Track & Field (men and women)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Anna Hall came on during the opening ceremonies, my wife just said “ I don’t even understand that bone structure.”

That gave me some leeway to gawk at her and her sister. My love for Sydney was established 3 years ago so we already had an understanding there.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

For some reason it seems that the sound of the gun and the actual start are not in sync. Yesterday it absolutely looked like the 4x100 men and women were out of the blocks before you heard the gun. For some reason I think the false start is set up electronically and done visually. It has a preset value for a reaction time and is wired to the gun. If it registers you leaving before the specified reaction time it sounds the alarm

6 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

For some reason it seems that the sound of the gun and the actual start are not in sync. Yesterday it absolutely looked like the 4x100 men and women were out of the blocks before you heard the gun. For some reason I think the false start is set up electronically and done visually. It has a preset value for a reaction time and is wired to the gun. If it registers you leaving before the specified reaction time it sounds the alarm

I don't know if it's the case, but if it's live mics that could be why

2 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Is there some actual rule on how many runners are in the final? Saw this yesterday in womens 10K. 20 plus runners in the final is a huge recipe for multiple collisions and falls

The commentators said it’s usually limited to 16 runners. 

Ingerbrigtsen didn't get outkicked there.  And Fisher got up for the bronze.

I've never been a distance runner but I don't understand the tactics.  Game theory wise it seems like there should always be a runner in the the field that knows they have a relatively weaker kick and that they need a fast pace.  So how does a race ever go out so slowly?  Shouldn't it only take one to push the pace?

Wow, 3 in a row for Kipyegon.  She smoked the field.

Hull hung on for 2nd.  The Ethiopian got dropped on the home stretch by Hull and Bell.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

Ingerbrigtsen didn't get outkicked there.  And Fisher got up for the bronze.

I've never been a distance runner but I don't understand the tactics.  Game theory wise it seems like there should always be a runner in the the field that knows they have a relatively weaker kick and that they need a fast pace.  So how does a race ever go out so slowly?  Shouldn't it only take one to push the pace?

These dudes pushing world record time Olympic record pace at this stage. 

so as a runner you give what you got. Weak kick or not. Run your race and pray 

I only ran the mile. So I’m not sure about anything longer than that. 

it’s a race against the man not the time. At my event 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lots of clearances at 2.34 in the HJ.  Anyone going to make a run at 8 feet (2.44)?

Looking at the all-time list, probably not going to happen.  No one has cleared 2.38 in the 2020s.  Three cleared 2.37 in Tokyo.

McEwen with 2.36!

Edited by WBT

42 minutes ago, Stringer said:

When Anna Hall came on during the opening ceremonies, my wife just said “ I don’t even understand that bone structure.”

That gave me some leeway to gawk at her and her sister. My love for Sydney was established 3 years ago so we already had an understanding there.

No doubt Anna Hall is madly attractive, but have you heard her speak?

I'm just sayin'.

Don't take that for me saying pointy knees, cause I'd get over it... but over time it would wear on me.

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

Wow, 3 in a row for Kipyegon.  She smoked the field.

Hull hung on for 2nd.  The Ethiopian got dropped on the home stretch by Hull and Bell.

It was a very nice final stretch for her and Bell. It actually looked like Hall nearly fucked up though easing up a tiny bit right at the end nearly giving it to Bell, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

It was a very nice final stretch for her and Bell. It actually looked like Hall nearly fucked up though easing up a tiny bit right at the end nearly giving it to Bell, IMO.

I’m not real sure why anyone would ease up in an Olympic Final.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2