Track & Field (men and women)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Whats the back story on the 3 ex Cubans that now jump for Spain or Portuagal. Didn't think Cuba allowed athletes to leave.

Italy had a Cuban too.  They said he came out of the transfer portal on Aug 1, just in time to compete.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

GB lost that with two horrendous handoffs.  That'll eat you up inside.

US had two awful handoffs, as well. Not as bad as the one in the semis, but Jefferson-to-Thomas was poor (Gabby had to slow down; looks like she took off a moment too soon) and Thomas-to-Sha'Carri was also suboptimal (Sha'Carri took off late).

2 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Degrease did not lose a step. I was wrong 

Dude lives a charmed life. He's never the best ... but always there to pounce when someone else fucks up. Like Team USA today. He's been around a long time and deserves respect but I still don't like him because, again, he's more of an opportunist than a legend ... maybe he's a "legendary opportunist?" LoL

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Kenny should've ran anchor. You can't switch up two legs for the final. That's asking for disaster. Still probably would've left too early but who knows. Maybe he would've settled down before the stick got to him.

Kenny should've stayed put on the third leg. He's a monster on the final bend. But this was entirely his fault. He took off WAY too early. New leg, new markers, probably wasn't familiar. Just fucking stupid. He's run the final bend for us since Tokyo. King Carl is right--shitcan those in charge and bring in someone who can think and chew gum at the same time.

I'm sure Noah not being available caused a shuffle, but that's still an excuse. I would've kept the team "as is" from the prelims with Lindsey running the home stretch and only subbing in Bednarek for Kyree on the third leg. Keep Kerley on the backstretch. 

19 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That Kenyan woman is nuts.  Running the marathon a day and a half after winning the 10k.

Sifan Hassan is technically Dutch. Born Ethiopian and moved to Holland at the age of 14-15 as a refuge; became a citizen in 2013.

She's a fucking gamer, man. Throwback. Doesn't care about GOLD in ONE event if she can pick up two or three of any color in multiple events. Just loves to run and compete, as far as I can tell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

US had two awful handoffs, as well. Not as bad as the one in the semis, but Jefferson-to-Thomas was poor (Gabby had to slow down; looks like she took off a moment too soon) and Thomas-to-Sha'Carri was also suboptimal (Sha'Carri took off late).

Dude lives a charmed life. He's never the best ... but always there to pounce when someone else fucks up. Like Team USA today. He's been around a long time and deserves respect but I still don't like him because, again, he's more of an opportunist than a legend ... maybe he's a "legendary opportunist?" LoL

Kenny should've stayed put on the third leg. He's a monster on the final bend. But this was entirely his fault. He took off WAY too early. New leg, new markers, probably wasn't familiar. Just fucking stupid. He's run the final bend for us since Tokyo. King Carl is right--shitcan those in charge and bring in someone who can think and chew gum at the same time.

I'm sure Noah not being available caused a shuffle, but that's still an excuse. I would've kept the team "as is" from the prelims with Lindsey running the home stretch and only subbing in Bednarek for Kyree on the third leg. Keep Kerley on the backstretch. 

Sifan Hassan is technically Dutch. Born Ethiopian and moved to Holland at the age of 14-15 as a refuge; became a citizen in 2013.

She's a fucking gamer, man. Throwback. Doesn't care about GOLD in ONE event if she can pick up two or three of any color in multiple events. Just loves to run and compete, as far as I can tell.

Chebet is who I was talking about

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As infuriating as that relay was, seeing Rai Benjamin finally win Olympic gold washes all the negativity away, even going so far as to leave a patina of positivity. 

This is three times in a row now that he's beaten Warholm (all inside of a year), and Rai has more or less used the same strategy each time. Warholm loves to get out, so Benjamin waits until about the 250m mark and surges as he's coming out of the final bend. The previous two times, Rai ran inside of Warholm and kept an eye on him. But this time, he chose to stay outside and wait until Warholm pulled up to him. Just brilliant fucking running.

I still think he can crack 46 seconds and set a new world record, but he didn't need either achievement today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHygaz-Ilp4

(NBC has blocked embedding for this video. Replay of the men's 400mH final. No pre- or post-race. Strictly the actual running.)

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Chebet is who I was talking about

Ah, gotcha. I didn't know she was also running the marathon. They're both crazy!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Man that first handoff was just butchered.

Did you see my badass South Side "Cajun" hottie give the evil eye of EABODs? Cause that's the real take amigo. 

Screenshot_20240809_183916_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5e6595e5fbfa11413c0040d46eaf8a57.jpg

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 2

Yikes, I'm just watching our men's 4x400 relay for the first time on the nbc replay.  They still had to run the parents interview and the big Quincy sees Paris package before he puts us dead last after the first leg?

Jonah Hill GIF

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Final American-centric summary for what's on tap in track & field for Saturday, Aug. 10:

MORNING SESSION

Men's Marathon final. Representing the US will be Leonard Korir, Conner Mantz, and Clayton Young. All three share similar PBs (13 seconds between them). Born and raised in Kenya, Korir moved to the US to attend university and later became naturalized while a member of the Army. Mantz and Young are both from Utah, so let's hope they can channel their inner Rooks (steeplechase runner-up who attended BYU). They'll need more than Joseph Smith on their side because they're faced with some of the biggest names in distance-running history, including former marathon world-record holder Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya; Benson Kipruto, also of Kenya, winner of the 2021 Boston, 2022 Chicago and 2024 Toyko marathons; reigning world champ Victor Kiplangat of Uganda; and Ethiopian legend Kenenisa Bekele, who won three Olympic and five World Championship golds.

And that's all she wrote for Saturday morning.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

And here's the rest of the American-centric summary for Saturday, Aug. 10:

EVENING SESSION

Men's High Jump final. Shelby McEwen stands as the Red, White & Blue's only hope. McEwen won his qualifying heat, but he'll be jumping against several athletes with superior PBs, including all-timer Mutaz Barshim of Qatar. Barshim won gold at the Tokyo games and silver at Rio 2016 and London 2012. He's also come within less than an inch of equaling Javier Sotomayor, the only man to ever clear 8 feet. Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi and Kiwi Hamish Kerr are other top threats for gold.

Women's Javelin final. No US women made it out of qualification. You still want a prediction? Well, seeing as how I know less about javelin than virtually anything else, I'll just go with the top qualifier, Poland's Maria Andrejcyzk. She won silver in Tokyo yet apparently has a heart of gold because she sold that medal to pay for a child's heart surgery. Now that's the Olympic spirit!

Men's 800m final. Just one American--Bryce Hoppel--survived the semis, but he was the only one with a serious chance of a medal. This field is ridiculously fast and deep (just how your moth-- err, never mind). For some quick background, going under 1:44 in the 800m is a big deal. Breaking 1:43 is outstanding. And bettering 1:42 is extremely. Yet this final will feature three athletes who have done just that ... at the same meet! Djamel Sedjati (PB of 1:41.46) of has been practically unbeatable this year, relying on a devastating kick to leave everyone in the dust over the final 150m. Kenya's Emmaneul Wanyonyi (PB of 1:41.58) has been the most consistent, while heretofore unsung Frenchman Gabriel Tual (PB of 1:41.61) has shaved more than 2.5 seconds off his personal best since the year began. And then there's reigning world champ Marco Arop of Canada (1:42.85) and Moroccan-born "Spaniard" Mohamed Attaoui (1:42.04). Hoppel, who's all-time effort is 1:42.77, will need to run the race of his life just to medal. It's anybody's guess who wins this. The smart money is probably on Sedjati, but six of the eight participants have a legitimate chance at gold.

Women's 100m Hurdles final. Team USA's talented young trio of Alaysha Johnson, Grace Stark and Masai Russell looked fantastic on Friday. Johnson and Stark won their semifinals and Russell finished second in hers to another American, "Puerto Rico's" Jasmine Camacho-Quinn. World-record holder Tobi Amusan of Nigeria failed to advance, so there's a strong chance the US could come away with two medals. And who knows? There hasn't been a podium sweep in athletics this Games, so why not Team USA and why not these three? I'm not calling it, I'm merely calling for it. But if it happens, I reserve the right to pretend I predicted it.

Men's 5000m final. Another stacked field that features two Americans--Harvard alum Graham Blanks and 10K bronze medalist Grant Fisher. My pick to win is Jakob Ingebrigtsen of Norway. Inge has been quiet since being humbled in the 1500m (go Hocker, go!), and he's also the back-to-back world champ at this distance.

Women's 1500m final. Two Americans--Nikki Hiltz and Elle Purrier St. Pierre--will run in the final. Both are in outstanding shape and just might find their way to the podium. It won't be easy as they'll be facing world-record holder Faith Kipyegon of Kenya, 5000m record-holder and Faith's chief tormentor Gudaf Tsegay of Ethiopia, an in-form Jessica Hull of Australia, who just set an all-time mark in the rarely seen 2000m, and Scot Laura Muir, who won silver in this event in Tokyo.

Men's 4x400m Relay final. The US should dominate this, although Botswana and 200m champ Letsile Tebogo might have something to say about that. Look for Quincy Wilson to give way to 400m winner Quincy Hall. Rai Benjamin, fresh off his 400mH victory, also figures to take a lap for Team USA. Who will the other two American runners be? Most likely Bryce Deadmon and Vernon Norwood from the qualifying heats and the Mixed 4x400m relay silver medal squad, but 400m finalists Chris Bailey and Michael Norman could also get the nod.

Women's 4x400m Relay final. Another medal that is Team USA's to lose, especially given that 400mH champ Sydney McLaughlin will swap in. Open 400m finalist Alexis Holmes--who set a PB despite finishing seventh in the open 400m--could join the party, as well. Shamier Little and Quanera Hayes also figure to run based on their times in the relay prelim.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Terrible interview after the men's 4x100.  Tried to get leadoff to throw #2 under the bus, he clearly didn't want to, just kept hammering on him.  Everybody saw what happened, no need to make people feel like shit and blame teammates.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Do we know if they had counted her PB javelin throw that Anna gettin on the podium. Or was she losing either way ?

Or I would assume. If they counted that then that beat them by at least 8 seconds in the 800. would have been like. Just beat them ? 

I’ve half-heartedly called some of these track stars “cute” or “pretty” just as my wife has openly admired some swimmer dudes. But I know better than to say what I really feel about Anna or Sydney. My god, they are breathtaking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WashHorn said:

I’ve half-heartedly called some of these track stars “cute” or “pretty” just as my wife has openly admired some swimmer dudes. But I know better than to say what I really feel about Anna or Sydney. My god, they are breathtaking. 

Don’t leave Gabby out of that grouping. She’s the leader in my clubhouse. 

• Like 1

They need to get some old sprinter from the ‘80s and ‘90s, like Calvin Smith to explain to the relay team, “I was an elite sprinter. I had the 100m world record, I won the world championships in ‘83 and ‘87. I wasn’t a nobody; I gave Carl Lewis fits. The only medal I have than anyone gives a shit about now is my ‘84 Olympics gold medal from the relay. My own grandchildren would rather take that one to show and tell than my individual bronze from ‘88. Y’all need to nail this relay shit down!”

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Do we know if they had counted her PB javelin throw that Anna gettin on the podium. Or was she losing either way ?

Or I would assume. If they counted that then that beat them by at least 8 seconds in the 800. would have been like. Just beat them ? 

It did not cost her the podium.  It certainly cost her points.  However, the two in front of her finished close enough in the 800m that it would not have mattered.  She would have needed to win by 6-7 seconds instead of 8-9.

22 minutes ago, statsman said:

They need to get some old sprinter from the ‘80s and ‘90s, like Calvin Smith to explain to the relay team, “I was an elite sprinter. I had the 100m world record, I won the world championships in ‘83 and ‘87. I wasn’t a nobody; I gave Carl Lewis fits. The only medal I have than anyone gives a shit about now is my ‘84 Olympics gold medal from the relay. My own grandchildren would rather take that one to show and tell than my individual bronze from ‘88. Y’all need to nail this relay shit down!”

This. US men’s team is a group of individuals, not a team. It takes a special kind of drive to be an elite sprinter. This often results in the prima donna type like Noah. It definitely results in a group of guys that are completely focused on their individual achievements. It’s hard to break them out of that enough to take something like the relay seriously. 

That’s not good:

Athletics: Gianmarco Tamberi taken to hospital ahead of men's high jump final

Reigning joint-champion Gianmarco Tamberi is a huge doubt for tonight's men's high jump final now.

He had delayed his arrival to Paris after suffering renal issues and suspected kidney stones, but managed to get through qualification for tonight's final.

But he has been taken to hospital this morning after vomiting blood twice, he said in a post on Instagram.

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Keep the team the same except sub out Lyles for obvious reasons.  Or we should have just rolled with the Atascosita relay team and let the chips fall where they fall.  Joking of course, but my God what a fucking disaster.  It still ticks me off and put a real downer on an otherwise great showing for Team USA.

• Hook 'Em 2