Strongest pilot ever

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I gotta go with Lost.

Honorable mention to The West Wing and The Americans.

Not to threadjack, but The Americans is on my top three list of series I have seen, along with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

I gave up on Lost when it got ridiculous, but that pilot was nails.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Breaking bad

When I've re-watched that series, I'm always amazed at how much goes into that first episode. I remembered it as spread over three episodes or so. Just about every episode is that way. Great choice!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Game of Thrones.   First run in with White Walkers, Daenerys gets married of to Khal Drogo and gets dragon eggs, Ned chops off the head of the guy that saw the White Walkers, Stark kids get direwolf pups, Jamie fucks his sister, and the defenestration of a 10 year old boy.

Breaking Bad and Lost get honorable mention.

• Hook 'Em 6

Lost, to me sets the bar. I was hooked halfway through. 

Someone linked that Wonder Years pilot above. I remember watching that with my dad. Thanks for bringing back some good memories. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Game of Thrones.   First run in with White Walkers, Daenerys gets married of to Khal Drogo and gets dragon eggs, Ned chops off the head of the guy that saw the White Walkers, Stark kids get direwolf pups, Jamie fucks his sister, and the defenestration of a 10 year old boy.

Breaking Bad and Lost get honorable mention.

7383ca89-fbec-4ff8-a8cf-7e3b8c191486_text.gif.de2eacfe4866a8d9a8e2c0cf6aef5e5e.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LCHorn said:

image.thumb.jpeg.81b4d68e03e0ac99d9db4e1e8cefa897.jpeg

lost is one of my all time favorite shows but it took me a few episodes before i was convinced. i don’t watch a ton of TV and it’s rare that i can get into a series from network tv with how hollywooded-up everything is (eg how the characters in lost get even sexier as time goes on). i always enjoy the pilot on rewatches, but the first time around i was left very skeptical with how much traditional hollywood/network tv troping was going on. i found the pilots from shows like BB, GoT, and even The Wire to be more dripping than that of Lost.

5 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

She's dead.  Wrapped in plastic.

twin-peaks-30th-anniversaryb.jpg

It's hard to convey how electrifying Twin Peaks was when it appeared on TV. Another really good choice. Holds up pretty good, but taking it in live was the shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Greatest American Hero was pretty cool, at least it was the last time I saw it when I was about eight years old. There was a spaceship, and a magic superhero suit. And a young Connie Selleca being straight fire. What more could you want in a pilot.

• Drool 1

Greatest American Hero was pretty cool, at least it was the last time I saw it when I was about eight years old. There was a spaceship, and a magic superhero suit. And a young Connie Selleca being straight fire. What more could you want in a pilot.

And the zombie guy on the road he kept driving by.

3 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I don't know if it's the strongest total pilot, but the very first scene of the Wire is the best.

"Got to man.  It's America."

Absolutely. The only other Scene 1 Ep 1 would be “Lost.”

Posted (edited)

The “Frasier” pilot was really well done.  Set up the main characters and general tone of the show in 30 minutes.  People were wondering why Frasier went from Boston to Seattle and whether the spinoff would be worth watching.  They nailed it.

”Derry Girls” is also fucking brilliant.  Funniest pilot I’ve ever seen.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

24 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

The “Frasier” pilot was really well done.  Set up the main characters and general tone of the show in 30 minutes.  People were wondering why Frasier went from Boston to Seattle and whether the spinoff would be worth watching.  They nailed it.

”Derry Girls” is also fucking brilliant.  Funniest pilot I’ve ever seen.

fraiser was a damn great show

agree an ‘derry girls’, much easier to understand them on the 2nd watch