Bye bye CrossFit? Man dies during CrossFit games

Jive Turkey

CrossFit games are in Fort Worth. First event is a 4 mile run followed by a swim (half mile I believe). It’s hot AF. Serbian dude drowned during the swim. Safety team members on paddle boards essentially watched it and didn’t do shit. This was all on tv. 

I know CrossFit isn’t going away but they should pay dearly for this. Monetarily and in the court of public opinion.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

28 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is CrossFit an entity?  I just thought it was of an idea for people to gather at gyms and toss loaded barbells to each other in between pull up sets.

There is a corporate entity which, IIRC, makes money from licensing gyms and education. But Greg Glassman got canceled after an “All Lives Matter” rant four years ago and I’m surprised that it’s still around. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Sounds like it. Why the fuck would they put swimming after anything? The organizers should be neutered to keep that stupidity out of the gene pool.

[Paris] Yeah, you swim first so everyone shits themselves during the run [Olympics]

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Is CrossFit an entity?  I just thought it was of an idea for people to gather at gyms and toss loaded barbells to each other in between pull up sets.

13 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

There is a corporate entity which, IIRC, makes money from licensing gyms and education. But Greg Glassman got canceled after an “All Lives Matter” rant four years ago and I’m surprised that it’s still around. 

This was early in the cross fit craze but a neighbor's doofus kid was way into those circles. I believe it was a $5k annual fee to use the name cross fit, and they had lawyers going after people that didn't pay or used similar names like X-Fit or Kross Fit or whatever stupid derivative people could come up with. 

Posted (edited)

Damn, this is going to cost them. Supposedly a bystander tried to jump in and help but was turned away by a "lifeguard". Whose life was he guarding, exactly? Also, the dipshit "lifeguard" was within 30 yards of the victim. 

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2024/08/08/crossfit-games-athlete-lazar-dukic-dies-from-drowning-moments-before-crossing-finish-line-in-tragic-video/

Edited by crash_davis
  • Rage+1 2

Damn, dude had a brother competing in the same event and was running around looking for his brother. Video won't like me share at specific time but fast forward to 1:18 of the video. Talks about the brother and the absolute negligence by the "lifeguards". This is going to cost them.

Horrible.  I don't understand what the life guards could have possibly been doing.  How do you miss that?  Is it going to come out that these were just cross-fit bros without any basic lifeguard training out there?  Or were they just too concerned with "stopping the competition" and what impact that would have on the results?  Just ridiculous regardless.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah. It was just pay to play to become a trainer. I had a couple clients that had gyms 15ish years ago. They both changed the names of their gyms after a couple of years because the annual licensing fees were regarded. 

Reebok bought CrossFit a few years ago. 

The "lifeguard" doesn't have any type of can, tube or other rescue flotation on him, other than a paddleboard. Good luck saving a 200+ pound dude in the midst of the water death throes.

guard.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

20 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Horrible.  I don't understand what the life guards could have possibly been doing.  How do you miss that?  Is it going to come out that these were just cross-fit bros without any basic lifeguard training out there?  Or were they just too concerned with "stopping the competition" and what impact that would have on the results?  Just ridiculous regardless.

Yeah that's my guess.  Just slapped lifeguard duties on some random employees of the event.  Doubt those liability waivers cover gross negligence.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Damn, dude had a brother competing in the same event and was running around looking for his brother. Video won't like me share at specific time but fast forward to 1:18 of the video. Talks about the brother and the absolute negligence by the "lifeguards". This is going to cost them.

“She just did a quick paddle around and paddled out.”

ouch

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

The "lifeguard" doesn't have any type of can, tube or other rescue flotation on him, other than a paddleboard. Good luck saving a 200+ pound dude in the midst of the water death throes.

guard.jpg

I know fuck all about being a lifeguard, but one would think he could at least paddle his boat over there so the guy could try to hang on to it. He could get off and they could both hang on to it while waiting for more help. 

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Damn, this is going to cost them. Supposedly a bystander tried to jump in and help but was turned away by a "lifeguard". Whose life was he guarding, exactly? Also, the dipshit "lifeguard" was within 30 yards of the victim. 

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2024/08/08/crossfit-games-athlete-lazar-dukic-dies-from-drowning-moments-before-crossing-finish-line-in-tragic-video/

As a lifeguard you need Lazar focus if you want to prevent something life this from happing.

12 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

As a lifeguard you need Lazar focus if you want to prevent something life this from happing.

Unfortunately, this woman seemed to be relying on Lazarus focus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah that's my guess.  Just slapped lifeguard duties on some random employees of the event.  

Same.  I have to think that anyone who has served as an actual lifeguard would IMMEDIATELY be moving toward anyone in distress.  It's baked into you as part of the job.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah. It was just pay to play to become a trainer. I had a couple clients that had gyms 15ish years ago. They both changed the names of their gyms after a couple of years because the annual licensing fees were regarded. 
Reebok bought CrossFit a few years ago. 

Reebok never owned Crossfit, but they have not been affiliated in any way with CrossFit for several years now.

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Mitch doesn't approve.

confused-mitch-buchannon.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got a Lifesaving Merit Badge at BSA summer Camp Constantin when I was about 13.  It was pretty equivalent to most lifeguarding training/certification at the time.

We had to effect a rescue on a struggling/drowning swimmer, portrayed very enthusiastically by a camp counselor somewhere between 16 and 18 years of age.

Those guys loved beating the shit out of us ringmeats during the rescue.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was trained as a life guard for scouts long ago.

Just echoing what others have said here.

The recorded video plus the comments from the participant... BIG court case coming. Fuck those "life guards" who did fuck all and the people that put them there.

My oldest son is a lifeguard for City of Austin. He is getting his open water certification this fall so he can guard at Barton. 

I will be shocked if these “lifeguards” from crossfit event had that certification (or any training)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

My oldest son is a lifeguard for City of Austin. He is getting his open water certification this fall so he can guard at Barton. 

I will be shocked if these “lifeguards” from crossfit event had that certification (or any training)

:::They didn't::: narrator

For some reason I always assumed the Cross part of Crossfit meant meant it was Jesus stuff combined with the ridiculous, borderline dangerous exercises you see videos of

I guess it just means cross training. Damn I feel dumb

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

For some reason I always assumed the Cross part of Crossfit meant meant it was Jesus stuff combined with the ridiculous, borderline dangerous exercises you see videos of

I guess it just means cross training. Damn I feel dumb

image.jpeg.8ece0cad841164120b2ddb5c40e4518e.jpeg

Dude was able to move a 2-ton stone when he was dead... you don't think he lifted?

Edited by DixonHur
  • Drool 1

There was a mud run a few years back in Fort Worth where another guy died crossing the Trinity.  I remember some participants saying the river crossings were pure chaos and they were surprised only one person didn't make it.  

54 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I presume the rest of the games are cancelled?  How can anyone be confident the rest of the events are safe?

Nope. They took a vote and it’s proceeding. Apparently the brother said it’s what he would have wanted. Whoever is in charge must have a great attorney. 

• Hook 'Em 1