Track & Field (men and women)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So GB trots out all their relay dudes but we only send out our finalists?  Quincy got robbed.

12 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I've never seen the US send prlims relay participants to the medal stand in any sport.  He will get his medal.

In the past, the IOC even though there are others in that may run  the  prelims ( and those that competed in them are allowed a medal if their team wins) they only allowed the finals participants on the podium.

I'm not totally sure about track and field, but that has been the case in swimming for quite some time

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Aggy had Little in the women’s 4x400. Arkansas had Bailey in the men’s and Amber Anning with a bronze for GB. Kentucky had both McLaughlin-Lavrone and Holmes.

Kentucky has 3 on the basketball team

Edited by conVINCEd

6 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Norge dude looked smooth tho. Not gonna lie 

It's what he does. He's got a big mouth, but he's got a big heart. I always root for Americans, of course, but Jakob definitely makes the middle distances more entertaining. 

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Ingerbrigtsen didn't get outkicked there.  And Fisher got up for the bronze.

I've never been a distance runner but I don't understand the tactics.  Game theory wise it seems like there should always be a runner in the the field that knows they have a relatively weaker kick and that they need a fast pace.  So how does a race ever go out so slowly?  Shouldn't it only take one to push the pace?

Watch the 1500m final and you'll see why those who are purely the fastest on paper (Ingebrigtsen) are often afraid to front run. And, yes, all it takes is one person to surge forward. You just saw it happen in the 5K final, when two Ethiopians surged to the front to step up the pace. The rest of the field had to follow or get left. Long story short, few want to take the lead because you technically do use more energy splitting the air for those behind you. It takes a tremendous amount of confidence (maybe even arrogance) to front run in an Olympic final.

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Lots of clearances at 2.34 in the HJ.  Anyone going to make a run at 8 feet (2.44)?

danny-devito-danny-nope.gif

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And Lewis’ question- why couldn’t you catch up to Kenny?

Because by the time Coleman caught up to him, Bednarek would have been well outside of the handoff zone. Kenny took off way too soon and had to nearly come to a stop to take the handoff inside the zone. Huge mistake but life goes on. Kenny will win more medals for us.

5 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Was is me or was deadmon ass again?

No, Deadmon was excellent. He definitely underperformed in the mixed relay, but he ran a great split (43.54) today.

Everyone did their jobs. Bailey was the slowest of the four but Norwood (43.26) and Benjamin were fire (43.18). Was surprised Hall didn't run for Bailey but maybe he wasn't feeling his best. I'm sure there's a good reason.

Anyway, you've got to give the other teams credit. This was a fantastic fucking final. Botswana balled out. Tebogo split a 43.03, btw. Thank god Rai is such a badass!

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Bol ran out of her mind and Deadmon was ass.

This is true. He made up for it today, though (see above).

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If they would start Sidney first, would her leg count as a 400 flat for record keeping purposes?  Does she ever run that in any competitions where she has an official time?

Yes, it would. Only the opening leg of any relay could count as a record because all the others are achieved with a running start, which makes a huge difference.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
Hall, not Wilson
  • Like 1

Man, that men's 800m final was awesome and heartbreaking at the same time. Thought Bryce would run 'em down, but the field was just so ridiculously good. Never thought I'd see four competitors break 1:42 in an Olympic final.

I'm absolutely stoked that the American who is proud to represent her country--Masai Russell--won gold in the 100m hurdles.

And Grant Fisher, holy shit! Bronze might not have quite the luster of gold or silver, but it's still an incredible accomplishment ... and to win TWO of them against those starting lists. Take a bow, Mr. Fisher!

On that note, the entire Team USA track-and-field delegation should take a bow. They gave us some of the best performances and moments in history. It's been an incredible games from an athletics perspective.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

To put Bryce's performance in today's men's 800m final in perspective, his fourth-place time of 1:41.67 would have secured gold in every Olympic final save one: Rudisha's all-time masterpiece in London 2012.

Still the world record, btw.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

💥Bonus💥 American-centric summary for what's on tap in track & field for Sunday, Aug. 11:

MORNING SESSION

Women's Marathon final. Representing the US will be national- and area-record holder Emily Sisson, Fiona O'Keeffe and the unfortunately named Dakotah Lindwurm., which sounds like some sort of intestinal parasite one contracts from a Midwestern diner.

Of the three, Sisson is the only one with an appreciable chance for medal. Her all-time best of 2:18.29 earned her second place at the 2022 Chicago Marathon and nearly broke her into the top 20 all time.

The two leaders in that statistic--Ethiopia's Tigst Assefa and Holland's Sifan Hassan--will be present. Hassan is the Dutch Army Knife of female distance running--her Olympic medal stash already consists of two golds and a bronze from Tokyo 2020 and a pair of bronzes from earlier in this Games.

Also of note, 5K and 10K gold medalist Beatrice Chebet of Kenya will not be competing in this event. Looking at her bio, it doesn't appear as if she's ever participated in a competitive marathon.

And that truly will close the book on what has been a sensational athletics session in Paris.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 1

Hassan wins the gold with a 100m sprint down the finish that was a bit testy.  She ran the 5,000m on Monday, 10,000m on Friday and the marathon today.  That's a lot of mileage in a week, just finishing today was remarkable much less having anything in the tank for a sprint to the finish to win it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This was a cool idea

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2024/08/11/paris-olympics-marathon-for-all/

Spoiler

In Paris’s ‘Marathon for All,’ you didn’t have to be an Olympian

More than 20,000 runners took to the Olympic marathon course Saturday night in, as one called it, “the best idea.”

By Chuck Culpepper

August 11, 2024 at 3:33 a.m. EDT

PARIS — An unprecedented idea coursed through Paris on Saturday night, and it quickly gathered a popularity emphatic enough to feel feverish. By 1:30 a.m. Sunday it kept persisting around Invalides, that military complex featuring Napoleon’s grave, with people still lining barricades and shouting encouragement, people chasing after runners they knew, people waving flags, people chanting chants, people in a madhouse out on Quai d’Orsay where runners spilled out, people and people and more people.

Their noise had rung all through the night and all through the city, especially along the Seine, audible from near and far, as the French had hatched an Olympic first and a wonder: a marathon in between the marathons.

Where the men had run their Olympic marathon Saturday morning, and the women would run theirs on Sunday morning, the Parisians found two marathons too unambitious and conducted one allowing amateurs to test and taste the Olympic route, which keeps earning the adjective “brutal.” Twenty thousand-plus got bibs. They tacked on a concurrent 10K. Twenty thousand-plus more got bibs. They called it Marathon Pour Tous, or “Marathon For All.”

“Really amazing,” said Gabriela Trana, a Costa Rican runner who competed in Olympics at both Beijing 2008 and London 2012.

“The best idea,” said Paula Radcliffe, the famed British runner who ran the 10K in between broadcast duties for both the Olympic marathons.

“As iconic as anywhere in the world,” was how the noted American runner Jared Ward described the course after running clear to Versailles and back past the Louvre, Palais Garnier opera house, Eiffel Tower and mere hundreds of other eye-pleasing structures.

As if the city didn’t have enough frenzy with the nightly rising of the Olympic balloon, which has drawn crowds so thick that people sigh about it, plus the beach volleyball visible from across the Seine to just under the Eiffel Tower, here came the marathoners from the majestic city hall Hotel de Ville. They crowded the road along the Seine, Quai Hotel de Ville, the whole thing a happy, booming madhouse. From the bridges over the Seine, you could see them streaming along in their masses and hear the throngs cheering them, some of whom had strategized using the metro to see certain loved-one runners.

It was that singular Olympic course, which allowed such sights as one runner holding up a phone for a selfie video, which wouldn’t happen in an Olympic marathon (at least not yet). One with a BRASIL shirt stopped and danced very briefly, which wouldn’t happen in an Olympic marathon (but perhaps should now and then). Citizens of some 127 nations arrived and ran, and so by the end you had Rahul Turan from Haryana, India, holding a flag for a photo with his parents, Sushma and Karansingh.

“I’m part of the armed forces,” Turan said. “I’m from the Indian Navy. So it’s very difficult to take out time and train for a marathon, but it’s a great opportunity” he got with the help of the Indian Olympic Committee.

Already he had spoken a chorus of the evening: “It was the toughest course.”

It had heavy doses of incline. Frederic Chetreff, a 64-year-old runner from Normandy on his 52nd marathon, proclaimed it the toughest because of two climbs in particular. “This marathon was very, very difficult for me,” he said, harder than New York, which also has its inclines.

Marie Colin, a runner from Lille up north, said she had broken off so as to finish just 25 of the 42 kilometers, avoiding the climbs because she’s six months pregnant.

Of those inclines, Ward said, “I just kept thinking of watching the Tour [de France] on TV. Looked like we were climbing mountains.”

He should know. The BYU statistics professor finished sixth in the men’s Olympic marathon at Rio de Janeiro 2016 in two hours, 13 minutes, and would finish first Saturday night in about 2:24.

The finish line, with its Olympic mascot waiting and its stands about one-fifth full, told the tale, as runners sometimes sobbed and often vomited. Some sprawled to the ground per post-marathon usual, but it looked somehow harsher.

“You really get an idea of just what phenomenal athletes they are,” Radcliffe said of the Olympians. “That race this morning in 2:06 [with Tamirat Tola as winner] and then to be out on this course?” She said, “It’s a brilliant course. I love to race it, but it’s a brutal course. You’ve got to gauge it to perfection.”

Costa Rica has its hills, as Trana said, but typically refrains from routes such as this. “The running, it’s hard really,” she said, but then showed a video she took while running on an easier stretch because she felt so moved by the sight of the Eiffel Tower up ahead. She raved: “I say congratulation for the organization of the Marathon For All, because was really good for everyone.”

Competition had not been the point of this marathon between the marathons, but around 11:23 p.m. after the 9 p.m. start, those around the finish line knew someone would come soon. It turned out to be Ward, who had a different mission from his time in Rio. He had competed that time while wife Erica remained home pregnant with their third child. Now he had “our family’s Olympic experience,” running while Erica and their six children witnessed.

“And I’m beginning to connect with and respect and enjoy a different part of the sport,” he said at age 35. “I’m still running competitively but I’m also enjoying participation, and that’s very fun.”

Such “fun” lasted well into the night, when the people still cheered the respectable stragglers, and the respectable stragglers had seen some sights.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Ethiopian almost took Hassan out.  

Yeah, that was bullshit.  The Ethiopian filed a protest on Hassan for obstruction (obviously denied) but If Hassan hadn't won I think she would have had grounds for a protest which seems kind of crazy for a marathon.

Hassan is the first with an Olympic medal in the marathon and in a track event since 1952.

19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Man, that men's 800m final was awesome and heartbreaking at the same time. Thought Bryce would run 'em down, but the field was just so ridiculously good. Never thought I'd see four competitors break 1:42 in an Olympic final.

I'm absolutely stoked that the American who is proud to represent her country--Masai Russell--won gold in the 100m hurdles.

And Grant Fisher, holy shit! Bronze might not have quite the luster of gold or silver, but it's still an incredible accomplishment ... and to win TWO of them against those starting lists. Take a bow, Mr. Fisher!

On that note, the entire Team USA track-and-field delegation should take a bow. They gave us some of the best performances and moments in history. It's been an incredible games from an athletics perspective.

I already find myself wondering how the team will look in 4 years and with a host nation bump.