Track & Field (men and women)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Probably would’ve had most of America cheering for him too

He was something else. That's why one must watch these athletes while one can ... their careers are relatively short and you never know when someone like them will come along again.

I mean, consider Wayde Van Niekirk. He surged on to the scene late in 2015 by winning the World Championships, then stormed the Rio Olympics by breaking a record many (self included) thought would last for decades, nearly cracking 43 seconds in the process.

His future was effulgent. He wins the World Championships the next year ... and then he destroys his knee in a charity rugby match a couple of months later and has never been the same since.

• Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Will be funny to watch NBC edit that butchered call for the primetime broadcast.

They never showed the graphic of finish order and times on the main broadcast.

• Rage+1 1

So I was chatting in the cycling training Discord group I'm in at the same time today's events were going on, and one guy who knows the S&C coach for tOSU wrestling team says he runs the 400 on his birthday every year to see if he can do it under a minute. Guy is same age as me and is getting perilously close to going over.

:57.9 lap around the track.
45 laps around the sun.
My legs are sore and my heart is full.
My streak stands for another year, now 11 consecutive.
Time waits for no man.
#sub60

Had us wondering what would happen if we tried it ha. Probably this.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/08/24/entertainment/kevin-hart-wheelchair-injury

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Will be funny to watch NBC edit that butchered call for the primetime broadcast.

While I do like the NBC crew, I recommend watching the world feed via Peacock and listening to Rob Walker and John Anderson.  They are great.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

While I do like the NBC crew, I recommend watching the world feed via Peacock and listening to Rob Walker and John Anderson.  They are great.

They’re good. 

i like Anderson, but something about him in that role doesnt fully click for me.

Walker is great though.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the 100M broadcast will be repeated without any amendment.  they are just going to wear that 30 seconds of fail proudly.

the real fun will be at what point do they actually put up the graphics of the fucking finish order- which as someone else said, they never fucking did and 3rd place was still unknown to the viewers because they never gave that finish list until they finally mentioned that Kerley took 3rd

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

the real fun will be at what point do they actually put up the graphics of the fucking finish order- which as someone else said, they never fucking did and 3rd place was still unknown to the viewers because they never gave that finish list until they finally mentioned that Kerley took 3rd

That was a broadcasting fail for sure, all around.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the 100M broadcast will be repeated without any amendment.  they are just going to wear that 30 seconds of fail proudly.

I was wrong the cunts edited the broadcast. 

but they still didnt fucking show the listed results for almost 90 seconds. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

The three-fastest men's 400m hurdlers easily advanced to the semis. All three are in top form--each has broken 47 seconds this season--after struggling with injuries during the post-Olympic years. 

The reigning Olympic champ and world record holder, Karsten Warholm, is looking like his former self. If you've never seen him run, he's nuts. He goes all out at the gun and finds a way to hold on. He's got the slowest flat 400 speed but he runs with so much strength that it doesn't matter. Case in point: his best 400mH time is only a second slower than his open 400m time.

Brazil's Alison dos Santos runs a more measured race. The slender, 6-foot-7 strider was the best in the world in 2022 but missed much of last season due to injury.

American Rai Benjamin was bridesmaid to Warholm at the 2019 and 2023 world championships and the 2020(21) Olympics, and he finished behind dos Santos at the 2022 World Championships. I think he's done being second fiddle. He bounced back from a mid-season injury last year to win Diamond League with 2023's fastest time and he's beaten Warholm and dos Santos multiple times this season, again posting a world-leading time. He has the fastest flat 400 time (44.2) and will feature in the men's 4x4 relay, as well.

Also representing the Red, White and Blue are CJ Allen and Trevor Bassitt. Dr. Allen easily advanced out of his heat but Bassitt ran a terrible prelim and will have to rely on a good showing in the repechage to reach the semis.

TLDR summary: this event promises to be one of the best finals of the Games. We could very likely see another world record. And if you can't crack 47 seconds, you likely have no chance of reaching the podium.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

The 100m has become (perspective- “become” to me, a young boomer. If you’re a millennial or younger, it’s always been this way) such a technical event, with detailed focus on how the sprinters come out of their blocks, at what pace their center of gravity rises to regular level, to stride lengths at different points. Weight training, upper and lower body, is done with a purpose. 

Bob Hayes ran a 10.0 in 1964, in a chewed up lane 1 and someone else’s shoes. Silver went .2 seconds slower. Upper body weight training was seen as harmful by many sprinters. Video analysis was non existant. I wonder how fast he would have been with current training?

Edited by statsman

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

The 100m has become (perspective- “become” to me, a young boomer. If you’re a millennial or younger, it’s always been this way) such a technical event, with detailed focus on how the sprinters come out of their blocks, at what pace their center of gravity rises to regular level, to stride lengths at different points. Weight training, upper and lower body, is done with a purpose. 

Bob Hayes ran a 10.0 in 1964, in a chewed up lane 1 and someone else’s shoes. Silver went .2 seconds slower. Upper body weight training was seen as harmful by many sprinters. Video analysis was non existant. I wonder how fast he would have been with current training?

I worked with Bob’s ex-wife for a bit.  She had a lot of good stories.

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And this picture only makes it even more confusing.

20 hours ago, dcar00 said:

live I though Lyles got him.  what a comeback.  dude was dead last at one point.

and yeah....no one is going to every run 9.58 again.

Noah Lyles tied for having the slowest reaction time of anyone in the field, but he still won the men's 100m final...

REACTION TIMES:
Fred Kerley 🇺🇸 - 0.108
Marcell Jacobs 🇮🇹 - 0.114
Akani Simbine 🇿🇦 - 0.149
Kenny Bednarek 🇺🇸 - 0.163
Oblique Seville 🇯🇲 - 0.171
Kishane Thompson 🇯🇲 - 0.176
Noah Lyles, Letsile Tebogo 🇺🇸🇧🇼 - 0.178

Saw this on another site. It shows the 10 meter splits from start to finish. 

Lyles was last out of the gate and still last at the 40 meter mark. Top 7 guys finish less than a tenth of a second apart.

Awesome race.

image.png.af1f0826c4ac784270e6dc716e2ee605.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Noah Lyles tied for having the slowest reaction time of anyone in the field, but he still won the men's 100m final...

REACTION TIMES:
Fred Kerley 🇺🇸 - 0.108
Marcell Jacobs 🇮🇹 - 0.114
Akani Simbine 🇿🇦 - 0.149
Kenny Bednarek 🇺🇸 - 0.163
Oblique Seville 🇯🇲 - 0.171
Kishane Thompson 🇯🇲 - 0.176
Noah Lyles, Letsile Tebogo 🇺🇸🇧🇼 - 0.178

Saw this on another site. It shows the 10 meter splits from start to finish. 

Lyles was last out of the gate and still last at the 40 meter mark. Top 7 guys finish less than a tenth of a second apart.

Awesome race.

image.png.af1f0826c4ac784270e6dc716e2ee605.png

These guys are all slow....they run 4.7 40 /s

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

These angles on the pole vault are just wild. Did they do the same thing with the high jumps where they showed the total clearance distance?

I didn't see the high jumps, but do love that aspect of the technology! 

12 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Can’t burn out to early. But if they doing 40 yards. Prolly all under 4.3

40 meters in 4.72 seconds does roughly translate to 4.3 seconds over the first 40 yards.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Wait a minute ... the world record holder in the pole vault is named Mondo DuPlantis?  That's just too good.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He's a Louisianan who wins medals and sets Olympic records for Sweden. I low-key despise him.

The Cajun Swede.  His brother played baseball at LSU

All three American men breezed through their 200m heats. Barring injury or some semi mishap, they have a legit chance of going 1-2-3 in the final.

In the women's 200m semis, Longhorn Julien Alfred of St. Lucia just cruised to a sub-22-second time.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Just came to post this.

A 4.75 40 meter = 4.34 40 yard dash.

And 100m sprinters are barely upright at the 40-meter mark.

Their focus is to build speed from 0-40/50 yards, then maintain that speed as best as possible the rest of the way. It's night and day from the 40-yard-dash the combine runs.

Speed maintenance is key. It's why Lyles excels as he's generally a poor-to-average starter but every bit as good as Bolt at staving off the inevitable decay.