2025 WR Kaliq Lockett

Machinator

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/contents/sachse-hc-on-new-texas-commit-kaliq-lockett-if-he-touches-the-ball-its-going-to-be-caught-234534664/?page=1

Hank South: Sachse HC on new Texas commit Kaliq Lockett: 'If he touches the ball, it's going to be caught.'

Spoiler

Texas added a significant piece to its 2025 class on Wednesday afternoon in five-star wide receiver Kaliq Lockett. The Sachse star chose the Longhorns over a slew of offers from Alabama, LSU, Florida State, Texas A&M, and many others. Mustangs head coach Mark "Red" Behrens spoke highly of the new UT pledge.

"He's grown so much maturity-wise from his freshman year," Behrens told Horns247. "And he was a good player as a freshman. As a matter of fact he played on our varsity the last five games. Just going through the maturity process, by the time he was a junior he was one of our captains and leaders. So he's come a long way from that standpoint. And athletically he's one of those kids that has body control galore. He's going to get bigger and thicker at the next level. So there's no question he's got a bright future."

From ninth grade to entering their senior seasons, a recruit typically undergoes major physical transformation. But for Lockett, it's how he's grown in another area of his play.

"The mental aspect of it, he's well-prepared," Behrens said. "He understands routes and what he has to do. All those little things. He's got some big ol' hands. If he touches the ball he's going to catch it. He reminds me a little bit of (Devin) Duvernay from that standpoint. If he touches the ball, it's going to be caught."

Texas fans are very familiar with the last Sachse wide receiver to star on the Forty Acres. And while Lockett and now tenured Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Devin Duvernay are physically different, they both get the job done.

"There's a difference physically," Behrens said. "You know, Kaliq is bigger and taller. The biggest difference is that Devin is just a compact speed ball, whereas Kaliq, he's a little more fluid from that standpoint. You know, the result was the same. If they catch it they're going to the house. That's the thing that both of them have always intrigued me about. Kaliq's got a bright future. I can't wait to see him develop as well. His maturing process has been huge, his leadership skills have been huge. He's pretty vocal. I think he's going to be a special player.

"We're breaking in a new quarterback this year, so we're going to figure out some other ways to get him the ball. Not necessarily just throwing it down the field. Who knows, we might use him like the Cowboys use CeeDee (Lamb) a little bit, move him in the backfield, something crazy. We're going to get him the ball."

At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, Lockett is ranked the No. 5 wide receiver and the No. 20 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Hook 'Em 5

Steve Wiltfong: Five-star WR Kaliq Lockett commits to Texas

Spoiler

Sachse (Texas) High On3 Industry five-star receiver Kaliq Lockett is headed to Texas.

Lockett announced his college plans on Wednesday afternoon, committing to Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorns over his other finalists in Alabama, Florida State, LSU and Texas A&M.

“It really came down to putting on for my home state and belief in what Coach Sark and Coach (Chris) Jackson have in-state for me.

“I’m going to have to do all the work. But I know if I do the work, if I compete, buy in, learn the playbook, get good grades and stay out of trouble, I know I’ll see the field freshman year and I know I’ll be successful.”

The 6-foot-1.5, 175-pound Lockett is tabbed by On3 as the nation’s No. 3 receiver and No. 17 prospect overall. He becomes commit No. 17 for the Longhorns in the 2025 recruiting cycle.

Lockett always had a keen eye on the Longhorns
Texas led for Lockett heading into the summer and official visit season. He took trips to all of his finalists with the Longhorns getting the last one the weekend of June 21.

“It’s hard to say no to your home state,” Lockett said. “Especially if it’s a school you’ve been liking. You’re from the state of Texas and everyone talks about them.

“And God had put it in my heart. I knew Texas was the school for me.”

The opportunity to play for Sarkisian and Jackson is what excited Lockett he most.

“Being around Coach Sark is a blessing itself,” Lockett said. “He’s put a lot of guys in the league and he’s been around a lot of talented guys. Right now I’m going to be in the big pond full of sharks and piranhas and I know I’m one of them sharks. That’s one of the big things as well.”

Lockett talked highly of Texas throughout his process.

”Coach Sark’s offensive mastermind style of offense. Coach Jackson’s perspective as an NFL receiver coach coming from the NFL to college and him translating his NFL perspective to college. I like how Texas is a little bit more close than everybody else. And also my past dealings with Texas.”

Sarkisian and Texas pushing for another terrific class
Lockett becomes the first receiver to commit to Texas in the 2025 cycle. Moving forward the Longhorns will aim to add fellow On3 Industry five-star Jaime Ffrench who will announce his commitment on Aug. 30.

Other five-stars Texas is pursuing include top-ranked safety Jonah Williams, top-ranked athlete Michael Terry III and one of the nation’s most coveted offensive tackles Michael Fasusi.

Sarkisian and company will continue to stay on five-star receiver and Oregon commit Dakorien Moore as well.

• Hook 'Em 6

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ian Boyd: 

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He’ll need to gain strength and make sure he can get off the line against physical press coverage

A Football Coach:

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Some highlights of him fighting off the press and I think that might be a real skill for him given the strong hands.

• Hook 'Em 2