Ski Season 2024/2025

texasdago

Time to start talking about next season... I'm really hoping I can get more days in this year.  May be able to get creative since one of my sons now seems to be able to follow me on "some" challenging terrain.  Makes me very happy to be honest.  Really want to try to hit up Taos again.  Just him and I.  Drive up, get a few days in, drive back.  

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on two tickets to Geneva with miles.  I now just need to time buying two more tickets with $.  Still... buying two with miles probably saves us $2000 - $2400.  

I was leaning towards going back to Chamonix but I'm 70/30 on going back to Serre Chevalier.  We only skied it one day in March of 2023 and I really liked what I saw.  So much terrain, so much freeskiing to be found and the guides there are amazing.  We have a hotel booked for now in Monetier Les Bains on the far end of Serre Chevalier.  We'll see if we stick with it.  Why there?

- Expansive terrain - 60 lifts spread across the whole valley and all interconnected

- Snowsure terrain - 80% above 2000 meters and some say the tree skiing below is some of the best in Europe

- Mentioned it before... French guides and instructors are great and prices are reasonable

- Briancon is a killer town... at the other end of the valley.  I'm sure we'll hit up a few times

- Six day pass allows you to go over to Italy and ski the Via Lattea, Deux Alpes or Puy St. Vincent.  Will most likely make a day trip to one of those

- AND... very likely that one day I will put my son in freestyle lessons for the day while I get a guide and go over to La Grave.  My guide in 2023 suggested going there together one day and I ended up not doing it.  Regretted it afterwards.

Anyway...

Piste Map: xlarge.jpg or 

image.thumb.png.ab49f3bc995be0432591503276f5d5cf.png

Info on freeriding:

https://fatmap.com/discover/france/hautes-alpes/serre-chevalier/freeride-skiing

(Check out that link before Strave nukes Fatmap in October 2024)

Powderhounds review - https://www.powderhounds.com/Europe/France/Serre-Chevalier/Ski-Resort.aspx

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Booked Whitefish for week during New Years and Spring Break for entire family.  Just got back from spending summer there.  Only cure to sadness of returning to Houston was to book a couple trips.

Also going to ski Aspen during February with just couples.  Probably stay 4 nights.  Lyle Lovett is playing Belly Up, and we bought tickets

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

Pictures from the one day at Serre Chevalier... massive and mostly unknown outside the country.  That's fine.

Forgot to mention the actual lift price... six day pass including those other resorts (others are pretty massive too) is about 315 Euro or 50 Euro a day

image.thumb.png.36330b3ceeb40de35486c25c07fa29cf.png

image.thumb.png.23bb50adcc388794744435d4f2ebbae6.png

image.thumb.png.a277cb640a16316a61fdff9c5e9d2275.png

image.thumb.png.0f9f795d1835450bad43aa4735e482e3.png

image.thumb.png.9df0218307c40bee14e82da7ad2bbd37.png

Costs for guiding through ESF to go to La Grave including transportation and lift pass...

image.thumb.png.6cb9208a360918a7a1c12edf592574b1.png

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Booked Whitefish for week during New Years and Spring Break for entire family.  Just got back from spending summer there.  Only cure to sadness of returning to Houston was to book a couple trips.

Also going to ski Aspen during February with just couples.  Probably stay 4 nights.  Lyle Lovett is playing Belly Up, and we bought tickets

Really want to ski Ajax and Highlands - never been there.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Pictures from the one day at Serre Chevalier... massive and mostly unknown outside the country.  That's fine.

Forgot to mention the actual lift price... six day pass including those other resorts (others are pretty massive too) is about 315 Euro or 50 Euro a day

Costs for guiding through ESF to go to La Grave including transportation and lift pass...

I like all four mountains.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I was in Taos (my home mountain) last weekend to watch my daughter run the Up and Over trail run and bought my season pass - I will ski there 3-4 days every month of ski season - Jan, Feb, and March and I will ski Big Sky in Jan and April.   Booked a trip to Japan in mid Feb - really stoked about crossing Japow off my bucket list....I just had my hip replaced in June so hoping it holds up to the skiing I have booked so far lol!  Positive thinking...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What kind of PT are you doing?  Stick with it - keep working out year round which to build out the muscles that support your joints.  That's been a big piece for me and my knees.

Japow would be awesome... honestly, anything in Japan is awesome.  I bet the yen will be friendly to you.

I have been doing at home PT - very light as per Dr. orders but starting with a trainer next month (10 weeks post surgery) and taking baby steps building myself back up.  I worked out rigorously pre-surgery so I went in being in really good shape and recovery has been easier than I expected but yes I will work out 3-4 days per week steadily starting next month and up to ski season.  Skiing is my only remaining passion that requires physical fitness and I am all in because I really love it.  I am actually excited to ski pain free now although I will most likely have to dial it down a little and stay off the more extreme stuff unless conditions are perfect but Im ok with that:)  Japan - yes the yen will be friendly - I am extremely excited to be going with experienced skiers that have been to Japow on several trips - we are going to be based in the North Main Island at a resort with a nationally recognized Onsen in an area where there are 45 resorts within a 45 min to 1 hour drive and we will ski a different resort everyday depending upon snowfall and conditions - Im pumped. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good year-round strength training makes such a difference when it comes to injury prevention, performance on the mountain, and recovery. Sounds like you'll be in a good place.

I'm kind of the same way in that skiing other than something like hiking is where my biggest passion lies when it comes to physical activity. Sometimes I see people playing soccer at the nearby park and I think about going and playing with them. But then I'm like, "nah. I don't want to screw things up with my knee for ski season."

• Hook 'Em 2

Poking around some of the guided freeriding options for our trip.  Came across this which "seems" like it is based on staying in the Serre Chevalier area and then using that as the base since all the listed locations are within one hour of Briancon.  Really solid pricing for guiding in some really epic locations.  I will probably do a single guide for a couple of days rather than a group since you never know about varying levels.  Even half a day freeriding within the immediate area with a private guide is only 193 Euros.  Typically and what we found at Les Grands Montets is they don't count transportation time as part of your booked time.  

https://www.esi-generation.com/en/freeridesessions.php

image.thumb.png.2fb46cfc0849362674a9ac060879bc65.png

Posted (edited)

Nothing extreme here... just pretty scenery in Alta Badia in the Dolomiti of Italy.  I learned to ski in the next valley over.  

Beautiful area.  Great thing is that Italians love bombing groomed runs (which is why Italy is known as possibly the best in the world at snowmaking and grooming... this guy explains it) so when you go off piste, you have the world at your disposal... at your own risk.

Tangent... anyone into freeriding should look into Monterosa.  A friend in the area occasionally posts pictures of skiing there.  The map looks deceptive as this shows marked runs but it is famous for freeriding and absolutely with a guide.  You can get 6000 foot verticals in a very snowsure area with traditional Italian villages.  The area sits under massive peaks with Monte Rosa towering above at 15,200 feet.

xlarge.jpg

Edited by texasdago

On 8/7/2024 at 1:26 PM, Frank Drebin said:

I like all four mountains.  

I’ve never skied Highlands or Buttermilk but I need to.  Snowmass is my favorite ski area in the country.  Been going there since the mid 90’s and it just gets better and better.  It has very long ski time with very little lift time.  I don’t believe I’ve ever had a lift line of more than 10 minutes and that was just a handful of times.  The on mountain restaurants are very good and then there’s Aspen just 12 minutes away.  Can’t wait for January when we’ll be back for two weeks.  The last two years have been near perfect ski conditions.  Hope it continues.  And the summer doesn’t suck.  We’ll be back in two weeks.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 12:30 PM, texasdago said:

Snowmass was awesome this past winter.  My first time to Aspen and really enjoyed it.  Splurged for an instructor on day 1 to learn the mountain and maximize terrain, minimize lift line.  Didnt do Ajax or Highlands, as we had novice skiiers on the trip too. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/26/2024 at 10:47 AM, 52-80 said:

getting into cross-country skiing this year.  all the cool people are doing it.

If you say anything about snow blades being cool, I'm punching you through the intertubes.

Cross-Country just looks like work.  I'd rather find a way to get injured the old fashioned way.

Anyway... keep dreaming y'all... ski season is not that far away...

image.thumb.png.48d33d9cdff7266380939c2596a518cd.png

On 8/26/2024 at 8:47 AM, 52-80 said:

getting into cross-country skiing this year.  all the cool people are doing it.

8 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

No we aren't.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

No we aren't.

We have been doing it for years. Get on board.

All the cool kids are doing it.  Nobody wants lift-served terrain.  

26 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

All the cool kids are doing it.  Nobody wants lift-served terrain.  

To be fair, I do both and prefer downhill, but cross country is a great workout and you're out in nature by yourself.  No douches with bluetooth speakers to ruin the peacefulness.

Does anyone have experience with Deer Valley, UT? I need to get on booking this trip for January '25, and I've never been. I will have 7 & 8 yr old girls who will need to be in lessons for a day or 2 before venturing off with me. Is there a good ski school here? Also, I need a place to stay that has a GREAT bar scene so my wife can "work" and people watch.

Dago,

My wife gave me permission to take the family to ski Europe in 2026. Any family friendly places in the Alps (the closest to an airport the better) you would recommend? I know this is not going to be cheap, but we do not require Euro luxury. 3-4 days skiing intermediate terrain is all we need. Is Geneva the closest airport to fly into? I have not even looked in to this yet as i ned to focus on Utah first for this season. 

2 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Does anyone have experience with Deer Valley, UT? I need to get on booking this trip for January '25, and I've never been. I will have 7 & 8 yr old girls who will need to be in lessons for a day or 2 before venturing off with me. Is there a good ski school here? Also, I need a place to stay that has a GREAT bar scene so my wife can "work" and people watch.

Dago,

My wife gave me permission to take the family to ski Europe in 2026. Any family friendly places in the Alps (the closest to an airport the better) you would recommend? I know this is not going to be cheap, but we do not require Euro luxury. 3-4 days skiing intermediate terrain is all we need. Is Geneva the closest airport to fly into? I have not even looked in to this yet as i ned to focus on Utah first for this season. 

It depends a) when you go and b) which airlines you want to use.  

I'm always a big believer in focusing on snowsure resorts... if I'm flying all the way there, I want good snow.   If flying into Torino is an option, I would say Montgenevre in France is excellent as you're also connected to the entire Milky Way/Via Lattea system in Italy.  If you don't mind going a bit further Serre Chevalier (mentioned at the top) really impressed me.  To the point that is our next trip.  Chamonix is not far from Geneva but takes a little work in the valley.  The best mountain in Grands Montets but its not the most intermediate friendly.  Closer to Geneva airport are Avoriaz, Flaine, etc... a little more purpose built.  From Milano you could go to Courmayeur and also buy a pass that gives you access to other mountains in Val d'Aosta.  Car helpful in all these cases.  Also, we've flown into Munich before and driven all the way over to Obergurgl in Austria... great small town, nice mountain, access to Solden.  Obergurgl is very snowsure and most of the hotels offer half-board options but not necessarily cheap.

Use this to keep track of school holidays in Europe... our spring break is generally awesome in Europe with few crowds.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167136&sid=690aa98945be90e86fb409760e2c4fd5

eric2425.png

So anyway, here's where I've have skied in Europe...

• Selva, Val Gardena and Alta Badia in Italy - beautiful, massive, interconnected... not as high so snow can be an issue but they are masters at snowmaking and grooming.  
  • Courmayeur, Italy - great proper town, good skiing with most above 1900m so relatively snowsure.  Great views of Mont Blanc.  Access to other mountains in the valley possible.
  • La Thuile, Italy - great mountain, snowsure, connected to La Rosiere in France.  Town meh.  Would not use it as a base.  Better to stay in Courmayeur and hop over for a day.
  • Pila, Italy - better as a commuter mountain from Aosta to visit while somewhere else in the valley
  • Obergurgl, Austria - really underrated but a great mountain, nice small town. lodging can be pricey but almost all close to slopes
  • Solden, Austria - bigger, big vertical, glacier skiing... its a big mountain with 007 cred but the town is maybe not as nice but could be a good base and then you can hit up Obergurgl
  • Chamonix, France - aka Le Tour/Vallorcine, Les Grands Montets, Brevent/Flegere, Les Houches - all a little disconnected but tons of skiing and you can chase the snow.  Grands Montets is epic and the cable car to the top should be running when you go which means top to bottom vertical of 6,600 feet.  Pass can also connect you to St. Gervais Les Bain and Megeve which is another large interconnected ski area.  Chamonix is a proper town and you can go up to Mont Blanc and ski the Valee Blanche.   In this valley, you can go as easy as you want or as extreme as you want
  • Montgenevre, France + Claviere/Sauze d'Oulx/Sestriere, Italy - can't say enough about the versatility of this area.  Great and cheap.  Tons of skiing.  Can recommend a ski school and ski guides.
  • Serre Chevalier, France - like I said, I can't wait to go back.  Has everything and is next to the amazing town of Briancon.  Lots of skiing above and below treeline.  Maybe the best French ski resort no one knows about.
  • Saas-Fee, Switzerland - Big vertical, glacier skiing, views for miles, wonderful car-free town and access to Hochsass and other smaller mountains nearby.  Get ready to pay out the ass for everything except for guides, ski school and maybe lift tickets.  Everything else will be $
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

Dago,

Cant speak too specifically to Deer Valley but have been to Park City 5 of the last 6 years (went to Breck last year). We usually carve out a day for DV and its fucking sweet.  As I understand it, they limit the # of lift tickets, so it has an exclusive feel. Plus no snowboarding, so it automatically weeds out a lot of people.  There are 4-5 top resorts on property (Montage et al level quality). While we have not stayed on DV proper, we have ventured to the Montage and you cant really go wrong with any of them.  They have a great bar and lobby.

We typically stay near the Town Lift  in PC so we can ski in ski out... several of the hotels on DV mountain afford the same convenience, ski valet, etc.  Our friends rented a house in DV on the loop that leads to the mountain and with one call, they send a suburban to pick you up , very nice perk.  They are basically on call for you to and from mountain, Park City, grocery etc... The ski schools are top notch, very good with kids according to our friends.  I may be off here, but if Park City is like skiing a country club, DV felt like the Masters. IMO its several cuts above PC.

One of things that has drawn us to this area is the proximity to SLC airport.  You really dont need a car to ski this area. 45 minute uber if you choose to not  rent a car.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Park City, UT trip booked for January 17-20. Deer Valley sounds like a little much for us. Plus, the prices are much more reasonable at the Canyons base. Staying next to the Grand Summit where I have stayed before, so the location is good. Really getting excited for some snow, now. 

Fun update: After spending the entire summer running a brush hog and chainsaw, I was able to get the kids practice hill installed at the house.  The plan worked out almost perfectly with the hill winding up being roughly 100 yards long with a 19 degree grade.  Perfect size and steepness for a 4 & 6 year old.  Was also able to get a safety net installed at the bottom incase one of the girls french-fried a little too much.  Next summer, the plan is to install an cable/lift system so I don't have to drag their asses back up the hill.  Stay tuned for pics.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

That place is 40 min, door to door, from our place in Colorado.  Driven by many times.  Will never stop there.

I mean you always have Hesperus or Purgatory but it's fun for grins.  Then again I don't have Schoolmarm in my backyard. 

On 9/18/2024 at 9:26 AM, LonghornJones said:

Park City, UT trip booked for January 17-20. Deer Valley sounds like a little much for us. Plus, the prices are much more reasonable at the Canyons base. Staying next to the Grand Summit where I have stayed before, so the location is good. Really getting excited for some snow, now. 

atta boy, looking dec day after Christmas to 30th for me.  not booked yet, just the car so far.

38 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't know why you guys do that to yourselves.  Shit, I am 15 minutes from the Mary Jane parking lots and I don't ski that week.

kids and not wanting them to miss school is basically it.  My guys ski trip we go more randon off weeks, but the kids are off and with 3 teens in 2 different schools (so different spring breaks) it gets tough.  We stay ski in-out and try stay at the top its not too bad.  one day we get a guide and can use ski school line, so its ok, plus Deer Valley thins the herd a bit with no snowboarders and price.....but i agree its not ideal.

14 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

kids and not wanting them to miss school is basically it.  My guys ski trip we go more randon off weeks, but the kids are off and with 3 teens in 2 different schools (so different spring breaks) it gets tough.  We stay ski in-out and try stay at the top its not too bad.  one day we get a guide and can use ski school line, so its ok, plus Deer Valley thins the herd a bit with no snowboarders and price.....but i agree its not ideal.

The week before Christmas is typically pretty slow.  All hell breaks loose on the 26th and stays that way through New Years Day.  I'd do that instead, personally.

On 9/25/2024 at 3:27 PM, Chewbacca said:

I don't know why you guys do that to yourselves.  Shit, I am 15 minutes from the Mary Jane parking lots and I don't ski that week.

All right if I make a late season trip to MJ, we should meet up

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, texasdago said:
All right if I make a late season trip to MJ, we should meet up

Done. House will be done in a couple weeks.

If I can pull it off I'll do an A-Basin/MJ trip conditions permitting.  If I'm really lucky I'll land Alterra as a client and I can turn it into a business trip.

• Like 1