Peacock's Olympic Coverage is Cock

Holy shit! Commercials DURING EVENTS? And I don't just mean in breaks - they are literally running commercials during play of events!!!

Right now I'm watching Brazil-USA in women's volleyball . This has been a great match going back and forth (USA just won set 1). But during a key moment in the first set (Brazil made a big block to go up 16-15 and take their first lead of the match) Peacock cuts away to run ads! WHAT. THE. FUCK? They missed 3 points and came back right after 18-16 Brazil.

They just missed the first point of the 2nd set for ads!

I first noticed this yesterday with Men's volleyball and water polo.

I just don't get it.

A lot of people have given NBC/Peacock credit for FINALLY showing so much stuff live - yes, kind of true. But they've failed to do this for well over a decade, when they've had access to the world feeds for a long ass time and never shown them. I had to use a VPN to pull the BBC feed as far back as London, but it could have been longer and I just wasn't aware. So ONLY NOW is NBC finally doing what they can to show us everything.

FUCK!!! They cut to commercial AGAIN right as a serve was about to go!!! COME ON NBC!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

I switched over to cable, which appears to not have this - they PIP the ads with play. I should say they PIP play with the ads, which isn't a lot better than full cut away, but you get to see something.

If you have Peacock, you can go to specific events and get the world feed, not the NBC version.  Track and Field is labeled "main feed," this puts you in the stadium and takes you around to all the events going on between the races on the track.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

Some people just want to bitch. The coverage has been the best ever,  mostly because of the use of Peacock. You can watch every individual event, Gold Zone is great as a curated source, several multi view channels for the ADHD in you, replays are available for many events. 

Are there maybe too many commercials for our liking? Sure. But NBC is spending billions in rights fees and production costs. They have to be able to recoup those expenses. 

IMG_1610.gif

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

Some people just want to bitch. The coverage has been the best ever,  mostly because of the use of Peacock. You can watch every individual event, Gold Zone is great as a curated source, several multi zone channels for the ADHD in you, eplays are available for many events. 

Are there maybe too many commercials for our liking? Sure. But NBC is spending billions in rights fees and production costs. They have to recoup those expenses. 

IMG_1610.gif

Came here to post something right along these lines.

people bitching about not having coverage. And then bitch about having commercials.

You get neither  or you get both.

You can get coverage with no commercials… if you turn it over to the government to produce. But then you get nothing …in your bank account 

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

A lot of people have given NBC/Peacock credit for FINALLY showing so much stuff live - yes, kind of true. But they've failed to do this for well over a decade, when they've had access to the world feeds for a long ass time and never shown them.

They had all this for Tokyo too.

After screwing up the Olympics forever with stupid Bob Costas human interest baloney they’ve finally started showing events. It’s way better, from a terrible past starting point. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Some people just want to bitch. The coverage has been the best ever,  mostly because of the use of Peacock. You can watch every individual event, Gold Zone is great as a curated source, several multi view channels for the ADHD in you, replays are available for many events. 

Are there maybe too many commercials for our liking? Sure. But NBC is spending billions in rights fees and production costs. They have to be able to recoup those expenses. 

IMG_1610.gif

Yes, fine, NBC/Peacock have their best coverage yet. Congrats to them. About damn time.

And this isn't about "too many commercials for our liking." So long as they don't interrupt the events, I don't give a damn how many ads they run. This is about them running commercials in the middle of events as play is happening. Like I talked about this morning, the volleyball match was going on, Brazil blocked the US to go up 16-15. They showed the replay and right in the middle of the replay, they cut to commercial. There was no timeout, no stoppage of play (beyond the next point), nothing. When they came back Brazil was up 18-16 and we missed 3 points. WTF? This would be like Sunday Night Football having a key interception and right as the next snap was about to happen, they cut too commercial, and when they come back the offense just scored a TD.

And Boo Hoo for NBC. They want to recoup things? Well guess what, that's what my Peacock subscription is for. They can fucking deal with it.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2024 at 3:10 PM, TonyTexas said:

now if we could just get this sort of coverage for golf and the Premier League.

NBC/Peacock knocked it out of the park with the Olympics. phenomenal access to all events.  i just wish there were more multiview options for golf coverage and EPL games.