serious: the hell that i just went through at Georgetown Behavioral Health Institute

Derka

On 8/7/2024 at 3:59 PM, Derka said:

first off thank you for that, that kind of response/empathy/commiseration means more than you know. and you really pin pointed one of the major issues that most folks don’t think about- my mom, psychiatrist, therapist, and friends all want to help me, and i want to help myself, and these are my options. there are no actual real-time solutions.

my mom is still messed up. just earlier today she was visibly upset and still apologizing to me (of course i’ve told her repeatedly that she was just trying to do what she thought would help me), but she can’t help but see how different i’ve been since i’ve come out of that place, and (at times) she’s still wrought with guilt from her decision to try and help me.

beyond that, a common refrain that i’ve hopelessly/helplessly expressed throughout the years is that, “everyone else who’s sick has a place to go when they get sick- their doctor, a pharmacy, the ER, the hospital- there is something out there that’s designed to take care of them when they get the flu, when their blood sugar drops, when they have an ibs flare up, etc. but i don’t have any such place.” there is no place for people like me to go when i haven’t gotten real sleep in over a month and now my mental illness is “flaring” as i call it. i can either try and ride it out at home/in public where i may genuinely be a threat to myself and others, or i can check myself into some place where ill be taken off my meds, mistreated, neglected, and then released in 7-10 days worse off than i was before. those are my options. 

hinestly, i take great pride in how far i’ve come, as well as the fact that i’ve never quit trying to improve myself and my life, considering what my life has been like, and the obstacles that i still face daily. i really am proud to have grown this much, and it means a lot to me when someone here mentions they’ve noticed. so thank you again for that. 🤘🏼 

I hear you on this. Dm me if you ever need. Have been in that cycle before. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i appreciate you both, and i am going to talk to my doctor about that myoclonic jerks treatment.

on a germane note to this thread, last week i was walking into my bedroom when i slipped on some water and tore my meniscus and my lcl. my cat-like speed and reflexes were not enough to save me this time. 😔 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

21 hours ago, Derka said:

i appreciate you both, and i am going to talk to my doctor about that myoclonic jerks treatment.

on a germane note to this thread, last week i was walking into my bedroom when i slipped on some water and tore my meniscus and my lcl. my cat-like speed and reflexes were not enough to save me this time. 😔 

Obligatory...

8a4d45ff-830a-417d-aa64-6e9d0b7c9d32_text.gif