Strongest pilot ever

On 8/2/2024 at 11:26 AM, Spoetzl said:

ER and Justified

Bravo JustifieD, the series filmed in California but had that East Kentucky feel. Fantastic cast of hillbilly poets, hillbilly bozo crooks, comely wimmenz, Dee-troit killer thugs and downright gangsters.  Can’t lose with Elmore Leonard.  Great theme song, a la The Sopranos.  You hate to tap “skip intro.”  Raylan rules.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/2/2024 at 8:54 PM, TexasHooch said:

I like the suggestions so far, but for me it's got to be House of Cards.  Sure, the series got progressively worse as it aged, but that first episode grabbed me hard.

Classic Spacey.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

Airwolf vs Blue Thunder debate?

Airwolf - best over all 80s helicopter show, but holy fucking shit the pilot was rough for a kid in the 80s - the main baddie/Airwolf designer liked to kidnap, torture, and kill women and they showed some of it (Stringfellow's girlfriend),  and my parents stopped me from watching the whole pilot. I rewatched it not too long ago, and I was surprised at how mature it was for an 80s action show that they knew kids were going to watch.

edit: but it was a fantastic pilot - it took us all over the world, and gave us Stringfellow's backstory and his obsession with his Vietnam MIA/POW brother.

Blue Thunder - best helicopter show starring James Farentino, Dana Carvey, Bubba Smith, and Dick Butkus (and I have no idea what's going on with Farentino's leg in the photo below).

MV5BZjI3ZGYyN2UtNjc0Mi00MDFmLWIzNDQtY2Jk

Edited by atomheartbevo

52 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

TIL Dana bleepin Carvey was in a helicopter show called Blue Thunder.

I’d think you’d be more impressed that Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus were in a helicopter show called Blue Thunder.  Because of course everybody thinks Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus when it comes to shows about helicopter gunships.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had to go back and watch the Blue Thunder pilot. I vaguely remembered it and nothing good. Holy shit it was horribad, but at least Dana managed to throw a temper tantrum, "I am not a kid!" followed shortly by doing his Jimmy Stewart impersonation while giving a technical report.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’d think you’d be more impressed that Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus were in a helicopter show called Blue Thunder.  Because of course everybody thinks Bubba Smith and Dick Butkus when it comes to shows about helicopter gunships.

You know what? You're absolutely right. Had to google Bubba Smith, but holy shit. Dick Butkus?! 

• Haha 1

There are only 1 or 2 on here that I disagree with or didn't see. 

I'd add Homicide Life of the Street, which has a "movie" coming out soonish I think. Then you can stream that great show.

I was re-watching Great American Hero. Holy fuck balls is that first episode WAY stranger than I recall.

Twin Peaks... got damn that's an amazing first Episode.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are way up there. 

Never watched Lost and I just couldn't get into GOT (I know I'm a weirdo). 

Posted (edited)

On my most recent Sopranos rewatch, I appreciated the pilot more than I ever have.  That's to say that it didn't hit me hard out of the gate, but as it sits with the series, it's pretty exceptional.

Mad Men probably edges it out pretty well though.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

There are only 1 or 2 on here that I disagree with or didn't see. 

I'd add Homicide Life of the Street, which has a "movie" coming out soonish I think. Then you can stream that great show.

I was re-watching Great American Hero. Holy fuck balls is that first episode WAY stranger than I recall.

Twin Peaks... got damn that's an amazing first Episode.

Breaking Bad and The Wire are way up there. 

Never watched Lost and I just couldn't get into GOT (I know I'm a weirdo). 

I nope out of GOT when it first came out.   I was encouraged to reconsider that choice when the last season was a month or so from starting.  I binged my way through it a couple of episodes at a time and really enjoyed it.

I haven't watched it in years- but Bojack Horseman. It was late, I was really high, and had no idea what to expect. Didn't even know it was an adult cartoon. And I was fucking breathless with laughter from the start. Every joke landed for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1