CowPunk

OWLVIS

Oh damn boys. You speak my language.

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I mean . . . Rank & File?  The Hickoids?  The Blasters?

I'm not sure I mentioned it, but my 59 Bassman was used by the Blasters for awhile

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GenXer said:

Social Distortion’s Prison Bound on Live at the Roxy is in my top 5 songs. Off to give it a listen.

Also, Sex, Love and Rock n’ Roll is a damn good album.

I'm not sure I'd call Social D cowpunk. But I agree with all you wrote here.

Mike Ness' solo work is very cowpunk though

Dash Rip Rock was one of my favorite live bands in the day.  I can't say how many times I saw them, almost all of those shows were at Liberty Lunch.  I got to know Bill and Hoaky a bit, because a gal who sang in my band at the time knew them from Louisiana.  I'm telling you, Bill is a super intelligent, talented, creative guy.  Gifted, really.  And Hoaky is insane.  Last I heard he was a fishing boat captain out of south Florida.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am a fan of almost all the bands mentioned above, though some of them I wouldn't really categorize as "cowpunk."  But, hey, who am I to limit what someone else thinks?  I would add the Beat Farmers to the mix.   RIP Country Dick Montana.

[csb re: Meat Puppets]  Back in the 90's, was dating first wife.  She was originally from Phoenix.  Her youngest sister was tight with Curt and Cris Kirkwood, and was a big Puppets fan.  The band was playing McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica, a real cool, small, intimate venue.  Younger sis said she would get me and first wife in to meet the band, see the show, etc.  "Your name will be on the list at the door."    By the time I get off work and get to McCabe's, first wife and younger sis are already inside and upstairs at McCabe's hanging with the band.  I tell the guy at the door my name.  "Sorry, I don't see it on the list."   Furk.  Call wife & she says to give them a little time, younger sis is going to talk to the Kirkwoods and straighten everything out.  Time passes, but my name still doesn't get put on the list.  Make a couple more calls to see what's going on.  The last call I make to first wife, I hear in the background what I was later told was one of the Kirkwood brothers going off on their manager -- "dammit, I told you to get [younger sister's] sister's boyfriend in here now!!"  Two minutes later my name magically appears on the list.  I find out later that there was a limit to the number of people McCabe's would allow the band to put on the list of people who would get comped, so they had to drop someone who was already on the list to get me in.  Manager told McCabe's to drop someone who hadn't shown up yet . . . and that just happened to be Jason Priestley of Beverly Hills 90210 fame.  I wore it like a badge of honor that I got Jason Priestley knocked off the comp list for a Meat Puppets show.  I hope he showed up later and got told to buy a fucking ticket if he wanted to see the band.  [/csb]       

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jason couldn’t make it to the meat puppets show that night. After his shift at the peach pit, he hooked up with the gang to see the flaming lips.

I blame my ex wife for any and all knowledge of 90210 actors, characters and scenes.

• Hook 'Em 1