Track & Field (men and women)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think there’s a lot going on here.  First of all, the overlap between “crazy fit young person at the peak of their physical ability” and “attractive” is always going to be pretty significant on the Venb diagram. 

Second, I think worldwide we are seeing a boost in participation in sports for girls and women.  Even in the 1990s, the active but girlie girls in HS gravitated to cheer and maybe tennis or dance and sports was less socially cool.  That’s changed and it’s awesome, and also countries are investing more in girls sports, so there are more athletes and opportunities.  Which is super cool. 

Finally because of the exposure and power of brand building, a lot of these athletes are acutely aware of the benefit to showing off their fitness and charms. That shows in everything from the preferred uniforms to the warmup routines to the makeup and hair and nails.  These ladies know that the right photo or TikTok can mean lots and lots of sponsorship opportunities and many go prepared to seize them. In the past it was kind of a point of pride for jock girls not to be girly and now it’s the opposite. 

So you're saying I'm just a thristy old man? 

But yeah, the broader appeal aspect, which ultimately "improves the gene pool" of the athletes something I had not considered. It is something that we both agree is great well beyond the "hotness" aspect.

The social media/sponsorship side is no secret with millionaire influencers who, beyond looking amazing, often provide zero substance.

Edited by BurntEyes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

3:30 is stupid fast… 

Imagine your local gym or whatever’s treadmill.. and you put it at max speed (typically 10) it still won’t get you 1500m in 3:30

Yeah not even close. 10 top speed is 6:00 flat pace. My home treadmill tops out at 12 (5:00 flat). You need the high end 14-15 max speed treadmills to even replicate their pace.  

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Australian Jenneke, famous in some circles for her prerace routine below, ate it on the 3rd hurdle and took a bad fall.  She got up and finished though so she'll still have the repechage

Sexy Michelle Jenneke GIF

What sucks is that she got off to a great start. 

There was some controversy this morning in the men’s 5k heats. Frenchy caused a major pileup. Brit was knocked down and got in Frenchy’s face after the race. Brit was waived through to the final. 

29 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I ran the 400 but freshman year in hs was my last year to run track.  I fucking HATED running the 400.  (Hell, it might've been the 440 when I was running it.)

The training for that is the worse. 

Coach has you doing like 5 200s with little rest. Run em under 30sec if I remember. 

then like 3 300s blah blah 

a couple 400s to end the day  

and thats on like a random Monday … still got 4 more days of the week haha 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I think there’s a lot going on here.  First of all, the overlap between “crazy fit young person at the peak of their physical ability” and “attractive” is always going to be pretty significant on the Venb diagram. 

Second, I think worldwide we are seeing a boost in participation in sports for girls and women.  Even in the 1990s, the active but girlie girls in HS gravitated to cheer and maybe tennis or dance and sports was less socially cool.  That’s changed and it’s awesome, and also countries are investing more in girls sports, so there are more athletes and opportunities.  Which is super cool. 

Finally because of the exposure and power of brand building, a lot of these athletes are acutely aware of the benefit to showing off their fitness and charms. That shows in everything from the preferred uniforms to the warmup routines to the makeup and hair and nails.  These ladies know that the right photo or TikTok can mean lots and lots of sponsorship opportunities and many go prepared to seize them. In the past it was kind of a point of pride for jock girls not to be girly and now it’s the opposite. 

Not that anything you're saying is incorrect here, because I agree, but it also helps that there isn't an eastern bloc of European countries just rampantly fucking cheating and sending out gross distortions of actual female athletes to compete. The East Germans and Russians winning many medals from the 70's through Atlanta (remnants for EG, the Russians obviously carried on) most of us wouldn't fuck with our worst enemy's dick. Women getting headlines in many sports these days do not look like they've been forced into a regimented diet that includes healthy doses of bovine growth hormone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

The training for that is the worse. 

Coach has you doing like 5 200s with little rest. Run em under 30sec if I remember. 

then like 3 300s blah blah 

a couple 400s to end the day  

and thats on like a random Monday … still got 4 more days of the week haha 

Being a very anaerobic biased person, I loved this stuff lol.

Joggin a few miles though?

1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They are way finer these days.  No filters on the starting line close ups.

I have found that NBC frequently has used filters for live broadcasts during the Olympics.

You will notice that athletes’ skin is a matte, but their uniforms will be crisp and clear. 

That has given a softer, more flawless look that what the athletes’ skin really looks like, but it doesn’t affect bone structure, hair care…

But the filter does give them a 5% to 10% boost right at the end, and I’m okay with that.

EDIT: Just turned on the women’s pole vault and the first woman I watched (Frenchie before the commercial) 100% had the skin filter working on her.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I have found that NBC frequently has used filters for live broadcasts during the Olympics.

You will notice that athletes’ skin is a matte, but their uniforms will be crisp and clear. 

That has given a softer, more flawless look that what the athletes’ skin really looks like, but it doesn’t affect bone structure, hair care…

But the filter does give them a 5% to 10% boost right at the end, and I’m okay with that.

EDIT: Just turned on the women’s pole vault and the first woman I watched (Frenchie before the commercial) 100% had the skin filter working on her.

There is absolutely filter going on in the track events and others. The colors popping like they do is an aspect of BOTH filter and great new camera technology.

I'll take it to the nerds thread.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not that anything you're saying is incorrect here, because I agree, but it also helps that there isn't an eastern bloc of European countries just rampantly fucking cheating and sending out gross distortions of actual female athletes to compete. The East Germans and Russians winning many medals from the 70's through Atlanta (remnants for EG, the Russians obviously carried on) most of us wouldn't fuck with our worst enemy's dick. Women getting headlines in many sports these days do not look like they've been forced into a regimented diet that includes healthy doses of bovine growth hormone. 

The script has flipped wildly on that because as a kid in the late 80s and early 90s the popular image of eastern bloc women athletes was for sure East German swimmers and burly tennis players, but by early 2000s they were the standard bearers for pulchritude in sports.  Call it the Kournikova and Sharapova effect.

And sports science and training has changed.  Male athletes look a lot different because of how they train than they did in the 1970s and 1980s and so do the women.  And on the dark side sports “science” is more sophisticated and focused, it’s not just massive doses of anabolic steroids. 

I have been commenting that very same observation to Mrs. Brat.
They have come a long way from Tamara Press.

IMG_3741.jpeg.d4480807c0162bcede7351a6332c5b27.jpeg
IMG_3740.jpeg.73a4cdfeca094d74ee252005e53db88a.jpeg

Did you watch the women’s shot put?

I didn’t but if they were anything like women’s hammer throw then we haven’t really come that far.

Val Allman is an outlier in the throwing-things category; the smoke seems to be all out on the track.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Yeah I think people don't realize how fast those dudes are running. It's faster than a hell of a lot of people top speed.

3:30 is an AVERAGE speed of 16 mph.  I wouldn't be surprised if top speed were 3-4 mph above that.  

I'm pretty sure I've never run 16 mph in my life, even at my fittest (and I was damn fit in HS).  Fit, strong, but certainly not fast.

9 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Did you watch the women’s shot put?

I didn’t but if they were anything like women’s hammer throw then we haven’t really come that far.

Val Allman is an outlier in the throwing-things category; the smoke seems to be all out on the track.

723650_full.thumb.jpg.0d717a1c0a7f18a771aaef0ad0a2f56d.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

3:30 is an AVERAGE speed of 16 mph.  I wouldn't be surprised if top speed were 3-4 mph above that.  

I'm pretty sure I've never run 16 mph in my life, even at my fittest (and I was damn fit in HS).  Fit, strong, but certainly not fast.

I thought your brother Wally was the jock. This you?

image.jpeg.b650e8998a048c886232897f7eb61fcc.jpeg

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

723650_full.thumb.jpg.0d717a1c0a7f18a771aaef0ad0a2f56d.jpg

Just summoned Vic.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay, I know the answer to the following question is likely both tacos... but..

Are female athletes in large part far more attractive generally, that in the past? I do recognize filters and social media has greatly modified their "presentation" but good god there are a ton of smoke shows... or..

Am I just a really thirsty creepy old man now and they look way better to me because of that reality??

I know, both tacos but damn.

A lot of Olympic sports cost a lot of money from a young age to participate and be really good at these days.  Between personal coaches, trainers, equipment, ect, a big majority of Olympic athletes come from well off families these days.  Rich guys marry hot chicks..