Track & Field (men and women)

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Didnt they do this for the M 100M too?

last event of the night so they come back the following day?

Saw somewhere that NBC said all medals awarded 24 hours later. Not sure why. Guessing they don't do that for the last day

Edited by AUinHsv

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Saw somewhere that NBC said all medals awarded 24 hours later. Not sure why. Guessing they don't do that for the last day

I wonder if it's not so that lab results can come back before the medals are handed out.  That way you don't have another instance like what happened to our figure skaters, who just got their gold medals yesterday from the Beijing Olympics after the Russians were disqualified.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Not to go old school but that was not close to what we ran. I ran distance and every Tuesday was 25 ( yep twenty five) quarter miles at race pace with a 220 jog (not a walk) between them. We had the number one high school miler in the USA and the number 1 or 2 two miler so those were run at just over 60 seconds. Our workouts for the quarter milers were equally intense.

Good god. 25. Crazy. we did do Fartlek runs for miles tho.  And, Well we didn’t have a number one in anything.

our football team and sprinters were good tho. 

38 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yeah, just slo mo’d the replay above.

knee caught the hurdle and went down hard. his melon hammered the track on the whiplash 

I didn’t see the head it. Knee clipped and just flipped. I thought it was a imma just lay here in shame 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Good god. 25. Crazy. we did do Fartlek runs for miles tho.  And, Well we didn’t have a number one in anything.

I was actually on a state champ football team, but we were in the Virginia Prep League so we weren't playing the mega schools. We did play Fork Union though and won that year. I have a friend who kept trying to tell everyone I tackled Eddie George. I in fact did not tackle Eddie George as he was in their PG program, which is basically a halfway house between HS and college. But it was always a good story

Eta:  I lost track of where I was going with that by the Eddie George digression. Our tailback was a legit sprinter, ran the hundred in the mid 10s. Ended up at Princeton because he was crazy smart too. His brother was the fullback, and unfortunately died from viral meningitis caught at a track meet of all places junior year.

Edited by G650

40 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Well we didn’t have a number one in anything.

Actually I lied.  

we had Donnie Pinkerton. Him and his brother were fast fast. If I remember. Donnie did 110 hurdles as was hittin 13s. I swear he hit 12.9 or 13.1 something. I forget. He was a flash.  
He ran Texas relays. Reminds me the first time I saw Roy Williams. 
he floated over the high jump 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

The 1500 final was run yesterday right?  NBC had the Americans on the primetime show (live?) with their medals, and showed their anthem. 

Edit: I guess the prime time stuff with tirico isn’t live since that would have been like 6 am Paris time. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Posted (edited)

Finally done with work and caught up on the day's events.

Ladies and gentlemen, y'all just witnessed the greatest 400m final in history. Not the fastest, mind you, but the greatest. FIVE athletes finishing under 44 seconds is NUTS.

Quincy Motherfucking Hall. Put some respect on his name. I've more to say about this but will do so in another post.

Can't believe we got silver in men's steeplechase. That little Mormon can cook! Very concerned for Girma, though. That spill looked deadly.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Looked to be laboring down the stretch or is that just his style of running? 

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Dude he looked horrible the whole way around but just kept getting faster lol

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's like he lit the afterburner the last 40m.

3 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Holy fuck, I was in pain watching that. Insane willpower.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I thought he was done. He dug to deep to make that final kick

3 hours ago, G650 said:

I mean, that was it. Going in the first turn he had a pain face on. I'm genuinely stunned.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Looked like me in 8th grade when I would stop breathing down the home stretch and throw up after every race

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't think I've ever seen a runner gritting his teeth like that in a winning effort.  Just incredible.

Nobody likes an "I told you so," but I literally did tell y'all so ... 

And don't sleep on Quincy. He let up a bit (if you see his max effort, you'll know what I mean--he spends the entire homestretch clawing for every yard; it's borderline painful to watch!).

I know I've made similar posts, but that was just from yesterday. Shame on y'all. I expect much pos-rep as tribute and penance.

OK, I've got that out of my system.

In all seriousness, that was just an incredible final. I knew Quincy was gonna claw his way back to a medal, but the way he kept his speed up and passed everyone is immediately one of the best moments in T&F history. The only other sprinters I've seen run with that much heart are Wayde Van Niekerk and Karsten Warholm.

Sponsors:

source.gif

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 8

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I wonder if it's not so that lab results can come back before the medals are handed out.  That way you don't have another instance like what happened to our figure skaters, who just got their gold medals yesterday from the Beijing Olympics after the Russians were disqualified.

My understanding from when I went to the 1996 Olympics is that they don’t want winners to be standing on a podium and hearing their anthem as crowds are heading to the exit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

My understanding from when I went to the 1996 Olympics is that they don’t want winners to be standing on a podium and hearing their anthem as crowds are heading to the exit. 

Doing it at the end of the next day doesn't fix that.

Ok, more on that discus final.  The Lithuanian thrower was the favorite from what I can tell.  He throws 69.97m breaking a 20 year old Olympic Record set BY HIS DAD back in Athens 2004.

Stona shortly after uncorks a 70.00 m throw.  That poor Lithuanian guy held the Olympic Record for about fifteen minutes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ok, more on that discus final.  The Lithuanian thrower was the favorite from what I can tell.  He throws 69.97m breaking a 20 year old Olympic Record set BY HIS DAD back in Athens 2004.

Stona shortly after uncorks a 70.00 m throw.  That poor Lithuanian guy held the Olympic Record for about fifteen minutes

That gold and the bronze in shot put are the first two medals by Jamaica ever in throwing. 

Yet another American-centric summary for what's on tap in track & field tomorrow, Aug. 8:

MORNING SESSION

Women's Heptathlon Day 1 (100m, High Jump, Shot Put, 200m). American Anna Hall is a medal favorite. She took bronze at the 2022 World Championships in Eugene and upgraded that to silver a year later in Budapest. Naturally, gold in Paris must be next. Taliyah Brooks and Chari Hawkins of Rexburg, Idaho (holla!), will also represent the Red, White & Blue.

Women's Shot Put qualification. The US boasts a couple of heavy hitters (🤪) here. Okie Light product Chase Jackson has won back-to-back world championships and also possesses some indoor championship hardware. Raven "Hulk" Saunders is a character and fun to watch. She also nabbed silver at the Tokyo Games, so this moment shouldn't be too big for her. Jaida Ross rounds out the entry list for Team USA.

Women's 100m Hurdles repechage. There is an American in this event but she competes for Liberia. 

Women's 4x100m Relay qualification. Once the relays make an appearance, you know the Games are near the end. The US is the clear favorite, but passing the baton around the track has been Team USA's downfall on many occasions. Do that, and a berth in the finals is assured. Do it well in the finals, and Olympic and world records are a very real possibility, if not probability. In the finals, expect either TT Terry and Melissa Jefferson to run the first and second legs before handing off to America's newest sweetheart Gabby Thomas for the final curve and Dallas native Sha'Carri Richardson for the homestretch. Good chance we'll see Aleia Hobbs and/or Tamari Davis fill their spots for the prelims.

Men's 4x100m Relay qualification. Again, Uncle Same's Army has the deepest and fastest roster. Come the finals, you're likely looking at Christian Coleman on leadoff, Fred Kerley on the backstretch, Kung-Fu Kenny on the final bend, and Noah Lyles bringing it home. As stated for the women, if they do this well, Olympic and world records are a very real possibility, if not probability. With Bednarek and Lyles focused on the individual 200m, look for alternates Kyree King and Courtney Lindsey in their stead for the prelim.

Men's 800m repechage. Second chance for aggy Brandon Miller to punch his ticket to the semis. He looked terrible in the prelims but ya never know. Good luck and hook 'em, Brandon!

• Hook 'Em 4

And here's the rest of the American-centric summary for Aug. 8:

EVENING SESSION

Women's Long Jump final. All three Team USA entries (Monae Nichols, Jasmine Moore, and Longhorn Legend Tara Davis-Woodhall) reached the final. Davis-Woodhall is the current indoor champ and was runner-up at the World Championships a year ago. She also posted the best qualifying jump, but Italy's Larissa Iapichino is probably the odds-on favorite. #teamtara4life

Men's Javelin final. No Americans reached the final. Instead, I'll be rooting for Grenada's Anderson Peters and TnT's Keshorn Walcott.

Women's 1500m semifinal. This is Faith Kipyegon's event to lose until someone proves otherwise. All three Americans--Nikki HIltz, Elle Purrier St. Pierre and Emily Mackay--advanced from the prelims. St. Pierre and Hiltz are in the shape of their lives and could surprise--it's been that sort of Games for the US and A. Great Britain's Laura Muir is excellent, and Ethiopians Gudaf Tsegay and Diribe Welteji will be out for blood after the 5K drama.

Men's 200m final. Few sprinters attempt the double these days. Three of those who did will feature in this race--Americans Noah Lyles and Kenny Bednarek and Botswanan Letsile Tebogo. Kenny is on a mission, and I'd be shocked if he didn't at least come away with bronze. Noah has only lost twice in the 200m since turning pro, but his performances in the prelims and semis were not confidence inspiring. Was he merely rope-a-doping the field? That's not his m.o. A sweep is a genuine possibility: fellow American Erriyon Knighton has medaled at every world final since finishing fourth at the Tokyo Games as a 17-year-old. Tebogo has the best chance to disrupt that dream; he's a legit threat to win gold if the Yanks underperform.

Women's 400m Hurdles final. This is it. Syd vs. Bol. Everyone else is just running for bronze. It's incredible how consistent these two athletes are. They never disappoint. Truly, I've never seen either run a bad race. However, Femke has never beaten McLaughlin-Levrone, and I'm hoping that statement remains true after tomorrow. If Syd wins, don't be surprised if it's another Olympic and world record, a la Tokyo 2020(21).

Men's 110m Hurdles final. Grant Holloway has won everything ... but Olympic gold. If The Big Flamingo accomplishes this, he'll go down in history as one of the greatest, most dominant sprint hurdlers in history. Fellow Americans Freddie Crittenden and Daniel Roberts are genuine threats to medal. And if all three throw down the times they did at the Trials, they could very well sweep the podium. Reigning Olympic champ Hansle Parchment of Jamaica won't make it easy for them, but he hasn't looked as sharp leading up to the final.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Is this the first event with a repechage? I don't remember it before and it's pretty cool. Gives a second chance if you mess up

The first Olympics? Yes. And agreed--it's been a net positive. Also gives the non-medal contenders another day in the sun.

Regarding the relays, those baton exchanges make me nervous as hell.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The first Olympics? Yes. And agreed--it's been a net positive. Also gives the non-medal contenders another day in the sun.

Regarding the relays, those baton exchanges make me nervous as hell.

Everything about relays makes me nervous. Our track record (pun intended) is a hot mess. Just really glad the official in the mixed medley told the runner to get in the handoff zone since they were just walking around everywhere.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, WBT said:

Watching the replay of the women's shot from this morning.  What's the story hete?

urnpublicidap.org358bfb564f7db5686a44e32

Idk.

she did it in the trials too.

i assumed covid/masking at the time but then ripped it off right after qualifying and making the team so IDK.

Edited by UTexasFight

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Idk.

she they did it in the trials too.

i assumed covid/masking at the time but then ripped it off right after qualifying and making the team so IDK.

just messing with you, although it caused a stink on social media.  shocker.  apparently Raven is non-binary.  BBC commentator said "glad to see her back." commentator was corrected by co-host who said Raven is non-binary now.  social media blew up.  i don't know anymore.

Raven also has adopted the Incredible Hulk as an alter-ego.  this mask is all part of the bit.

The Olympic shot put competition veered towards a gender row of its own in Paris on Thursday with non-binary USA athlete Raven Saunders qualifying for the final.

Saunders, back competing after an 18-month ban for missing three doping tests, first caused a stir by adopting the alter-ego of 'The Hulk' - before taking the character to a new level.

Appearing in the games today, their hair was dyed neon green and purple, gold grills covered their teeth and long fingernails on their left hand were bedazzled in Team USA colors, with the letters H-U-L-K.

But as BBC commentator Steve Backley introduced Saunders, he mistakenly referred to the athlete as female and was corrected by his co-commentator Jazmin Sawyers.

'The colorful character of Raven Saunders back. Good to see her back, sort of. Sort of see her, I mean,' Backley said, referencing Saunders' mask, before Sawyers responded.

'Well we can't actually see them very well. Raven Saunders is actually non-binary and wearing a mask there - we are quite used to seeing them with interesting attire,' Backley said around images of a masked Saunders getting ready to compete.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-13723689/Olympics-commentator-CORRECTED-misgendering-USA-Raven-Saunders-Paris.html

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Women’s 1500 right now. Tall blonde would get it   Australia produces some women damn 

GB, USA and Australia are absolutely winning that category of "speed" at the track. The "Spanish speakers" winning elsewhere.

On 8/7/2024 at 1:14 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Tebogo looked solid in the 200M semifinal.  Lyles was so so.  both are through to the final.

i don't think so, Sanya.  this was not the upset of the Olympics. Hocker was a shocker. Tebogo looked like the favorite in the heats, and he delivered.

• Hook 'Em 1