bail.  Digital work?  Sure, some folks with good internet can do a few remote jobs....but if they can live anywhere....why would they choose to stay in places that don't offer much?

Small towns had their heyday when small to medium agricultural operations were at their peak.  Now that you need a giant operation to provide a decent living, and farm labor has largely been automated, there's no reason for Small Farm Town, USA to have 5,000 people.  1200 is more than enough.  Except 1200 isn't enough to support a sustainable town.

There's no easy magic sauce for helping or fixing small-town America.  That sucks, and is a problem for a shitload of our fellow Americans, and thus is a problem for all of us.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Rural America doesn't vote for the political party that prioritizes those things.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Rural America doesn't vote for the political party that prioritizes those things.

I mean, without going CR....yes, it's staggering how much of rural America's pain is self-inflicted.  BUT...a lot (maybe most) of that pain isn't subject to attribution to a particular "team" or another.  Agriculture was never going to stick with the "small family farm" model.  It isn't economically sustainable.  And that factor alone is a brutal blow to rural America.  The rise of Wal-Mart and the death of Main Street businesses?  That ain't a one-party thing, it's been decades in the making.  Yes, there are some specifics that are partisan (the suicide of continuing support for a group that wants to destroy public education, for example), but most of it is just a tide that's been coming and is going to keep coming.

• Hook 'Em 1