AAA worth it?

Grimas

Posted (edited)

Searched but didn’t see a previous thread…

kids going to school at UArk and the drive to home is about 500 miles.  Not much in terms of population once you get into Ok and Arkansas where you can get car repair if needed so was looking at getting an AAA membership for the kids as you can get a “premier” membership which will give you a 200 mile tow if needed. I already have towing coverage on my insurance and Chase card but don’t think the tow will get them more than to the nearest town.  Any thoughts on if it’s worth the membership? (I tried to get one because it says you get an additional member added to your account “for free” but when I went to sign-up, they were still charging something like $26/year for the “ free” added member…)

thoughts?

Edited by Grimas

It's worth it for us.  Until last week, our newest car was 9 years old.  Shit breaks.  Tows happen.  AAA is WAY WAY WAY cheaper than paying for a tow over maybe 10 miles.  Plus, they get to handle simple things like swapping a flat for the spare and I don't roll around on the asphalt in the process.  Tip:  pay for the extra towing radius, it's worth it for peace of mind with kids that are long distance.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Thanks- that was my thought to get my wife as primary and one of the kids as the dependent as the wife will usually be in the car with me but might make some solo trips and one kid as the other should be in the car with the other one and as long as you are in the car, you’re covered.  I figure it better to get towed back to a larger town with some options than to be at the mercy of the one mechanic on the reservation looking to have you pay for their kids college as well…

I took a hit with the basic coverage when our 4Runner went into "limp mode" one Sunday on an East TX soccer trip.  Had to have it towed to Bastrop from damn near Conroe, if memory serves.  I believe it was $7/mile.  That adds up quick.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I took a hit with the basic coverage when our 4Runner went into "limp mode" one Sunday on an East TX soccer trip.  Had to have it towed to Bastrop from damn near Conroe, if memory serves.  I believe it was $7/mile.  That adds up quick.

damn did you call around ?

had a water pump give out between San Antonio and Houston, cost me $120 to get it back to Houston

Edited by tx 3 putt

It was all I could do to find a long-distance tow on a Sunday.  They were slammed.  I think it cost me over $300.  Not my finest moment.  At least my son and I got to eat some shitty BBQ while waiting.  My wife got to drive out from Austin, she was thrilled.

Absolutely worth it. I pay for the premium that allows me to be towed up to 200 miles because God knows where I'll be when I can't start my car.

A few years ago I got a rental pickup truck to go on a photo safari. I was in West Texas at Mitre Peak when I locked my keys in the truck. I couldn't believe it. I was tempted to bash the window out with a rock. I called Triple A and it took about two hours (it was a Sunday afternoon) but they sent somebody from Fort Stockton who had a slim jim and got me into the truck in no time.  I don't know what the replacement cost of a passenger window in a brand new Dodge Ram truck would have been, but I was glad to see that dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, AAA will come out and unlock your car, change your tire, jump or replace your battery, etcetera, as well. With two teen drivers, I would think all of those are added benefits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I have one teeen driver (18) and another on the way (15).  Whats the benfit to AAA vs the towing coverage on your auto insurance?

I think that depends on the coverage.  It may not differ much at all.  One thing I know to be true about AAA is that they tend to hit their 45 minute response time far more often than not.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I have one teeen driver (18) and another on the way (15).  Whats the benfit to AAA vs the towing coverage on your auto insurance?

Not having to deal with your fucking insurance.

• Hook 'Em 2

All good pts.  I'm not super worried about my son but his car has given him some problems.  Im more for my daughter I dont want her stuck out at her soccer fields at 930 with a car that wont start.   So Im going to sign up

It's so cheap, I think it's absolutely worth it.  Just know that every driver only gets so many service calls per year (I think 3).  Although, I have re-upped for a 12 month subscription when I've run out of calls on one driver and they haven't changed the monthly rate, they just extend it and re-load the service calls for everyone.

I think there is a yearly limit for usage.  IIRC, 4x for primary and 2x for secondary users.  The value for me is towing, so I wouldn't call AAA to jump a battery.  I use it for towing at least once a year.  That, plus the peace of mind for my girls when traveling, makes it a no brainer for me.  I also use it for booking hotel rooms - often similar price to pre-paid price and 24 hour out cancellation.

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think there is a yearly limit for usage.  IIRC, 4x for primary and 2x for secondary users.  The value for me is towing, so I wouldn't call AAA to jump a battery.  I use it for towing at least once a year.  That, plus the peace of mind for my girls when traveling, makes it a no brainer for me.  I also use it for booking hotel rooms - often similar price to pre-paid price and 24 hour out cancellation.

Twice in the time I've had AAA, I have had them come out for a battery. They don't just jump start it. They actually test it, and if it's bad, they replace it. Both times they replaced mine with a high quality battery for cheaper than I could get it at AutoZone or such. Plus, I didn't have to fuck with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The $100 NOCO battery charger (or something similar) is well worth it for me. I bought one for my sister for Xmas once. I could tell she was underwhelmed when she got the gift, but her opinion changed when it saved her ass a few times. Thing holds a charge for  ever and I've jumped my own battery  and countless others. Fuck waiting 45 minutes for someone to come jump a car. Plus it doubles as a phone charger, flashlight, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC?th=1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grimas said:

thoughts?

One of the best things about AAA is the vetting they do before they associate their name with a local company/driver.  The communication and interpersonal skills of a AAA person compared to your run of the mill tow truck driver is probably the most valuable thing I’ve experienced with them in over 30 years using the service.  

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The $100 NOCO battery charger (or something similar) is well worth it for me. I bought one for my sister for Xmas once. I could tell she was underwhelmed when she got the gift, but her opinion changed when it saved her ass a few times. Thing holds a charge for  ever and I've jumped my own battery  and countless others. Fuck waiting 45 minutes for someone to come jump a car. Plus it doubles as a phone charger, flashlight, etc...

these are great.  i don't have this brand, but everyone in my family has a battery jumper and small portable air compressor that plugs into the cig lighter, courtesy of me.  required for every vehicle, IMO.  both units fit into a tiny duffel and go into the trunk or backseat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Yea, I already have a portable jumper and air compressor in their car and the campus parking offers free jumps and assistance to students if parked in a campus lot.  My concern is that there is a whole lot of nothing between Fayettnam and Dallas and the few town that are along the route don’t appear to have more than one repair shop in them (if any). Water pump blows enroute, tow it to Dallas, Tulsa or Fayetteville where I have options rather than the one-toothed mechanic in some one-stoplight town…

I “think” they now know how to change a spare now but I wanted a backup plan for them.  (Changing a tire in the driveway where I have a 4 ton hydraulic jack and impact tools isn’t the same as on the side of the road with trucks blowing by at 80mph…) :)

(Yea, I purchased the AAA premiere plan this morning for them and mom (no pics)). Of course, I jinxed myself as it takes 7 days to kick in and we leave on Wednesday to dump them off…)

Edited by Grimas

I’ve used AAA towing twice within the last 8 months. There’s a short in my dash, I hope is finally fixed. 

It’s $10 a month. Worth it sure, but I’ll try to fix it first before I call them. Their response times can be very poor. Weekday business hours, fast. Saturday night, 2-3 hours. Same thing applies for tow truck driver. Business hours, you’ll get a pro. Saturday night, you’re going to get a guy leaving the bar.

OP it sounds like situation is a bit unique. I assume your kid is driving from Houston to Fayetteville. If your kid is a female, I’d fly her back and forth. Even with AAA, she could catch a sketchy driver late at night. If your son is a Young Life type with a new car, you might be OK.

Regardless, if they’re driving back on the weekends, response time is going to be slow. I’d strongly suggest you get their car looked at/serviced every time they come home. I drove back and forth between Austin to Houston every week for about a year. I let stuff go on my 9-10 year old Civic and it turned into a brick. 

Got AAA at the first of this year and haven't had to use them yet, other than using their discount for hotels. 

Not sure if mentioned but I've heard if you use your auto insurance for roadside, they treat it like a claim.  And the way insurers are looking for any reason to jack up rates and/or terminate, I figured AAA would easily end up paying for itself in that regard.

Guess I'm on the opposite side, I'm done with their app and customer service. 

I used to have roadside and auto insurance. This is where I learned they want you to login to their app on a frequent basis. Because I had no need to do so, no car troubles, everything on auto pay, I never logged in.  When I went for my state inspection,  instead of the thumbprint login, the app asked for username and password, which I couldn't remember.  Then it asked me for my autoclub zip code, which I move so much (did I set this up in El Paso, New Braunfels or Austin?) Got a couple tries in, nope. Your membership is canceled.  

Switched auto insurance that day, got my state inspection,  re-upped on my roadside only for them to cancel me again.  Now I have to call customer service and deal with it. I paid in full (my bad). 

I'd also like an email if you're going to cancel my membership and a refund. My ass just drove 3.5 hours to Austin and back thinking I was good. 

I need roadside assistance for the amount of driving I do, so I'm going to explore other options. 

Bottom line,  don't think you can count on them like its you dad's AAA, it's not. I'm sure they still get the job done, that's why I re-upped on the roadside,  but I have also heard from tow drivers how they won't answer AAA calls because they are slow to pay. I'd call customer service right now, but they're closed for the day. Glad I'm not broken down on the side of the road and their app won't work. 

I got it, it’s worth it. Peace of mind alone, but your point about changing a tire on the side of the highway vs. the driveway is big one. Plus if they ever ride with someone whose battery dies, etc, then your daughter can still use her AAA to get help. You made a good decision. 

Plus it does help with some rental car and hotel discounts. I just got a AAA discount with Hertz for a weekend traveling with a rental car that paid for a couple months’ of AAA. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve used AAA towing twice within the last 8 months. There’s a short in my dash, I hope is finally fixed. 

It’s $10 a month. Worth it sure, but I’ll try to fix it first before I call them. Their response times can be very poor. Weekday business hours, fast. Saturday night, 2-3 hours. Same thing applies for tow truck driver. Business hours, you’ll get a pro. Saturday night, you’re going to get a guy leaving the bar.

OP it sounds like situation is a bit unique. I assume your kid is driving from Houston to Fayetteville. If your kid is a female, I’d fly her back and forth. Even with AAA, she could catch a sketchy driver late at night. If your son is a Young Life type with a new car, you might be OK.

Regardless, if they’re driving back on the weekends, response time is going to be slow. I’d strongly suggest you get their car looked at/serviced every time they come home. I drove back and forth between Austin to Houston every week for about a year. I let stuff go on my 9-10 year old Civic and it turned into a brick. 

Twin boys (HS football players) will be sharing one car that just had a full crawl-over by a mechanic, new tires, rear diff, water pump, timing chain and belts so not too worried about the car but more for peace of mind. Also have family in N. Dallas so they have that as a halfway point if needed and I don’t see them driving much other than home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

From the Texas border across OK and Ark, it a whole bunch of nothing  - compared to Houston to Dallas or Austin to Dallas - where if you have an issue, it’s gonna be a long tow… Add ice and snow in the winter and 18 year olds… Even if it takes a while for a response, it’ll be faster than me or a relative having to drag ass up there with a flatbed to get them which is why I went ahead and bought AAA Premier…

Flights from IAH to Bentonville are a bitch to get at decent rates and if you go via Tulsa, it’s still 2 hour drive across a bunch of nothingness.

Don't care about the rest of the AAA benefits beyond the towing as I already have lifetime Gold at Hertz and tons of miles from Marriot and Chase…

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Plus it does help with some rental car and hotel discounts. I just got a AAA discount with Hertz for a weekend traveling with a rental car that paid for a couple months’ of AAA. 

The Hertz rate with the standard AAA discount is better than the rates offered with other discounts, e.g, AARP.  And, I can almost always find a AAA weekend or weekly rental promo code for additional savings.  Bottom line, I can never find a better rate for a major at-airport rental, than what I get with Hertz through AAA.

Battery service has also saved my ass several times. 

member for a long time and totally worth it for what you pay annually.

i am not even sure i could change my own tire anymore if i had to. Tire shops tighten the lug nuts with those pneumatic tools so tight, i cant get 'em loose with a tire iron. 

Used them this past year when i had a dead battery and the guy in the truck had a battery ready to install. it was right at an hour from initial call to working vehicle.

Plus what number am i calling at night in the middle of nowhere if i am having car troubles?

Have the 155 in my truck and it's saved my butt more than a few times.

On 8/5/2024 at 12:41 PM, Deej said:

Twice in the time I've had AAA, I have had them come out for a battery. They don't just jump start it. They actually test it, and if it's bad, they replace it. Both times they replaced mine with a high quality battery for cheaper than I could get it at AutoZone or such. Plus, I didn't have to fuck with it. 

Same thing for me plus a tow. Absolutely worth it, especially considering my wife’s general competency. 

• Hook 'Em 2