Chappell Roan

Celery Man

Just an absolute monster daytime crowd for Lollapalooza

I don't know the whole biography, I think it's something like she was a minor youtube star for a second, got a record deal, well received record that didn't succeed commercially and got dropped, went back home to missouri, and then just absolutely blew up over the course of 2024. She's got something like 5 songs on the charts, she's kinda the biggest star there is right now or at least the hottest. Gen Z Madonna/Gaga. There's been some discussion in the girly pop songs thread but she's reached critical mass where even middle aged dudes who don't pay attention are starting or going to start seeing the name.

On 5/17/2024 at 2:29 PM, wutang75 said:

Get on that Chappell Roan. Entire album is catchy.

My all time girly pop song I crank is I “Think We’re Alone Now”.

“See You Again”
“Since You Been Gone”

On 7/14/2024 at 9:47 PM, mdmost said:

On 7/19/2024 at 10:21 PM, Celery Man said:

Yeah just came here for Pink Pony Club. Good Luck Babe has been sneaking into my playlists and I like it, but I just listened to Pink Pony Club like 7 times in a row. I’m going to have a dance party with my daughter tomorrow.

Her ACL show this fall is gonna be insane.  I wouldn't want to be on another stage during her time slot.

Regarding her music, it's fine.  I mostly just like seeing how engaged her audience is.  Good for her.

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Jesus H. Christ. That is some horrifically boring, unoriginal music. I weep for our future.

Hot To Go is not my favorite. Pink Pony Club is great and is the first song of hers that clicked for me, it’s no more boring and until than any of the other songs following the same basic formats that pop music (including boomer rock and certainly blues) has been made out of forever. Casual is really good but also I’m feeling very boomerish in how squeamish it makes me.

The girl I'm dating has been singing her for months now, and the Red Wine Supernova song got a catchy hook (the other 2 or 3 I've heard are very meh), but I cannot stand the "let's go girls!" talking/chanting/ranting on the tracks. Something about the theater kid energy and kidz bop backup singing/chanting turns me off. Also seems unoriginal like a throwback straight to the 80s (Cyndi Lauper vibes). 

I've been a huge Kendrick Lamar fan since his first run leading up to his first album, but when he dropped "To Pimp A Butterfly" I was comfortable skipping it, because it seemed like a very targeted album to Black folk and Black issues.... Chapell Roan seems very targeted to girls and gays, and I'm fine letting them have it. Not everything is made for me obviously. I'll be glad to get over to the Miller Lite stage early for the Remi Wolf set Weekend 2 at ACL. She's another 20-something pop artist who has a lot more funk, groove, and originality than what I've heard from Roan so far. Not to shit on her entirely, she's not blowing up because she's talentless. 

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Also seems unoriginal like a throwback straight to the 80s (Cyndi Lauper vibes). 

this is the first song of hers that I noticed working its way into my algorithms, and I looked her up to check that she wasn't a contemporary of kate bush

for sure she's embracing the gay, although it's a different world than even 15 years ago in terms of how mainstream you can be while adopting a drag queen persona and singing a song about dancing at a gay club

She's a great songwriter. I don't think she needs all the makeup and theatrics but she's young, she can do what she wants. 

And slightly related news, my friend's daughter (who I've posted about in another thread) made her Lollapalooza debut this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I've been a huge Kendrick Lamar fan since his first run leading up to his first album, but when he dropped "To Pimp A Butterfly" I was comfortable skipping it, because it seemed like a very targeted album to Black folk and Black issues....

what...the fuck

It's not at all my kind of music, but my wife is really into her and it seems like pretty much every woman under the age of 40 in the Midwest has become mildly obsessed with her, so it's sort of inescapable in my life.

It's definitely thoughtful, well done pop music.  I just don't really like pop music.