3467.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
USC
0-0 199 0 NR - 23/23
3426.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
0-0 186 0 NR - 24/24
3434.png?format=png8&auto=webp&width=30
0-0 148 0 NR - 25/25

Others Receiving Votes

Washington 123; Louisville 95; Virginia Tech 64; SMU 47; Memphis 44; Boise State 30; Auburn 25; West Virginia 22; Wisconsin 17; Liberty 15; Iowa State 15; Kentucky 12; Florida 11; South Carolina 10; North Carolina 6; UNLV 5; Maryland 5; UCF 4; Texas Tech 4; UTSA 3; Tulane 2; Texas State 2; Nebraska 2; Colorado 2; Appalachian State 2; Troy 1; Syracuse 1; Miami (OH) 1; James Madison 1; Air Force 1;

Pasting as regular text makes it a mess, so I posted what I copied so folks don't have to click the link.

• Hook 'Em 5

• hornbri changed the title to Pre Season Coaches Poll

It's an interesting year ahead of the season, to say the least. Yeah Georgia, Ohio State and Bama in the top 5 is more of a "usual suspects" thing than a reflection of parity, but all 3 of those teams have major flaws that can lead to failing to do much this season. Here are some of my thoughts, initially on the top 2 and spoilered for the tl;dr crowd:

Spoiler

1) Georgia - They've just been defaulted this placement due to the dismantling of a shell bowl team in FSU and Beck coming back. They lost their 3 of their best players on offense in Van Pram, Bowers and McConkey. Mims was drafted in the first but was hurt as much as he played. Etienne is an excellent addition, as the UGa backs have mostly been living off of recruiting pedigree and program brand rather than production for the past few years.

Defensively, they do not have the same bullies they've been thriving off of for the last half decade+. Upfront is similar to the TB spot with a bunch of well-known and highly ranked dudes who haven't done much. Mondon and Starks are All-American candidates and the rest of the back 7 are guys named Bob. 

Also, the schedule is a bitch. Clemson in ATL, @Kentucky, off, @ Bama, Auburn is a bitch, then @ Texas, off, Florida in Jville, @ Ole Miss, Tenn is a motherfucker too. They can be a really good team and go 10-2/9-3. 

Also also, Mike Bobo. 

2) Ohio State - OSU's PR team did a great fucking job this offseason. This is a team that just looked like hammered dogshit to finish their prior year with a pathetic Cotton Bowl showing. They run off their QB thinking they're landing Cam Ward and wind up with Will Howard from KSU. Howard is not an upgrade and he will inevitably attempt to lose them a few games during the season with turnovers. They have a lauded TB room that either can't stay healthy or have taken a ton of bullets already. The WRs are great. They'll have a middling OL again and that is a perpetual weak spot for Day with recruiting and development. I think that is actually the soft underbelly of Day's Ohio State, really. 

Defensively, numerous NFL guys are back and they added Downs at S. They'll be excellent on that side of the ball. 

Schedule-wise, the non-con is shamefully dickless. 3 indefensible cream puffs. They do have a 5 week run that is kind of sneaky in the middle, depending upon what you believe. They play Iowa at home. Iowa will inevitably have a top 10 defense that OSU will dismantle in a shutout, but it's not a complete gimme. Then, they go to Eugene, get an off week, play a stealthily decent and tough Nebraska team at home before going to Happy Valley. If James Franklin's bitch ass is ever going to earn his fucking salary, it will be this game. Still, a weak schedule overall. If Ohio State isn't 11-1 after 12 games, Day really should be on the hot seat. 

I'll save the rest of my bloviating for other posts here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Whomever that voter is probably has some personal rule that the defending champ gets to be preseason #1 headed into next season. 

I guess. Seems like a good rule to break when the HC that basically is the program leaves. 

People talk about the Florida schedule this season, and rightfully so. Accordingly, at least in part due to that, Florida is unranked and barely receiving any votes. All of that and Florida is actually returning its QB and 8 total starters on offense. 

Now consider USC. These guys are ranked #23. They lost their star QB. They return just 5 starters on offense. On defense, they bring back 9, but it's not clear that that is a positive. Beyond all of that, their schedule rivals that of Florida's and no one seems to notice. 

USC opens against LSU in Vegas, then they play 2023 bowl team Utah State. Their other non-con is Notre Dame. 2 P4 programs that open the year in the top 15. 

They get a bye week following Utah State then go @ Michigan, Wisconsin, @ Minnesota, Penn State, @ Maryland, Rutgers, @ Washington in consecutive weeks. That could be 9 bowl teams to open the season. They then get an off week and go Nebraska, @ UCLA (LA though), Notre Dame. 

There is not a true gimme on the schedule and only 2-4 teams where you can figure they'll be favored while looking at it now (UState, Rutgers, Minne, UCLA). 

USC should not be ranked. It's lazy voting. They're more likely to go 6-6 than 9-3. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Whomever that voter is probably has some personal rule that the defending champ gets to be preseason #1 headed into next season. 

Yeah I was thinking of the old "the champ is the champ until somebody beats them"

On the other hand never before have the polls meant so little, so it could just mean that that coach just didn't care and sent in their final poll from last year.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

People talk about the Florida schedule this season, and rightfully so. Accordingly, at least in part due to that, Florida is unranked and barely receiving any votes. All of that and Florida is actually returning its QB and 8 total starters on offense. 

Counterpoint: That QB is Graham Mertz.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Counterpoint: That QB is Graham Mertz.

I know I'm an idiot for engaging in this argument with you, but for the folks watching from home:

Graham Mertz in 2023: 261/358 for 73% completions. 2,903 yards and 20 TD to 3 INTs. ESPN Rating of 157.8.

Quinn Ewers in 2023: 272/394 for 69% completions. 3,479 yards and 22 TD to 6 INTS. ESPN Rating of 158.6. 

Mertz is a good QB. Not great, but the memes about the guy have distorted reality. 

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Now consider USC. These guys are ranked #23. They lost their star QB. They return just 5 starters on offense. On defense, they bring back 9, but it's not clear that that is a positive. Beyond all of that, their schedule rivals that of Florida's and no one seems to notice. 

USC opens against LSU in Vegas, then they play 2023 bowl team Utah State. Their other non-con is Notre Dame. 2 P4 programs that open the year in the top 15. 

They get a bye week following Utah State then go @ Michigan, Wisconsin, @ Minnesota, Penn State, @ Maryland, Rutgers, @ Washington in consecutive weeks. That could be 9 bowl teams to open the season. They then get an off week and go Nebraska, @ UCLA (LA though), Notre Dame. 

There is not a true gimme on the schedule and only 2-4 teams where you can figure they'll be favored while looking at it now (UState, Rutgers, Minne, UCLA). 

USC should not be ranked. It's lazy voting. They're more likely to go 6-6 than 9-3. 

I agree with one of the recent podcasts I heard re: USC. They need a normal, drama free 8-4 and then look ahead to 2025. Doesn’t seem likely to happen but I’d sign up for it if I were a USC fan. 

13 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I know I'm an idiot for engaging in this argument with you, but for the folks watching from home:

Graham Mertz in 2023: 261/358 for 73% completions. 2,903 yards and 20 TD to 3 INTs. ESPN Rating of 157.8.

Quinn Ewers in 2023: 272/394 for 69% completions. 3,479 yards and 22 TD to 6 INTS. ESPN Rating of 158.6. 

Mertz is a good QB. Not great, but the memes about the guy have distorted reality. 

Florida is my second favorite team so I watch a lot of their games. The only thing Mertz does well is not egregiously fuck up. He doesn’t take risks and he’s not a guy I want if the game is on the line and we need plays made.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm not sure which is funnier: Michigan with a #1 vote or aggy at #20.

Aggy should be top 5 just on the basis of being SEC ready, which is something Texas can't even understand. 

Aggie-Strategery.jpg

I truly don't get the Oregon ahead of Texas argument. One has been to the playoffs, the other has not. Lanning lost to Washington twice in a season. Are they a good team? I'm sure. Are they elite? Time will tell. But I don't think they should be ahead of a team that has made it to the mountain. 

But whatever. 

• Like 1

I keep seeing shit about this being maybe the most talented Ohio State team ever, and it’s like they just ignore that Will Howard is their trigger man. He wasn’t even the best qb on his own middling team last year.

And let’s honest about Chip Kelly - he hasn’t been considered innovative in a decade. The defense is going to outstanding and I suppose the schedule is dogshit so it would be stunning to see them out of the playoff, but I just don’t buy them overall. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I keep seeing shit about this being maybe the most talented Ohio State team ever, and it’s like they just ignore that Will Howard is their trigger man. He wasn’t even the best qb on his own middling team last year.

And let’s honest about Chip Kelly - he hasn’t been considered innovative in a decade. The defense is going to outstanding and I suppose the schedule is dogshit so it would be stunning to see them out of the playoff, but I just don’t buy them overall. 

I remember Will Howard losing to Murphy last year. Also can never forget him missing the wide open receiver on 3rd and goal in OT. He is a game manager, not a difference maker. 

11 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I remember Will Howard losing to Murphy last year. Also can never forget him missing the wide open receiver on 3rd and goal in OT. He is a game manager, not a difference maker. 

They did ok with krenzel at qb, when the rest of the team was strong. Barely won every single game. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Cam Rising is healthy and can stay healthy Utah should pretty easily win the Big 12.

I love that all the idiot Tech and TCU fans now have to root for Utah and Colorado to keep their also-ran conference relevant for at least a year or two....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, linux said:

Just my two cents, the SEC chant can only be done ironically to torture aggies at games, nowhere else.

And only then after a quarter of vigorous poooooooooooor aggy chants

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, WBT said:

And only then after a quarter of vigorous poooooooooooor aggy chants

And a healthy dose of condescending "know your place" that is a trifecta of them going nuclear on command.