Why is the business board low traffic?

The casual viewer has no clue what McCombs would mean in the context of a board.  

Just put money and stocks or both in the name.   It grabs the eye immediately.  Sixth Street Journal looks like a mod maintenance forum.  The eyes just skip right over it.

If you want traffic, nothing related to having to have been on the forty acres.  If you like sixth steet, change lulz to sixth street.

32 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

The casual viewer has no clue what McCombs would mean in the context of a board.  

Just put money and stocks or both in the name.   It grabs the eye immediately.  Sixth Street Journal looks like a mod maintenance forum.  The eyes just skip right over it.

If you want traffic, nothing related to having to have been on the forty acres.  If you like sixth steet, change lulz to sixth street.

I both agree and disagree with the post. 6th for Lulz makes sense but how many guys that have been here since 2018 see the change. I only visit it to see what Doomlet is writing on his homework these days. 

The casual viewer certainly isn’t associating 6th with business so the claim that Mccombs would be the same is unfounded. 

I would assume the goal is to attract other SEC fans to grow the board so it needs to be something maybe more name specific 

I also think maybe as a sub forum like we have on food as a “Hookedin”

34 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I both agree and disagree with the post. 6th for Lulz makes sense but how many guys that have been here since 2018 see the change. I only visit it to see what Doomlet is writing on his homework these days. 

The casual viewer certainly isn’t associating 6th with business so the claim that Mccombs would be the same is unfounded. 

I would assume the goal is to attract other SEC fans to grow the board so it needs to be something maybe more name specific 

I also think maybe as a sub forum like we have on food as a “Hookedin”

I see your points for sure.  It's a play on words, obviously....6th St Journal-Wall St Journal.  Im sure the business end of the board is at odds with the charm end of an "if you know you know" conundrum.  In my day 6th st was legendary and outside of the several niche bars, it was the go-to, though I likely skew older than the avg Surler.

I would imagine as we attract lurkers from the SEC, they will think its a bar/entertainment forum and then see its more about business and move along. I dont think, and i could be wrong, many SEC football types will come back to this site for non-football /recruiting, but I know that's the point....to create engagement across a spectrum of disciplines and thus retention.  We all get it, but we know the history of ATX and will stay here b/c the content across the site is outstanding...I may be in the minority, but  I rarely use Reddit, as I can get all I need right here.

sigh...cuteness refers to mccombs or sixth street.  anything trying to be UT related.

Business and Markets is fine.  I still think Stocks and Money are more eye catching.

Why not experiment?  Try one for a while and then another.

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

If you really want traffic why not

Free Pussy Here

Young Wet Bitches

Lonely Fit Wimmenz Seek Fat Regard

Ok so what about a button that shows up that says sign up or dismiss ads for 5 minutes that shows up after ads are showing for 30s. So every 5 minutes you get 30s of ads. You can leave them or send them away for 5 mins. 

8 hours ago, immamac said:

Ok so what about a button that shows up that says sign up or dismiss ads for 5 minutes that shows up after ads are showing for 30s. So every 5 minutes you get 30s of ads. You can leave them or send them away for 5 mins. 

Without any idea what kind of effort that takes to develop, why not try it?  I can see that working personally if I was a lurker

I don’t have anything to add to adtalk….

However I agree with the amount of business knowledge among members of this board (now that we have been working for 25+ years), I am always surprised how little traffic this board gets. Thanks for getting this discussion started. 

• immamac unpinned this topic

@immamac just an FYI, I don't see this forum show up in the section listing. 

Screenshot_20240811_083118_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5b36660e840ca02d50e000fa35b64a5b.jpg

Another thing I noticed is the sub forums for cities under food, or books/video games under Hobbies don't show up either, and you have to filter to see those topics.  They aren't visible by default, which I think hurts their visibility.  Maybe that's intentional, but I think the Hobbies should all be one topic.  

19 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

@immamac just an FYI, I don't see this forum show up in the section listing. 

Screenshot_20240811_083118_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5b36660e840ca02d50e000fa35b64a5b.jpg

Another thing I noticed is the sub forums for cities under food, or books/video games under Hobbies don't show up either, and you have to filter to see those topics.  They aren't visible by default, which I think hurts their visibility.  Maybe that's intentional, but I think the Hobbies should all be one topic.  

You guys realize that those are quick shortcuts and the forum root is the main navigation right? 

4 hours ago, immamac said:

You guys realize that those are quick shortcuts and the forum root is the main navigation right? 

very few of us know that.  why can't you just fucking change it?  why do you always pretend you don't understand issues?

jfc.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

very few of us know that.  why can't you just fucking change it?  why do you always pretend you don't understand issues?

jfc.

What? Because I don't understand how it is that this is the only place you know how to use to navigate the site. It's not even part of the site it's something I added for shortcuts when you are the bottom of a page. There are breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page for each board and "home" takes you to the main topic listing.

Low traffic on this board, IMO, is due to 10-12 chuckleheads being the primary contributors. With fairly consistent perspective, and not much context other than linked from business sites. 

Not sure what would drive more traffic here, other than getting posters to sure some DD and sharing opinions like seeking alpha.  The stonk board has that type of posts, but it has slowed a bunch as well.

On 8/11/2024 at 4:39 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Low traffic on this board, IMO, is due to 10-12 chuckleheads being the primary contributors. With fairly consistent perspective, and not much context other than linked from business sites. 

Not sure what would drive more traffic here, other than getting posters to sure some DD and sharing opinions like seeking alpha.  The stonk board has that type of posts, but it has slowed a bunch as well.

I actually think the problem is that thread topics are too broad.  

Also, 50% of Surly posters are attorneys and notoriously bad with money.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1