Home food practices

I have a perfect daughter in law except for a few minor things. We have a continuing disagreement over storage of condiments. She refrigerates all of them. Including fast food packets.

So in our house this be what we have in the fridge:

Mayo and all salad dressings

Seafood cocktail sauce

Hoisin sauce

Oyster sauce

Coconut aminos

Not in fridge:

Ketchup

Mustard

Worchestershire

Hot sauce

Barbecue sauce

Soy sauce

Maple syrup

DiL has all of it in the fridge.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Seafood cocktail sauce

Hoisin sauce

Oyster sauce

Coconut aminos

Not in fridge:

Ketchup - Fridge

Mustard - fridge

Worcestershire- not

Hot sauce - depends on style, Louisiana no…. Others maybe fridge

Barbecue sauce - fridge

Soy sauce - not

Maple syrup - fridge

Also pic of daughter in law

Edited by BurntOrange&White

We keep most of that in the refrigerator.  Hot sauce (especially with high vinegar content) is pretty much infinitely stable at room temp.  I'm sure some of the things we refrigerate would be fine, but there's a difference between ketchup on the table at Mel's Diner, which will get used up in a day, and at the house, where it won't get used up for a couple of weeks.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

If its fridged at the store its fridged at home. Unless if its opened. 

Highly acidic stuff shouldnt need it. 

Do I need to refrigerate partially consumed can of tuna?/JSimp

Edited by Incredulity

`
You're a fucking savage, and I expect you to shit your pants on the regular.
We have a bottle of Heinz ketchup around, and it says "refrigerate after opening"
We also keep mustard.  The cheap grocery-yellow stuff, and "Bijan" brand.  Both say to refrigerate after opening.  
As to BBQ sauce, I have a bottle of Stubbs Original.  It also says to refrigerate after opening, but in a different manner..."stick in the fridge" or some such.
Soy sauce also says "refrigerate after opening".
Hot sauce?    I've got a bottle of Trader Joe's Sriracha, which says "refrigerate after opening" as well as their green sauce which says the same. 
Maple Syrup?  We've got a jug of "Kirkland" from Costco, which says "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE MORON".

Your DIL is infinitely smarter than you.  You're lucky your son found a woman that's not an idiot, because your son was raised by fucking raccoons.

Fucking everything says refrigerate after opening because lawyers not food scientists run big food conglomerates.

Your food also has sell by and best by dates which have nothing to do with actual food spoilage; they are marketing cues to get you to throw it out and buy more. Enjoy your ice cold worchestershire sauce dipshit.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Fucking everything says refrigerate after opening because lawyers not food scientists run big food conglomerates.

Are you out of this?  

image.jpeg.b7aeb2b340d7279317950fd695b9c146.jpeg

Edited by Underdog

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Your DIL is infinitely smarter than you.  You're lucky your son found a woman that's not an idiot, because your son was raised by fucking raccoons.

This is the kind of poetry that keeps me coming back to Surly.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

`

You're a fucking savage, and I expect you to shit your pants on the regular.

We have a bottle of Heinz ketchup around, and it says "refrigerate after opening"

We also keep mustard.  The cheap grocery-yellow stuff, and "Bijan" brand.  Both say to refrigerate after opening.  

As to BBQ sauce, I have a bottle of Stubbs Original.  It also says to refrigerate after opening, but in a different manner..."stick in the fridge" or some such.

Soy sauce also says "refrigerate after opening".

Hot sauce?    I've got a bottle of Trader Joe's Sriracha, which says "refrigerate after opening" as well as their green sauce which says the same. 

Maple Syrup?  We've got a jug of "Kirkland" from Costco, which says "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE MORON".

image.gif.1c0b67cde0c0f516266d7108a9f95e4c.gif

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I refrigerate all but maple syrup - that stuff comes from an unrefrigerated tree.

so you like moldy syrup on your pancakes.  got it.

Put it in the fucking fridge.  

Minus the syrup, I keep all that stuff in the fridge after opening.
cdd48d8bd9f42f0650e3c0b67bd49bf6_w200.gif

That’s he point of the thread is just seeing what different folks do. I really don’t care. Just curious.

It’s like folks whining about well done steaks and ketchup on hot dogs. I ain’t eating it so I could give a shit.

15 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I have a perfect daughter in law except for a few minor things. We have a continuing disagreement over storage of condiments. She refrigerates all of them. Including fast food packets.

Seafood cocktail sauce

Hoisin sauce

Oyster sauce

Coconut aminos

Not in fridge:

Ketchup

Mustard

Worchestershire

Hot sauce

Barbecue sauce

Soy sauce

Maple syrup

I put all of that save the maple in the fridge. I also keep a stick of butter under a covered butter plate so there’s some soft when I want it. We make pancakes pretty often and we get the real stuff in smaller jars,  I’ve never had mold on the maple syrup jar or syrup. 

I have space and it’s not going to hurt that stuff. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Room temperature ketchup is far superior to cold ketchup. Kills the flavor. Don’t bother with the whataburger ketchup if serving cold. 

That’s true but also ketchup is by far my least used condiment. I rarely make fries and I trained my kids not to eat it on grilled burgers.  So it’s mostly for if company comes over for burgers or the rare occasion we fry up some potatoes.  Leaving it on a table in a diner is different than trying to store it and hope for the best right up to the expiry date.  I can’t remember the last time we used a full bottle. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

Put your bananas and tomatoes in there while you’re at it.

Interesting trick.  If you have your bananas at just the right ripeness, put them in the fridge and they will stay that way for a couple of weeks.  The skin will brown but the banana will stay right where you want it.

• Like 1

What a weird thread. This is probably a generational question, but do y'all freeze your meat as soon as you buy it? My FIL lives on a ranch/farm near Midland and freezes everything except for milk, eggs, fruits and vegetables. 

My folks do the same. I usually stick meat in the fridge so I have to cook it within a few days. Otherwise, I’d be eating take out for lunch and dinner with a freezer full of meat. 

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Having not owned a refrigerator for 14 years, the only thing we keep in the cooler is mayo. The rest of it is shelf stable imo. 

We cook 99% of our meals though, so we probably go through stuff faster than most people. 

download.png

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting trick.  If you have your bananas at just the right ripeness, put them in the fridge and they will stay that way for a couple of weeks.  The skin will brown but the banana will stay right where you want it.

I'm not falling for the ol' banana in the fridge trick.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

Having not owned a refrigerator for 14 years, the only thing we keep in the cooler is mayo. The rest of it is shelf stable imo. 

We cook 99% of our meals though, so we probably go through stuff faster than most people. 

And, what is the average temperature in your home? 

19 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Seafood cocktail sauce

Hoisin sauce

Oyster sauce

Coconut aminos

Not in fridge:

Ketchup

Mustard

Worchestershire

Hot sauce

Barbecue sauce

Soy sauce

Maple syrup

What an odd thread. Most of the stuff you are bitching about lives in our fridge, too, but mainly because it takes us months to go through a bottle.  Exception is soy and Worchestershire, but those are typically marinades anyway. Also hot sauce, but there is so much vinegar and little sugar and they don't really go bad.

2 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

What an odd thread. Most of the stuff you are bitching about lives in our fridge, too, but mainly because it takes us months to go through a bottle.  Exception is soy and Worchestershire, but those are typically marinades anyway. Also hot sauce, but there is so much vinegar and little sugar and they don't really go bad.

He's trying to say he dislikes his daughter-in-law without saying he dislikes his daughter-in-law. 

4 minutes ago, mycox said:

If it's safe enough for restaurants and diners to keep these items out in the open, then it safe enough for me to keep them in my pantry.

do you think you use ketchup at the same rate as a burger joint?  Do you use hot sauce at the same rate as a Mexican joint?  How many customers per day eat at your table?  Is your syrup consumed at the same rate as IHOP?

• Hook 'Em 1

Vinegar has infinite shelf life.  It can get cloudy.  I'd say vinegar-heavy hot sauces, especially with big chile pepper content, they're pretty safe.

On a separate note, I think honey can't go bad on the shelf.  I think it's the most stable food product out there.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What a weird thread. This is probably a generational question, but do y'all freeze your meat as soon as you buy it? My FIL lives on a ranch/farm near Midland and freezes everything except for milk, eggs, fruits and vegetables. 

My folks do the same. I usually stick meat in the fridge so I have to cook it within a few days. Otherwise, I’d be eating take out for lunch and dinner with a freezer full of meat. 

I keep it in the fridge and freeze it if it’s close to expiry and I don’t have a plan to cook it. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Bee vomit just isn't my thing but that is a cool fact about honey, that it can stay edible indefinitely.

Fucking bees.  I understand their importance to the environment, and if I see one in my pool I fish them out immediately.  I've saved hundreds of them.   The other day I get out of the shower..it's hot here so the window is open, and it's a casement window with no screen. But, we have no real bug problem so WGAF?  .I  grab the towel off the hook, and there's a bee in the towel. Cocksucker stung me, on the finger.  Could have been worse. 

Edited by Gil Bang