Track & Field (men and women)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kipyegon was DQed from the 5k.  She is not getting a silver medal.  Officials claim she pushed Tsegay.  But the video clearly shows Tsegay cut off Kipyegon and initiated contact.  This is BS.  Diffey and Goucher were all over this, calling out Tsegay for forcing her way into Kipyegon’s line.

Pfffft….that was nothing

f08e294c89379ac6f8f9dfa7b701444d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I was mad at this dude for competing for Sweden but then I saw Swedish gf and now I understand

Yeah.. pretty sure if that showed up in my life and required me to pledge my undying loyalty to China and move to Siberia.... I would.

20 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Mondo is winning at life

IMG_1606.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

WR and a smoke Swedish girl. Good on ya bork bork bork.

Lulz, I feel like we had this exact conversation 3 years ago

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Wait a minute ... the world record holder in the pole vault is named Mondo DuPlantis?  That's just too good.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

The Cajun Swede.  His brother played baseball at LSU.

Family is from Louisiana, mother is Swedish. His dad has been his coach since forever, and Mondo wanted his dad to coach him for the Olympics. US said no. Swedes offered him $50,000 each time he broke the WR. I think today was #10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

So coool watching the three pole vault medalists with flags run around the track together...

Definitely some genuine comradery between them.

Kendricks was cheerleading by Mondo’s side the whole time he was attempting the OR and WR jumps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah.. pretty sure if that showed up in my life and required me to pledge my undying loyalty to China and move to Siberia.... I would.

That's a Swedish 7.

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Family is from Louisiana, mother is Swedish. His dad has been his coach since forever, and Mondo wanted his dad to coach him for the Olympics. US said no. Swedes offered him $50,000 each time he broke the WR. I think today was #10. 

He’s no dummy

https://www.wsj.com/sports/olympics/olympics-mondo-duplantis-pole-vault-athletics-54552cba?st=txcjsmseieeae94&reflink=article_copyURL_share

^^^
This stick out to me in that article. 

If you bet $10 before the Olympics on Team USA winning gold in men’s basketball, the reward would be $2.13. Duplantis was such an overwhelming favorite that the same $10 bet on him paid out 29 cents. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

seems like we chose poorly.  fafo, if you will

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PTINS said:

The US didn't offer him $50K to set world records, so I understand the financial incentive, but athletes are free to choose their own coaches, so that middle part seems like pure spin.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

gotta love that NBC said there was a 29 second timeframe where "the world" didnt know who won the 100M race. 

motherfuckers there was another 30+ seconds AFTER the world found out before NBC watchers found out (but clearly him celebrating and running around was the clue)

I like how NBC conviently just skipped over that 

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Kipyegon was DQed from the 5k.  She is not getting a silver medal.  Officials claim she pushed Tsegay.  But the video clearly shows Tsegay cut off Kipyegon and initiated contact.  This is BS.  Diffey and Goucher were all over this, calling out Tsegay for forcing her way into Kipyegon’s line.

This travesty was fortunately reversed. Tough gamut of emotions for the Italian bird, but the injustice of briefly having her believe that she'd won a medal she didn't earn would've paled in comparison to depriving Kipyegon of a silver she most definitely deserved.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40737167/kenya-beatrice-chebet-wins-women-5000m-olympics

Kenya's Beatrice Chebet won the gold medal in the women's Olympic 5,000 meters as she sprinted home to claim the title after a textbook performance on Monday, while her compatriot Faith Kipyegon was initially disqualified after finishing second and then later reinstated to claim the silver medal.

World champion Kipyegon had finished second in 14:29.60 but was briefly disqualified after a clash with Ethiopian world-record holder Gudaf Tsegay on the penultimate lap. She was reinstated upon appeal.

• Hook 'Em 1