Track & Field (men and women)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Here's an American-centric summary of what's on tap for tomorrow in athletics (T&F):

MORNING SESSION

Women's 1500m heats. The US sent a strong field here--Hiltz, Mackay and St. Pierre--but this will be Faith Kipyegon's event to lose. She just took silver in the 5K and is the back-to-back Olympic champion in the 1500. She also is the 1500m world record holder, having broken her previous mark a month ago in Paris.

Men's Javelin qualification. Not sure if any of our Yanks have a serious shot here, but I admittedly don't follow javelin too closely. I do recall a dude from India winning in Tokyo.

Repechage for Men's 110m Hurdles, Women's 400m, Men's 400m Hurdles and Men's 200m. Hopefully, Freddie Crittenden is 100 percent and can perform in the 110mH. He's good enough to medal. Trevor Bassitt has a second chance to reach the 400mH semis, but medals for anyone other than Benjamin, Warholm and dos Santos are unlikely. Also a second chance for Trials champ Kendall Ellis in the Women's 400m, who looked tired in her heat and underperformed.

Women's Long Jump qualification. Look for the lovely and talented Longhorn Tara Davis-Woodhall to move forward. She's the real deal and I envy Mr. Woodhall immensely.

EVENING SESSION

Men's 400m semifinals. Look for Americans Quincy Hall, Michael Norman and Chris Bailey. Hall and Norman are legitimate gold medal threats. Media keeps sucking off GB's Michael Hudson-Smith but I think Hall and Norman can take him.

Women's Hammer final. The USA's DeAnna Price is No.2 all time in distance, won the world championships in 2019 and took bronze in 2023 but finished a disappointing eighth at the Tokyo games. This is her chance at redemption. Annette Echikunwoke finished just behind her in qualifying.

Women's 400m Hurdles semifinals. This is Sydney McLaughlin's world and Femke Bol is just living in it. Kidding (mostly). Bol is a serious threat, but we won't find out until the final. For now, look for McLaughlin and USC product Anna Cockrell to represent the US in the finals.

Men's Long Jump final. Sadly, no American made it out of qualifying. The 🐐 Carl Lewis would roll over in his grave ... if he were actually dead and not head track coach for Cougar High.

Men's 1500m final. Yared Nuguse, Cole Hocker and Hobbs Kessler represent the best trio the US has ever fielded in this event ... but it won't matter if the likes of Timothy Cheruiyot, Josh Kerr and Jakob Ingebrigtsen run to their potential. If the finishing times approach 3:26, only Nuguse has the fitness to hang with them. A little slower, however, and Kessler and Hocker might surprise with their devastating kicks.

Women's 3000m Steeplechase final. Two of the US's three entries advanced to the final. BYU alum Courtney Wayment threw down a blistering time of 9:10.7 but she and her compatriot Valerie Constien might need to lower their PBs by a few seconds to reach the podium. All depends on pace.

Women's 200m final. This will be the Gabby and Julien show. If Ms. Thomas has a better-than-average start, she'll win as nobody maintains their speed down the stretch better than she. If not, this is Ms. Alfred's race to lose. Either way, it's a win-win for us.

Btw, the top threats for this event met in London a couple of weeks ago and this was the result (inside spoiler). And that was with a bad start, mind you.

Spoiler

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 6

Family is from Louisiana, mother is Swedish. His dad has been his coach since forever, and Mondo wanted his dad to coach him for the Olympics. US said no. Swedes offered him $50,000 each time he broke the WR. I think today was #10. 

Not accurate at all. Since he was little, he’s only wanted to compete for Sweden for his mom. His brother, Andreas, also jumped for Sweden as a U20 athlete. They both jumped at LSU for their dad who was an All American pole vaulter for them. His other brother played baseball there and his sister is currently a pole vaulter there.

He was jumping for Sweden regardless but it offers other benefits. At his level, he doesn’t have to qualify for the team, so there’s no risk of missing the OG/WC. Also, as an American, your sponsorships are much more limited because fewer companies think a T&F athlete is good marketing fodder. Mondo has about a dozen different sponsorship deals in Europe. He’s on zero advertising in America except for maybe a 2 second cameo in a Puma montage. He’s everywhere in TV and print advertising in Europe from banks, Omega watches, Red Bull, Puma, etc.

Also, as an organization, the USATF is a complete clusterfuck. I don’t begrudge anyone wanted to avoid it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Solid showing for US athletes this morning. Spoilers (no finals):

Spoiler

All three US women advanced in their 1500m heats. They ran smart and looked good, especially Elle St. Pierre, if you know what I mean.

Freddie Crittenden made the most of the 110mH repechage, cruising to first in his heat to earn a berth in the semis.

Kendall Ellis looked much, much better in her 400m repechage heat, easily taking first to move on to the semis.

Longhorn legend and ebullient beauty Tara Davis-Woodhall posted the longest qualifying distance in her second jump and advanced to tomorrow's finals. Fellow Americans Monae Nichols and Jasmine Moore also moved forward.

Trevor Bassitt won his 400mH repechage heat and will run  in tomorrow's semis.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Men's 1500m final. Yared Nuguse, Cole Hocker and Hobbs Kessler represent the best trio the US has ever fielded in this event ... but it won't matter if the likes of Timothy Cheruiyot, Josh Kerr and Jakob Ingebrigtsen run to their potential. If the finishing times approach 3:26, only Nuguse has the fitness to hang with them. A little slower, however, and Kessler and Hocker might surprise with their devastating kicks.

this is the one i've been waiting for the most.  holy shit, this is going to be 🔥🔥🔥

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Spoiler

All three US women advanced in their 1500m heats. They ran smart and looked good, especially Elle St. Pierre, if you know what I mean.
Freddie Crittenden made the most of the 110mH repechage, cruising to first in his heat to earn a berth in the semis.
Kendall Ellis looked much, much better in her 400m repechage heat, easily taking first to move on to the semis.
Longhorn legend and ebullient beauty Tara Davis-Woodhall posted the longest qualifying distance in her second jump and advanced to tomorrow's finals. Fellow Americans Monae Nichols and Jasmine Moore also moved forward.

Can you explain to us what repachage means?

Obviously, I know that it means but for the other idiots on here.
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Not accurate at all. Since he was little, he’s only wanted to compete for Sweden for his mom. His brother, Andreas, also jumped for Sweden as a U20 athlete. They both jumped at LSU for their dad who was an All American pole vaulter for them. His other brother played baseball there and his sister is currently a pole vaulter there.

He was jumping for Sweden regardless but it offers other benefits. At his level, he doesn’t have to qualify for the team, so there’s no risk of missing the OG/WC. Also, as an American, your sponsorships are much more limited because fewer companies think a T&F athlete is good marketing fodder. Mondo has about a dozen different sponsorship deals in Europe. He’s on zero advertising in America except for maybe a 2 second cameo in a Puma montage. He’s everywhere in TV and print advertising in Europe from banks, Omega watches, Red Bull, Puma, etc.

Also, as an organization, the USATF is a complete clusterfuck. I don’t begrudge anyone wanted to avoid it.

In other words, it’s very American of him not to compete for America.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hide contents

Point of order: the women’s long jump final is Thursday. At 1 central 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Women's 400m Hurdles semifinals. This is Sydney McLaughlin's world and Femke Bol is just living in it. Kidding (mostly). Bol is a serious threat, but we won't find out until the final. For now, look for McLaughlin and USC product Anna Cockrell to represent the US in the finals.

Btw, the top threats for this event met in London a couple of weeks ago and this was the result (inside spoiler). And that was with a bad start, mind you.

Reveal hidden contents

I think Bol will win and so will Hocker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

this is the one i've been waiting for the most.  holy shit, this is going to be 🔥🔥🔥

Seconded. Kerr vs. Jakob will be epic, and an American might crack the podium between Hocker and Nuguse. I'm leaning Hocker based on the semis heats. 

And then the women's 200m is also shaping up to be spectacular. It's wild that Gabby and Julien both train in Austin but under different coaches. We've got some exceptional talent around these parts. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I ran the mile in HS

Do the kids run the 1500 these days in HS? It was the mile for me as well but I'm ancient, 1500 wasn't till I got to college.

Edited by G650

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

It’s up there for me. I ran the mile in HS

Ran the two mile my freshman or sophomore year at the district track meet.  Our track team wasn’t that big so they just filled events with all the kids in athletics that played other sports.  I had never ran the two mile before that track meet, I finished ahead of a few people atleast…  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1