[Adjacent to Gameday] Texas @ The Big House - A Blue Blood Party by Surly Horns

immamac

Tailgate Prices  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you pay for a Pre and Post game Tailgate Area (8AM till they kick us out) - Inclusive of Food and Beverage.

• $100 - Solid selection of a meal equivalent + canned beer/seltzer/wine + Liquor bar
    • $85 - Selection of finger foods + canned beer/seltzer/wine + batched cocktails
    • $75 - Selection of snacks + some mains for people + canned beer/seltzer/wine only
  2. 2. Will you be going to Ann Arbor for the Michigan game?

• Yes - I have no plans
    • Yes - I already have another tailgate/plans
    • No - I am interested in a watch party in Austin

This poll is closed to new votes

I was perfectly content missing this one as late as 10 days ago with a busy fall schedule already and lots of good home games, but started getting the itch last week and after buddy reminded me they still had an extra room at their air bnb (while on my 3rd or 4th marg), pulled the trigger on a flight last night and procured a tailgate ticket this AM.  Can't wait.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Texas4138 said:

Are there any tickets left for this event? We need 2. Thanks.

Did you email me? I have an extremely limited quantity left pretty much only for people who are already friends with attendees or that I know personally. 

I physically only have 500 alcohol wristbands and 100 NA/Kid ones. We are completely sold out at 450+50

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TxEx84 said:

Might I kindly request a few more diet cokes? One in my group will probably drink 20 of those by himself.  I wish I were kidding.

Bring your own, I'm not kidding lol. I'm not able to return any product. I'm not over ordering, I want nearly nothing left. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, immamac said:

I added to the menu pretty significantly and now that we are sold out I guess it's time to update everyone. 

Breakfast/early apps

Smoked whitefish dip and homemade chips. 

Fresh fruit display, variety of fruits

Mains

Whole hog (200lber)

Supplemental pulled pork

Pulled Chicken

Pulled jackfruit

Sides

cole slaw

Orzo salad

Mexican street corn (elote) off cob

Rolls/butter

Fun stuff

personal charcuterie cups (only 350 of these bad boys) 

100 cases of beer

40 model, 20 coors light, 20 lebatts blue, 20 variety topo seltzer (2400 cans)

1 case of pinot noir

1 case of pinot grigio

1 case of liquor (light on purpose)

4 bottles of Titos, wild Turkey 101, tequila

Zing zang for bloodies and premium marg mix for margs 

12 cases of water (960 waters)

10 cases of mini gatorades(480)

Sprite 70 cans

Coke/diet coke 35+35

Ginger 10 1L

Club soda 10 1L

Tonic 10 1L

If we run low on booze by kick I'll order another 20+ cases for after-party. 

Beer order seems lite for 450 drinkers. 

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

The ESPN stage will probably face the opposite direction (toward State St).  I'm not sure where the Fox Big Noon Kickoff setup will be, but in years past, I've read ESPN previously set up on the golf course across from Michigan Stadium.

They set up in pioneer lot/field. 

5 hours ago, immamac said:

Did you email me? I have an extremely limited quantity left pretty much only for people who are already friends with attendees or that I know personally. 

I physically only have 500 alcohol wristbands and 100 NA/Kid ones. We are completely sold out at 450+50

No, I did not email you. I literally forgot to purchase the tickets last week.

13 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

The ESPN stage will probably face the opposite direction (toward State St).  I'm not sure where the Fox Big Noon Kickoff setup will be, but in years past, I've read ESPN previously set up on the golf course across from Michigan Stadium.

There are buildings between GameDay setup and State Street. It seems weird that it would face that way as there's little room. Guess we'll see in a couple of days.

image.thumb.png.58ad0579ab0248477564581a4e84aba4.png

Background as to what Jesse Owens did on that track in 1935.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/02/19/jesse-owens-column-windsor/80593930/

Before Berlin, Jesse Owens made history at Michigan

Shawn Windsor
Detroit Free Press

It has been called the greatest performance in track history. What Jesse Owens did in 45 minutes at the University of Michigan in 1935.

Four events. Four world records. A run-up for what Owens would do a year later in Berlin, before Adolf Hitler, when the sprinter grabbed hold of the 1936 Olympics with four gold medals and, thus, the world’s imagination.

It’s hard to fathom what that moment must have been like for Owens, who was celebrated as the face of the American collage but was treated as a second-class citizen back home. A new movie, “Race,” which opens in theaters today, tries to capture what Owens’ ascension was like, from high school phenom to Ohio State star to transcendent Olympian.

No step was bigger than that day in Ann Arbor, at Ferry Field, during the conference track and field championships. He began with the 100-yard dash, tying the world record at 9.4 seconds. He followed with the long jump — 26 feet, 81/4 inches, besting the record by 6 inches.

From there, he ran the 220, finishing in 20.3, three-tenths of a second better than the record. What a sight that must have been, watching Owens churn through the crushed cinder — the favored surface of its day — blazing 220 yards without a curve.

Back then the 220 was run on a straightaway, with one side of the oval extended into a sort of chute. Some 10,000 onlookers packed the wooden stands surrounding Ferry Field. What they witnessed was surely breathtaking, as the sophomore from Ohio State set or tied three world records in little more than a half an hour.

Owens’ final event came at 4 p.m., or 45 minutes after his first. He ran the 220 low hurdles in 22.6 seconds; almost a half-second quicker than anyone had ever run.

The track star first made news when he tied the world record in the 100 as a high school senior. He arrived in Columbus — from Cleveland — as something of a marvel. Yet his transition was difficult, according to the movie, through no fault of his own.

Owens endured all manner of hate and slurs at Ohio State, from those within the athletic department and from those without. The sports world was in awe of his speed and power, but the sports world — then, as today — is merely a reflection of everything else, which meant that “awe” often came with a cost.

As the movie makes clear, Owens didn’t just face racism in Hitler’s Germany. He dealt with it here, every day. Thus, the movie’s title: “Race.”

Its release feels timely as we continue to grapple with our fears and differences, as we try to figure out how to undo the injustices that persist — they are plenty. Obviously, no single movie will heal us.

James put in the work to portray Jesse Owens

Yet the story of Owens is a reminder that the stories we tell ourselves are often the gauzy versions that prevent us from changing what we truly should. Owens’ achievement at the 1936 Olympics was monumental, for its athletic statement, for its social context, for its slap-down of the Fuhrer and his Aryan nonsense.

But the ugliness he faced back home was no less caustic. “Race” doesn’t let us forget this, even as it celebrates one of the great athletes this country has ever produced.

His titanic accomplishment in Ann Arbor during the spring of 1935 is our connection to Owens’ global story. He kicked up cinder and earth on a swath of land that is tucked into U-M’s athletic complex.

Ferry Field remains, though not in its original incarnation. A rubber-decked oval engulfs part of the old grounds now. At the southeast corner of the track, affixed to a short, brick wall, is a plaque commemorating Owens’ place in U-M history.

Imagine that?

A Buckeye.

“A great gesture,” said Mike McGuire, who coaches U-M’s women’s cross-country team, and who met Owens in the early 1970s at a conference meet.

Owens had been invited back to serve as an honorary referee; McGuire was there as a fan — he’d been recruited to run at the school.

“He was very gracious to spend time with a couple of 17-year-olds,” McGuire said.

The cross-country coach shares his story of meeting Owens — and of the track icon’s outsized achievements — with his young runners every year.

Most haven’t heard of Owens, who died in 1980. So McGuire will encourage them to see the movie, too, even though he is not a moviegoer by nature.

“This is one I’m planning on,” he said.

There is simply too much history to ignore. Especially when he sees a small piece of it every day.

Edited by TxEx84
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

There are buildings between GameDay setup and State Street. It seems weird that it would face that way as there's little room. Guess we'll see in a couple of days.

I only figure that to accomodate the home crowd + signs and flags, but it would be awesome if they're facing our tailgate.

1 hour ago, TxEx84 said:

image.thumb.png.58ad0579ab0248477564581a4e84aba4.png

ESPN producers have been reading surly. Once they realized the surly tailgate was next to them, they had no choice but to face the other way.

• Haha 2